PDA

View Full Version : Flintlocked

Trickquestion
2013-06-30, 07:35 PM
So, I'm in the early stages of drawing up a pirate themed adventure (still hammering out the story and the groups, haven't actually brought numbers into it yet) and I'd like to hear some opinions of Flintlock firearms, and any experience you may have had homebrewing anything similar. My rough idea is that having the gun grants you the Flintlock Shot power, which will reflect the limitations of that kind of firearm by being an Encounter power with some significant attack penalties. The upside will be heavy damage. The reasoning behind this plan is that I wanted to give the lowest, cannon fodder scum enemies a bit of threat. The higher level foes will stick with more reliable magic spells and enchanted weapons, and it will be the lowly, drunken powder monkeys carrying the pistols. But the edge is that one of those drunken powder monkeys could still seriously mess a PC up if they get lucky or the PC stops taking the fight seriously.

Rainbownaga
2013-06-30, 07:50 PM
What system is this? 4e?

In a sense pathfinder guns already do this, hence the high price. They are touch attacks with a high crit modifier, but slow to reload, weak at longer ranges, and you need to base your class around them to be effective at higher levels. Plus there is a chance they break or missfire.

Doorhandle
2013-06-30, 08:28 PM
Both of those seem about right. although be aware there could be more dangerous enemies who could use power like "A brace of pistols" and get a similar high-damage attack off every turn.

Psyborg
2013-07-04, 01:34 PM
So, I'm in the early stages of drawing up a pirate themed adventure (still hammering out the story and the groups, haven't actually brought numbers into it yet) and I'd like to hear some opinions of Flintlock firearms, and any experience you may have had homebrewing anything similar. My rough idea is that having the gun grants you the Flintlock Shot power, which will reflect the limitations of that kind of firearm by being an Encounter power with some significant attack penalties. The upside will be heavy damage. The reasoning behind this plan is that I wanted to give the lowest, cannon fodder scum enemies a bit of threat. The higher level foes will stick with more reliable magic spells and enchanted weapons, and it will be the lowly, drunken powder monkeys carrying the pistols. But the edge is that one of those drunken powder monkeys could still seriously mess a PC up if they get lucky or the PC stops taking the fight seriously.

EDIT: Just realized the reference to "Encounter Power" probably means you're using 4th Ed and the below is almost certainly inapplicable. Leaving it just in case it gives you some ideas.Flintlock Pistol
1d10 - [special]/x3 - Range Inc 15' - Max Range 5 Inc - Piercing
Special: Attacks within a flintlock pistol's first range increment are touch attacks. If such an attack would have hit even against the target's full Armor Class, the attack automatically threatens critical; the crit confirmation roll is against full Armor Class. Against targets beyond the first range increment, flintlock pistol attacks are against full Armor Class, and threaten critical only on a 20.
Special: Reloading a flintlock pistol is a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity and can be interrupted, like casting a spell as a full-round action.
Special: A flintlock pistol never provokes an attack of opportunity for making a ranged attack in melee.

Flintlock Musket
1d12 - [special]/x3 - Range Inc 40' - Max Range 10 Inc - Piercing
Special: Attacks within a flintlock musket's first range increment are touch attacks. If such an attack would have hit against the target's full Armor Class, the attack automatically threatens critical; the crit confirmation roll is against full Armor Class. Against targets beyond the first range increment, flintlock musket attacks are against full armor class, and threaten critical only on a 20.
Special: Reloading a flintlock musket takes 1 round, provokes attacks of opportunity, and can be interrupted, like casting a spell with a 1 round cast time.
Special: Flintlock muskets can have bayonets attached. Attaching or removing a bayonet is a move action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity (or a free action, if you have the Quick Draw feat or a similar ability). A flintlock musket with attached bayonet uses Shortspear statistics, but must be wielded in two hands.

Creatures without proficiency in flintlock weapons take no penalty to attack rolls, but the time required for them to reload the weapons is increased to 3 rounds (an interruption in one round of the process does not require the process to be completely restarted, but the reload is not complete until three uninterrupted rounds have been spent on it in total). Martial Lore or Profession(Soldier) checks may be substituted for Concentration checks to avoid being interrupted when taking damage while reloading a flintlock weapon.

Flintlock weapons misfire easily. A natural 1, 2, or 3 on an attack roll with a non-masterwork flintlock weapon is an automatic failure, though critical fumble rules (if in use) do not apply; the gun simply fails to fire. Masterwork flintlock weapons misfire on a natural 1 or 2.

Flintlock muskets provoke attacks of opportunity normally for making a ranged attack in melee. They are rarely masterwork weapons, being commonly produced for the rank and file of any organization lucky enough to afford them or have access to the technology. Such rank and file are often nonproficient in their use, drastically reducing their rate of fire from what is theoretically possible. Only the occasional unit of seasoned veterans will be truly proficient in the use of flintlock weapons.

Flintlock pistols are usually masterwork weapons, and often have an artistic value in engraved scrollwork, inlaid butts, etc., above and beyond their value as a weapon. They commonly come in pairs, and will usually only be wielded by officers or the very wealthy- people who would carry an ornate smallsword or light rapier in another culture or time.

Spiryt
2013-07-04, 01:49 PM
This automatic critical mechanics is really good, IMO.

Gives guns something potent, unique, and still makes armor count, even if it's reduced.