PDA

View Full Version : destroying fragile items with ranged weapons.

Yari
2013-06-30, 04:52 PM
Hi

Are there any rules for specifically shooting out lanterns with missile weapon? They seem unreasonably tough for what they are by the standard rules (with being broken not effecting them).
I want to have a session where the PCs are surrounded by one huge swarm of vermin in a cave, with only the light they are carrying keeping them at bay (like that film 'pitch black) and some meenlocks trying to pick them off.

Meenlocks shooting slings/shortbows at lanterns seem very ineffective, considering how fragile they are in real life.

Also, any tips for trying to make darkness working for me?

Deophaun
2013-06-30, 06:22 PM
Well a lantern is basically just a metal container filled with oil and a wick stuck in it. Being such a simple device, it will be tough to break. It's not going to pop like a lightbulb. Even if you spilled the oil, the wick is still soaked in it, so it will take a while to burn out. I wouldn't expect there to be a rule to model something like that..

And why is a single lantern the only source of light? None of them bought torches? None of them can cast light? Why does it sound like there's a train coming through?

TuggyNE
2013-06-30, 08:21 PM
Well a lantern is basically just a metal container filled with oil and a wick stuck in it. Being such a simple device, it will be tough to break. It's not going to pop like a lightbulb. Even if you spilled the oil, the wick is still soaked in it, so it will take a while to burn out. I wouldn't expect there to be a rule to model something like that..

It won't pop, no, but impact could easily blow out the flame. I'd put it as something like a 50% chance of extinguishing on any shot that hits the wick (including the AC modifiers for size, and the possibility of needing to break through the glass first).

Still, I agree that the plot here is also fragile, and that you should expect your players to, as it were, destroy it with ranged weapons by mistake.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-06-30, 08:35 PM
It won't pop, no, but impact could easily blow out the flame. I'd put it as something like a 50% chance of extinguishing on any shot that hits the wick (including the AC modifiers for size, and the possibility of needing to break through the glass first).

Still, I agree that the plot here is also fragile, and that you should expect your players to, as it were, destroy it with ranged weapons by mistake.

My question is what level are the player's? A lantern doesn't give off a lot of much heat so clearly its the light that's keeping the swarm at bay. Usually the first magic item I buy is something with continual flame(divine) cast on it. Not much the Meenlocks could do to such an item without actually prying it from the PC's hands.

Yari
2013-07-01, 01:17 AM
They are level 1, their only means of light (unless they prepare further, which can't do much about) is 1 hooded and 1 spotlight lantern and a whole bunch of torches.
They are mostly human with a half elf for low light vision so I thought this may be my only chance to make darkness something scary, coz yeah, it's usually a non issue.
I don't want to plunge my PCs into total darkness, just keep them under pressure as they have to relight torches to keep the vermin away, have little gribblies doing mischief and fooling with their minds from the shadows etc.

If the plot is fragile, any ideas? Or just scrap it?
I'm pretty new at this.

TuggyNE
2013-07-01, 03:33 AM
They are level 1, their only means of light (unless they prepare further, which can't do much about) is 1 hooded and 1 spotlight lantern and a whole bunch of torches.
They are mostly human with a half elf for low light vision so I thought this may be my only chance to make darkness something scary, coz yeah, it's usually a non issue.
I don't want to plunge my PCs into total darkness, just keep them under pressure as they have to relight torches to keep the vermin away, have little gribblies doing mischief and fooling with their minds from the shadows etc.

Hmm, OK, that sounds more workable, since the PCs are rather limited by level, and darkness is actually a plausible threat here.

Diarmuid
2013-07-01, 10:08 AM
Why not just use the Ranged Sunder rules?

Lord Vukodlak
2013-07-01, 01:13 PM
Why not just use the Ranged Sunder rules?

Because its a 1st level party and the ranged sunder feat is level 5.

Diarmuid
2013-07-01, 02:47 PM
I didnt say give the enemies the Ranged Sunder feat, I was suggesting to use that mechanic for the bad guys' ability to "break" the lanterns.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-07-01, 03:04 PM
I didnt say give the enemies the Ranged Sunder feat, I was suggesting to use that mechanic for the bad guys' ability to "break" the lanterns.

Except without that feat there is no ranged sunder.

Yari
2013-07-01, 04:50 PM
The pathfinder rules for breaking objects put lanterns (being steel I would guess) at hardness 10, so they are invulnerable to sling bullets/arrows, especially as ranged damage is halved against objects.

I'll probably just have them aim for the (diminutive?) glass part and have a 50/50 they go out, as Tuggyne suggested.