PDA

View Full Version : Best Warmage Feats?

kreenlover
2013-06-30, 07:14 PM
Does anyone have general advice for warmage feats? All the handbooks I could find have literally nothing about feats.
Just, expand your spell list as fast as you can

StreamOfTheSky
2013-06-30, 09:11 PM
Uh... metamagic feats are good, of course. Split Ray, Empower, Quicken, and Sculpt probably being the best. And extend and silent on cheap rods.

Improved Initiative
Obtain Familiar
Improved Familiar
The "bloodline" feats from dragon mag. that give you one spell for each level 1-9
Extra Edge (mostly for low level games)
Arcane Mastery
"Versatile Spellcaster"? (feat that lets you swap two spell slots for one of 1 level higher)
Easy Metamagic (reduces cost of a meta feat by 1, down to +1)
Practical Metamagic (reduces cost of a meta feat by 1, down to +0)

jaybird
2013-06-30, 09:30 PM
Arcane Thesis.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-06-30, 09:37 PM
Magical Training (PGtF) to get a spellbook. You've already copied several spells into it, and you can prepare and cast those spells as though you're a Wizard. Since you've already learned spells and put them into your spellbook, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to do so again. This allows you to learn Wizard spells, though your Warmage spell slots can still only be used to cast Warmage spells.

Versatile Spellcaster (RotD) allows you to spend two spell slots of the same level to cast any spell you know of one level higher. This means you can now cast those Wizard spells you've learned via Magical Training, though only when using this feat. Note a shrewd DM will rule that your character must have his spellbook open to the spell in question and read it from the page as he casts it, making it almost useless for combat. This does however give put some extreme out of combat utility and buffs at your fingertips, particularly the extremely situational types of spells.

Other things to consider would include anything that allows early qualification for Rainbow Servant (CD), which for a Warmage I'm fond of using the built-in allowance to reflavor it to Phoenix Servant. An Illumian with Improved Sigil: Krau and Versatile Spellcaster can take Rainbow Servant at 2nd level as long as you work the special prerequisite into your background. You can still have Magical Training at 1st level if you take flaws. Note that this will give you spontanous access to the entire Cleric spell list at 11th level, as well as spontaneous access to whatever Wizard spells you learn.

Nightraiderx
2013-07-01, 07:31 AM
In order to use the magical training you also need the feat arcane preparation I believe it's called so you can actually prepare wizard spells in your slots, otherwise I believe warmage's are spontaneous casters and just having a spellbook wouldn't be enough.

Valwyn
2013-07-01, 09:03 AM
Apprentice (Spellcaster) from DMG II should let you add a new level 1 spell to your list and swap one spell per caster level. Since you already know your full list, ask your DM if you can trade for Wiz/Sor spells (Advanced and Eclectic Learning sort of supports this idea). Intrestingly, Warmages get spells from the Druid list as well (Searing Light, Sunbeam, Fire Seeds), but that will probably get a flat "no".

Mother Cyst (Libris Mortis) also gives you 9 extra spells, one per level.

Sand Shaper (Sandstorm) could be a nice class to get, but it's hard to qualify for as a Warmage. It needs a Touchstone (City of the Dead) feat and 4 ranks in Nature and Survival (even if it is an arcane class :smallconfused:).

BWR
2013-07-01, 10:45 AM
Sudden Still Spell for when you get grappled.
Saved my life on several occasions.