PDA

View Full Version : Homeward Bound: The Epic Journey - IC

Pages : [1] 2

Chuckles101
2013-06-30, 07:39 PM
Out of Character thread - Homeword Bound: The Epic Journey - OoC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270379)

Let us begin!
Tinker and Chance
Both of you wake up in a dimly lit room in two beds situated next to each other. Completely unsure of what's going on.... your last memory involved a giant flash of light when your arch enemy broke a staff. You see other bodies sleeping / unconscious around the room on rows of beds. A quick scan of your immediate surroundings (5 ft.) reveal your packs and equipment at the head of the bed. You think you see others waking up....

Thanatos
You wake up in a dimly lit room. Completely unsure of what's going on.... your last memory involved a giant flash of light when you broke a staff with your weapon... triggering a memory.. YOUR WEAPONS! WHERE ARE THEY! (they're right next to your headboard along with your other equipment) You're actually surprised (and saddened) that you're not dead, as you expected. You see other bodies sleeping / unconscious around the room on rows of beds. You think you see others waking up....

Hahn Sperren
You wake up in a dimly lit room. Completely unsure of what's going on.... your last memory involved a giant flash of light when King Fruward banished you with a broken staff. A quick scan of your immediate surroundings reveal that your equipment/packs are at the head of your bed. You see other bodies sleeping / unconscious around the room on rows of beds. You think you see others waking up....

Igi-Kur
You wake up in a dimly lit room. Completely unsure of what's going on.... your last memory involved a giant flash of light when your arch enemy broke a staff. A quick scan of your immediate surroundings reveal that your equipment/packs are at the head of your bed. You see other bodies sleeping / unconscious around the room on rows of beds. You think you see others waking up....

Actions? (You should take your actions one at a time here. But definitely allowed to respond to others actions too)

Zyzzyx
2013-07-07, 12:23 PM
Without stepping on the floor, I step into my soaring cathedra at the foot of the bed, take my pack and begin putting on all my equipment.

Chuckles101
2013-07-07, 01:34 PM
Igi-Kur does not see his cathedra at the foot of the bed...

Zyzzyx
2013-07-08, 08:46 PM
I look at the head of the bed for my soaring cathedra.

Chuckles101
2013-07-08, 09:06 PM
Not there either... In fact, it doesn't seem to be in your immediate surroundings. (It's a very dimly lit room)

Zyzzyx
2013-07-10, 02:10 PM
Cursing my luck, I look around to see what equipment IS nearby within reach of the bed.

Chuckles101
2013-07-10, 08:41 PM
Doing a quick search through your bag of holding, you see that most everything is there. A quick recollection of your memory reveals that the only thing that seems to be missing is your cathedra.

Zyzzyx
2013-07-18, 04:53 PM
I put on all my items and look around at the other people / beds.

Chuckles101
2013-07-18, 05:58 PM
Igi-Kur
Looking around in the dim light, you begin to look around. There are others beginning to stir on beds very similar to this one. The room is approximately 60ft. by 20ft. with beds lined in up in rows. Two beds face each other in each row, giving a quick count of 12 beds. On 4 of the other beds are figures beginning to stir in their sleep at the sound of you gathering and equipping your items. Behind you (and at the head of each of the beds) is a small cabinet. On the far end of the long room is a desk with some papers, vials, a mortar and pistle, and other miscellaneous items. On the close end of the room is a door (about 10 ft. away)

Phoenix211
2013-07-30, 08:01 PM
(Thanatos)

For a moment as I begin to awaken, I think I'm dead, and a euphoria starts to build -- but it quickly washes away as the emptiness in my soul and the weight of my body disprove it. A bed. I'm lying on a bed. Not in the outer planes, just in a bed. Damn. The last thing I remember....

But I never died. Somehow, improbably, I had survived that battle, and ended up back in civilization somewhere. Hadrian Keep? Possibly as far as Portmore? I don't know who could have dragged me out of that tomb and back to town, but someone must have. And if I'm alive, it means the lich must be dead. Whatever spell he cast...well, I guess it wasn't enough to save him from my terrible fury.

Slowly I open my eyes and look around, trying to place my surroundings. As I sit up in my bed, I realize I feel no pain. Hmm. Must have been some pretty potent healing magic, after the beating I remember taking in that battle. Am I going to have to pay for that?

Speaking of payment, I look around to see if I can spot my equipment anywhere. I breathe a sigh of relief to see my bags and weapons near my headboard. I instinctively check my shoe for diamonds before remembering that I left my last diamond with a cleric at Hadrian Keep, to raise me in case I died in the lich's tomb. Well, there's one diamond I'll never see again. A chill runs down my spine as I realize that, until I find (or can afford to buy) more diamonds, I can't risk dying again, or else I might stay dead....

I check my bags to make sure all of my stuff is here. Am I missing anything (particularly money)?

Chuckles101
2013-07-30, 08:17 PM
Thanatos

You go through your bag, realizing that nothing is missing, to your relief.

Looking around in the dim light, you begin to look around. Others are stirring, including one already awake and gearing The room is approximately 60ft. by 20ft. with beds lined in up in rows. Two beds face each other in each row, giving a quick count of 12 beds. On 4 of the other beds are figures beginning to stir in their sleep at the sound of you gathering and equipping your items. Behind you (and at the head of each of the beds) is a small cabinet. On the far end of the long room is a desk with some papers, vials, a mortar and pistle, and other miscellaneous items. On the close end of the room is a door (about 10 ft. away)

You notice another human putting on his gear as he looks around. This tattooed man begins to put on his robes.

Igi-Kur
This is you. Feel free for introductions in character.

Phoenix211
2013-07-30, 08:27 PM
Phew, looks like nothing got stolen while I was out. The place definitely looks like some kind of...apothecary, or house of healing? I don't recognize it, though -- it's not the temple at Hadrian where I left my last diamond, and it doesn't look like Portmore either. Maybe it's one of the smaller villages in the Highlands? Hmm, I'll ask this guy with the tattoos.

"Um, hello there! Excuse me! Can you tell me where I am? I must have been brought here unconscious."

Zyzzyx
2013-07-31, 05:58 PM
Stopping for a moment, I look quizzically at the strangely dressed man. Then I continue equipping my things.

What do you know about furniture?

Phoenix211
2013-08-05, 06:44 PM
"I...what? Furniture?"

(What does that even have to do with what I asked? What is this guy, some kind of carpenter?)

"Nothing, really. I'm an adventurer. I just woke up and was hoping you could tell me where we are."

amjj
2013-08-08, 05:52 PM
Tinker and Chance

Hey, are you-

Ok? Yeah. Are you?

I'm fine, a bit woozy.

Any idea where we are? The last thing I remember is a bright light...

Think we're dead?

I don't feel dead.

*smacks Chance* Did you feel that.

OW. Yes. :smallfurious:

Good, so you're not dead-

*smacks Tinker*

OW!

Neither are you. :smallamused:

Now that we've settled that...

Perception check to look around the room, both Tinker and Chance have low-light vision

Chuckles, I'm not sure if you want me to roll for both Tinker and Chance or one die for the both. I'll roll for both and if you only want one (succeed or fail together), take the first one.

1d20+26
1d20+26

amjj
2013-08-08, 05:54 PM
I think I need some help with die rolls...

amjj
2013-08-08, 05:58 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Chuckles101
2013-08-09, 07:24 PM
Tinker and Chance

You begin to look around the dimly lit room.The room is approximately 60ft by 20ft, with beds lined up in rows. Two beds face each other in each row giving you a quick count of 12 beds total. There are humanoid figures on 3 of the other beds. One, a tattooed man, is taking care not to step on the floor, cursing his luck and asking about furniture. The other, a brawny man, woke up in a flash and hurried to his pack, yet instantly relieved. They both seem to be puzzled about furniture and where they are. You see another still stirring in his sleep. Your preception check reveals that this one seems to be a dwarf, with the other two human.

Behind you, and at the head of each of the beds, is a small cabinet. On the far end of the long room is a desk with some papers, vials, a mortar and pistle, and other miscellaneous items. On the close end of the room is a door. (About 10-15 ft away)

GAME NOTE: Just go ahead and make one roll from now on. If there's something which relies on a bit of cooperation, I'll have you make two rolls, but for teh most part, you will count as one character.

Perception check PASSED Behind the desk with the papers, you see a certificate or plaque of some kind. It reveals an achievement in the areas of healing and/or charity with an official seal of some kind. Further inspection of the desk will reveal a number of herbs and other natural items used in the arts of healing, some of the things you'd find in an adventurer's medkit.

Feel free to introduce yourself to each other and such. I'm gone for a week.

Zyzzyx
2013-08-17, 11:49 AM
I continue equipping. I have no idea where we are. Who are you? My name is Igi-Kur, and I'm missing my favorite chair.

Phoenix211
2013-08-19, 04:11 PM
"My name's Thanatos. Thanatos Mors. And, uh...sorry about your chair."

So this guy doesn't know where this is either. Probably brought here same as me.

I look to the other side of me to see a couple of gnomes now awake and slapping each other. Maybe I'll have better luck with these two?

"Ho there, friends! Excuse me, could either of you tell me where we are, please?"

amjj
2013-09-20, 08:02 PM
Both Tinker and Chance stare at Thanatos for what seems like a month (give or take a day) before answering...

Friends? Are we-

Friends?

We are, but you...

Ah, yes, you are quite a stranger.

But we are quite in a strange land-

So to speak. So in that sense...

We're in the same boat, that is to say...

Lost.

We have no idea where we are.

I don't even know quite how we got here. We were fighting and then there was a flash of light.

Phoenix211
2013-09-23, 06:24 PM
I blink in surprise. Memories race through my mind. That couldn't just be a coincidence...could it?

"That's...that's exactly the same thing that happened to me. I was fighting a lich, and my final blow clove through his staff. There was a flash of light -- I think he cast some sort of spell, but...." I shake my head. "I don't know, that's the last thing I remember. Then I woke up here."

A suspicion begins to dawn on me, and I slowly turn back to Igi-Kur. "By the way, how did you end up here? It wouldn't happen to have anything to do with a sudden flash of light, would it?"

Zyzzyx
2013-09-27, 08:59 PM
Something like that.

I turn to the two gnomes.

How did you get here?

I look around to see if there are any exits from the room.

Chuckles101
2013-10-02, 07:28 PM
There is a door on the shorter side of the wall about 10-15 ft away.

Zyzzyx
2013-11-07, 06:51 PM
I finish equipping and walk to the door.

Chuckles101
2013-11-10, 07:07 PM
As Igi-Kur begins walking to the door, the door barges open with a loud crash. Two men dressed in white and maroon robes are carrying a stretcher holding a dwarf in glimmering full plate armor who seems to be unconscious. The two men seem to be muttering to themselves, completely ignoring the fact that there are others standing in this room.

"Bloody hell! Where did you say this guy was?"
"The guards found him in the alley, out cold. And with all these shinies on him! He must be wealthy."
"Pay attention to your vows, Yoseth."
"Yes, Father."
"Now, stabilize him, and we'll make sure he's all right."

The younger of the pair holds out his symbol and says a prayer. Quickly, the dwarf begins stirring. He seems to be having a nightmare of some sort...

The older of the pair suddenly looks up, completely surprised by those who have awaken. "I didn't expect any of you up this early. How do you feel?"

Seafalcon
You may enter the story by waking up at any time. Your nightmares that you are muttering right now are related to the visage of the wizard who killed your family. Remember, at this point you aren't even sure if he's alive or dead... you may never find out. All you remember is blacking out, and thinking that you may have lost against him.

Igi-Kur - Perception DC 15
The door is left wide open, allowing you to see a flash of color from the adjoining room. You instantly recognize it as your Cathedra, currently being used as a couch of sorts.

Zyzzyx
2013-11-10, 08:24 PM
I roll a 12.

I address the person who just spoke:

Oh I'm fine; but excuse me--could one of you please tell me where this is and why I was brought here? Oh--and where my couch is.

FrankieTheKneeM
2013-11-11, 12:31 AM
With a jolt and a shout, I sit up. Confused by my location and the many people around me, I grab the nearest of the robed men by the collar and pull him towards me. (Grapple Roll, if you need it. [roll0])

Where am I? Who are you, and what news of Wilros Gentleharp?

Chuckles101
2013-11-11, 06:06 PM
The older robed figure begins to speak.
"You are all here in the local healing house, isn't that obvious? You were all found either unconscious or nearly dead around the area. This dwarf was just found about an hour ago."

Yoseth - "Oh! That couch is nice, I was resting on it last ni-"

Seafalcon wakes up screaming and immediately grapples Yoseth, so masterfully that he spins him around, twisting his arm behind his back. Yoseth yells in pain.

Seafalcon - roll initiative

DM NOTES - ANY MAY READ
This is an opposed check vs the other robed figure. Initiative rolls from all may be needed, but not right now.
Older robed figure's initiative - [roll0]

FrankieTheKneeM
2013-11-11, 09:00 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

I spin the Human around to face me.

Answer me, damn you! I need to know if Wilros Gentleharp lives!

Chuckles101
2013-11-11, 09:22 PM
The older robed figure sees you manhandling the young priest. His eyes grow wide as he immediately throws his arms up

ANYONE - Spellcraft DC 17
Cleric 2nd lvl spell - Calm Emotions

Seafalcon - Will Save DC 16

DM NOTES - ANY MAY READ
Just so everyone knows, everyone is not well rested. No one has spells remaining (as no one has had time to study or pray for spells). ALSO, everyone does not have full hit points and is at LVL + CON SCORE hp.

2. Because we're in an epic campaign, I am using the add 20 / subtract 20 rule to skills, saves, attacks, and other appropriate rolls. If you roll a nat 1, it is a candidate for a fumble, but you roll another attack roll with a -20 modifier. Same with saves, etc. Basically, nothing auto fails / auto makes. It's nearly impossible to save against something that is DC 75, HOWEVER, you could roll two 20s in a row and have a chance.

Actions from others before Seafalcon gets a response?

FrankieTheKneeM
2013-11-11, 09:29 PM
Will Save: [roll0]

Spellcraft: [roll1] (-5 for distraction)

Phoenix211
2013-11-11, 10:24 PM
I am momentarily too stunned to act as the healers bring in another unconscious dwarf. More wounded, like me and the others?

I am abruptly shaken out of my daze when the dwarf suddenly wakes up violent, and attacks one of the healers. I rush over and attempt to restrain the shouting madman.

Grapple check, in case it's needed:
[roll0]

Chuckles101
2013-11-12, 07:58 AM
Thanatos runs over and grabs the wrists of Seafalcon, wrenching them free from Yoseth. Thanatos successfully restrains the angry dwarf, holding his arms against his body. Yoseth stands there grimacing in pain as his shoulder was nearly pulled out of socket.

Rules notes - any may read
Thanatos now controls the grapple.

Read up on Pathfinder Grappling Rules (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Grapple) for some quick help. Note the handy-dandy flowcharts.

Actions from Igi-Kur OR Tinker and Chance?

Zyzzyx
2013-11-12, 10:28 AM
Igi-Kur scoffs and rolls his eyes.

And I need to know where my couch is.

Phoenix211
2013-11-12, 07:10 PM
Still holding the dwarf fast, I try to talk him down.

"Hey, whoa, man! Relax! We're all friendly here, nobody wants to hurt you."

FrankieTheKneeM
2013-11-12, 09:18 PM
RELAX? You want me to relax? I had him - I... I was so close...

All at once, the wind goes out of Me.

He's won, hasn't he?

My eyes begin to well with tears and I slump down, openly weeping into my hands. It's never pretty, watching a grown man cry. Battle scars, full plate armor and a dwarven reflection don't help the matter.

Zyzzyx
2013-11-13, 10:28 AM
Spellcraft: [roll0]

I turn to the older robed figure.

Has this been happening often? People being found injured nearby, dwarves crying, and comfortable furniture going missing, I mean.

Chuckles101
2013-11-13, 06:32 PM
The older of the two stand there confused. "I thought I could stop the fighting, but I know I'm not powerful enough to reduce a dwarf to tears. My spell must have gone wrong." He then begins to pray some more, presenting his symbol once more.

ANY - Spellcraft DC 14
0 lvl spell Detect Magic

He falters back, nearly tripping over his feet in the process, falling onto the bed behind him. "DEAR LORD!" he screams out. "How powerful are you?!? We've had persons need healing, but none with items such as yours!"

FrankieTheKneeM
2013-11-13, 08:35 PM

This outburst actually makes me chuckle through my tears.

Oh, calm down. I suppose I've been around the block a few times, yes. But that'll happen when you spend 25 years chasing the same man. And there was nothing wrong with your "Calm Emotions" spell - I suppose you can tell now you just didn't have a chance.

I try to pull my hands to my eyes.

I think you can let go of me, now - I've got my wits about me. But you man-handled me pretty good. I take it you've done that before?

Phoenix211
2013-11-13, 10:39 PM
I smile wryly and release his arms.

"Yeah, you could say I've been around the block a few times as well. I've been in more than my fair share of fights. Hell, I've probably died more times over the past few years than--"

I trail off as I notice my hands involuntarily shaking. I swallow, and flex them a few times to shake it off. Thinking about dying is probably not a good idea right now. This withdrawl is only going to get worse.

"Anyway, my name's Thanatos Mors. I was brought in unconscious by these healers as well." I hesitate, then on a hunch, I add, "The last thing I remember, I sundered a lich's staff, and he cast some kind of spell with a bright flash of light. Then I woke up here. You wouldn't happen to have seen the same thing, would you?"

As an aside, I turn to the elder healer and say "By the way, for your own sake, you might not want to look to hard at my pack either. One of my swords is an ancient Nordican hero's blade, and the other one literally used to be owned by a goddess. They're both enchanted with fairly potent magic."

Zyzzyx
2013-11-14, 01:32 PM

Turning to the older man, smiling smugly:

How fortunate for you then, that we've come. Now could you be so kind as to tell me: (temper flaring) WHERE IS MY COUCH??!

Intimidate: [roll1]

Chuckles101
2013-11-14, 03:14 PM
Yoseth turns to face Igi-Kur, gently tapping his shoulder as to turn his attention away from the older gentleman.
He stammers as he speaks. "Umm.... th-there's a couch we j-just found th-this morning. It's out here." He points outside the room past the doorway. Looking out into the outer room, you can easily see your coveted piece of furniture.

5th lvl cleric has a DC of 19 for intimidate purposes, but -5 for fear of very powerful items and artifacts

"Your furniture is outside. We are but simple healers." Directing his attention to Thanatos now, "Nordican? I've never heard of that place..." He trails off as his eyes grow wider and wider.

"Wait... died more times than you can remember? What do you mean by this?"

Zyzzyx
2013-11-14, 07:19 PM
Igi-Kur goes immediately to the couch, sits himself on it and commands it to levitate and move back into the room where everyone else is.

Phoenix211
2013-11-15, 07:22 PM
I laugh good-naturedly, then trail off awkwardly as I realize the man wasn't joking. "You know...in combat. Believe me, the Ressurrections cost me a fortune in diamonds." I cough uncomfortably as he keeps staring at me.

"Anyway, the blade's from Nordica, the northern continent. Manheim, in particular." I give him a puzzled frown. "Where did you say we are, again? This is still Ossia, isn't it?"

FrankieTheKneeM
2013-11-16, 02:17 AM
I'm...

Thinking better of being too honest with strangers, I stutter for a moment.

I'm Kubric. And I've never heard of Ossia, so I somehow doubt we're there. Is it some system of Islands in the north?

I look around for a window, balcony, or other way to view the outside.

You said you sundered a Lich's staff? I had a staff broken in my face... I had the flash of light same as you, then pain. I was sure I was dying. But then I woke up here too. Think there's something to that? Did all my things come with me?

I break off my search for the outdoors and look around for my pack.

Wherever we are, can you get a message back to Teseras? I need to let my valet know I'll be back for him and send him some wages.

Chuckles101
2013-11-17, 03:04 PM
The old man fixates on Thanatos as he talks about his past resurrections. He stares at you up and down, his jaw dropped. He has a pained expression on his face filled with fear and confusion. "This.... is.... impossible. How could you have come back to life?" He ignores other questions relating to where you are, in fact waving his hand at those questions. Shushing others until he gets a response from Thanatos. He grabs your shoulders and looks you straight in the eye. "Tell me how this is possible!"

"Father! You have got to see this couch! Look at.... it.... What? What's wrong, Father?" Yoseth walks in from the other room and goes over to the older priest, needing to comfort him. "What happened? Are you ok?" Yoseth looks very worried.
Thanatos
The old man is waiting for a response

Phoenix211
2013-11-17, 05:15 PM
"Hey, whoa, I was never really very good at my clerical studies. I fell asleep in class a lot. I don't know how it works...you just take a diamond, chant some prayers over it or whatever."

I give the man an exasperated look. "I mean, come on, I saw you waving your hands around and muttering some kind of spell just a minute ago. You are a cleric, right? Maybe it's a little beyond your power to cast, but you have to have heard of the Resurrection spell."

I shrug, and spread my hands. "Maybe it might seem weird, the number of times I've died and been raised, but if the magic exists for the right price.... I happened to come into a lot of money while adventuring, so I could afford to pay for as many castings as I needed."

Zyzzyx
2013-11-18, 07:56 AM
To the older man:

Why the sudden urgency? Do you need someone resurrected or something?

Knowledge: religion [roll0] Can Igi-Kur tell anything from the surroundings, the priests' attire or anything else visible about what kind of priests these are and what religion they follow?

Chuckles101
2013-11-18, 04:59 PM
Igi-Kur

From going outside to your couch, you remember some things about what you've seen. You remember seeing something similar to the imagery apparent in the main room outside. You saw a man, clothed only in rags being held against his will against some type of post. You've seen similar imagery in monotheistic religions in your study of ancient history. What you also recognize is the presence of copies of a single book everywhere. It is called "Holy Bible".

The older man recoils in fear and wonder at Thanatos's statement. "You speak of resurrections as they are a regular occurrence, and from battle? If you have been resurrected so many times, then..." He starts to think about the wars that you have participated in if you have died so many times. "And then, you just pay money to get resurrected? There was a dark time in our past with indulgences," his voice becoming more stern now, "but we are far beyond that now. Our church is not proud of those moments." You can sense him beginning to grow angry, when he suddenly is shocked by something. He continues, staring at Thanatos's feet, his eyes nearly glazing over as his face suddenly shows no emotion, whatsoever.

"Who is able to make war with him? And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty-two months. And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and those who dwell in heaven. And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them; and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations." Yoseth's face goes completely white at the sound of these words.

ANY - Knowledge (religion) DC 15
You recognize these as words from some type of holy scripture.

If you beat DC 25
These words are similar to other religions' descriptions of the end of days, or apocalypse. It speaks of a great evil with great power who attacks the faithful and calls on those to follow that evil, a false prophet.

If you beat DC 50
The older man's speech comes nearly directly from the King James' bible, Revelations 13: 4-7

"Yoseth! Get the scroll of sending immediately!" The pair attempt to rush past you and out of the room.

Actions?

Zyzzyx
2013-11-18, 05:50 PM
Knowledge - Religion: [roll0]

Zyzzyx
2013-11-18, 06:01 PM
Wait! I know Holy Bible! I've read it before! We repent! We're not idiots--we're not here to attack the faithful or to spread a false gospel! We're as confused about how we got here as you are!

Knowledge: arcana [roll0] What does a "scroll of sending" do and how does it work?

FrankieTheKneeM
2013-11-18, 07:44 PM
Knowledge - Religion: [roll0]

Phoenix211
2013-11-18, 07:46 PM
Knowledge: Religion [roll0]

Nope, doesn't ring a bell. My religious knowledge extends about as far as Apollo and no further...and it doesn't even really extend that far into Apollo either.

I just give the pair of clerics a completely dumbfounded look, but I don't try to stop them.

Chuckles101
2013-11-18, 08:19 PM
Igi-Kur
It's a scroll of the spell sending
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/sending

Chuckles101
2013-11-19, 09:02 AM
The pair bolt out the door, running further into the chapel.

Scenery notes
The room you are standing in has four walls of stone, with a wooden door at the one side (where the two priests just ran through). You all recognize the architecture as standard for the medieval period. (Normal fantasy realm architecture). Looking through the open doorway you see a small ante-room with other doors. It looks like there was some arranged furniture there, but there is an emptiness where a couch or other piece of furniture should be. The room is draped with cloths of maroon.

If you go further into the room (please say so in your post if doing so)

You notice that the ceiling is relatively tall, about 30 ft. or so. This ante room (square 30ft by 30ft) has the door on the east leading to the beds you were just at. There is a large double-door on the south side, as well as a large double-door on the north side left half-open. Above the north door there is a wooden carved statue of a man in rags being held against his will against a wooden post of some sort. Located on small desks in the room are books.

Perception DC 10
The book is relatively thick, with a maroon cover. The book is titled "Holy Bible".
Perception DC 15
On one desk near the south door, there is a stylized open book with a pen neatly in its holder. You surmise that it may be a guestbook to sign in.

Igi-Kur
I should mention. I said earlier that you saw the imagery of a man being held against his will on a post. This statue is what you saw. Not an actual person being held.

Zyzzyx
2013-11-19, 11:24 AM
Perception: [roll0]

Ordering the couch to follow the two clerics further into the chapel, Igi-Kur retrieves a bar of soap from his bag of holding.

How far ahead are the two priests? And what is the floor made out of?

Phoenix211
2013-11-19, 07:47 PM
I shrug at Kubric and the gnomes. "Seriously, what is the deal with those guys? What a bunch of weirdos."

In any case, I gather up all of my stuff, strap on my armor and weapons, and follow Igi-Kur out into the antechamber. I stop cold in shock when I see the statue above the door. I've never seen religious iconography of a ragged man tied to a post before. Do these clerics worship some kind of freaky torture god?!

A chilling realization runs through me. I had thought it was weird that I had somehow been brought back down from the mountains to civilization after my disastrous battle in the lich's tomb, but maybe...maybe I had never left the mountains at all? Maybe my body was recovered and nursed back to health by crazy cultists right there in the Ossian Highlands? Worshipers of some lesser god, with ties to the blood cult of Afflux? Or worse...to the Cult of the Crimson Eye itself....

A low growl escapes involuntarily from my throat, and I carefully unsheathe my swords. I've got a bad feeling about this....

(Perception check: [roll0])

What appears to be their holy book gives me no clues as to the name of their god from its perfectly generic title. Figures. I step lightly over to it and flip through a couple of pages to see if I can glean anything, then I examine the guest book as well. Any clues as to the identity of this mystery religion?

FrankieTheKneeM
2013-11-20, 12:15 AM
Yeah, that's generally my cue to gather my things and get out.

Satisfied that even if anything is missing, I'll never figure it out, I strap one my backpack and head out into the ante chamber, looking intently for an exit.

Boccob's balls, I don't even know what floor we're on. But I'm guessing not toward the Iconography.

[roll0] (+10 v Traps, but I don't think that applies here).

Perfect, a guestbook. That'll be the way out then.

If there are several of these "Holy Bibles", they won't miss one. I grab a spare and toss it into my backpack, then make for the door.

Chuckles101
2013-11-20, 08:44 PM
Igi-Kur
Given that your cathedra moves at only 10 ft, you are a bit behind. Your movement for the round takes you just inside the room I've described. You can see the pair of priests running down an aisle through the open double doors. They are flanked on both sides by many benches laid in rows.

The floor seems to be hardwood, but fairly dusty. There is an ornate maroon carpet with gold trim leading from the south door to the north door.

Thanatos
Inside the book, you find a table of contents. Interestingly, the book is split into two parts. "Old" and "New". Each section has multiple 'books' which themseleves have multiple chapters. It seems very odd, as it seems to be a collection of short stories. The first is named "Genesis", followed by several others. The first books that appear that they could be names are Levitucs (the third book) follwed by Joshua (6) followed by several others. Ruth, 2 books of Samuel, Esther, Isiah.... Several other names in the "Old" section.

The "New" Section starts off with four names. Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and many many others afterwards. There is mention of Corinthians, and Thessalonians, giving rise to the possibility that these are a group of people under a nationality. (If you would like a full list, you may take further study of the book (go to wikipedia for a listing of books))

Going over to the guestbook, you see several names signed into the list. Amazingly, it's in a very common language.
David Aaron
Ruth Bergson
Joseph Roth
Peter Krieg
Matthew Finkel
... the list goes on if you decide to flip backwards a few pages.

You decide to flip over the guestbook to look at the cover. It appears to be inscribed in gold lettering: Cathedral of St. Paul

Kubric
You decide to take one of the books from a small stack next to the northern set of doors.
[rollv]1d20+4[\rollv]
You head for the southern set of doors near the guestbook that Thanatos is looking over.

Chuckles101
2013-11-20, 08:46 PM
Botched roll from earlier:
[roll0]

Phoenix211
2013-11-20, 10:22 PM
The holy book is unfamiliar, and I see no obvious references to the name of their god. Names of peoples like Corinthians or Thessalonians give me pause, however, since I've never heard of those places before.

The guest book is full of extremely bizarre names like "David" and "Peter" and "Joseph" (instead of normal-sounding names like "Thanatos" or "Igi-Kur"), and come to think of it, the holy book had had some of those too -- "John" and "Mark" and such. The creeping uncomfortable suspicion grows as I close the guest book to look at it's cover. "Cathedral of St. Paul" it says. Never heard of it, but it does imply two things.

First, evil blood cultists rarely have cathedrals. Second, evil blood cultists never have saints. I resheathe my swords. Sure, these guys worship a torture god and seemed to freak out at me when I mentioned Resurrection, so I remain ready to Quick Draw my swords just in case -- but maybe there's a chance to get out of this situation without bloodshed after all.

Zyzzyx
2013-11-22, 12:55 AM
Igi-Kur looks at the benches. Does he notice anything unusual about them?

Calling out to the priests: Wait! At least tell me about your faith! What do you believe?

Chuckles101
2013-11-22, 08:54 AM
The benches have backs to them, and at the back of each bench is a small shelf meant for holding books. You imagine that people would sit on the benches, grab the books for use, and then replace them.

The priests continue running on down the middle aisle between the benches. At the front of the very large room (at least 100ft. long), they break off to the right, and you can no longer see them from your angle.

Zyzzyx
2013-11-22, 12:17 PM
Reluctantly, Igi-Kur gets off his couch and runs after them, bringing his bag of holding with him.

Chuckles101
2013-11-26, 09:58 AM
Igi-Kur heroically launches off of his lazy couch and chases after the two priests. It seems that they have gone through a door at the end of the chapel on the right side.

Zyzzyx
2013-11-27, 11:59 PM
Igi-Kur follows them to the door and attempts to open it.

Seriously! I'm interested!

Chuckles101
2013-11-29, 09:42 PM
DM NOTES - Don't read
The two clerics have locked themselves in the room. The younger has taken an immovable rod and pushed it in place to block the door closed as a deadbolt. The elder takes a scroll of Sending, and uses it with the following message. "Antichrist has come. Alert all deacons and King Logan. Group of five with powerful artifacts. Talked about their own multiple resurrections. Please advise possible actions."

Igi-Kur
The door is locked, and possibly barred shut. You hear some muttering in the room. If you put your ear to it, you think you can hear the elder saying something....
Perception DC 6

...deacons and King Logan. Group of five with powerful artifacts. Talked about their own multiple resurrections. Please advise possible actions.

Zyzzyx
2013-11-29, 10:26 PM

Zyzzyx
2013-11-29, 10:35 PM
Igi-Kur goes ahead and figures he'll just slip out before he overstays his welcome.

While turning around and bolting back to his couch, he wonders...does he have any idea who "King Logan" is?

Chuckles101
2013-12-03, 09:56 PM
You've never heard of this "King Logan". In fact, Logan seems a very strange name to you.

FrankieTheKneeM
2013-12-04, 12:18 AM
As I head out the door, I clap Thanatos on the back.

Don't puzzle over it too hard, my new musclebound acquaintance. They're clearly kind, but terrified. If there's anything I've learned from years in the priesthood, it's that once someone's decided that the scripture is in play, there's hardly a hope of changing their mind. And if they're scared of you? They're a step away from starting a fight.

I push the door open and step through.

Zyzzyx
2013-12-04, 04:12 PM
Once Igi-Kur reaches his couch, he commands it to carry him back out of the chapel and out of the building via the nearest exit.

Phoenix211
2013-12-04, 06:12 PM
"You're telling me," I grumble in response to Kubric, thinking about my own father. "I grew up in a church. Never really took to it. That's probably why I left to join the army in the first place." I pause, and give him a sidelong look. "No offense."

I follow him out the door.

Chuckles101
2013-12-04, 08:42 PM
Above the doors are a beautiful stained glass window. The beautiful visage of a woman in clothes holding a small child shines into the room, alerting you to avert your eyes to the bright sun as you open the door.

You open the door to reveal a beautiful sunlit outdoor street. Stone-carved stairs lead down to a walkway flanked on both sides by a crisp green lawn of grass. A three-foot tall gated fence with small stone pillars surrounds the lawn, and by extension, the church.

Looking at the many buildings on this street, you find yourself in a standard medieval setting. There are several houses, huts, and other assorted buildings. Everything you would find in a fairly large city back at home. You surmise by the height of the sun, that it is sometime in the mid-afternoon.

There are [roll0] common-folk wandering the streets (that you notice). One of them sees you open the doors and stares at your clothes and objects. Her eyes widen in awe; she recognizes those with power. Her basket of cloths and linens falls to the ground as she stares you up and down. She bows her head in reverence, seeing wha must be a holy man exit the cathedral of St. Paul. More begin to notice, especially as Igi-Kur exits the church on his floating couch.

You also notice [roll1] men in full plate armor on the street. They each hold a shield and polearm, and wear a sword at their waist. As two of them cross paths, they talk to each other for a bit. They haven't noticed you yet.

Zyzzyx
2013-12-05, 11:54 AM
Igi-Kur scans the streets. Is there anything that resembles a decent inn nearby?

Chuckles101
2013-12-05, 05:41 PM
A couple buildings down on the left, you see a wooden sign hanging by chains from a post. "Olden Barrel Taproom and inn"

The woman who had bowed her head looks up in shock at you lounging in your floating sofa.

Phoenix211
2013-12-05, 07:05 PM
I cough uncomfortably when I see the woman drop her belongings and bow. It's not exactly the first time people have been startled by my appearance, not after everything I've been through, but even so this is a bit overboard. I try not to make eye contact and look around my surroundings instead. It's nowhere I recognize, but one thing's for sure -- this is definitely not the Highlands of Ossia.

It begins to dawn on me that the flash of light I saw when the lich's staff broke must have been a teleportation spell. Judging from how weird everyone is around here, and how my companions spoke of places I had never seen (and seemed not to recognize the places I had), the spell must have teleported me a great distance.

I shake my head and then look at each of my companions. "Well, it was good to meet you guys, but I think it's about time for me to head home. Good luck with that Windrose guy or whatever," I add to the dwarf.

Stepping off the walkway and out of the way, I pull a small shard of blue crystal about four inches long out of my pocket. I close my eyes and begin concentrating on it.

The item is a Praat Shard to Hadrian Keep. Praat Shards, unlike Word of Recall, take one full minute (10 rounds) to activate.

Zyzzyx
2013-12-05, 10:41 PM
Smiling, Igi-Kur looks at the woman.

My good woman, could you help me? I'm looking for a quiet place to rest for an hour or two. Could you tell me what town this is and where I could find a good inn? Is the Olden Barrel over there a decent place?

Chuckles101
2013-12-07, 12:55 PM
The woman is in shock to be talking to someone of your supposed stature. She immediately bows down. "My lord, I'm sure that someone of your place would not venture into a place such as that."

Meanwhile, the two guards have stopped talking. One guard notices Igi-Kur floating on the couch. He notes this to the other guard, who notices Thanatos take something out of his pocket and beginning to concentrate on a mysterious crystal. He immediately pulls a whistle out of his pocket, gives a sharp blow.

"HALT! Stop concentrating immediately!" The two run over to the both of you. The one in front of Igi-Kur motions for the woman to leave. In unison. "Registration please!"

Thanatos
You've been concentrating for 2 rounds, plus, the one round for the guards to come over to you. The guard is attempting to get you to stop concentrating.
Assuming you open your eyes...
He seems to be threatening you, and is being very forceful with his polearm.

Zyzzyx
2013-12-07, 05:07 PM
Igi-Kur turns to the guards:

I'm sorry...I'm not sure what kind of registration you mean, but it's just that I don't think I have any. My name is Enki; I arrived in the healing center over there this morning, but I'll be happy to accompany you anywhere you need me to go and answer your questions. To tell you the truth, I'm a little confused and out of it at the moment. In fact, I'm not even sure what city this is.

He then gestures toward the person with the crystal.

The gentleman here has had a similar experience to mine, I suspect. I doubt if he knows where we are, either. If you don't mind, why don't I come along with you to your station? I could use a rest to be honest; I'm a bit dizzy.

Phoenix211
2013-12-08, 11:03 AM
My eyes pop open. I give the guard a "what-the-hell" look when I see him waggling his polearm at me. "Excuse me? What registration? I'm not interested in causing any trouble, I'm just trying to teleport home. Just give me a minute and I'll be out of your way."

I look the man over head to toe and back again. My mouth tightens a bit. "Now why don't you put that thing away before someone gets hurt."

I close my eyes again and resume concentrating.

Since talking is a free action and I didn't take any other actions, can I just pick up the duration where I left off, or do I have to start over again?

Chuckles101
2013-12-08, 06:39 PM
Thanatos
You may resume from where you left off. However... you probably won't get that chance, given what's happening next...

Both guards look at the two of you in shock, and then at each other. In unison, they both tap a button on their hip armor, which then glows. Also in unison, "Unit 3145 (3146) requesting backup on a Code 32-1."

To Igi-Kur, the guard (3145) says in a peaceful, yet worrisome voice, "Sir, please step off of the couch and put your hands on your head."

To Thanatos, the guard (3146) says in an extremely forceful voice, "Sir, place your hands on your head NOW!!" He sidesteps to be approximately 7 feet from you, holding his polearm right at your hands.

DM NOTES - don't look
Guards teleport / arrive in [roll0] rounds

Zyzzyx
2013-12-08, 07:06 PM
Igi-Kur steps off the couch and does as the guard says.

Certainly. But may I ask...this couch is a family heirloom. Will it be kept safe?

To Thanatos:

Come on sir; let's do as he says. I'm certainly not looking for trouble, and I suspect you aren't either, are you?

Igi-Kur turns toward the guard again.

Might I ask your name, sir?

Phoenix211
2013-12-10, 10:17 AM
I roll my eyes and glance at Igi-Kur. "No, I don't want any trouble at all, but this blowhard sure seems to want a lot of it." I jerk my thumb in the direction of the aggressive guard to make my point.

I turn back to the guard, sigh heavily, and break my concentration, letting my hand holding the Shard drop to my side. "Okay, look, mister. I'm not from around here, so I can appreciate that you don't understand who you're dealing with. I don't know where I am, and I don't know you, and we seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot here. But I do not take kindly to being threatened, do you hear me? So I'm going to ask you one more time, nicely, to put your weapon down so we can have a rational conversation about this." A low growl begins rising in my throat. "Before I really get angry."

Chuckles101
2013-12-10, 04:47 PM
Igi-Kur
The guard facing Igi-Kur begins to come around to your back side, grabbing one of your arms, he starts to place your hands in handcuffs. "Enki, if that is your real name, you are under arrest, you have...."

Thanatos
He actually don't get to finish his statement. As you finish making your snide comment to Igi-Kur, you jerk your thumb towards the agitated guard.

This sets off his readied action (triggered by your 'sudden movement')

He attempts to disarm you of your shard.
[roll0] against your current CMD of 49 (flat-footed)
Edit: He fails to disarm you of the shard. In fact, because he fails by 10, you swat his polearm away. It lands in the square at the guard's feet.

One guard is currently behind Igi-Kur. About 10 feet away (north), there stands Thanatos and another guard, 10 ft. apart (east/west).

Roll initiative for actions. Feel free to do whatever in the order set forth.
Guards initiative: [roll1]

Zyzzyx
2013-12-10, 07:35 PM

Edit: Igi-Kur waits to see what happens for now.

Phoenix211
2013-12-10, 08:08 PM

Whenever my turn comes, I take a 5-foot step towards the guard and grab the polearm from the ground.

This normally provokes an attack of opportunity, but if he's unarmed he doesn't threaten and can't take it.

"Thank you very much," I say pointedly. "Now that we're being civil with each other, what seems to be the problem here? What is this all about? I'm not hurting anyone, I'm just trying to teleport home. Like I said, I'll be out of your way in just a minute. Is that alright with you? Can we keep being civil here for just sixty more seconds?" I don't resume concentrating yet; I want to make sure he's not going to keep harassing me first. I stare at him with one eyebrow raised.

37/226 HP
31 AC
56 CMD
Not currently raging.
Holding (not wielding) a polearm in one hand and a Praat Shard in the other.

Chuckles101
2013-12-10, 08:35 PM
Guards action:
The one guard continues to handcuff Igi-Kur, whose hands are now bound behind his back. He says, "Go sit on the bench over there, NOW" He points to a bench approximately 15 feet away. He then re-wields his polearm, but still out of reach of Thanatos.

The other guard, noticing how ineffectual his assault was, is panicking. Tapping the same button, "Unit 3146, WHERE IS MY BACKUP!!!" Holding both of his hands out, trying to calm you down, but doing a bad job of it, (He's freaking out) "Ok, ok, ok, ok. Put. The ranseur. Down. Put. It. Down. Now."

Igi-Kur's action?

Zyzzyx
2013-12-10, 09:03 PM
Igi-Kur squats down, retrieves his bag of holding with both hands, and steps instantly 15 feet to the bench.

Using his jaunt boots, he provokes no attacks of opportunity by doing this.

FrankieTheKneeM
2013-12-10, 09:15 PM
Oh, good Gods - this is going to be a blood bath.

I step toward Thanatos.

Think about what you're doing. If you start a fight here, you're sure to win, and then we'll never find out where we are. Please give the man his weapon back. It's not as if he could hurt you with it anyway.

Turning toward the Guard, I turn on the charm as well as I can...

Please - we've only just awoken, and we're only interested in going home. We're strangers in your land, and if you'll just explain to us what law we've broken, I'm sure we'll be glad to desist. I give you my word, as a Holy Man, we mean you no harm.

FrankieTheKneeM
2013-12-10, 09:28 PM
Diplomacy: [roll0]

Phoenix211
2013-12-10, 09:46 PM
I plant the butt of the ranseur into the ground and lean on it. "I already tried telling him that," I mutter, only a little bit petulantly. "The man's gibbering like an idiot, he's not listening to a word I said. I'll give him his weapon back if he promises he's not going to do anything stupid with it."

"And besides," I say more directly to Kubric, "I don't particularly care where we are, I just want to leave. I don't need him to explain anything to me, I just need him to leave me alone for sixty. Freaking. Seconds." But I put the Shard away into my pocket and take no other action, watching the guard to see how he reacts to the dwarf's intervention.

Chuckles101
2013-12-11, 08:56 AM
DC = 15+lvl+wis+ modifiers
DC = 15 +5+0+5 (relationship) +0 (risk/reward) +10 (rushed) = 35 Just Made

The guard, now without a polearm, draws his sword and steps back 5 ft., puzzled by Thanatos's nonchalant nature, how he's just standing, nonthreatening.

"I am attempting to place you under arrest for use of a magic item without proper registration or license, and now theft."

Several popping sounds come from all around you. From out of nowhere 2d8+2 guards appear. Surrounding you on nearly all sides, approximately 15 feet away. They all draw their weapons. Their weapons are mixed. Swords, ranseurs, and bows. One of them shouts out. "Situation, sir?"

The one in front of Thanatos yells, "Code 0-2!" And then speaks to you. "You have heard the charges. Do you yield?"

Igi-Kur is next

Kubrik (I'm resetting you to here, since that's where you entered)
Thanatos
Guards
Igi-Kur

Chuckles101
2013-12-11, 08:58 AM
Botched roll:
There are [roll0] Guards

Zyzzyx
2013-12-11, 12:14 PM
From the bench, Igi-Kur looks quickly to see how far he is from the nearest guard and whether there are any nearby exits, open doorways, or alleys with no guards between them and him.

Also, what kind of magic does it look like they are using on their armor?

Spellcraft: [roll1]

Chuckles101
2013-12-11, 05:58 PM
Igi-Kur
There is an alley south, leading away from the ruckus near the church. You are unlikely to be noticed, as the guards are completely focused on Thanatos and Kubrik.

The spell comes from a magic item located on their hip, that is attached to their armor. You can sense the schools of Evocation, as well as Divination. You are unable to tell anything else without the use of a Detect Magic spell.

Zyzzyx
2013-12-11, 06:09 PM
Holding his bag behind his back, Igi-Kur vanishes from the bench and appears 5 feet into the alley, moving quietly away from the fray while keeping his eyes on it.

Stealth: [roll0]

What if anything is in the alley, and does it lead anywhere?

Zyzzyx
2013-12-11, 06:56 PM
Using his arachnid goggles, Igi-Kur can see in all directions simultaneously without turning his head and cannot be flanked.

Chuckles101
2013-12-11, 07:09 PM
Igi-Kur
The alley leads down quite a few feet into the next street. You see doors on either side of the alley, 10 ft. down, presumably leading into the buildings on either side. There is a dumpster 15 ft down the alley on the right hand side. 40 ft. down, you see an opening leading into the next street. You also think you see more doors much further down the alley.

DM ROLLS
[roll0]

It appears that no one has seen you as you move down the alleyway.

Chuckles101
2013-12-11, 07:21 PM
UPDATE

{table] |A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|K|M|N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z
1|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
2|||||||||||||||||||||||
3|||||||||||K||||||||||||
4|||||||||||||||G||G||||||
5||||||||||||||||||G|||||
6|||||||||G1||T||||||||G||||
7|||||||||||||||||G||||||
8|||||||b|||G2||G|||G||||||||
9|-|-|-|-|I|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
10|||||||||||||||||||||||
11|||||||||||||||||||||||

[/table]

Kubrik has moved out a little closer to talk down the guard. Igi-Kur has started to hide down the alley.

K - Kubrik
I - Igi-Kur
T - Thanatos
G1 - The guard who lost his spear
G2 - The guard who arrested Igi-Kur
G - The 7 guards who just popped in
b - the bench that Igi-Kur was on
The dashes are the edges of the buildings.

Kubrik is up

FrankieTheKneeM
2013-12-13, 12:38 AM

I address the guard who spoke to us.

Try and see it from his point of view, sir - He's only just woken up, in a strange city. Everyone around him is worshiping a god he doesn't recognize, and he's very far from home. He just wants to go home. When he tries to use his crystal, all of a sudden a man in armor sticks a Ranseur in his face, and begins shouting at him about arrest. He reacted out of exhaustion and frustration. I'm not saying what he did was right, but surely you can understand why he did it. I promise, if you just let us go rest in that inn over there, he'll not use any magic Items in city limits. If there's some authority with which we need to register these things, please give us that information and we'll do so first thing tomorrow. We're strangers in a strange land - no harm has come to anyone here, what do you say you chalk this up to a teaching moment. He'll return your Ranseur, and we won't cause any more trouble.

Diplomacy: [roll1]

Over my shoulder, to Thanatos:

Will you please, please put the polearm down?

Assuming my Perception check is high enough to detect Igi-Kur, I gesture in the direction he ran -

I don't mean to alarm anyone, but you may want to keep an eye on the robed man who just bolted.

Chuckles101
2013-12-13, 11:57 AM
15+lvl+wis+relationship+risk+hasty
15+5+0+5+7+10 = 42 (fail)

The guard thinks over Kubrik's deal, and suggests an alternative.
"No harm has come to anyone here? You must be joking! This miscreant is disturbing the peace, and has assaulted a member of the king's guard. And you just want us to let him go? We are arresting him. It's his choice on how nice we are when we do it. Here's what we will do. If he slowly takes off his weapons, and that crystal, whatever it does, we might be willing to forego the charges if you register them today, not tomorrow. And we'll drop the theft charge in lieu of community service."

He then hears Kubrik's next words and looks over his shoulder.

"Dammit, Rob! How'd he get out of your sight! Go grab him"

The guards have noticed where Igi-Kur has slithered off to.

Thanatos' action

Zyzzyx
2013-12-13, 12:59 PM
Igi-Kur calls out to the guards.

If it's safe now and things are under control, I'll gladly come back and wait on the bench, and I'll certainly register my items today and perform whatever community service you need. But I don't want to risk being injured if there's going to be violence here. I've seen what happens to bystanders in situations like this! Also...not to be impolite, but I need to relieve myself. Are there ordinances about where I can use a lavatory, or can I just stand by that dumpster over there? If somebody needs to watch me, that's fine.

Chuckles101
2013-12-13, 08:09 PM
Rob shouts, "Get back over here! You can relieve yourself later. Now come back before I arrest you with escaping custody."

Zyzzyx
2013-12-13, 08:52 PM
OK Rob, I will do as you ask...but if everybody could PLEASE just CALM...DOWN so that nobody winds up getting hurt here, I'd really appreciate it.

Chuckles101
2013-12-14, 06:31 AM
Rob breathes a sigh of relief, and turns his attention to Thanatos. He wonders if he will accept the senior officer's offer of disarming himself and following the officers to the station.

Thanatos's action

Phoenix211
2013-12-14, 12:16 PM
I roll my eyes. "Disturbing the peace? Excuse me? I was standing still with my eyes closed. What peace could I possibly have been disturbing? As for assault, I think you have it backwards. You're the one who assaulted me. I only disarmed you to prevent bloodshed. I have harmed no one, I have threatened no one -- but you're the one who has eight of your buddies all pointing weapons at me. So who do you think is the threatening one here? And for crying out loud, I'm not going to steal your stupid polearm." I gently toss the ranseur, sideways and nonthreateningly, onto the ground in the square between me and the senior guard.

"If you have some sort of law requiring a magic item license in this town, why didn't you just say that in the first place instead of shoving a weapon in my face? The priests who brought me here didn't mention any such law. And anyway, I literally just woke up like twenty minutes ago; I haven't had time to go get my items registered or whatever even if I did know about it."

I reach into my pocket and pull the Shard out, holding it up for everyone to see. "Look, I just want to use this Praat Shard to teleport home. I don't need a license or registration or anything because I don't plan on ever coming back to this freaking town -- especially not now that I've seen how its law enforcement acts. But if it's really that important to you, I'll fill out your stupid paperwork or whatever first. I'll go wherever you need me to go to get that done. Lead the way." I narrow my eyes. "But there is no way in the nine hells that you are putting me in handcuffs. I refuse to be made helpless while surrounded by a bunch of thugs with weapons pointed at me. I promise, I am no threat to you -- I will go with you willingly, and I will not draw my blades except in self-defense. But let's not forget that you're the ones who assaulted me first. I reserve the right to be able to defend myself if I have to."

Thinking about the pleas of my more diplomatic companions, I grit my teeth and sigh. "If all of you agree to disarm, I would be willing to remove my weapons from my belt and stow them in my bag out of reach for now. Will that satisfy you?"

Chuckles101
2013-12-15, 11:23 AM
The guard speaks after your indignant response. "I was defending myself from a madman with an unknown magic item. How dare you. I attempted to disarm you, and you stole my weapon. Nine hells.... what is..."

"Your offer is unacceptable. You will disarm yourself. You will drop the Praat shard or whatever it is, and kick it over here. We will escort you to the main office, where you will register your magic items, ALL OF THEM!"

Intimiade: [roll0] (it's not very effective)

"As a gesture of good will..." He raises his hand, makes a fist, rotates it, and brings it down. All of the guards raise their weapons, and begin to sheathe them. Polearms are held in one hand. Swords are sheathed, bows are relaxed without arrows in them.

He presses the button on his armor. "We will escort you to precinct one. OR, we will bring further reinforcements to make you comply. Will. You. Yield!"

He waits for a response.

Phoenix211
2013-12-15, 08:50 PM
"I am no madman. You have had nothing to defend yourself from, as I have not attacked you. I have done everything in my power to prevent violence here. And yet your insistence to the contrary, despite the blatant reality of the situation, tells me one of two things."

"First, that you truly believe what you are speaking. In which case you are insane, unable to tell truth from paranoid fantasies, and are spouting nonsense. Or second, that you know full well that what you speak is false. In which case you are deliberately lying, inventing random charges to force an arrest of an innocent man. I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are merely crazy, and not evil."

"I do not want anyone to get hurt, and for that reason I accept your gesture of goodwill and will hold up my end of my own offer. I will stow my weapons and the Shard out of reach, but I will give you no further concession. I will certainly not hand over any of my belongings to you without any guarantee of getting them back. And no, I don't trust you. I have tried to be reasonable, but you have proven to be a man who cannot be reasoned with."

"Do you understand me? You. Do not. Frighten me. I have already said I will go with you wherever you wish. But we go as equals, or not at all. That is my final offer."

I begin the process of unbuckling my sword sheathes from my belt, unstringing my bow off my back, kneeling down, opening my pack, and strapping them all inside, along with the Praat Shard. (Considering I've already taken two move actions this round, though, I technically can't do any of that until everyone else has their round.)

Zyzzyx
2013-12-15, 09:04 PM
Holding the bag, Igi-Kur squats down and attempts to step over his manacles so that his hands are in front of him instead of behind his back, albeit still manacled.

Escape artist: [roll0]

As he does this, he speaks to the guards and the large oddly-dressed man and dwarf somewhat condescendingly:

OK, one of two things are going to happen here. If neither of you backs down, there'll be a fight, like there always is when this happens, and from looking at what this shard-bearing man has on him, I estimate that either: (1) you will lose, and most if not all of you will wind up injured or killed, or (2) you will win, but most of you if not all of you will still wind up injured or killed. And who knows how many bystanders will get injured or killed while all this is happening?

This man is very dangerous. That dwarf is also most likely very dangerous...and I suspect he's not registered either; he came from the same place this man and I did. Are you going to arrest him as well? That might not go well for either you or him, either. I LET you arrest me. I haven't resisted. I'm defenseless. And why would I do that? Why would I put myself in that position? Because I have absolutely nothing to prove and no motive other than to get my belongings and go on about my life in...whatever this...town...is.

Now: are you all going to be reasonable about this and avoid the needless confrontation, or are you just going to fight here over absolutely nothing?

Zyzzyx
2013-12-15, 09:40 PM
Botched roll:

Diplomacy
[roll0]

Chuckles101
2013-12-16, 09:18 AM
The guard in front of Thanatos seems to be fuming, but attempting to hold his resolve. He seethes in anger, and then begins to smile just a little bit. His hand still on his armor, he seems to be speaking to someone else,

"I hope you heard all of that." Back to you, hand still on his armor, he says in his best authoritative voice. "Fine then. We will escort you and your friends to the precinct. We will then settle your crimes and your registrations."

He then turns to Kubrik, noticing his garb. "I assume you are a spellcaster of some sort? You will have to register as well. For the record, you have not been charged with any crimes as of yet."

Turning to Enki (Igi-Kur) "Oh come on... seriously?" He looks at you floundering around on the ground attempting to get the handcuffs from behind your back. "Will someone take care of him, PLEASE?!??!" One of the guards comes over to Igi-Kur and stands him up, undoes the handcuffs, and re-fastens them behind his back.

Back to Thanatos, "I understand that you do not trust me. Your actions have shown that you are unafraid, and thus, I must respect either your foolishness, or your power. However, if you have any goodness inside you, you will not disrespect our laws while you are here." He presses his armor again. "Suspect has a large pack of weapons and other assorted items, including a magic crystal shard. He claims it is a 'Praat' shard. Please investigate." Turning to you. "You will carry your pack with both hands in front of you, not on your back, as you follow us."

He presses his armor. "I also need at least 4 Grunts to carry a couch." They appear within a couple rounds as everyone gets more relaxed. Turning to Igi-Kur, "Your couch will be taken care of, and returned to you once registered."

We are now out of combat time, for the time being. I need everyone to post something either that they are ok with what's going on, or they are objecting to part of what's happening. Basically, as such.
Igi-Kur - you're about to be uncuffed, and recuffed behind your back, and put into their custody
Thanatos - you get the feeling that he's almost pleading with you, but something seems hidden behind that smile...
Kubrik - you've done nothing wrong, except for the fact that he's asking you to register as a spellcaster.

Zyzzyx
2013-12-16, 10:20 AM
As Igi-Kur is being uncuffed, he says to the guard,

Do you really need my hands behind my back with my cuffs on? You can see my hands either way...and my bag isn't huge but it's not the most comfortable thing to hold behind my back like this. Or could I just follow you on my couch on the way to register it? It's not exactly built for speed, so I couldn't get out of your sight on it. Otherwise...can I just keep these cuffs on in front of me so I can carry this more comfortably without my arms getting slowly wrenched out of their sockets?

Chuckles101
2013-12-16, 10:50 AM
The guard relents and motions for Igi-Kur to hold his arms out in front.

Zyzzyx
2013-12-16, 11:07 AM
Igi-Kur does so.

Thank you; I can see at least some people around here are reasonable.

Once the cuffs are on, Igi-Kur picks up his bag and carries it. As he does so, he thinks to himself: What kind of magical event could cause people from so many different worlds to all arrive in the same place?

Knowledge: arcana [roll0]

Chuckles101
2013-12-16, 11:31 AM
Igi-Kur

Combining your extensive knowledge of spells and mishaps with what Thanatos told you earlier about a staff breaking and a flash of light, you deduce that there are very few possibilities.

The staff of the magi can be broken in a retributive strike. There is the possibility of traveling to a different plane when this happens. However, it is odd for multiple people to travel to the same plane when happening by different objects at different times. (All of you traveled to roughly the same spot at the same time, even when you are all on different worlds (possibly).

In order for this to happen, the staves that broke must have something in common. Whether made by the same person, enchanted with the same spell, whatever.

Another possibility is that several wizards put together a spell to cast a specific type of plane shift that sends you to a specific plane. But this seems fairly unlikely, as these people don't even know about resurrection.

Phoenix211
2013-12-16, 07:53 PM
I finish packing up my gear and nod curtly. "Fine." I stand up and hold my bag in front of me with both hands. It's a little bulky, what with all of my weapons shoved in there, but it's nothing I can't handle.

Now that violence seems to have been averted, I begin to relax, although I remain wary. The guard captain is unpredictable, and I still don't trust him not to turn violent again at the drop of a hat. This whole situation could have been handled peacefully from the start; the fact that it almost erupted into a brawl sets me on edge. Something about this situation doesn't feel right, but I can't put my finger on it. Even so, perhaps some useful information can still be gleaned from the man.

I address the same guard, putting on what I hope is a more amicable tone of voice. "What is the reason for such a strict magic item registration law? I have travelled across the world, seen many kingdoms far and wide. While spellcasting licenses and such are not unheard of, none of them have been quite so draconian. What happened here to make you people so afraid of magic?"

Zyzzyx
2013-12-16, 08:00 PM
Igi-Kur further wonders: Is it possible that some kind of convergence here happened spontaneously (more or less naturally?) in the planes bringing us here, along with those other people those weird priests spoke about finding, or is it more likely that we were brought here on purpose?

Knowledge: Planes
[roll0]

FrankieTheKneeM
2013-12-16, 11:33 PM
I breathe a sigh of relief, content that there will be no bloodshed standing between me an my further investigation of this place.

I am, after all, a holy man. One does not spend as many years as I have wielding the power of his god without picking up a few tricks, or losing a few friends.

A frown comes over my face and my eyes lose focus for a second.

In my "travel" here, I seem to have lost my valet, and am in dire need of another. Is there... somewhere I might post an advertisement? I need help with my armor, and keeping track of my things. I pay rather well, considering the position, usually with a hefty advance for the family.

I motion with my staff that I will follow these men.

Zyzzyx
2013-12-17, 11:27 AM
Turning to the holy dwarf, Igi-Kur replies:

How much do you pay? I have some skill and experience at keeping track of things...and assuming registration goes well I have some other qualifications you might find useful.

Chuckles101
2013-12-17, 07:36 PM
The head guard pipes up, longing to tell you why everyone is so up in arms with you using a random shard.

"Nearly a decade ago, a horrible wizard caused so much trouble when he linked together seven household objects that he had enchanted. I don't know the details, but they were activated just by holding them, causing horrible luck around them. It completely devastated the town, people were dying left and right due to freak accidents. It took forever to figure out that magic items were the source. So, the King decided to force all magic items to be registered. We haven't had a mishap or an attack since."

Turning towards Kubrik, "I'm sure you can go to one of the taverns later to make an announcement. Or hire a scribe to send out a notice..."

Igi-Kur
It is likely that there was some kind of convergence connected to the event that brought you here. Since you and Thanatos had a similar experience in how you traveled to this plane, you presume that the staves that were broken to send you here are linked in some way. You have heard of planar convergences before. Usually it happens when two opposed magic items or casters attempt to foil each other, and a mishap occurs.

Everyone keeps walking down the road, seeing all the businesses as they pass by. You see the normal places you would expect in a large city. Inns, Taverns, Weapon shops, Armor shops, Potion shops, etc.

Zyzzyx
2013-12-18, 12:31 AM
Seven household items...bad luck...nearly a decade ago? Igi-Kur wonders if he knows what kind of spell this guard might be talking about? And whose cuisine reigns supreme?

Knowledge: arcana [roll0]

Spellcraft: 1d20+36

Zyzzyx
2013-12-18, 12:34 AM
Botched roll: [roll0]

FrankieTheKneeM
2013-12-19, 12:15 AM
I laugh a little and respond do Igi-kur's offer.

I doubt you'd be interested - I payed my last man two gold pieces a day to tend the pack animals, watch over camp, and help me with my armor, but he was a trusted employee who'd been with me for a great many years. I think I'd be looking for an untrained young adult at about half that, but I doubt I have need for someone of your expertise. Still, if you're interested, you're interested, and I always pay for room and board. For people with families they're leaving behind, I usually pay a deposit of around 300gp, expecting they can visit their families about once a year and leave behind however much they've saved.

Turning to this "new", friendlier officer of the law -

Seven household objects? Of what sort? And this registration doesn't include the possibility of having to surrender some of my belongings, does it? I've some very rare and powerful items. I've spent years collecting them. Some are family heirlooms, and some I've procured on the behalf of Boccob, and intend to turn over to the church when I've run out of use for them. I'd hate to see them lost.

Chuckles101
2013-12-19, 02:26 PM
Igi-Kur

You are unfamiliar with any spell that just gives bad luck. However, Bestow Curse can cause a 50% chance of doing nothing. This could be someone's own version of a similar spell, that could even be more powerful. Your spellcraft check is unable to tell you whose cuisine reigns supreme.

"I am unfamiliar with the inner workings of the attacks, just that they happened, and we are better off given the effectiveness of our restrictions. As per your concerns, your objects will be analyzed and will remain in your visual contact throughout the process, so as to ensure the correct items are given back. As long as you are truthful about the items, and they do not have an inherent danger to the public, you will receive them back."

Phoenix211
2013-12-19, 07:21 PM
I let out a low whistle of surprise. "That sounds horrible indeed," I say with complete sincerity. "I can see why you would panic at seeing someone using magic after an experience like that. I would be more than happy to help you prevent another such calamity. I can assure you, however, the item I was using was just a normal Praat Shard, nothing to be afraid of. None of my items are capable of mass destruction. But if you must examine it and my other items to be convinced that none of them are cursed or anything, then so be it."

I then frown, just slightly. "I certainly hope no harm comes to any of my belongings, either. My swords are both one-of-a-kind, and I have never let anyone but myself touch them since I got them. Not intentionally, anyway. If it's possible to perform your divinations while I hold onto them, I would appreciate it."

Zyzzyx
2013-12-19, 09:30 PM
Igi-Kur looks around at the town trying to get a general layout of the area. Apart from the guards, anyone else out in the open seem to have conspicuous magical gear or items?

Chuckles101
2013-12-19, 09:33 PM
"I'm afraid that won't be possible, sir. We have had cases of fraudulent auras before. Thus, only our trained professionals are allowed in our analysis room. This is the only way we can ensure a proper test for evidence purposes."

Igi-Kur
You notice a couple people with very minor magical items. The conspicious ones you notice are ioun stones (whirling around people's heads). You also notice these same people have a red and blue patch on their shoulder similar to the crest shown below.

You all continue to walk down the street, and you turn a left onto what seems to be a major highway, complete with spaces for sidewalks. Horse drawn carts are going down the road. They carry people and goods along the road. Going about two blocks down the road, you walk up to a large stone building. Emblazoned in royal blue painted wood is a sign.

King's Guard
'crest'
Precinct One

The crest in the middle is the following.
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100919165913/dino/images/c/c9/Bedheim_Coat_of_Arms.png

Zyzzyx
2013-12-20, 04:31 PM
Igi-Kur turns to Rob:

So how long have you been a guard? What made you decide to join up and serve?

Phoenix211
2013-12-21, 10:52 AM
I reply to the head guard. "I'm sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't asking permission, I was just being polite. Let me rephrase -- I am going to hold on to my swords while you perform your divinations, thank you. I am no spellcaster, I have no means of falsifying magic auras or anything like that. I have nothing to hide from you. Your examinations will proceed just fine with the items remaining in my possession."

Chuckles101
2013-12-26, 07:20 PM
Rob keeps conversing with Enki. "Well, I've always wanted to be part of the King's Guard, ever since my older brother got into the King's Guard. He's actually sparring pretty well with your friend, here." He points to the head guard.

The head guard turns to Thanatos, "We have ways of detecting your magical abilities. We will not take the chance of just taking your word. Let's just go inside, and you can talk to the captain about this. And stop talking to the detainees, ROB!"

Zyzzyx
2013-12-26, 10:28 PM
Ignoring the head guard, Igi-Kur continues talking to Rob:

Oh wow...so he's your older brother? What's his name, if I may ask? How'd he get into the guard?

Igi-Kur looks into the station to observe the layout / guards inside on the way in through the door with the other guards.

FrankieTheKneeM
2013-12-28, 01:55 AM
I follow along in silence, wondering about where I am, how I got here, and how I'm going to get home. I suppose I could hire a wizard, and do my best to describe my home to him. But to what avail? Perhaps, at least, I could scry on Kubrick, see if he's alright... I sigh audibly. I may never get to kill that bastard Gentleharp now. I'm not sure I have enough money left to hire more mercenaries. Even if I did, would it help? How many men have I sent to their death at his hands now?

My head hangs low. I am tired, and ageing. Maybe it's time to give up this foolish quest. Maybe I just can't win.

Chuckles101
2014-01-03, 10:02 AM
Rob continues, although he looks rather sheepish at his brother's scolding. "Yeah, Methuselah's always been the golden child of the family. But orders are orders. Let's go." He motions you all inside the stone building.

The double doors are wooden with reinforced steel, and you note that it seems to be very well made. It should be able to withstand quite a bit of damage before buckling through. The doors are continually opened and closed as guards walk in and out. As you all make your way in, you see the general layout of the foyer and adjoining rooms.

The foyer is 20 x 20 ft with 2 guards in full armor and weapons standing at attention at the left and right ends. After 20 ft, the room opens up into a larger office room, at least 40 ft. wide, and possibly even longer in depth. Several desks are stationed throughout the room. There are double staircases on the sides of the room, leading up to a mezzanine where more desks are being occupied with stacks of papers. What catches your eye is the tall desk right in front (25 ft into the room). It is roughly 8ft. tall, with 2 workers writing with all due diligence. There is a lot of commotion with people walking, talking, even yelling. There are several people in the room, probably between 30-40.

{table] |A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|K|M|N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z
1|||||||||||||||||||||||
2|||||||||||||||||||||||
3||||||w|w|w|w|w|w|w|w|w|w|w|w||||||
4||||||w|||||||||||w||||||
5||||||w|d||d||d||d||d||w||||||
6||||||w|||||||||||w||||||
7||||||w|d||d||d||d||d||w||||||
8||||||w|s|||||||||s|w||||||
9||||||w|s||d||d||d||d|s|w||||||
10||||||w|||||||||||w||||||
11||||||w|||||||||||w||||||
12||||||w||||D|D|D|D||||w||||||
13||||||w|||||||||||w||||||
14||||||w|w|w|w|||||w|w|w|w||||||
15|||||||||w|g|||g|w|||||||||
16|||||||||w|||||w|||||||||
17|||||||||w|||||w|||||||||
18|||||||||w|w|e|e|w|w|||||||||
19|||||||||||||||||||||||

[/table]

This is a map of the first floor only
d - standard desk
s - stairs up
D - 8 ft. tall desk
w - walls
e - entrance doors

If you walk through the doors, Perception DC 25
Through the commotion and people coming and going, you think you see something glowing on the side of the guards' hips. It might be the same thing that you noticed the head guard pressing when he was making announcements.

Zyzzyx
2014-01-03, 10:55 AM
Good point; let's get this over with so you can get on with what you have to do.

Igi-Kur walks up to the large desk and says: I have some magic items to register. I just arrived here but Guard Methuselah over there said that we had to come here in order to do that.

Igi-Kur looks around.

I also have a couch that was brought here; Mr. Methuselah told me that it would be returned to me once it was registered. Has it arrived yet?

FrankieTheKneeM
2014-01-07, 06:35 PM

I trudge up to the desk.

I have a great many things in my possession, magical and mundane. Most of them are dangerous, if I choose to make them so - an inescapable side effect of my service in the Militial support of Boccob. Which ones would you like me to get out for you?

Phoenix211
2014-01-07, 10:09 PM
I nod and follow Methuselah into the building without further comment, my bag still held non-threateningly before me. I look around and take in the sight of the large room.

I watch the others step up to the big desk and begin asking questions, but I remain behind Methuselah, waiting for him to take me to this so-called captain of his.

Chuckles101
2014-01-13, 07:19 PM
The three of you begin to walk into the building's main area. As Igi-Kur and Kubri walk up to the desk, they are startled by a loud alarm. The two guards hold their halberds at attention, but make no other movements.

A loud voice booms over. "Gentlemen. Security effect Bravo is in effect. Please allow yourself and your items to be scanned. No harm will come to you or your items."

Methuselah is in the room with you as well, perfectly calm. He seems to just be waiting and biding his time.

After the voice is finished every single magic item you are carrying (including those in packs (not extra-dimensional spaces)) begins to glow. Igi-Kur's and Kubrik's bodies begin to glow as well.

Actions?

Zyzzyx
2014-01-13, 10:12 PM
I do have other things in my bag, but I hesitate to produce them...not because they're dangerous, but...taking them all out will take awhile; they're under a lot of things.

Never a particularly trusting person, Igi-Kur wonders: Is Methuselah planning something bad or REALLY bad?

Sense motive: [roll0]

Chuckles101
2014-01-14, 05:14 PM
Methuselah just stands there in the back of the room. He looks very nonchalant, as if this has happened many times before.

You don't really get the indication that anything bad is about to happen here.

The same booming voice is heard. "Yes, please remove everything from any bags of holding or other bags that you may have. The guards will ensure that the bags are empty while your items are scanned."

Zyzzyx
2014-01-14, 05:59 PM
Igi-Kur sighs. OK...if that's the procedure.

He inverts his bag of holding...out fall, among other things, five small notebooks, a couple bottles of smelling salts and other medicines, 10 pounds of garlic, a collapsible bathtub...and 800 bars (400 pounds) of soap.

Igi-Kur's backpack contains:

1 Traveler's Any-Tool
2 Soul Stimulants
1 Everburning Torch
2 Antitoxins
10 Antiplagues
10 Troll Oils
10 Soothe Syrups
5 Compact Spellbooks (not marked as such)
1 Bottle of Invisible Ink
1 Inkpen
1 Bedroll
1 Blanket
1 Collapsible Bathtub
10 Bloodblocks
10 Bottles of Healy Myrrh
10 Bodybalms
10 Pounds of Garlic
2 Bottles of Smelling Salts
800 bars of soap

None of Igi-Kur's items has any tags or anything else showing his actual name.

Phoenix211
2014-01-14, 06:27 PM
I am immediately startled and tense up. They're casting a spell on me? Some kind of attack? However, even though my two companions are glowing, I apparently am not. Whatever spell it is doesn't appear to be affecting me directly. Trying not to make any sudden movements, I subtly roll my shoulders and shuffle my feet to check if I am under a paralysis effect.

If not, I conclude that it must just be the divination spells scanning for magic items. I agreed to have my items scanned as long as I kept posession of them, and that appears to be exactly the case. I am satisfied, and relax a bit. I remain aware, however, of the positions of Methuselah and the guards with readied weapons. No reason to take chances. But if Methuselah is calm, I am calm.

I watch a gigantic pile of soap pour out of Igi-Kur's bag and grunt softly. "I have no such magical luggage," I assure the guards. "I can't imagine why anyone would need to carry that much frivolous stuff with them."

Zyzzyx
2014-01-18, 08:26 PM
You never know when having some soap will be useful, Igi-Kur responds.

Looking over Rob's and Methuselah's equipment waiting for the scan to complete, Igi-Kur wonders how much it costs to equip a guard.

Appraise: [roll0]

FrankieTheKneeM
2014-01-19, 10:10 AM
I laugh heartily at Igi-kur's response.

You really never know, do you?

I step to the side and take my pack off. Digging out my Bag of Holding, I gently remove the small mirror inside before turning it inside out, letting its payload crash to the floor.

Compass
Twine (100ft)
Fire Bolts (10)
Blanket
Bedroll
Outfit, Cold-Weather
Spider's Silk Rope(100ft)
Chair
Heatstones (20)
Stretcher
Outfit, Noble's
Glove, Metal
Bolts (100)
Unholy Water (10 Vials)
Eye Ointment (10 Vials)
Tent, Hanging
Bathtub, Collapsible
Ladder
Cot
Vestments, Cleric's (5 Sets)
Tent, Pavilion
Soap (50 lbs)
Silver Dust (10 Small bags)
Dwarven Trail Rations (50)
Caltrops (50 uses)

I try to take note of the glowing items on my peers, looking for anything the might normally keep hidden or that would surprise me (Perception [roll0]) while I puzzle about what sort of magic would generate this effect (Spellcraft: [roll1])

Chuckles101
2014-01-21, 06:30 PM
Kubrik
You think the spell is a combination of detect magic, with arcane mark (or a form of glitterdust). It seems to make anything glow that is magical, mainly so that others can see it.

As for magical items on your companions, Igi-Kur's entire robe / body is glowing, so it's difficult to find a specific piece that is glowing. Your entire body is glowing as well, including any magical armor / wearable items you have.

As for Thanatos, he is not glowing. Aside from his armor, and weapons, you notice his phylactery (head slot) and a single ring glowing on his hand.

Igi-Kur
For the average guard, you would assume from what they are wearing:
Full-plate, polearm, sword, shield, you surmise the items to be very well made, possibly magical in nature. However, you couldn't think that they'd spend more than a +1 item on common guards. If the items are +1 (not just masterwork), you surmise that the guards weapons and gear would amount to approximately 8,000 gp. This amount will be significantly less if just masterwork. (around 3,000)

The same voice is heard, "Sir, will you please empty your bag like your colleagues? It is not necessary to make such a mess though...."

Methuselah puts his hands on his hips and peers at you. He motions with his eyes, as if to say, 'you gonna do this or not'

Zyzzyx
2014-01-21, 07:05 PM
Igi-Kur bows. I apologize for the mess, but I don't know any quicker way to show you.

Turning to Thanatos, Igi-Kur says,

Come on; it's no harm to just do as they say, right? Besides...

Turning toward Methuselah, hoping someone will find this disclosure persuasive and (ideally) uncuff him:

I think I might have some idea about how we came to be here. After all, we're not the only out-of-towners who've shown up around here recently, are we? My name is Enki. I'm a collector of fine furniture...but you know as much.

Based on my companions' accounts, it sounds like each of us was defending ourselves from something that involved a staff breaking. At least that's my guess. Regardless, if a staff is broken, it can transport someone very, very far from home. But it's very unlikely for several people to travel to the same plane when that happens by different objects at different times.

In order for this to happen, the staves that broke must have had something in common. Whether made by the same person, enchanted with the same spell, whatever. Another possibility is that several wizards put together a spell to cast a specific type of plane shift that sends you to a specific plane. But this seems fairly unlikely...unless someone here called us, which would require that they be in communication with those who sent us here. But even with as many crimes as you guards undoubtedly deal with, I doubt that level of planning is within the power of the locals here. Something bigger must be in play here. And I suspect that it's in our interest...and I'd venture in yours also, as guards of the King...that we find out what that is.

Speaking of furniture...has my couch arrived yet? Who commands this garrison? Mr. Methuselah over there? I'd love to be out of these cuffs, but I'm sure whoever is in charge has questions and I'll gladly try and answer them as best I can.

Zyzzyx
2014-01-21, 07:35 PM
Botched diplomacy roll from earlier:

[roll0]

Phoenix211
2014-01-23, 09:27 PM
I narrow my eyes at Methuselah a bit. "Empty my bag? As you wish." I slowly kneel down and set my bag at my feet. I pull my swords out, making sure to grip them only by the scabbards and not by the hilts, and hold them both in my left hand as I pull the rest of my belongings out with my right and set them on the floor next to the bag. I travel fairly light -- aside from some mundane rope, chalk, flint and steel, and the like, my bag contains only three items which are glowing: the unstrung bow which I put in there earlier, the hand-sized crystal Praat Shard, and a small gray rock which is on fire, yet doesn't burn anything.

I finish laying out those items on the floor beside my bag, keeping my swords in hand at all times. Then I lay the swords across my knees and fold my hands peacefully over them, giving Methuselah a level look. "Will that be all?"

Chuckles101
2014-02-04, 09:44 AM
The voice sounds again, "Thank you for your cooperation. All of you may now collect your belongings."

A yellow haze goes over the room as the alarm silences. A few guards come into the ante-room. "Do you require assistance with your belongings?" The guards flanking the group relax their weapons.

Diplomacy math DC = 15+lvl+wis+relationship+risk+hasty
15+5+0+5+7+10 = 42 - FAIL

Methuselah speaks to 'Enki. "You realize I can't just uncuff you. Most of you are under arrest for attempting to use magic items without a permit. And you in particular are under arrest for attempted escape." He looks at you matter of factly and motions for you to continue towards the desk after you collect all of your belongings. (Other guards will help put things into your bag if you wish)

The persons at the large bench attempt to grab Enki's attention. "Your couch has been delivered and is awaiting inspection. You will be able to grab it shortly once you have been processed." They then shout out, "All persons step forward for declaration and processing."

One person at the large bench. "Anything to declare?"

Zyzzyx
2014-02-04, 02:43 PM
Igi-Kur steps up to the desk.

Yes, if someone could help me gather up all the items and soap, I would be very grateful. With an eye toward Methuselah, he continues,

I'm not sure I understand, but if by "declare" you mean that I may speak, I would like to fully cooperate and comply with your laws and register the items you have scanned, as well as my couch. If you mean "declare" as in list the other items I have, I also have a pouch on my person with some money in it, and components for my spells, apart from what has been scanned and emptied from the bag. Is there anything else you need me to declare or say at this point? I want to cooperate as best I can, but if any charges are going to be filed against me, I will have to retain counsel before saying anything further.

Zyzzyx
2014-02-04, 03:20 PM
Igi-Kur looks at the desk; are there any nametags or identifying information for the officers at the desk?

Phoenix211
2014-02-05, 06:41 PM
"No thank you," I say to the guards, "I will handle my items myself." Still holding my swords by the scabbards in one hand, I return all of the items on the floor to my bag with the other. For a moment I hesitate as I consider whether it is safe yet to rebuckle my swords to my belt, but I decide I'd better wait until after the registration process is done. No need to cause undue turmoil in this forsaken place. I put the swords back in my bag instead.

Once I am done, I approach the large desk, stepping up beside Igi-Kur. I address another official. "Declare? You have already seen all of my magic items. That spell you cast that made them all glow, that was some sort of divination, was it not? What more do I need to do to complete this registration process? Is there paperwork I need to fill out or something?" I hold my pack under the crook of one arm and gesture to it with the other. "If we can just take care of registering my Praat Shard, I don't really even care about the rest of it. As long as your thugs will allow me to concentrate on my Shard for just a minute, I'll be out of your hair and you'll never have to see me again."

Chuckles101
2014-02-19, 04:44 PM
The guards take an inventory of your items that have been scanned. The form asks you to list all of your magic items. The guards explain that it is a mere formality to list your magic items that they have already scanned.

Igi-Kur
You see that the two people handling communications and your list of magic items have name tags. The one assisting you (the left side of the desk) is Joshua. The one on the other side is John.

The guard at the desk speaks to Kubrik. "Counsel? Why would you need advice on facing charges? After your items are registered, we will take you to the courthouse where you may plead your case."

The other guard at the desk starts registering items with Thanatos. "Once your items are registered you may feel free to exit the building and use your magic items. The use of magic items is prohibited inside this building."

Methuselah shouts from the back. "Actually, he's under arrest as well. So he'll be taken to the magistrate immediately."

The guard to Thanatos: "Then, we will take you to the magistrate immediately."

Phoenix211
2014-02-19, 06:23 PM
I give a long and exasperated sigh, seething as I grudgingly begin filling out the form. Such needless delays.

I hear the desk guard say that this is the last step before I am free to exit, and I let out a whistle of relief. But at Methuselah's interjection and the other guard's reply, my face turns grim again and I bark a short laugh. "No, I'm afraid Officer Methuselah is mistaken. I have no interest in being arrested; I have caused no harm to this town or anyone in it. The only thing I did wrong was attempting to activate an unregistered magic item when I first arrived here, before I knew of your registration laws. I agreed to rectify that by coming peacefully to this place and registering my items at once, and I have followed through on my promise. He and I have nothing left to discuss -- anything else is just trumped up charges Officer Methuselah invented to try to get me arrested, and I see no reason to play along."

I continue writing on the form, completing my inventory as I speak. "I have done everything I can to fully comply with your laws here. Once I have finished filling out this form and this registration business has finally been put behind us, I will do as you just said and exit the building and freely use my magic items out there. Everything will be fine and we will all go our separate ways."

Chuckles101
2014-02-19, 08:07 PM
The guard at the desk has a puzzled look as he listens to your story. "Wait a second. You weren't aware of our registration laws? How did you get in here? In that case... how did all of you get here?" The guard presses a button at his desk, and puts an earpiece in his ear. The other guard appears to do the same.

Thanatos
Make a will save DC 24. You are unaware of needing to make a will save. It is mind-affecting, but not enchantment. Please place your roll inside a spoiler for DM only.

Igi-Kur
Make a will save DC 24. You are unaware of needing to make a will save. It is mind-affecting, but not enchantment. Please place your roll inside a spoiler for DM only.

Kubrik

Zyzzyx
2014-02-19, 08:45 PM
Will save: [roll0]

Puzzled, Igi-Kur asks John and Joshua, Wait...didn't I just explain this? I was in the process of trying to obtain a desk and the person whose desk it was didn't want to relinquish it...so he challenged me to a duel, blah blah blah, he was losing, blah blah blah, he resigned his position and broke his staff and it magically transported me here without the desk I wanted. Has that never happened to you?

Phoenix211
2014-02-19, 09:48 PM
DM only:
Will save, non-Enchantment: [roll0]

"I was carried here unconscious by a group of clerics. Apparently they discovered me somewhere nearby. The clerics didn't mention any such law, which honestly is kind of an oversight if you ask me." I look around me. "This city doesn't look familiar, so I think I must have been teleported a great distance. That's why I want to use my Praat Shard, I'm just trying to teleport back to where I came from."

Phoenix211
2014-02-19, 09:49 PM
DM only:
(Botched roll)

Phoenix211
2014-02-19, 09:52 PM
DM only:
(Wow, the rolls on this thing are super finicky)

Chuckles101
2014-02-19, 10:03 PM
Thanatos
Did you mean to say field outside the city? I'm looking back at previous posts, and I can't find where that is...

Phoenix211
2014-02-20, 08:43 AM
DM:
Weird, I could have sworn I read something about it being in a field outside the city. But looking back the only detail I could find was that we were found "around the area." I must have just made up the field part in my head, I guess. I edited my post to be more accurate.

Chuckles101
2014-02-21, 09:50 AM
"It's not an oversight if they just found you somewhere. You're saying you have no memory of how you got into the city?" He lets you continue. "Teleported in? That's..... not possible...." Listening to Enki, he speaks again. "No... teleportation isn't possible. You would have had to come in through the city gates. Give me one second." He presses a purple button on the desk. "Sir, will you please come down here for a second?" He turns to the three of you, motioning to a couple chairs. "Please have a seat while you wait for my boss."

Those at the desk
Throughout all the commotion, something has seen amiss since you stood up to the desk, but you weren't sure what. Now, given a chance to relax and not being completely harassed by guards, you understand that your belts / bracers / headwear / everything magical isn't working. Weapons and armor seem normal as opposed to having abilities.
Thanatos

Your one mythical sword (the one owned by a goddess [I assume the +10 sword]) still seems to have some magical power to it, but much less than before. Your sun Blade is completely devoid of magic. (Could you give me the names of your swords in a spoiler?)

Phoenix211
2014-02-21, 12:38 PM
DM:
It's actually the Sun Blade, named "Kusanagi", that I claimed was once owned by the sun goddess Amaterasu. The +10 sword is an ancient Nordican hero's blade, named "Tryggsverthr". (Thanatos probably can't pronounce it. You know, it's Norse.) It's the equivalent of me finding Beowulf's sword that he used to slay Grendel's mother or something. It wasn't owned by a deity, just a mythical hero of yore.

"So you're saying there is some sort of barrier that prevents teleportation into the city? Then I was probably teleported to a field or something outside the city and brought in through the gates by the clerics. They didn't specify. I don't see what the big deal is."

I shake my head as I finish listing the last item on the form and slide the paper back to the guard. "Anyway, I don't particularly care how or where I was teleported, I just want to leave. You said we were done here and I was free to go, so I shall take you at your word. If teleportation really is blocked somehow within the city, then I would appreciate if you gave me directions to the nearest city gate so I can exit and use my Praat Shard out there. If you are unwilling to help, that's fine, I'll just find it myself. Good day."

Zyzzyx
2014-02-23, 08:48 PM
Igi-Kur fills out the rest of the form and goes over to sit in the chair, after making sure that all the items from his bag of holding are safely back in it.

Well, I'll certainly wait. I've been trying to tell him about this situation since I got here.

Turning toward the holy dwarf: So who is this Willrose Gentlecarp person you were speaking of earlier? The one with the staff?

Chuckles101
2014-02-26, 02:45 PM
"Actually," the desk guard replies to Thanatos, "I said you could leave until learning that you were going to be charged with a crime. Until my boss gets down, I would like for you to stay. If you would like some more information, I would be glad to talk with you until he arrives."

He continues, "It is unlikely that the guard would have brought you in from outside the city. You would need to be conscious to be processed, unless you had visited our city before. That's why it is very puzzling how you got in here. We will undoubtedly send someone to question the clerics who brought you in. Could you describe them?" The guard presses another button on the desk, causing a small device to push out from the desk, looking similar to a cone or horn. The wide end is open towards you, as the guard motions for you to speak into it.

Phoenix211
2014-02-26, 07:35 PM
I roll my eyes, my frustration mounting. "I don't know, I wasn't paying that much attention," I snap irritably, making sure to do so in the direction of the horn. "There were two of them; one was older and one was younger. If they gave their names, I no longer remember them." I wave my hand vaguely towards Igi-Kur and Kubrik. "Those two were brought in by the same clerics, maybe they will have more to tell you. But as for myself, I am done with this place."

"I have already said my piece about the supposed 'arrest' for whatever 'crimes' Mr. Methuselah has invented, and if you don't want to listen to me...well, that's not my problem. As far as I'm concerned, my obligation to him and your town was satisfied when I subjected myself to this registration nonsense. I don't really care if you help me or not, I'm sure I'll find someone else to show me the way out of the city."

As I turn away from the desk, I nod to Igi-Kur and Kubrik in turn. "Good luck on finding your own ways home, I wish you both the best." With that, I head for the door out of the building.

Zyzzyx
2014-02-28, 12:14 AM
Igi-Kur addresses the guard speaking to Thanatos:

No worry; I can describe them. They worship a deity called...Hollybibble...probably some kind of goddess, I presume? They seemed extremely upset when somebody mentioned something about having been resurrected or some such nonsense...but I would like some information, actually. How did you and Joshua become guards?

Chuckles101
2014-03-13, 12:26 PM
The guards at the desk turn to each other.
"Can he just go like that? We asked him to stay."
"I'm sure it will be fine. We can always ask him to come back later."
Methuselah begins to protest but to no avail. It seems he is outranked by the decisions of the guards at the bench.
"The chief won't mind that?"
"He's registered his items. He seems fine to me."
"Ok then."

Methuselah stands there, jaw open as Thanatos just walks right out.

Turning to where Thanatos stood, "All right then. I'll just need you to.... Where'd he go?"
(You've already left while they were talking amongst themselves.)

"Well #^%$. I hope he comes back"

The guards listen to Igi-Kur.

"HAHAH! Oh that's good. You guys clearly aren't from around here. Everyone's heard of the Holy Bible (pronounced correctly). There's a lot of churches in the area. Unless you can really narrow it down, we won't be able to help you too much."

"This guy clearly hasn't done anything wrong except not know anything about anything. You all are free to go." The guard presses a button and all shackles are undone and fly to the corner of the room on a hook. "If I might ask, could you grab your friend and tell him that we would like to talk with him at his earliest convenience? Thank you." The two guards continue to laugh at each other at your outburst. It seems that they are unable to contain themselves and will be of no further use to either of you. Methuselah is also laughing, hurting his sides as he gasps for breath.

Everyone
Thanatos has just started walking out the door. Everyone is free to do as they wish.
It should be noted as part of the registration process, you have received an ID card containing your name (that you gave) and the fact that you are in possession of magical items, all properly registered. It has your height, build, and if you are a spellcaster or not.

FrankieTheKneeM
2014-03-13, 01:59 PM
Will Save: [roll0]

I start suddenly - clearly having been lost in though.

Oh, of course... thank you, very much. I'll try not to disturb anyone.

I turn to Enki, leaving my things on the ground, and step close enough to whisper to him.

Listen - I don't know about you and the others, but I think we could use some allies. We're all clearly far from home. I, at least, am stuck here until I can find someone who has been somewhere I've ever heard of, and can Teleport me there, or give me directions. It'd be nice to have men as powerful as us working together, instead of competing. I'm going to the Inn - to hire a man, get a room clean up, eat, and gather information. If you're interested, meet me there later.

Satisfied that I've made my point, I go back to my things, scooping them into my bag of holding, and loading it all back into my pack.

Before I go, are there any colleges of Magic in the area? I may need to procure a spell or two. Whatever the legal way is to do that. What about stables?

Zyzzyx
2014-03-13, 09:23 PM
Igi-Kur checks to see whether his equipment is working again.

Turning to the holy dwarf, he whispers, I'll be there in an hour.

Gathering up the rest of his belongings, Igi-Kur bows respectfully to the guards.

Thank you for your help; I'm glad there are such diligent guards in this city. He turns, gathers his bag and remaining items and goes out the door.

Igi-Kur looks for the oddly dressed barbarian that just stormed out the door.

Phoenix211
2014-03-15, 11:02 AM
I pause for just a moment outside the door to give a disbelieving snort. "I honestly can't believe they didn't try to stop me," I mutter. While I'm here, I pull my swords from my bag and check them and my other magic items to see if they've started working again now that I'm out of the building. But I don't dare stop too long; I want to put some distance between myself and this police station just in case they decide to change their minds.

I immediately start walking again, taking random turns down random streets. I rebuckle my swords to my belt as I walk. I look around at the buildings for some kind of inn where I might be able to get a private room for just 60 seconds while I concentrate on my Shard. I don't want to get interrupted again.

If what the guards implied was true -- that teleportation is normally somehow blocked within the city -- then I'll eventually have to ask someone for directions to the city gate. But I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I'd like to at least try the Shard first, as soon as possible.

Zyzzyx
2014-03-16, 04:25 PM
Igi-Kur hops in his couch and directs his couch out the door. He locates the barbarian and calls out.

You're welcome to do what you wish, but if your shard doesn't work for whatever reason, I'm meeting the priest dwarf at the inn in an hour.

Igi-Kur commands his couch toward the town and scans for the inn.

Chuckles101
2014-03-16, 08:53 PM
The guard turns to Kubrik:
"There are many colleges of magic here in Cheshire. However, you must be a citizen in order to study our libraries. Perhaps you could go speak with the clerks there. As for stables, I recommend you go to the large inn and tavern." (He points you to an inn 3 blocks away, with a neighboring stables, as well as the nearest college of study: "University of Cheshire").

As you all exit the room, your items begin to work again. Bags, swords, various items. All seem to regain their strength as you are in the foyer (not where the desk and guards are), as well as when you decide to exit the building.

There are several buildings on the street near the police station. Arms and armor, fletcher, a shop specializing completely in polearms, a bakery, many various stores. At the intersection to your right you see an enormous town sign.

Local Attractions
---------------------------
Large Inn and Tavern - 3 R
Forum Bazaar - 2 L
Cheshire Courthouse - 4 U
Cheshire Aquarium - 7 L
UC (in stylized text) GO KNIGHTS! - 9 L

Zyzzyx
2014-03-16, 09:56 PM
Igi-Kur directs his couch toward the inn.

Phoenix211
2014-03-18, 08:04 PM
After a while of walking, I begin to wish I had looked for a sign or something to tell me where the inn is. Oh well, too late now. I just keep wandering until I eventually find it.

DM:
Go ahead and determine an appropriate amount of time for it to take before I eventually find the inn. Or a random city encounter or whatever, either way. I'm just wandering at this point.

Chuckles101
2014-03-18, 08:07 PM
Thanatos:
The sign was meant for all to see. You can easily head there. In either case, you are likely to follow Igi-Kur, or find the Large Inn on your own fairly quickly (within 5 minutes if wandering)

Phoenix211
2014-03-19, 05:52 PM
Fortunately, the inn is large and hard to miss, so I come across it soon enough. I step inside and look around for a reception area where I might be able to rent a room.

Zyzzyx
2014-03-31, 09:16 PM
Once Igi-Kur's couch reaches the inn, he looks around to reserve a room. Seeing the barbarian there as well, he says:

I see you came to this inn as well. Good choice; as I said before, I'll be meeting the dwarf here in an hour.

Turning to the counter, he says.

I would like to reserve a room. I don't need any furniture; an empty space or storage will do; I just need a quiet area to rest for an hour.

Phoenix211
2014-04-02, 05:47 PM
"Oh, it's you," I say as the strange man on the couch floats into the room. "Hello again."

I address whoever is at the counter as well. "I was looking for the same thing as this man. Just a quiet space to myself for a short time. In fact..."

I turn back to Igi-Kur. "If you don't mind, I would be well-served by sharing the same space with you. I promise not to disturb you; I really only need a few minutes of peace and quiet to check my items. After that I'll be gone again." One way or another, I think to myself.

Zyzzyx
2014-04-02, 11:26 PM
Hmm, says Igi-Kur to the man who was so confrontational with the guards earlier, mulling it over for a moment. I'll pay half if you'll pay half.

Turning back to the counter, impatiently. Well? Do you have any storage space or an empty room? How much? Speak up now; I don't have all week.

Chuckles101
2014-04-07, 07:38 AM
The Large Inn is found a couple blocks down the road. Surprisingly, time has gotten away from all of you as it appears that the sun is beginning to set. The building appears to be very spacious on the outside as well as the inside. There is an adjoining stables, as well as a separate building for drinks and food. Looking at the sign, "Large Inn and Tavern. Travelers welcome", you notice that the name of the building is the Large Inn, as well as itself being large.

Walking through the double doors, you see a small foyer with another set of doors. The place appears to be immaculate. There are plants growing in the corners in pots; the wood moldings are polished and dusted. There even appears to be brass fittings on most of the inner door handles as you walk inside the main lobby. A doorman opens the inner door and welcomes you both. He seems surprised to see someone floating inside on a couch, and immediately bows to Igi-Kur.

Before you is a spacious lobby with comfortable seating and a fireplace, with some people enjoying a small conversation, holding snifters of brandy. Adjoined to this room, through a door to your left, is "O'Leary's Tavern", filled with a good number of people. You can hear the sounds of a lute as someone walks through the door, as well as the loud commotion often heard in such places.

Inside the lobby area, a man and woman in uniform are at a large bench, also welcoming you in. "Checking in?", they both say in unison before they look up and see Igi-Kur on his floating couch. They immediately snap their fingers (again in unison). Two men from behind a door behind the bench come out to assist with your bags and belongings as needed. They begin to talk nearly exclusively to Igi-Kur, ignoring Thanatos until the two start talking to each other.

"We have the Kreggle suite available with all the usual furnishings. Joseph and Bartleby will show you upstairs to..."
"You don't need any furniture?"
"Surely, you must want some kind of comfortable bed"
"And fireplace"
"And room service"
"And pillows"
"And calming fish"
"And white noise operator"
"And mints"
"Oh YES! The mints!"

They wait for an answer as to the type of room you would like. The furnishings sound quite nice, but probably unnecessary for your purposes.

Zyzzyx
2014-04-07, 08:03 AM
Not wanting to lose out on a bargain, Igi-Kur replies:

How much is the Kreggle suite, and how much for an unfurnished room?

Chuckles101
2014-04-07, 08:39 AM
"Well, surely a man of your stature is not concerned with price. We'll show you upstairs right away."

Zyzzyx
2014-04-07, 08:50 AM
Very well.

Assuming the stairs are wide enough, Igi-Kur directs his couch to follow Joseph and Bartleby, beckoning for the barbarian to follow.

Phoenix211
2014-04-10, 07:45 PM
"Er, not interested in paying for a suite, thanks," I cut in. "Really, all I need is a small, private space to rest for a moment. No furniture, no...no mints, just a plain room to rent for an hour or so." The frustration I had felt at the guard station begins to trickle back again. Just how hard is it to get anything done in this town?

Something suddenly occurs to me, and I frown slightly. "Ah, I haven't had a chance to get my money changed since I entered town. Does your inn accept foreign currency?" I pull an Ossian gold coin from my pocket and hold it up by way of explanation. "If not, I suppose I'll have to make other arrangements..."

Zyzzyx
2014-04-10, 09:19 PM
Rolling his eyes heavenward and shaking his head with a slight smile, Igi-Kur continues floating up the stairs on his couch.

Furniture, no furniture; it doesn't matter to me. All I need is a quiet space. Who are the owners, by the way? Have they owned this place for very long?

Glancing back toward the parlor, he scans for signs of the dwarf-priest, whose name he has yet to learn.

Chuckles101
2014-04-17, 08:55 AM
The bellhops begin to lead you upstairs to the nicer rooms. Upon hearing your complaints about only wanting a smaller room, he sighs, and begins to shuffle his feet a bit more. Still carrying any items you requested him to carry, and making sure that the couch will fit through the stairwell and hallway, you can sense that he's forlorned by such a possible cheapskate with magnificent robes and extravagance. As you all walk up the stairs, Igi-Kur and the helper converse about the town. He seems polite enough, hoping to salvage a tip.
"You must be foreigners... The Large Inn has been in the Large family for generations. They always strive to keep standards as high as possible. They are a very generous family, making contributions to many organizations throughout the city."

"Here we are. Room 314. It is our most.... modest... room available." He opens the double doors and motions for you to go inside.

The room has hardwood floors, a queen size bed with sheets / blankets / pillows, a comfortable chair and workdesk, as well as a small adjoining room (with a door) with a few chamber pots and a pipe.

The man is startled by your mention of "foreign currency" and begins to look at it with awe. "I have never seen such markings. With your permission, may we appraise this coin to prove its worth?"

Phoenix211
2014-04-17, 05:45 PM
I nod to the bellhop. "Fair enough. Here..." I slip the gold coin back into my coin pouch and dig a little deeper to fish out a silver one. I doubt it will come to gold anyway. I hand the silver coin to the bellhop. "If you're going to appraise something, might as well appraise the silver. Don't worry, it's solid. The Ossian Borderlanders are good people."

I look around and take in the room. While it's not quite the bare-bones space I was hoping for, I begrudgingly admit to myself that a little bit of comfort would be nice after all I've been through today. It's been nothing but hectic since I woke up in this place. And at an inn this fancy, I'm not entirely surprised that it is the least comfortable room they own. But it does seem odd that this appears to be the only inn in town. What kind of city doesn't have cheaper and seedier inns around every street corner?

"So how many coins of that size would you expect it to cost to rent this room for just an hour?" I ask the bellhop. "I tend not to carry that much coinage around on my person."

Chuckles101
2014-04-17, 06:18 PM
You notice the bellhop staring at the gold coin and wince softly as you replace it with its silver partner.

"Rent the room for an hour? We are not the type of inn that offers those services... but... I imagine for a friend of his lordship..." He motions to Igi-Kur, "...I'm sure we could allow the room for one hour for one or two of your silver pieces, depending on our appraisal, of course."

He motions to get Igi-Kur's attention.
"Will you be staying the entire night sir?"

Zyzzyx
2014-04-18, 09:41 AM
Igi-Kur tosses 2 gold pieces to the porter. Keep the change.

Without another word, he settles into his couch, retrieves his spellbook and begins to prepare his spells.

Phoenix211
2014-04-21, 09:00 PM
"Alright, here's another one then. In fact, take three just to be safe." I fish out two more silver coins and hand them to the man. "If your appraisal finds a problem with them, we'll work something out. Otherwise, just keep them; no need to bother me about it. In fact, best not to bother me at all, thanks."

Chuckles101
2014-04-25, 07:33 AM
"Thank you, sir!" The porter begins to leave after assuring that the both of you are settled in, luggage and all. Right before he shuts the door...

"Oh right! I forgot to mention. There will be a concert tonight (oh, in just a few minutes) by THE Ronald Martin being held in O'Leary's Tavern. Two drink minimum." He motions to Igi-Kur. "Your complimentary paper will arrive in the morning." He leaves the two of you in peace.

Zyzzyx
2014-04-25, 02:24 PM
Igi-Kur says nothing, and continues preparing his spells.

After an hour goes by and he has finished preparing his spells, he eventually gets up and goes downstairs to look for the dwarf cleric whose name he has probably forgotten.

Phoenix211
2014-04-28, 07:40 PM
Once the porter has finally gone and shut the door, I sigh and sink wearily into the chair by the desk. It's been a long and frustrating day, I know my wounds have still not fully healed, and I can feel my fatigue beginning to catch up to me. As soon as I'm back in Hadrian, I can finally rest, I tell myself. Carefully removing my items one by one from my bag, I make sure nothing is missing and that all of the magic still works. I pay particular attention to hefting my swords to make sure they are still functional. Once I'm satisfied that everything is in proper shape, I return all but the Praat Shard back to the bag.

"Er...I don't mean to bother you," I say to Igi-Kur, "but I'm about to try teleporting home. If it works, I expect I won't see you again. It was nice to meet you, and I wish you luck on your own journey." With that, I close my eyes and begin concentrating on the Shard.

Just as a friendly reminder, it takes one full minute (10 rounds) of concentration to activate a Praat Shard.

FrankieTheKneeM
2014-04-28, 11:21 PM
Wearily, I make my way down to the Inn, and press open the door, and nod to the doorman.

Hello. I've need of a room for the night - possibly longer. I would also pay for the services of a valet to help me out of my armor...

Catching sight of the beautiful entry way, I brighten mid sentence.

Woah-ho-ho! This is a finer place than I've been in many nights. How simply marvelous. I'll admit, I haven't done this myself since my days with the church proper, but usually there's someone in charge when you walk in the door...

Spying the pair at the bench, I drop my backpack and fish for some of my platinum coins, grabbing [roll0] and tossing them out onto the bench before me.

A room, please! Whatever that will get me for the night, and tomorrow can be tomorrow's business.

Zyzzyx
2014-04-29, 04:20 PM
Good luck, says Igi-Kur, his eyes still on his spellbooks.

If it doesn't work, I'll be going downstairs to wait for the dwarf as soon as I'm done here.

With that, he continues preparing his spells, and heads downstairs (on foot) once he finishes.

Chuckles101
2014-04-30, 01:32 PM
Thanatos
After a minute of concentraion, you don't seem whisked away to home. For some reason, it didn't work.
Given that you created these magic items, would your character have firsthand knowledge of how they're created? As in, would he know that it's based on the spell 'Word of Recall' which specifically doesn't work across planes? If he does know that, would he then attribute it not working due to a possible teleportation restriction, or would he deduce he's on a different plane? (player knowledge vs character knowledge)

2nd question: Does he realize he's on a different plane anyways?

Igi-Kur
You continue to concentrate on your spells. It's likely that you will notice Thanatos being a little peeved as his attempt to teleport doesn't work. Just as a reminder, make sure you know which spells you are preparing, as opposed to which spells you know.
Kubrik enters the inn approximately 10 minutes after you are both shown your rooms

Kubrik
The bellhops stare at you in astonishment
"YES SIR!!", they exclaim. They immediately begin to help you with whatever bags or luggage you may be carrying.

The receptionists grab your platinum coins off the counter.
"Please take the gentleman and his belongings to the Swarley suite"

The concierge (who popped out from behind the door) leads you to the top floor (5th floor). Halfway up the stairs to that last floor, he presses a button. You see a horizontal plane of magic appear, shimmer, and vanish. Once everyone is upstairs, he presses the button again, with the process repeating. (Think of an invisible force field activating and deactivating)

The concierge opens the French doors to lead you inside. This room is extremely spacious with a wonderful view of the city. The room occupies the entire top floor (think Penthouse apartment). It includes a fireplace, an odd pool of water which seems to be bubbling and steaming, bar, running water with shower and full bath, small plates of cheese and fruit, every single accommodation you can think of.

The concierge also points you towards a mirror on the wall. "Tonight, we also have a special guest playing in the tavern downstairs. Ronald Martin, the guitarist. Whenever you would like, you may press this (on the mirror), and you will be able to see the concert from the comforts of your room." He hands you a small yellow button. "Please press this button in order enter and leave the floor."

After showing you around, "My name is Gerald. Here is my personal caller." He hands you a small blue button. "Is there anything else I can help you with?" (If not he will exit and give you your privacy)

Phoenix211
2014-04-30, 06:02 PM
I've got to assume by 21st level he would have heard the details of how they work from someone somewhere (he traveled with a Sorcerer in his adventuring party for years, for example). So I figure on some level he is aware that the Shards don't work across planes. That said, he doesn't currently suspect he's on another plane, and "on another plane" is not going to be the first reason he would think of for it not to be working.

After a minute, I open my eyes again. Nope, still in the same room. Nothing happened. I give it a second try, then a third just to be sure. But the results are undeniable.

"It's not working."

The guards did express surprise when I suggested I had been teleported here, I think to myself. Maybe there really is some kind of shielding magic blocking teleportation in and out of the city. In that case, there's only one thing for me to do -- find the nearest city gate and head outside the walls to try again. But first, a short rest wouldn't be amiss. I paid for the room for an hour, after all; no sense in wasting it. I close my eyes and try to relax my weary muscles for a while.

When the tattooed mage leaves the room after an hour has passed, I grab my belongings and follow him downstairs. I stop at the desk to speak to the people there. "Excuse me, um, has the appraisal of my coinage been concluded? I am preparing to leave and I wouldn't want any misunderstandings. Also, can you by any chance direct me towards the nearest city gate? Thank you."

Zyzzyx
2014-04-30, 06:12 PM
Spells prepared:

Detect Magic (2x)
Touch of Fatigue
Grease
Expeditious Retreat
Bullet Shield (2x)
Eldritch Conduit
Blindness/Deafness
Call the Void
Howling Agony
Reckless Infatuation
Sepia Snake Sigil
Ice Storm (2x)
Volcanic Storm (2x)
Fear (4x)
Dominate Person (2x)
Telepathic Link (2x)
Geas-Quest (2x)
Dispel Magic - Greater
True Seeing
Hold Person - Mass (2x)
Insanity (2x)
Demand
Frightful Aspect
Greater Shout (2x)
Overwhelming Presence
Time Stop
Mage's Disjunction
Dominate Monster

FrankieTheKneeM
2014-05-01, 08:28 AM
I take the buttons and survey the room.

Oh, Gerald, this is a fine suite. The only thing I need now is someone to help me doff this rather uncomfortable armor, and, perhaps... do you offer a cleaning service? It's more than a little banged up and could use a shine.

When the bellhops are finished with my things, I toss them each a gold piece.

Thank you, gentlemen.

Zyzzyx
2014-05-11, 08:14 PM
Igi-Kur heads downstairs.

Stopping at the front desk, he asks the attendants:

I'm waiting for someone; a dwarvish gentleman who I believe is a clergyman. If he's arrived, can you let him know that I'll be waiting for him in the tavern?

Heading into the tavern, Igi-Kur looks for an empty table (preferably one close to a wall) to take in a meal and wait for his scheduled meeting.

Chuckles101
2014-05-20, 10:21 AM
Kubrik
Gerald pulls you over to a small closet near what looks to be a separate washroom. He helps you out of your armor, and places it inside the closet. Looking into the small closet, it appears that there are hangers, as well as sturdy wooden stubs to hang heavier pieces of clothing. He puts your armor on those stubs. "Anything else that needs cleaning, sir?" If so, he places it inside the small closet, closes the door and presses a green button located in the center of the closet door. 12 seconds later, he opens the door. Your armor is shined, professionally cleaned, as well as any other items that were placed in the closet.
After any questions you have, Gerald leaves. You prepare your spells (roughly an hour), do anything else that you would like, and head downstairs. Please also put in your post a separate spoiler of your prepared spells.
As you finish preparing your spells, you hear a small chime. Your blue button begins to glow. The chime repeats as the button still glows.
You hear Gerald's voice in your head. "Sir, I have just received word at the front desk of another guest who is asking for you, sir. He appears to be a nobleman of some stature, arriving on a floating chaise. He wishes to inform you that he will be in the tavern enjoying a meal, awaiting your company. Do you wish for me to notify him of your arrival?"

Igi-Kur
You finish preparing your spells and head downstairs. You give the attendant the message and go into the tavern. The place is very nice, with some room and a hostess at the door. After asking for a specific table, you are seated at a table near the far corner of the tavern, opposite the corner where the renowned Ronald Martin has just finished playing a song. Thunderous applause fills the air. A lady comes by to take your order. In a strange accent, "Welcome to O'Leary's. Can I interest ya'll in a Strawberry Fizz, Dwarven Shock-Ale, or a glass of Fraznia Elven Wine?" (Go to the spoiler below)

Thanatos
"Of course, sir. Your coinage is comparable to our own here. I am surprised, though. I've never seen these markings before." He trails off while looking at the piece that you've given him. "The nearest city gate? Of course sir. However, if you plan on traveling out of town, I'm afraid the gate will be closed for the night, as it is quite late. May I suggest you stay the night, grab a meal, listen to our concert?" He motions toward the door of O'Leary's Tavern (which Igi-Kur just walked through).

For everyone's reference, it is night-time. (Approximately 8:30)

Applause fills the air as Ronald Martin, accomplished guitarist, finishes playing a song. He takes a drink from a mug. "Thank you. Thank you. My next song is one you all know well. One of my instrumental pieces." At this, there are cheers from the back of the room. He shouts,

"Ahh, they think they know it. Care to take a guess?"
"Silver Stream?" (Some patrons cheer more for this)
"Good guess" - and he begins the song as more patrons cheer and applaud.

As the song begins, you feel that you have heard it somewhere before, but you're not quite sure where. It brings you back to your younger self, past memories long since forgotten.
Hear it here.
Silver Stream - the song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQj6LxJTEQY)

Zyzzyx
2014-05-20, 05:00 PM
Igi-Kur settles in. Fraznia, please, he says with a smile loudly enough so that the waitress can hear him over the roar of the crowd. And do you have any specials tonight?

He looks at the performer up on stage. Based on what he sees, he wonders how much the person's equipment is probably worth.

Zyzzyx
2014-05-20, 05:02 PM
Appraise: [roll0]

Phoenix211
2014-05-21, 07:26 PM
I can feel my blood beginning to boil again at yet another delay. My hands tremble violently as I clench them into fists at my side -- partly from anger, and partly from withdrawal. "Is this city a prison?! You can't expect to keep me h--"

My tirade is suddenly cut off by a massive, unexpected yawn. I look around a bit sheepishly. It has gotten late, and although my wounds no longer hurt, I have been a bit fatigued ever since I woke up in that temple. I don't particularly relish having to fight my way through the city gates at less than full strength...or on an empty stomach, I admit, as it growls on cue. I had been putting off supper and sleep until I made it back to Ossia, due to the urgency of my need to know the fate of the lich and my friends. But I suppose there isn't much I can do for them this late at night even if I did make it back to Ossia. Aiding them would have to wait until morning, whether I spend the night here or there.

I sigh. "Er...on second thought, perhaps a hot meal and a soft bed would do me some good. May I reserve a room for the night? Nothing too fancy, mind you -- the same as the room I just came from will do just fine. But first, some food at this tavern of yours."

I enter the tavern with the almost Elvish-sounding name. Spying Igi-Kur in the back corner -- one of the precious few people I know in this gods-forsaken town -- I make my way over to his table. "May I join you?" I ask pleasantly. "Turns out the city gates are closed at night, so I guess I'll be spending the night here and heading out first thing in the morning."

The musician begins a peculiar tune on his string instrument and my ears perk up. I'm surprised to find the song sounds so familiar. Something from my childhood, an old ballad from southern Tyrrhen perhaps? But no, the music doesn't sound particularly Tyrrhenian. If this kingdom really doesn't have Praat Stones like the guards seemed to indicate, then how could people in both places play the same song? As I remain transfixed trying to puzzle out the song's mystery, I come to realize that my hands are completely still. Despite my exhaustion and despite my hunger, my hands have stopped shaking entirely for the first time since I woke up here. I stare in wonderment at the musician. Where had I heard it before?

Zyzzyx
2014-05-22, 06:17 PM
Feel free; I'm just waiting for that dwarf priest we met earlier. I can't remember his name.

Igi-Kur glances around, then looks intently at the barbarian: So given that your shard doesn't seem to be functioning...and that it doesn't sound like we're from anywhere near each other...do you think something might be interfering with it from here? My guess is there's some link between the people we were fighting on our own before we got here...or possibly their staves. I think the best way to get back home is to figure out what's going on here. What do you think?

Igi-Kur gestures toward the stage. Also, I don't know why, but that song sounded awfully familiar to me. Have you ever heard it, by chance?

Phoenix211
2014-05-23, 12:17 PM
I sink into a chair by Igi-Kur.

"The guards seemed surprised when we told them we were teleported here. They said it 'wasn't possible,' didn't they? I assume they meant that there was an enchantment of some sort on the city that blocks teleportation." I gesture to Igi-Kur. "But you're the spellcaster here, right? I only know about all this magic stuff second-hand. Does that sort of 'anti-teleportation field' make sense? If not, what else do you think could have caused this?"

I nod. "In any case, it seems clear we're all connected. We all had similar experiences, and we all got teleported to the same place. You, me, the dwarf cleric -- Kubrik, I think he said his name was? -- and those gnomes we met back at that temple. Nine hells, probably even that other dwarf who was unconscious, now that I think about it."

"I'm going to try my Praat Shard again from outside the city first thing in the morning. You and Kubrik are perfectly welcome to join me. I can teleport the two of you back with me when I go; perhaps you will have better luck finding your way home from Hadrian Keep?"

When he says he recognizes the song, I whip my head around to look at him in surprise. "You recognize it too?! It sounds like something I heard in my childhood...but you and I didn't grow up in the same area, right? Where did you say you were from again?"

FrankieTheKneeM
2014-05-23, 08:08 PM
Actually, I've repurposed the "Spells and Powers" section of my character sheet to show which spells I've prepared - I'll be marking them off as I cast them. But here's the list:

Lvl 0 Create Water
Lvl 0 Detect Magic
Lvl 0 Read Magic
Lvl 0 Spark
Lvl 1 Burning Disarm
Lvl 1 Cure Light Wounds x3
Lvl 1 Divine Favor
Lvl 1 Entropic shield
Lvl 1 Remove Sickness
Lvl 2 Cure Moderate Wounds x3
Lvl 2 Desecrate(M)
Lvl 2 Lesser Restoration
Lvl 2 Spiritual Weapon
Lvl 2 Undetectable Alignment
Lvl 3 Blessing of the Mole
Lvl 3 Blood Biography
Lvl 3 Cure Serious Wounds x3
Lvl 3 Fractions of Heal and Harm
Lvl 3 Invisibility Purge
Lvl 4 Control Summoned Creature
Lvl 4 Cure Critical Wounds x3
Lvl 4 Death Ward
Lvl 4 Repel Vermin
Lvl 5 Empowered Cure Serious Wounds x3
Lvl 5 Greater Forbid Action
Lvl 5 Slay Living
Lvl 5 True Seeing (M)
Lvl 6 Blade Barrier
Lvl 6 Empowered Cure Critical Wounds x3
Lvl 6 Heal
Lvl 6 Mass Bear's Endurance
Lvl 7 Greater Restoration
Lvl 7 Jolting Portent
Lvl 7 Quickened Cure Serious Wounds x3
Lvl 7 Regenerate
Lvl 8 Euphoric Tranqiulity
Lvl 8 Frightful Aspect
Lvl 8 Greater Spell Immunity
Lvl 8 Quickened Cure Critical Wounds x2
Lvl 9 Empowered Mass Cure Serious Wounds x2
Lvl 9 Energy Drain
Lvl 9 Mass Heal x2
D1 (K) Comprehend Languages
D2 (K) Detect Thoughts
D3 (M) Dispel Magic
D4 (K) Divination
D5 (M) Spell Resistance
D6 (M) AntiMagic Field
D7 (K) Legend Lore
D8 (M) Protection from Spells
D9 (M) Mage's Disjunction

Waking from my meditation to Gerald's call, I speak out loud, assuming the message will carry down.

Yes Gerald. Please let him know I'll be down to see him momentarily.

I rise, and don my cleric's vestments. I leave my Cloak and armor in the room, but keep my headband, ring, amulet, belt and boots. Being sure to bring both my buttons and my bag of coin. Stopping at the mirror on my way out, I notice that I'm looking severely worn and wounded.

Oh, that simply won't do.

I cast Empowered Cure Critical wounds on myself, (healing [roll0] x 1.5 = 63 points of health) and regard myself again in the mirror.

Better, I guess. It'll have to do.

I cast Undetectable Alignment on myself, press my yellow button, and head downstairs, remembering to press it again and close up my room once I'm halfway down the stairs.

Entering the bar, I look around for my robed aquaintance, or Gerald - whomever I see first...

Perception: [roll1]

Not sure how 1d20+32 comes up 18... making this edit in the hope it'll change... Okay, I guess not.
Oh, there seems to be a bug in all the rolling logic - which means (4d8+20) from above is 42 x1.5 = 63, and that perception roll is 40.

Zyzzyx
2014-05-23, 08:10 PM
Does Igi-Kur know any of the areas Thanatos is talking about?

Knowledge: Geography
[roll0]

Igi-Kur smiles. I didn't say, actually...but it was nowhere near where you did, it sounds like. At the risk of going down a side quest...er...rabbit hole, this place is either some kind of coincidence magnet or based on that song I'm starting to think were were brought here. And personally, I don't like being broughtanywhere.

Hearing the dwarf's name finally, Igi-Kur's eyes widen and he nods. But of course...Kubrik...THAT was his name. Sorry; that has been bothering me since I got here. He said he was going to meet me here but never mentioned his name.

Chuckles101
2014-05-25, 06:04 AM
The waitress writes down your order, rattles off a list of specials that sound somewhat spurious. "Slammin' Sliders, Stodgy Stew, Cheery Chicken" And many other alliterative titles. She points towards a menu propped up on the table, and motions for you to look at it.

Igi-Kur
You have never heard of the places that Thanatos is looking at.

Also, Ronald Martin's guitar looks extremely valuable. It seems to be a masterwork instrument of extremely fine quality. Worth at least 350 gp or so.

Kubrik
You see the wizard and his barbarian friend sitting at a table in the far corner opposite the musician.

Zyzzyx
2014-05-25, 06:59 PM
I'll try the stew, Igi-Kur replies.

Turning back to the barbarian, Igi-Kur asks: So who is this Wilrose Gentleharp person you were speaking of earlier? Not to pry, but if you need some help, shall we say, "addressing a situation," perhaps my spells could be of some value to you.

FrankieTheKneeM
2014-05-26, 01:25 AM
Spotting them in the corner, I amble over to them, listening to the ambient music as I go. As I arrive, I smile broadly and greet them

Gentlemen! What luck have we, eh? To be stranded so far from home and still find such wonderful accommodations! And you! Thanatos, was it? Glad to see you've changed your mind about storming off like that. Going to give that shard of yours a go in the morning, then? Well, first, a bit of pleasant frivolity. The serious matters will be easier to stomach after a meal, a pint or two, and a nights rest. Speaking of a pint...

I look around for the waitstaff, flagging one down and calling them over.

Please, a tankard of whatever fine, wheaty, dwarven drink you've got milling about in the back. And a Menu, if you've got one.

Turning back to the wizard, I suddenly realize I've not introduced myself to him.

Oh, dear - where are my manners? I seem to have forgotten to Introduce myself. I am... Kubrik... a Cleric in the church of Boccob. I come from Teseras, and I am ****ing glad to be out of that armor for a bit.

Zyzzyx
2014-05-27, 01:01 PM
Ah, nice to meet you, Reverend Kubrik. The stew here is apparently...stodgy, although the chicken sounds cheerful. Thanatos here just mentioned to me that he's from somewhere called Hadrian Keep. Ever heard of it?

Do I know where the Dwarf's homeland is? Knowledge: Planes 1d20+10

Zyzzyx
2014-05-27, 01:05 PM
Botched roll from earlier:
[roll0]

Phoenix211
2014-05-27, 08:38 PM
I mull over the menu. "Stew for me too, please," I tell the waitress. The name of the tavern sounded Elvish, and the elves of northern Gallia made a fine stew. They also made a fine wine, or so I recall, but I was never really into wine myself. Wine was more the sort of thing my parents drank. "And I assume you serve some kind of ale here? Something stout would be nice."

I greet the dwarven cleric as he arrives. "Yes, I have begrudgingly resigned myself to the late hour. I will set off again first thing in the morning. As I was just telling Igi-Kur here, I will be using my Shard to teleport back to Hadrian Keep, and I would be happy to bring you both with me if you think you would have an easier time getting home from there." At Kubrik's introduction, I nod. "Ah, Boccob! Then you must be Gallian? I have no idea where Teseras is, but you should have no trouble at all finding a Shard back there from Hadrian then. Igi-Kur, on the other hand, has never been to Ossia, and claims to be from far away." I address the tatooed spellcaster. "I wasn't born in Ossia, actually; I'm from Tyrrhen, in northern Adaria. I was raised in a temple of Apollo. Are you from near there perhaps? I've been all over the world in my travels, even beyond the Amory Ocean and across the Sea of Storms. I'm sure I've been to your home country at least once."

I reply to Igi-Kur's inquiry. "Wil...rose? I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about. Wait...perhaps you're thinking of something Kubrik said earlier?" I look at Kubrik. "Didn't you mention someone by that name right after we woke up back in that strange temple?"

"Myself, I need to get back home to rescue my companions from the Lich Lord of Malvados. I had tracked the lich's tomb to a location in the Ossian Highlands, just north of Hadrian Keep. That's what I was doing there. But in battle with the lich, he used the Imprisonment spell on my adventuring companions, trapping them beneath the earth. I recognized it as it had become a signature spell of the lich's. It's also a personal fear of mine because of my..." I trail off and cough uncomfortably. "Well, anyway, my sorcerer companion once said that only magic called 'Freedom' could free a victim of the Imprisonment spell, but he was trapped himself before he was able to cast it. Then the lich's staff was sundered on my next attack... and I woke up here." I look back and forth between my new companions gravely. "If either one of you is capable of casting the 'Freedom' spell, you could be of great assistance to me. I would greatly appreciate it if you would accompany me back to Ossia and help me free my friends before you go on your separate ways."

Zyzzyx
2014-05-28, 01:41 PM
Hearing his name spoken aloud, Igi-Kur looks concernedly at Thanatos.

One important request, please, both of you. I should have mentioned this back in the healing house, but please call me 'Enki,' around here. I prefer to use an assumed name in places where I'm unfamiliar...especially around public authorities, primarily for the reason Thanatos here just mentioned regarding his companions' predicament. In fact, I'd recommend that you both do the same, for that reason. You never know who could use details about your life to your disadvantage. In my family, we learned this as children; it was a doctrine we called "Stranger Danger." In general, apart from present company of course, if someone asks you about where you come from or details about your life, I recommend that you lie, and lie well.

Igi-Kur nods thoughtfully. Sadly, I do know the 'Imprisonment' spell you speak of; it's a particularly foul spell and I'm not surprised that a Lich would cast it. But to tell you the truth, I never learned the 'Freedom' spell myself...not exactly where I specialized in my studies. I suppose I could learn it from somewhere, as back where I come from there are magical libraries the size of this town.

Suddenly hatching upon an idea, Igi-Kur says: On the other hand...there is something that's more along my line of specialty. I couldn't cast it, but I could possibly persuade--or force, if need be--someone else to cast it, or at least teach it to me. You'd have to remember exactly where your companions were imprisoned. Before we start planning on going back to Ossia, however, I'd recommend we see whether it's even possible. If your shard hasn't worked, there may be some kind of anti-magic field in place, or possibly we're on a completely different plane from what we're used to. In fact, given that I've never heard of anyplace you've mentioned, this even seems likely.

Turning to Kubrik: Were you the one who had a problem with Wilrose Gentleharp? I've never heard of him, but it's possible I mistook Thanatos's problem for yours. It sounds like you have reason to try to head for home as well?

Phoenix211
2014-05-28, 04:39 PM
I shake my head. "Never been very good at lying. But I'll do my best to respect your wishes...Enki." I turn to the dwarf cleric. "And what should we call you, then?"

Multiple levels of aliases...WE HAVE TO GO DEEPER

My eyes go wide with realization and I gasp. "Another plane! Of course, why didn't I think of that! Perhaps you are all from different planes and were teleported here! Or..." It suddenly dawns on me the implications of just how alien this city's culture is to me. "Or perhaps it is I who have been teleported to a different plane instead? Or all of us have?" I grimace at the thought. "This is most distressing. I seem to remember Draco -- that's the sorcerer I adventured with -- saying something about Praat Shards not functioning across planar boundaries. 'Word of Recall,' I think he called it? In any case, if that's true, then I may be stuck in this awful town for much longer than I thought..."

"So you are both from different planes then? Now I wish I had paid more attention to my planar studies growing up... As for the plane I come from, different cultures all have their own names for it, but in the Common tongue it is called Materia. Does that really not sound familiar to either of you?" I gesture irritably in the direction of the musician. "And then how in the nine hells have we both heard the same gods damned song?!"

Zyzzyx
2014-05-29, 04:31 PM
Igi-Kur frowns. I have no idea about the song...I'd ask the musician up there where he learned it, but I wonder whether I should draw any attention to us. In any event it looks like all these people have heard it too, judging from the crowd's reaction earlier. In any event, it shows that there's at least a connection between our worlds. If we can find the source of that connection, we may be able to find how we got here--if not why--and hopefully our ways home. What do you all think?

How likely does Igi-Kur actually think it is that we're on a different plane from where we started, as opposed to being on a different world but still in the same plane?

Knowledge: Planes [roll0]

FrankieTheKneeM
2014-05-30, 01:23 AM
I smile at Thanatos.

You may continue to call me Kubrik - it is a good name. Is there some other name by which you'd like to be known?

At the mention of Wilros Gentleharp, the color drains from my cheeks, and my stop focusing on anything in reality.

Yes, you could say I've had trouble with Wilros Gentleharp. In my homeland of Teseras, he promised the poor a better life if they would rise up and slaughter the rich. My family was among the richest, and therefore among the first to go. I escaped the uprising by being away. When it happened, I joined the army, intent on fighting my way home and rescuing whomever I could. But the poor were many, and delayed us long enough that by the time we got to Belhaven, there was nothing left to save. Now he continues his rampage, finding one bogey man after another and blaming the problems of his pawns on them in series, just hoping to stay at the head of his army forever. I've made a solemn promise to kill him. And I fear with each passing day that I will die in pursuit of that promise.

I snap out of it when the conversation moves on.

I know very little about the planes, though I must admit the Idea intrigues me. In regard to the song - I feel I recognize it too - but we may not actually know it. He may simply be a bard casting a spell.

Zyzzyx
2014-05-30, 01:19 PM
Igi-Kur listens intently to Kubrik's story. Upon hearing Kubrik's suggestion regarding the song, Igi-Kur laughs and smacks his forehead audibly. Yes, of COURSE...I wonder why I didn't think of that before. Bard spells were never my forte, either...

Igi-Kur pauses. Well, in any event, I don't particularly think it would be worthwhile trying to get any information out of the performer or the audience here; why don't we meet up tomorrow morning and venture beyond the city to see whether that shard works? If not, I suggest that we see what we can find out from whatever libraries or other sources of knowledge there are around here about what we're doing here and how we can all leave.

Phoenix211
2014-05-30, 03:32 PM
"Oh, a spell...I suppose I didn't think of that."

I shrug. "My name's just Thanatos. If you two want to call me something else then go right ahead. Just let me know what it is and I'll answer to it. I've never really had reason to hide my name before; the lich always knew I was coming after him, and I liked it that way. I hope it terrified him every time he heard my name spoken."

I nod at Igi-Kur's plan. "I agree. We'll meet here in the tavern first thing in the morning and see if we can't make it out of the city then. I am not getting held up again by the blustering thugs that pass for law enforcement around here." I growl again, softly, and quickly suppress it.

I settle in to watch the remainder of the entertainment and eat my meal.

Zyzzyx
2014-06-01, 12:52 PM
Igi-Kur nods. Well, as long as we're here and that musician is playing, just to be sure...

Zyzzyx
2014-06-01, 12:54 PM
Igi-Kur casts Time Stop.

The spell lasts [roll0] rounds. While time is stopped, Igi-Kur casts Detect Magic and True Seeing on himself. He then looks carefully for the remaining 2 rounds to discern any magical auras in the area, paying particular attention to the musician.

Also: can Igi-Kur still see into the ethereal plane? If so, what does he see?

Chuckles101
2014-06-04, 08:02 PM
As you all begin to converse, the waitress takes your orders, and brings over the appropriate drinks and food. The dwarves ale here is not half bad, much better than other dwarves ales that have been served to you by men. The song seems to linger in your heads as the musician finishes. He begins his next song, which he introduces as his last of the night. It is another instrumental piece that seems lively, almost as if it is four songs strung together. You continue your conversations through the song.

Kubrik
The musician is not casting a spell or any other spell-like effect. It seems he is just extremely skilled with his use of the guitar.

Enki
First, to your question about planes. Is it common on your home world / plane that there are other planets that give life? This is the only way that I would think that he would guess that he would be on another planet in the same plane, as opposed to a different plane entirely.

In either case, you are unsure (even with the nat 20). However, your inclination is very strong that you have crossed different planes. Your knowledge of what happens when a staff is broken with a retributive strike is EXTREMELY similar to what happened in your case, and what sounds like happened to everyone else. You know that staves broken in this way cause a rift to open to another plane.

As to your detecting and such.

You notice that there are magic auras at the bar, on the musician's instrument and stage, on your friends sitting at the table next to you, as well as some of the common folk in the tavern with you. Concentrating on the musician reveals that the stage will give some type of amplifier spell, causing the music to be louder than it would normally be. You also focus on the guitar itself, revealing the guitar to be of extremely fine make, even enchanted with the property that causes the music to sound much more sweet and be more moving than normal.

You could further hypothesize that this guitar is a small but influential reason that the musician is extremely popular. Even without the magical instrument, Ronald Martin would be superior in his training as a musician.

The musician continues to play his instrumental piece as you continue conversing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITt_yblSNrs

He plays along to the cheers of the crowd, finishes one very fast solo / riff and goes into another song (at 1:48 in the video).

At once, all three of you feel you have heard this song before. You all turn your heads towards the musician with a quizzical look, and then to each other, instantly knowing that all three of you have heard this song before. Searching back into your mind and thinking, you all remember exactly when you heard this song.
You remember hearing this song immediately after being knocked out by your nemesis's use of the broken staff.

Zyzzyx
2014-06-04, 08:57 PM
Recovering from his momentary stunned expression, a half-smile, half-smirk crosses Igi-Kur's face.Well...that just about settles it.

Igi-Kur casts Demand. He sends a message to Mr. Martin, strongly but very politely suggesting that immediately after his next song he take a short break and come speak with us, particularly about exactly where he learned that song.

Concentration check (INT modifier +10, Caster Level +21):

EDIT: Not doing this since it takes 10 minutes. NVM

[roll0]

Phoenix211
2014-06-08, 08:17 AM
"It does, doesn't it?"

I don't want to interrupt the musician's performance, but I make sure to keep an eye on him so I can intercept him when he is finished or tries to leave. I would very much like to have a conversation with this man.

FrankieTheKneeM
2014-06-18, 09:05 PM
It occurs to me, gentlemen, that if we all came here the same way, we may all know this song from from that same experience. It occurs to me yet further that if this "Ronald Martin" is the source of this song, it might be valueable for us to speak to him about it. I have procured the suite on the top floor of our inn - perhaps we should ask him to retire there with us for some after dinner drinks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIaIdv79Xz4 (The first 22 seconds, anyway)

Chuckles101
2014-06-26, 02:29 PM
Ronald finishes this last song to much applause. He thanks everyone, and reminds them to "tip their waitresses." You surmise it may be an odd colloquialism. He packs his guitar in his case (also very ornate), and begins to go out into the crowd. He is signing autographs, shaking hands, receiving hugs, and also receiving much attention from a few lovely ladies that are in the crowd. After walking around and snaking his way through many tables, a glass of wine is brought to him by the bartender. He thanks the bartender and continues to talk to the attendees.

From what you can overhear (over the normal hustle 'n' bustle of a very busy bar), it appears that he likes to be addressed first when coming over to a table.

He is one table away talking about his concert tour all over the continent. This is apparently his very first stop on his national tour. After sharing a tale of one of his earlier tours, he begins to head over to your table.

Phoenix211
2014-06-26, 06:28 PM
I get up and stand in front of Ronald. "Mr. Martin!" I say to him. "I have something I need to discuss with you. I believe your music is somehow related to teleporting me across planes. Same thing for my companions here. Do you know anything about this? Do you recognize us?"

Chuckles101
2014-06-27, 09:31 AM
Ronald is stopped short at your table to the abrupt barbarian standing up and greeting himself. He offers to shake your hand as you star the discussion. However, his face becomes more puzzled as you continue to speak, his eyes narrowing, questioning, becoming more bewildered as you continue.

Diplomacy [roll0] (was 38)

"First off, I have no idea who you guys are. Although, by your garb, I can see that all of you are worthy of my respect in some regard. Teleportation across planes? What are you talking about? What do you mean by across a plane? I mean, one of my friends is working with air travel. But I'm afraid I do not understand your meaning."

He appears to be extremely courteous and well-mannered, speaking with such a fluidity as to take you by surprise. This is the type of courtesy reserved for royalty.

Zyzzyx
2014-06-27, 12:56 PM
Igi-Kur looks up and smiles at Mr. Martin. I apologize; you see, we are rather new here. It occurred to us that we all heard your song around the same time in different places before we arrived here, as none of us traveled here together. We would, however, be pleased to offer you some refreshment if you have the time. We would prefer if you accompanied us to the suite upstairs that this gentleman, Mr. Kubrik here, has reserved.

In particular, we would like to know how that song you just performed came about? And what you could tell us about this area in general, as far as your general knowledge and experience goes. As travelers, it interests us to know about lands where we...wait...did you say air travel? Haha! How interesting! Actually I would love to hear about that as well. This place is full of wonderful surprises.

Chuckles101
2014-08-15, 10:45 AM
Mr. Martin continues to talk with you:

"But of course you've heard my songs from all over the continent! I would love to accompany you to your suite. However, my security attache has prohibited such actions for me. I will take that drink here, though. Trust me, I shall return."

He moves on to other tables, schmoozing them, signing autographs and the like. After about 10 minutes, he returns to your table with a rather large squarish bottle containing a brown liquid, along with 4 miniature glasses. His guard takes the bottle, waves a hand across the length of it, then replaces it, nodding his head to Ronald.

Ronald sits down at the table with you, beginning to separate out the glasses. "Drink with me!" He proclaims, breaking the wax seal on the bottle, uncorking it, and pouring the liquid into each of the small glasses. He offers one to each of you, and downs his in one gulp.

You know from normal customs and diplomacy that it is extremely rude to not take an offered drink, especially from someone as cordial as this man.

"So, my friend is working with trying to make a mechanical flying machine. It's the weirdest thing! He's got a couple working models, but nothing too extravagant. However, it would be amazing if we could do certain things without magic. He is a great thinker, accomplishing so much without magic in his life. It's absolutely wonderful how he does things."

Zyzzyx
2014-08-16, 02:41 PM
Igi-Kur smiles politely and takes a sip.

Any noticeable effects?

So...would you mind telling us about this kingdom or the lands surrounding it? We are all new here, and we wish to get to know the area. Since you are a touring musician, I'm sure you've been to many of the cities and towns here.

Chuckles101
2014-08-16, 07:31 PM
The alcohol burns with a smokiness as it goes down.

This continent is wonderful. In a hushed whisper. This city? Not as much with their restrictions on everything. It does allow my friend certain assurances about outside magic not being in his workshop, so that's good. In any case, this is the capital.

He fills his glass, and every glass at the table. He stands and raises his glass. To King Logan Chestnut the Honorable! All the patrons in the bar raise their glasses, and shout out "TO KING LOGAN CHESTNUT THE HONORABLE!!" and down the rest of all of their drinks in praise.

I never tire of that. It is the absolute best tool to get people drinking... and fools for a game of pakaaz.

Ronald Martin... and for that matter, everyone else in the room, will notice if you do not drink to the health of their king.

You notice no other effects other than that of a strong alcoholic drink.

Zyzzyx
2014-08-17, 03:44 PM
To the king! Igi-Kur says loudly, toasting ostentatiously with his glass.

Then he adds more quietly to Mr. Martin: And to...I'm sorry, I don't actually know...I'd like to toast the rest of the royal family as well as His Majesty, but we've only arrived so soon that we haven't yet had the opportunity to learn their names, I'm sorry to say. Do you know their names?

Phoenix211
2014-08-21, 04:59 PM
About a half-second out of step with everyone else, I vaguely wave my glass in towards the center of the room, mumble something non-committal, and then down the whole glass. I have no particular love for the king after what I've seen today, but there's no need to cause a scene here, especially not when I need information from Mr. Martin.

The drink is a bit stronger than I usually prefer -- a good ale will get you drunk just as well as fancy-shmancy alcohol, and is cheaper to boot -- reminiscent of some of the hearty liquors Ossia is known for. But honestly I can drink just about anything.

Chuckles101
2014-12-03, 08:16 PM
After everyone downs their drink, Ronald fills everyone's glass again.

You don't know their... the rest of the royal family? Wow... you.... aren't from around here at all. The King has son, but the mother died long ago, before he became King.

He gets a puzzled look on his face. You mean to tell me that you're not aware of how the King rose to power? That's almost as bad as not knowing how to play pakaaz.

He downs another glass before looking at your faces. You guys... don't know how to play, do you? He raises his glass and shouts out to everyone TO THE NATIONAL SPORT OF KEI!!! All the patrons follow suit. TO PAKAAZ!! All drown their drinks.

The bartender gives Ronald a wink and a nod, presumably as thanks for getting the entire bar to take two drinks after the concert.

If you decide to take another drink with everyone
I'm noting how many drinks everyone has had.
Igi-Kur - 2
Kubrik - 2
Thanatos - 2

Phoenix211
2014-12-04, 11:04 AM
I roll my eyes. "They drink to sports here, too?" I grumble, probably louder than I should have, but I take the drink with everybody else anyway. Secretly, I am curious about what sports they play on this plane -- not that I'm willing to hang around this city long enough to find out.

"Like my friend said," I tell Mr. Martin, "we just arrived here today, and under unusual circumstances. We don't know much of anything about the culture here, not its sports or -- more importantly -- its music. We haven't heard of you or your songs before tonight, and yet all of us recognize the song you played. I don't care about the origin story of the king or anything like that, it's more important that we understand the origin of that song!"

Perception (+9): [roll0] (I automake it at +9)
I find the bartender's behavior suspicious, but don't know what to make of it. It does remind me that I need to keep a closer eye on how much I'm drinking from here on out, however. I need answers from this man, damn it, and I need to not be falling-down drunk to get them! I think my fortitude is high enough that I can probably handle another drink or two before I start becoming impaired, but I need to be careful.

Zyzzyx
2014-12-04, 06:47 PM
Smiling as ever, Igi-Kur continues:

Well, I do want to hear how His Majesty rose to power...but yes, I'm also curious about how you wrote that song. Why not tell us both? We've got plenty of time and plenty to drink.

Perception:
[roll0]

Igi-Kur keeps the drink he has, but does not drink to Parchesi or whatever this backwater's national sport is.

Chuckles101
2014-12-06, 10:13 PM
Ronald Martin is taken aback by your anger, looking at you before holding the bottle up quizzically. It's possible he thinks you've had too much already, but only after two drinks?

Woah... let's not get ahead of ourselves. To be honest.... He leans in a bit closer I didn't write the song. It's actually embedded in the instrument itself, at least for that particular song. Twas a gift from the King, actually. He raises his glass. TO THE KING!!!

The resounding chorus TO THE KING!!! Everyone downs their drink.

I was his minstrel throughout the Twenty-three years war. He was the great General of the Cheshire side in the war, and through his tactics, he won, and was anointed King about.... ten..... fifteen years ago?
Now, Pakaaz is an amazing game of wits, pitting man against man, it's actually very simple. He begins to pull out three decks of cards, one deck with red backs, and two slightly smaller decks (one is ornate with gold and black backs, the other fairly worn with blue backs.)

Phoenix211
2014-12-10, 09:46 PM
The revelation about the song being embedded in the instrument gives me pause, and I am momentarily stunned while I process it. I'm too distracted to remember to be careful with my alcohol, so I absent-mindedly drink along with everyone else when Mr. Martin toasts the king, but I don't echo the toast. I'm too wrapped up in my own thoughts. If this musician didn't even compose the song, then he isn't really the person we need to be talking to, is he? Mr. Martin said the instrument was a gift from the king...and if the song is part of the instrument...then that means...

Before I have a chance to express my thought process to my companions, Ronald Martin has already changed the subject to Pakaaz. When he begins pulling out decks of cards, though, I visibly frown. "Wait, this is Pakaaz?" I ask. "I thought you said it was a sport? Where I come from, sports pit man against man in mock combat or feats of strength, not...little pieces of cardboard." My distaste is palpable, and I turn to the other two.

"I don't mean to be rude, but I feel like we're wasting our time here. This man clearly doesn't know any more than we do." I turn back to Ronald Martin and give him a polite, if awkward, bow. "Thank you for your kindness and the drinks, but, uh, I'm sure we've taken up enough of your time already. I would like to get traveling first thing in the morning, so I think I'll take my leave now." I glance back at Igi-Kur and Kubrik. "How about the two of you?"

Zyzzyx
2014-12-11, 09:38 PM
Igi-Kur smiles and nods politely.

Sadly, I have to agree. As much as I'd love to learn the rules--and I do hope you can tell me about them some time--it has been a long journey and I think I'd better get some rest. But, since you've been kind enough to indulge us in conversation...

Igi-Kur stands up to leave, and casually tosses 5 gold pieces on the table in front of Mr. Martin.

Have a few drinks on Enki!

Chuckles101
2015-01-07, 11:48 AM
Ronald seems almost in shock by your sudden change of attitude. He sits there, stunned, as 5 gold pieces are dropped onto the table in front of him. He looks at them, and then at the three of you... or rather your backs as you have hustled out of the inn. He shrugs, pockets the gold pieces, and goes around to the other tables starting them up in conversation and games of Pakaaz (whatever the hell that game is...)

I'm assuming you all would like to go up to your rooms now to rest? If there is anything you would like to get done before you go to bed, please say so. Otherwise, just mention you get ready for bed, fall asleep, etc.

Also, please say whose room you are going to.

Phoenix211
2015-01-08, 05:38 PM
Once we're out of the dining area, I furtively look around to make sure we are out of earshot and drop my voice low. "Clearly we were talking to the wrong man. But did you hear what he said about his instrument?" I look at my companions meaningfully. "I think the three of us have a lot to discuss." I turn to the cleric. "Kubrik, do you think your suite is private? If so, maybe we should talk about things in more detail up there?"

FrankieTheKneeM
2015-01-08, 09:23 PM
It is... unfortunate that he would not join us. But you're right, Thanatos, we do have much to discuss. We can retire upstairs. There is some amount of enchantment on these buttons I have been given, and there is at least one device that allows me to spy down here. We shall have to check to see if it can be reversed. The room is lousy with magic though - it will take some time to see what we can see.

I turn to Enki, cheeks beginning to flush with the wine I've casually drunk along with everyone else.

But I have no doubt that you can help me with that!

I produce the buttons, and press the Blue one.

Gerald, I'll be entertaining some guests in my suite tonight. I'd appreciate it if you could meet us there to discuss the measures present to prevent our being disturbed. Thank you.

Looking back up, I address Thanatos and Enki.

Come with me, gentlemen. Let us conspire!

Zyzzyx
2015-01-09, 05:49 PM

Can Igi-Kur tell what kind of a device Kubrik is using?

Igi-Kur / "Enki" frowns and replies: Sadly, as much as I would love to sleep off the memory of this miserable little dunghill of a town, I SUPPOSE I could come up and discuss things.

On the way past the desk, Igi-Kur asks the clerk for a pen and a decent-sized scrap of paper.

Chuckles101
2015-01-13, 08:20 PM
You all hear a haughty voice come from the device that Kubrik has presented, "Right away, sir."

This device is using an odd sort of Clairaudience spell. Apparently, when the button is pressed, it allows someone else to hear what is going on, notably, whatever Kubrik was just saying.

A clerk at the front desk extends a quill towards you. "You will find an endless supply of ink and paper in the study in the Swarley suite."

If you all decide to go to Kubrik's room...

Gerald is waiting at the top of the stairs right outside the Swarley suite. He motions to Kubrik, "How may I be of service, sir?"

Zyzzyx
2015-01-16, 01:39 PM
Entering the suite past Gerald, Igi-Kur retrieves a small bottle from his robe.

Taking a pen and a piece of paper, he carefully writes a message on a piece of paper using the ink from his bottle.

The text is written on the bottom half of the paper, and reads as follows:

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am in dire need of your help. It has been over 4 years since the death of my parents, and although I was the only beneficiary named in their will, the trustee, my wicked uncle has refused to transfer the trust property over to me. Our family estate, Blackacre, is located in Kei, but my wicked uncle Sharrukinu :mitd: has refused to turn over the property because he resents my father for siding with His Majesty King Logan during the Twenty-Three Year's War. I know very little of Kei inheritance law, but I am sure that you will be able to find an estate attorney for me there who can help. Help me, Sir or Madam; you're my only hope.

Sincerely,
Princess Kobe Masahiko

(The smiley is a Sepia Snake Sigil; the ink in the bottle is superior invisible ink, triggered only by sebaceous oils from Igi-Kur's hair.)

EDIT: (After looking through his spell component pouch and failing to find the expensive amber to actually cast the spell, Igi-Kur pouts and sulks for an appropriate period of time while overhearing the conversation between the Holy Dwarf and his lackey. Hmph. He then decides to continue writing anyway, because...why not.)

Once he is done, he retrieves a bottle of ink from the suite and writes another message on the paper.

This text is written on the top half of the paper and reads:

I need your help in running an errand somewhere in town. Meet me in Room 314 in half an hour; there is lots--and I mean lots--of money in it for you if you are willing to assist me.

-Enki

P.S. Come alone. It's a matter requiring confidentiality and the person I represent will pay you very well for your time and effort.

Once he has finished writing, he folds up the piece of paper and puts it away, along with the bottle he had originally used.

FrankieTheKneeM
2015-01-17, 07:01 PM
Gerald, you are a quick and gracious host. Thank you for coming up so late.

As we enter the room, I gesture around to Enki and Thanatos, indicating that they should make themselves comfortable.

I'm sure you can understand, a man of my stature can never be too careful about being the target of theives. Now, of course I can trust you, Gerald, but of course hospitality of the level you provide requires a great deal of staff, and at least some magic. I was hoping you could explain to me what devices in this room might be used by someone less professional than yourself - or god forbid, some unsavory character outside your organization - to gain some amount of access to this lovely suite - even if that access is only the ability to watch or listen on the conversations I'll be having with my guests.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

I'd like series of Sense Motive checks against everything he tells me, as well as one to make sure he hasn't left anything out. Let me know how many you need me to make.