PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Plant Based Puzzles

Jett Midknight
2013-06-30, 06:04 PM
Hello Playgrounders. I am getting everything ready for my weekly D&D session. This week my party is going to be going through a dungeon that is basically the Deku Tree from Zelda. I have it filled to the brim with traps and plant based monsters for them to fight, but I am having trouble coming up with simple puzzles for the to solve. Does anyone have some fun/iconic puzzles that I could use that fit the theme?

Kree West
2013-06-30, 06:11 PM
Hmmm. You could just do standard puzzels and refluff them or do some strange plant thing with Co2 and oxygen.

Jett Midknight
2013-06-30, 06:39 PM
Hmmm. You could just do standard puzzels and refluff them or do some strange plant thing with Co2 and oxygen.

Got any ideas for standard puzzles I can use? This is my 3rd dungeon and I'm running out of ideas.

Waker
2013-06-30, 06:44 PM
Hmm, I could make some quick suggestions.
-Redirect a shaft of light using mirrors to a certain plant. Opens a door or give you something you need for later like a flower or fruit?
-Ground and walls are covered with plants of different colors and shapes. Stepping on the red, star shaped flowers results in a poison pollen being released but stepping on the red hexagonal flowers does nothing.
-Walls are extremely slippery or covered in a noxious fungus. Party needs to coax a long vine down the shaft.
-Rather than a Sphinx, have them face the Riddle of the Venus Flytrap!

Yeah, I need a nap.

Ionbound
2013-06-30, 06:46 PM
Maybe give them a magic item that makes plants grow or wither and have puzzles based on that?

Jett Midknight
2013-06-30, 06:52 PM
-Rather than a Sphinx, have them face the Riddle of the Venus Flytrap!

Yeah, I need a nap.
I really like this haha. Definitely doing it.

Maybe give them a magic item that makes plants grow or wither and have puzzles based on that?
This is a good idea. I was planning on them fighting a miniboss too. Could be a perfect drop for him.

kreenlover
2013-06-30, 06:55 PM
Building on fire daemon said, have the magic item wither nearby plants of one kind, while making other kinds of plants grow more than usual.
separate these kinds visually. for example, when they bring the itme near, the red vines shrivel up, while the blue vines grow larger, and sprout flowers.
When they take the item away, things return to how they were before.
Then throw them for a loop and give them purple vines :smallwink:

They need to figure out how to wither the vines covering the doorway, without withering the vines woven into a bridge.
They need to figure out how to wither one set of plants without causing the other set to grow and undo what they have done.
They need to bring both the item that makes plants wither, and the Red Flower from Waker's sunbeam plant at the same time. item makes flower die.
The item affects things within a 5ft radius. Bridge allows for only three party members to get across, item has time limit. classic family and lantern and night bridge problem (This guy (http://www.braingle.com/brainteasers/14711/family-crossing-bridge.html)
and so on and so forth