PDA

View Full Version : Best PrC for Mounted Archer

Snig
2013-06-30, 08:10 PM
What in your opinions would be the best PrC for a mounted archer

- Deepwood Sniper (seems great but not sure if my riding dog would be stealthy enough to take advantage?)

- Order of the Bow Initiate (looks solid)

- Peerless Archer (Legendary Arrows seems kinda wonky)

Piggy Knowles
2013-06-30, 08:17 PM
Order of the Bow Initiate is a trap, if you're using the properly updated version that appears in Complete Warrior. Its main source of damage requires a standard action to use, in addition to being subject to all the standard drawbacks of precision damage. That means that you'll almost always do better damage with a full attack than with OoBI. It's especially useless for a mounted archer, whose primary advantage is the ability to move and still make a full attack.

Peerless Archer is just about the best source of bonus damage for an archer outside of Swift Hunter or Energy Bow, so that's always a good choice. Deepwood Sniper is solid as well (it's my second favorite prestige class for archers, after Chameleon), but it doesn't offer anything particularly fantastic for a mounted archer versus any other class. Still, it's not going to hurt you if you've got spare levels.

Consider taking three levels in Wild Plains Outrider. That will, among other things, allow your mount to use your ranks in Hide and Move Silently. Also, remember that your mount gains feats as it gains hit die, so pick up Darkstalker for both you and your mount if you want to go the stealthy route.

Flickerdart
2013-06-30, 08:17 PM
What's your game plan, though? What are you specifically hoping to accomplish with mounted archery that regular archery or regular riding can't do?

Snig
2013-06-30, 10:05 PM
What's your game plan, though? What are you specifically hoping to accomplish with mounted archery that regular archery or regular riding can't do?

Well right now i'm still trying to figure that out, so far its just an idea. I would like a goblin wolf rider, who excels at using a bow, and has a wolf mount that can also dish out the hurt.

I'm pretty sure I will be taking mostly ranger and trading my animal companion for distracting shot ACF (pretty sure that's what it's called). I'll pick up a wild cohort as it's more powerful then a ranger animal companion and allows me to take classes that do not need to advance my companion.

Like I said i'm still trying to flesh out the concept. Anything that will make me a better archer I suppose. Sniper or Volly archer are both appealing. Whatever works best with a mount.

Flickerdart
2013-06-30, 10:11 PM
So...you want to ride a wolf into combat, but then be an archer? That doesn't really make sense. Either send your wolf in and shoot stuff while it stops things from getting to you, or ride it while wielding melee weapons.

Slipperychicken
2013-06-30, 11:58 PM
So...you want to ride a wolf into combat, but then be an archer? That doesn't really make sense. Either send your wolf in and shoot stuff while it stops things from getting to you, or ride it while wielding melee weapons.

Using the mount to stay out of melee would be a good idea; it allows him to stay mobile and out of reach, which mitigates the main disadvantages of ranged combat (immobile, vulnerable when threatened). Perhaps he could keep a Lance handy in case he needs to charge something?

A mount would allow him to be great at ranged harassment (fast and flying doubly so): Pop out from behind a corner (or other source of Total Cover), snap off a few shots, then duck back behind the corner all in the same round. Most melee monsters (even high CR ones) are virtually unable to close the distance, allowing the mounted archer to fire with impunity. Even if they have a ranged backup weapon to retaliate with, they're fighting at a disadvantage, and on the archer's terms.

Snig
2013-07-01, 07:59 AM

Well I suppose I could rely on my mount mainly as mobility? I'm sure I will eventually find myself in melee combat in which case I can take advantage of my mounts attacks.

So perhaps a main focus on ranged combat with the ability to enter melee if needed. Like previously mentioned I could keep a lance handy and use feats like ride by attack and spirited charge.

I do want to be a powerful archer with good sniping abilities, the deepwood snipers increased crit multiplier combined with the ranger spell that automatically threatens a critical seems like some good synergy.

I also don't want my mounts abilities and actions go to waste. If you could help me find the best balance between archery and combat with my mount, or some good synergy with a PrC, I could use the help.

P.S I've been posting a lot of questions of the forums lately, and everyone has been super helpful. I appreciate all the people who've taken the time to help me out.

kulosle
2013-07-01, 08:40 AM
Yeah I always liked the mounted archer, but they do, as you might be noticing have little support. All the mounted classes assume you'll be charging. And all the archery classes assume you'll be stealthly.

Piggy Knowles
2013-07-01, 05:36 PM
I've always wanted to play a stealthy mounted muckdweller or jermlaine archer, with two levels in Wild Plains Outrider, riding an eagle. I might put the build together one of these days for funsies.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-07-02, 02:19 AM
My favorite mounted archery PrC is the Halfling Outrider. Gives a bunch of cool melee *and* ranged mounted attack boons, and enables the "uber mount" by full progressing paladin mount and ranger/druid animal companion, when combined w/ Devoted Tracker feat, iirc.

Peerless Archer and Deepwood Sniper (as well as Cragtop Archer, which you did not mention) are undoubtedly better archer PrC's in general, though.

Talderas
2013-07-02, 09:21 AM
Peerless Archer is just about the best source of bonus damage for an archer outside of Swift Hunter or Energy Bow, so that's always a good choice.

Unfortunately, Swift Hunter is useless for a mounted archer.

Piggy Knowles
2013-07-02, 09:30 AM

Yeah, I was just speaking about archers in general in the quoted line.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-07-02, 10:04 AM
A level of Shiba Protector along with Zen Archery and a 2 level Swordsage dip.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-07-02, 06:01 PM

Not every game uses the godawful errata.

Also, there is a dragon mag class variant called "Light Cavalry," iirc, which makes your skirmish ONLY work when mounted. For DMs who do use the errata.