PDA

View Full Version : Undead Bane Archer npc [PF]

Reprimand
2013-06-30, 03:55 PM
Trying to work on an archer for fighting undead in pathfinder.

I was going to use the version from the npc codex but I didn't want to go arcane archer and I don't know a lot about rangers.

I was going to go Human ranger 17, Ranged fighting style, Bond (companions), Favored enemy Undead, Humans, Evil Outsiders, Need 4th (Thinking another humanoid race).
Favored terrain: Underground, Urban, (Need 3rd)

Does anyone know important feats for archers in pathfinder or good ranger spells? I was already thinking about entangle and snare to set up traps. Resist energy, barkskin.

Ideas for mundane and magical equipment would be good as well.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2013-06-30, 04:57 PM
For dealing with skeletons and zombies you'll want weapons that do slashing, piercing, and bludgeoning damage. Off the top of my head that would involve throwing weapons like sling bullets, throwing hammers, throwing axes, and so on.

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-30, 05:08 PM
Well an undead bane disruption bow would be useful. Holy may be a bit much to add on, but holy arrows are good additions.

Reprimand
2013-06-30, 05:28 PM
I should mention that the archer is uncaring neutral and believes morals are pointless as long as law and good protect the undead scourge. She knows of several nobles that are actually undead but doesn't have the power to make those accusations. She is willing to stoop to any low that might bring about their end and that's means some pretty extreme things. Holy weapons and good aligned spells are definitely out of the picture.

She already has special arrows designed to deal slashing and bludgeoning damage.

Things I need are like traps, feats, skills to invest in for dealing with necromancy or undead. Or just archery in general. Perhaps alternate class features from other book would help as well.

Even good potions, scrolls, or arrow types (like +1 ghost touch or +1 Undead bane, etc) to invest in.

It is also worth mentioning that she is using a collapsible short bow since it can be used in numerous situations when a longbow cannot such as being mounted or concealing it on her person.

gartius
2013-07-01, 05:55 AM
a composite longbow can be used on horseback. holy weapons can only not be used by evil so neutral people can still use them.

best tactic is a +5 bow and then have +1 (whatever) arrows to adapt to the situation, try and get the adaptive property on the bow that way you dont have to sell the bow off each time your strength goes up.

feats to recommend

clustered shots
rapid shot
many shot
deadly aim
precise shot,
improved precise shot
point blank master can be picked up as a combat style feat with weapon focus
snap shot
improved snap shot

best ranger spell i know of is instant enemy, means one enemy counts as one of your favoured enemies (hello highest bonus)
abundant ammunition for those really expensive adamantine arrows
gravity bow
aspect of the falcon - if you get the bracers of these even better.
named bullet

Lord Haart
2013-07-01, 07:14 AM
In 3.5 (sorry, i can't really give a good advice about Pathfinder, so it depends on whether ToB is allowed on your table and how appropriate PF barbarian is), i think i'd went about it as a Barbarian/Unarmed swordsage with Zen Archery, with a possible dip into Ranger for feats and for favored enemy: humanoids (human). Barbarian gives you rage, which imitates venom intake perfectly, and whirling frenzy rage variant works with ranged attacks (there's also a rage variant that pumps str and dex instead of str and con, but even when i was building a barbarian archer without Zen Archery it seemed to be inferior to whirling frenzy, and Zen Archery renders it useless). Swordsage gives you wis to AC, giving you a reason to walk around in no armor but your mask; an ability to be competent at unarmed punchfest, because while archery is good, without being able to break bats with bare hands you won't live up to your namesake; and maneuvers, of which very few are compatible with archery offense-wise, but the vast array of counters and movement options you get is very useful and reinforces the theme of "smart fighter" (setting sun counters, in particular, insert brawl into your immediate actions so you can supplex them while you rapidshoot them). Also, this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11918094&postcount=16). Zen Archery allows you to run off two stats (str for ranged damage with a composite longbow as well as for melee, wis for AC and ranged attack rating; dex should be a third-highest since archery feats still require it and you're going to be undead anyway, so it's not like you want to invest into constitution). Finally, snag Necropolitan template to become undead and go to town.

Reprimand
2013-07-01, 11:49 AM
Most 3.5 sources are not allowed.

What are some good anti undead feats or spells to have at higher levels even on like wands or something.

I was thinking like Favored Defense and/or Unquenchable Flame of Life late game when I have nothing else worthwhile to take.

We are using some spells from spell compendium so if you have suggestions from there that will probably help.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-07-02, 06:46 PM
To make this quicker... I agree with every single thing gartius said, except...

- Getting Bane arrows is fine; I'd put Holy on the bow itself, it comes up frequently enough.
- Good feats, though (Improved) Snap shot is a bunch of extra needed feats, and if you're going for it, you would also want Combat Reflexes. Also, by level 17 Deadly Aim may no longer be worth using. Once your damage per arrow reaches high enough, the extra 2X damage is not worth the loss of X from attack rolls. Sure, it helps with damage reduction, but...that's what clustered shots is for (and RAW CS works just fine on multiple enemies, it just needs to be a full attack).

Other stuff:

Terrain Bond is also a decent spell.

For traits, the one that adds +2 CL up to your HD (Magical Lineage?) is sort of a no-brainer to get CL penalty down to only -1. Likewise with Boon Companion feat for your pet (if you have one).

You may want Mounted Combat feat if doing mounted archery. Note that even strict RAW where newer options are murky, Ranger can get a Roc companion for a flying mount. There's also an archetype for Hippogriff.

Aside from the awesome Bracers of Falcon's Aim, another good cheap item is boots of friendly terrain from APG.

Also, if you should gain scent from race or a spell (and/or if your pet has it!), pheromone arrows are incredible. Cost something like 15 gp each, and hitting an enemy with one gives anyone with scent (presumably, they have to attack from within range on their scent) +2 attack and damage against the foe for...far longer than you should need to kill him.

gartius
2013-07-02, 09:05 PM
touche i forgot about combat reflexes for snapshot line, agree with the holy property as well

i've found that deadly aim is still useful for the sheer fact that the damage it turns out really helps, take today with my zen archer/inquisitor archer, the extra 6 damage for each attack for the -3 penalty ended up being 32 extra damage overall because of how many attacks i was getting off and it was for only one opponent where it wasnt worth deadly aiming and considering a rangers BAB with favoured enemy should mitigate the penalty for deadly aim without worry making it even less likely to not use Deadly aim. (sorry run on sentence but half asleep)

i do know of an even better arrow but since you asked for undead focused i didnt give it- thistle arrow, give all damage of the attack as bleed effect for 1d6 rounds.

if you can see if you can get a custom quiver of abundant ammunition - i know it exists as a bow property, but a +3 quality is too high a cost for it 8k is about right (which is what the spell would be priced at).

some more spells
named bullet- one ammunition per casting is touch AC within 30 and is potential threat no matter what you roll? yes please
bow spirit looks cool
terrain bond- see instant enemy for terrain
venomous bolt looks okay as it is swift action spell.
fickle winds-wind wall but even more awesome
bloodhound-gives you scent