PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Fixes?

EriktheRed
2013-06-30, 05:28 PM
Is there a thread somewhere with people's favorite fixes for various classes perceived as underpowered by a lot of people, such as fighter and monk?

If you have a favorite "fix" for fighter or monk, I'd love to see a link for it.

eggynack
2013-06-30, 05:30 PM
I'm pretty sure that around these parts, most people's favorite fighter and monk fixes are the warblade and unarmed swordsage, respectively. It's not universally true, but they're pretty great classes, and have a lot of the flavor of their matching classes.

EriktheRed
2013-06-30, 05:38 PM
In your opinion, how much of a nerf is it to ToB to remove Counters? I love Tome of Battle, but I have some concerns on how much of a difficulty counters might cause with a play by post game.

Kree West
2013-06-30, 05:49 PM
Counters can complicate play by post games. I can see why you would remove counter, however counters are a useful tool of ToB classes. If you homebrew much then I would add more maneuvers. If you don't then I think it will still be fine.

Snowbluff
2013-06-30, 05:52 PM
I'm pretty sure that around these parts, most people's favorite fighter and monk fixes are the warblade and unarmed swordsage, respectively. It's not universally true, but they're pretty great classes, and have a lot of the flavor of their matching classes.
"I don't like how much monk and fighter suck!"
"How about this free warblade class?"
"No! That sucks, Weaboo!"

Not universal is right. :smalltongue:

In your opinion, how much of a nerf is it to ToB to remove Counters? I love Tome of Battle, but I have some concerns on how much of a difficulty counters might cause with a play by post game.
Diamond Mind would suffer really bad. I can't think of a counter that would hurt the flow too badly, at least not anymore than readying action or other immediate actions.

The Diamond Mind counters don't even require extra posts. It just replaces a save roll. If you are going to do that, I would suggest taking a good look at each one before deciding to cut it.

Kree West
2013-06-30, 06:03 PM
Snowbluff I think he is cutting them due to play by post complexities. For example if some one attacks and you have a counter, depending on the rules you could miss your opprotunity easily.

Cheiromancer
2013-06-30, 06:04 PM
jiriku's monk (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150122) is fairly famous; google suggests it if your spelling is close. He also has a fighter here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194834). Check out his other stuff (visible in his profile) too.

Snowbluff
2013-06-30, 06:23 PM
The Diamond Mind counters don't even require extra posts. It just replaces a save roll. If you are going to do that, I would suggest taking a good look at each one before deciding to cut it.

Snowbluff I think he is cutting them due to play by post complexities. For example if some one attacks and you have a counter, depending on the rules you could miss your opprotunity easily.
I fail to see how I did not addressed that.

Waker
2013-06-30, 06:28 PM
Here are some of my favorite fixes:
Healer
Marshal
Truenamer

Darth Stabber
2013-06-30, 09:15 PM
A wide variety of sucky or suckish classes are allowed to be gestalted together in a normal game (Soulknife, Soulborn, Adept, Warrior, Samurai, Healer, Expert, Dragon Shaman, Knight, Warmage, and Marshal). This type of gestalting cannot be used as a dip (minimum 5 levels).

Paladin kinda sucks (without a lot of splat support), so Crusader replaces it for everything but dips

Monk sucks so swordsage replaces it for everything but dips

Fighter sucks so Warblade replaces it for everything but dips

Barbarian's have pounce by default, you can trade it for the speed.

Caster PRCs with more than 1/2 spell progression gain caster levels (ala practiced caster) on non-progression levels.

Tier 1 and 2 are required to have lost one caster level to multiclassing or PRC's by ten, and tier 1's must also delays 9s til 20, tier 2 til 19.

Snowbluff
2013-06-30, 09:52 PM
A wide variety of sucky or suckish classes are allowed to be gestalted together in a normal game (Soulknife, Soulborn, Adept, Warrior, Samurai, Healer, Expert, Dragon Shaman, Knight, Warmage, and Marshal). This type of gestalting cannot be used as a dip (minimum 5 levels).

This is a fix I want to see play sometime. It looks quite interesting.

Darth Stabber
2013-06-30, 10:20 PM
This is a fix I want to see play sometime. It looks quite interesting.

Some of the highlights include

Bladeborn (soulborn//soulknife) - Fixes both classes problems fairly well, contributes some good melee damage, only really works if you are good at incarnum. Combining psychic strike and smite works very well.

Samurai//Dragon Shaman - Offers a lot of interesting little synergies, especially since you get a free skill focus that can be used on Intimidate.

Any of the non-casters//Adept - adept is WAY BETTER than people think, and when added to a non-caster you can get a lot of milage out of it. Even Warrior//adept or expert//adept will outperform expectations.

Humble Master
2013-06-30, 10:35 PM
Any of the non-casters//Adept - adept is WAY BETTER than people think, and when added to a non-caster you can get a lot of milage out of it. Even Warrior//adept or expert//adept will outperform expectations. I second this. Adept gets a cool variety of flashy and subtle spells and can easily do more than people expect.

eggynack
2013-06-30, 10:39 PM
I second this. Adept gets a cool variety of flashy and subtle spells and can easily do more than people expect.
It's a pretty great class. You'd expect its list to be a pile of crap, but then you actually look at the spells, and they get great ones at every level. I especially like 2nd level, with web, invisibility, and mirror image, and they get frigging polymorph at 4th. There's a reason they're one above the healer on the tier list.

Humble Master
2013-06-30, 11:02 PM
It just always cracked me up that Adepts, an NPC class, are better than a number of PC classes. Adepts for the win :smallbiggrin: