View Full Version : Sarone's Skull and Shackles (M2): Wormwood Mutiny IC

Sarone
2013-06-30, 09:47 PM
A gentle shaking on the shoulders wakes Varya, Qairy, and Cho-Tak. As the three sit up, they notice a male gnome in a foppish, purple pirate clothing, a female gnome in white clothing, a human rugged human male, and a male half elf. A quick glance at what gear you have indicate that all weapons and armor is missing, including Varya's spell book.

Accepting the money from Olan, the gnome smiles as he puts the coin in his pocket, then looks at Kalinna. "Oh, the ship," the gnome says, looking at each person. "You all are on the Wormwood. Unfortunately, it's too late to get off."

"By the way, my name is Conchobhar Turlach Shortstone." The gnome adds, taking his hat off and doing a bow.

No sooner does the gnome bow than the footsteps echo into the hold, a man lifting a bright lamp in his left hand, a scourge in the other. Spreading out from behind him and going to the sides are a number of other sailors, mostly human though you see a dwarf and a half-orc. The expressions on their faces and the weapons in hand, clubs and saps, indicate they are not going to be friendly with you in the least.

"Still abed with the sun over the yardarm," the man says, making it known that the question didn't require an answer. "On your feet, ye filthy swabs!"

Looking to one of the formerly sleeping crew, the man takes his scourge and strakes at one of the posts, leaving a series of gouges in the wood. "Get up on deck and report for duty before Cap’n Harrigan flays your flesh into sausage skins and has Fishguts fry ye up for breakfast!"

Looking to his followers, the man goes next to the door, leaning against it with his right arm over his chest, his left arm outstretched, the lantern hanging there as though he was a gatekeeper of a crypt.

(OOC For All: If you wish, make a perception and an Intelligence Check.)

dupersudi
2013-06-30, 10:17 PM
Savod sighs wearily, "This again. He muses, well I learned last time, maybe this time it will be more to my liking, and if not, well endure it as before." He then walks swiftly through the door.

Rolls

Perception
[roll0]
Intelligence
[roll1]

and OOC: The italics are his thoughts.

SanguinePenguin
2013-06-30, 10:47 PM
Varya awakens to the sound of unfamiliar voices in an unfamiliar place. Even before the gnome speaks, the soft creak of strained wood and a slight slow lurching from side to side betray the fact that she is on a boat. She assesses her surroundings quickly. Hands? Unbound. Legs? Unbound. Slight movements clue her into her situation. She checks for items with her eyes blades and bow? Missing.

Her last memory floods back to her. The deal never went beyond pleasantries before things stopped making sense - nausea, slurred words, a confused cry, then came the floor. She reaches for her belt pouch, Spellbook? Missing. Journal? Still here. She feels the back of her head as she sits up. She winces, bruised.

Varya surveys those around her as she reaches into her boot, Dagger? Missing. Thorough... She finally begins to listen to the words of the man with the scourge. She sighs audibly at last, press-ganged. "To the deck, then," she mutters under her breath as she rises to her feet.

Perception: [roll0]
Intelligence: [roll1]

shugyosha
2013-07-01, 12:08 AM
Qairy

"Oh my head..." she moans as she gets up. It is a lesson she repeated learns: Too much alcohol brings on a nasty headache. She hears the words spoken but is still too groggy to understand much. She shuffles along with the others.

[roll0] perception
[roll1] int check

Barstro
2013-07-01, 12:25 AM
Olan

Olan rises from the individual he had just assisted in waking up. While he has been awake for upwards of five minutes, unfortunately, too much activity occurred before he could really speak with any of the other people who appear to share his new status, or lack thereof, in this ship. About all he has time for is to give the purple-clad gnome a coin and a few words. Before he is able to address the room’s other occupants to either find out if anyone had any idea about how they all got there, or to explain the most likely suspicious-looking action of his giving money to the gnome, a most garish of men entered the room.

Steeling his courage, Olan does his best to square his shoulders, lift his head, and get ready for whatever this new predicament might bring. This is a far cry from how I expected to begin my next voyage out to sea. He takes stock of the people and objects around him. But I will try to make the best of the situation. Either this ship or the next, I will learn my heritage. Now that the room was the site of some activity, and the open door provided some new light, Olan took in more of his surroundings and the people therein. While he had been able to make a cursory check of the room for the rest of his belongings before, he was unable to discover any of his items, or even a place where they might have been. Watching the others as they wake and arise, he takes a little comfort in the fact that they too make obvious motions of checking about their persons for there belongings and coming up short.

Olan takes a good look at all the people in the room and tries to remember what he has ever heard about such a ship.

Perception Check
[roll0] (why is perception not a class skill for evyerone? Did someone actually decide that members of some particular class never learned to open their eyes?)

Intelligence Check
[roll1]

Olan (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=595038)
Male True Neutral Half-Elf Summoner - Evolutionist, Level 1, Init +6, HP 8/8, Speed 30
AC 12, Touch 12, Flat-footed 10, Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +5, Base Attack Bonus 0
Light Crossbow (20) +2 (1d8, 19-20 x2)
Dagger - Melee -2 (1d4-2, 19-20x2)
Dagger - Thrown 2 (1d4-2, 19-20 x2)
(+2 Dex)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 19
Condition None
--------------------------------------------
SLA Summon Monster 9/9

Cantrips
Mending, Message, Open, Prestidigitation

1st LVL Spells Unused 2/2
Enlarge Person, Mage Armor

Special Equipment, Buffs, or Debuffs:
None

KHAIT
HP 5/5 (No Temporary)
AC 16 TOUCH AC 14 FLAT FOOT 13
Fort +2, Refl +3, Will +2
Init +3 Perception +12

None

North_Ranger
2013-07-01, 10:37 AM
Cho-Tak

Waking up with a throbbing headache and a taste in his mouth that was either rotgut or cat vomit, the black-feathered birdman shook his head and got up on his wobbly feet. Spitting out a lunk of spittle and a quorking curse, he grabbed his worn tricorne from the ground and looked around as he hurried along with the other press-ganged up on the deck.

Nice going there, idiot, he cursed himself as he quickly checked himself for his tools and weapons - none of which were present. One night of letting your guard down, and you end up press-ganged. This was not part of the damn plan...

Perception [roll0]
Intelligence check [roll1]

Also, Sarone... I didn't hear back from you. About that PM I sent ya? :smallwink:

Yanisa
2013-07-02, 12:50 PM
Kalinna rolls her eyes and now knows why this dude kidnapped her, and seemingly, the others here. Because no one wants to willingly here. She decided to just stay silent, follow orders for now and wait for a moment to do something. She wasn't too eager to return, but anything seemed better then here.
So she nods and follows the rest to the deck.

Perception: [roll0]
Intelligence: [roll1]

Sarone
2013-07-04, 12:42 PM
dupersudi, SanguinePenguin, shugyosha, Barstro, North_Ranger

Despite the nausea from drinks and other questionable item you ingested or not, you sense an aftertaste of oily nutmeg on your tongue. Please make a Knowledge (Nature) or Alchemy check.

Beat DC 15 Alchemy or DC 10 Knowledge (Nature)

You identify the after taste as oil of taggit. The various foods and drinks were probably used to deliver the oil. It is also commonly used to knockout victims and if often used by pressgangs and other scoundrels.

dupersudi, SanguinePenguin, shugyosha, North_Ranger, Yanisa

Despite the fog of slumber, you remember spotting the man with the scourge the other night, going around and taking notice of you.

You make your way up the stairs to the level above, you are greeted with the sight of another hold. Immediately in front of you and towards the stern side are a number of barrels, as well as a few siege engines with grates letting in sunlight. Three sailors, a female half orc in leathers, a fat human male with a blood stained apron, and a human female with a peg leg as well, her face in a perpetual scowl, are arrayed around the stairs, clearly acting as a sort of barrier to ensure the new crew make it up top.

As you go around, a hulking man, his body covered in tar and feathers with shells at his feet, sitting on a crate. Before you start up the stairs, he jumps up, hands reaching out to Varya, only to halt as the shackles around his waist and wrists a taut. He lets out a feral scream, arching his back.

Intimidate [roll0]

As you reach the next level, a female human in long robes and a human male wearing a simple craftsman's tools stand around the top of the stairs, the man pointing towards outside and indicates you should shield your eyes. A quick glance indicates that while it isn't a single occupancy room, it is indeed reserved for the officers of the ship.

A cool sea breeze goes over the ship, as the cries of gulls greet your ears. As you look around, you realize that you are out at sea, with the day burning into midmorning. Looking out past the stern, land is becoming an ochre haze, one that is quickly becoming a memory.

As you spread out from the officer quarters, you realize there are more crew here, some working as riggers, others as swabs, though all take a moment to see the new recruits. From the stern, two more sailors are on it, though from their composure as well attire indicates they are officers.

Before you can get more of a look, the man with the scourge appears, grimacing at the new crew. "For those of you who are not familliar," the man says as he steps off to the side, crossing his arms, "let me introduce myself: my name is Master Scourge. I am the boatswain, master-at-arms, and disciplinarian of the Wormwood."

Slowly, Master Scourge walks around, looking at each of the new recruits. "For those who become swabs, I will be in charge of you," he says, stopping at one of the sailors, a human male with a blue bandanna, before turning and places his hand on his hips. "1st rule: punishment will be dealt with, swiftly and harshly," Master Scourge says, throwing an attempt at a grin at the thought. "Now then, move out."

It doesn't take long for the group to make it across the deck of the ship, Master Scourge leading them with his helpers around him.

The Ship

The Wormwood is a three-masted sailing ship, 100 feet from stem to stern and 30 feet wide. There are multiple decks and in addition to the mainmast coming up from the main deck, two more masts, one coming up out of the foredeck (you exited the holds and officer quarters from this part) and the other coming up out of the poop deck.

As you get closer to rear of the ship, or 'poop deck', you noticed that the man standing is a tall and heavily muscular Vudranni man, his beard bound with gold rings and an eyepatch over his left eye. A permenant scowl is on his face, though whether it is from the weather, the crew, or something else, you don't know immediately. Once you are within earshot, he speaks out, eyeing each person as he speaks.

"Glad you could join at last," the man says, before smirking at Master Scourge. "Welcome to the Wormwood! My thanks for 'volunteering' to join my crew. I'm Barnabas Harrigan. That's Captain Barnabas Harrigan to you, not that you'll ever need to address me. I have only one rule - don't speak to me. I like talk, but I don't like your talk. Follow that rule, among others, and we'll all get along fine."

Taking a minute to make sure his point is has been received. "Another thing; even with you lot, we're still short handed, and I aim to keep what crew I have. There'll be a keelhaulin' for anyone caught killin' anyone." Giving a hard stare, especially to Savod and Varya, among others, before turning to the man leaning against the rail. "Mr. Plugg! If you'd be so kind as to make pirates out of these landlubbers, it'll save me having to put them in the sweatbox for a year and a day before I make pies out of 'em." With that said, Captain Harrigan turns and heads to the stern of the ship.

The other man, leaning against the rail, is the larger man's opposite; shorter, thinner, with his most of his hair gone except for a ponytail, and wearing a blue overcoat. As he stands up, he adjusts his coat, before starting to to walk back and forht on the poop deck.

"Alright, scum," Mr. Plugg says, leering down at the group, his hands behind him, "I don't care what did before today. It doesn't matter. What matters is right now." Bring his arms to his sides, Mr. Plugg points up at the crows nest on the mainmast. First test is as such: you will climb the rigging to the crow's nest. Do not fail me."

With that, Mr. Plugg nods to Master Scourge, who in turns nods back and smiles at the group. "Don't keep Mr. Plugg waiting."

Rigging Climbing

Each PC needs to roll several climb checks. The distance being climbed is 60 feet. You can either go for a quarter speed climb or try and go faster by going for an accelerated climb (going half speed). There are enough rope that you will be able to keep yourself from falling.

Standard DC is 10; Accelerated Climb puts a -5 to your check (basically DC 15)

At minimum I'll need 4 rolls from each player.

dupersudi
2013-07-04, 01:10 PM
Knowledge Nature Roll, I think I can roll for this untrained because the DC is 10.
[roll]1d20[/roll[\]
Savod remains silent, and moves along with the rest of the pressganged people. When the captain tells them no killing and looks at him, he shrugs in a resigned manner. When he hears what the first test is his eyes shine and stretches his arms, trying to work the kinks out of them. I enjoyed climbing and being in the rigging last time, this should be simple enough. And if I do well enough maybe I won't have to deal with people.

Climb Rolls

I'm going to go for accelerated climb for all rolls(DC 15).
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

North_Ranger
2013-07-04, 04:00 PM
Cho-Tak kept his head down - an easy feat for a tengu - when the officers were speaking. He had originally thought to ingratiate himself to the captain, like he had done in the past two ships. But something told him that Captain Barnabas Harrigan wasn't the kind of captain to put much stock in sailors' superstitions - nor would he take kindly to Cho-Tak offering his services as a jinx eater.

Hells, the man was scarier than a pissed-off kraken in his own right!

The rigging test, however, made the tengu quork in delight. "Stand back, monkeys, an' let a bird show yous how to fly", he chuckled in his beak and then rushed at the rigging. Leaping at the ropes with hands and taloned feet splayed like a hunting raptor, he caught onto the ropes and started climbing. With prehensile talons and no boots, he was sure to leave these hairless apes staring at his tail feathers as he ran up the rigging.

Knowledge (Nature) [roll0]

And for the rigging race... Cho-Tak has the Sure Grasp feat, which means he can roll climbing checks twice and take the better result, so... here goes, trying to beat that DC 15:

1st roll:
[roll1]
[roll2]

2nd roll:
[roll3]
[roll4]

3rd roll:
[roll5]
[roll6]

4th roll:
[roll7]
[roll8]

shugyosha
2013-07-04, 05:39 PM
Qairy

She looked at the fat man with the scourge with distain. He was on her list. When the captain spoke with his aires he made her list as well. But for right now she'd have to play their game.

The rigging was something she wasn't familiar with, but she knew how to climb.

climb normal rate
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

SanguinePenguin
2013-07-04, 07:19 PM
Several times on her way to the poop deck, Varya spits to try to cleanse the nutmeg taste from her mouth.
Know (nature): [roll0]
When the tarred and feathered man lunges at her, she yelps and instinctively grasps for her blade. That instant when her hand clasped at only air shook her more than the creature's posturing. Still, when the chains snap taught, her nerves sooth. She musters a scowl before heading up the stairs.

She listens to the speeches with a bored, listless attention. Scourge. He drugged me I'll bet. Wouldn't mind seeing him on the end of my cutlass... Barnabus. The Captain. Don't get caught killing. I'll be sure to remember that.

Plugg commands her to climb. She mutters, "climb I can do," as she steps up to the rigging.

Climb (accelerated): [roll1]
Climb (accelerated): [roll2]
Climb (accelerated): [roll3]
Climb (accelerated): [roll4]

Climb (accelerated): [roll5]
Climb (accelerated): [roll6]
Climb (accelerated): [roll7]
Climb (accelerated): [roll8]

Barstro
2013-07-05, 06:59 AM
Knowledge(Nature)[roll0]

Climb checks (Rolling fifteen. Olan will climb at normal speed
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]

Yanisa
2013-07-05, 12:38 PM
Kalinna rolled her eyes, again, and decided again she was outnumbered and was better off just doing what they said. But climbing? With her little legs and stubby arms? No way that's a great idea... She slowly prepares to climb up as carefully as the angry staring would allow.

Let's see... I got 20 feet, going at quarter of my speed speed, makes it 5! feet per round or 12(!!!) succeeds to pass.
Odd of succeeding are 45%, on generally that means roughly 26 rolls(!!!!!)... I am going for the thirty + ten more back up rolls...

Rolls 1-5

1 [roll0]
2 [roll1]
3 [roll2]
4 [roll3]
5 [roll4]

Rolls 6-10

6 [roll5]
7 [roll6]
8 [roll7]
9 [roll8]
10 [roll9]

Rolls 11-15

11 [roll10]
12 [roll11]
13 [roll12]
14 [roll13]
15 [roll14]

Rolls 16-20

16 [roll15]
17 [roll16]
18 [roll17]
19 [roll18]
20 [roll19]

Rolls 21-25

21 [roll20]
22 [roll21]
23 [roll22]
24 [roll23]
25 [roll24]

Rolls 26-30

26 [roll25]
27 [roll26]
28 [roll27]
29 [roll28]
30 [roll29]

Backup rolls 31-35

31 [roll30]
32 [roll31]
33 [roll32]
34 [roll33]
35 [roll34]

Backup rolls 36-40

36 [roll35]
37 [roll36]
38 [roll37]
39 [roll38]
40 [roll39]

And the end result seems 25 rolls needed (darn close to that 26 I estimated)

the 12 winning rolls are:
04, 05, 06, 07
08, 11, 13, 14
18, 20, 21, 25

Back up wins:
26, 30, 32, 33
36, 37, 38, 40

Fun fact: 25 rounds of climbing = 150 seconds or two and half minute..,
Thank god for the not falling, or else it was impossible and/or I just died of falling damage.

Barstro
2013-07-07, 04:37 PM
Olan

Olan scrapes his tongue along the roof of his mouth and he joins the rest of mass of populations heading up that stairs of the ship. Now that the taste of sleep is out of his mouth, it has been replaced by… something… else he cannot quite place. This would bother him, were it not for the fact that being shanghaied made an unidentifiable taste seem a little less important.

While everyone in his group of fresh young sailors is introduced to the more seasoned crew, he looks around at the crew and what he must consider nothing other than his competition at being something other than another whipping boy on the ship. Sadly, the first opportunity to set himself above the others is a test of physical strength and balance. Olan thinks through all the companions he has at his call, but cannot figure out how any of them can assist in this task, and rather feels that showing all his dice at this point would be foolish anyway.

Rolls from prior IC and OOC Post. Took 18 rolls for 8 successful.

Sarone
2013-07-13, 12:59 PM
In the time it takes for the first few participants to reach the rigging, bets were being cast on the winners as well as how far each person would go before stopping. As you start the climb, the cheers, catcalls, and jeers erupt from various crew, taking a moment to rest and watch.

With much adulation, and one that drew more than a few scowls and curses, Sovad and Cho-Tak reach the Crows nest first, followed closely by Varya. Looking down you noticed what seems to be most, if not all the crew, standing on the deck or in the rigging.

Unfortunately, as much as those up top were cheered, the ones at the bottom were jeered at for their lack of climbing skills. Whether unable to grasp the next rope up or failing to gain a footing, Kalinna, Qairy, and Olan couldn't get more than half way up, trying to ensure they had a footing as they went.

"If you would be so kind," Mr. Plugg yells up at the three struggling recruits, "you can stop with you failing attempts at trying to climb."

Though it takes a few minutes for the winners to get back down, a quick glance at the bridge indicates Mr. Plugg and Master Scourge chatting and gesturing with each other, while the man with the bloody apron stands off to the side, not quite part of the conversation but not excluded either.

Once all participants are on the deck, Master Scourge indicates to assmble before the bridge. "Alright, seems we have worthwhile recruits here," Mr. Plugg says, smiling at the three who made it to the crows nest. "However, only two will be the new riggers."

Casually, Mr. Plugg points at CHo-Tak and Sovad. "As of now and until I see fit, you two will be working for me as riggers." Nodding to Master Scourge, Mr. Pluggs waits for the two to move off to the side before looking at the rest, his gaze hardening at the those who didn't climb so well.

"As for the rest of you, I pray the following task is simplistic enough for you to handle." Clearing his throat, Mr. Plugg throws a disdainful gaze at the overwieght man in the bloody apron before looking at the recruits. "Unfortunately, the last assistant we had died unexpectedly. The question is; who here can, or at least able, to cook?"

OOC:

Any one (besides dupersudi and North_Ranger) who feels their character can cook can volunteer.

Also, I need each person to roll a Knowledge: Local Check.

Barstro
2013-07-13, 01:35 PM
Olan

As one of only a few Summoners who ever managed to learn Prestidigitation, Olan had a long history of adding decent flavor to his gruel in the orphanage, the grog on the ships he’d ridden, and the grime that he was often served at the “upstanding” bars he would frequent at the docks. It was not a rare occasion that he was asked to help out in the galley by the first-mates who observed that he alone seemed to enjoy whatever mess the ship’s cook had made. Not content to be sitting around doing nothing until the meals were made (and not being allowed to anyway), Olan would often have to spend the time peeling potatoes or doing whatever else was needed, and he also picked up a smattering of culinary skills along the way; never enough to be a cook, but better than anyone else on the ship other than the cook.

I know my way around a galley. he replies to the question. Might not have the best texture, but you should have no serious complaints about the taste.

Knowledge: Local Check

[roll0]

Olan (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=595038)
Male True Neutral Half-Elf Summoner - Evolutionist, Level 1, Init +6, HP 8/8, Speed 30
AC 12, Touch 12, Flat-footed 10, Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +5, Base Attack Bonus 0
Light Crossbow (20) +2 (1d8, 19-20 x2)
Dagger - Melee -2 (1d4-2, 19-20x2)
Dagger - Thrown 2 (1d4-2, 19-20 x2)
(+2 Dex)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 19
Condition None
SLA Summon Monster 9/9

Cantrips
Mending, Message, Open, Prestidigitation

1st LVL Spells Unused 2/2
Enlarge Person, Mage Armor

None

KHAIT
HP 5/5 (No Temporary)
AC 16 TOUCH AC 14 FLAT FOOT 13
Fort +2, Refl +3, Will +2
Init +3 Perception +12

None

dupersudi
2013-07-13, 01:38 PM
As Plugg assigns him his new role Savod nods, "That went about as well as I expected, though I am surprised this one was able to keep up." He walks to the side and then watches the rest of the pressganged crew as Plugg attempts to recruit the new cook. As Cho-Tak moves over to join him he mutters "That was rather impressive." The first words anyone has seen him utter.

Roll
Knowledge local
[roll0]

Yanisa
2013-07-13, 03:23 PM
"Cook? I was navi...!" Kalinna quickly swallowed her words again, realizing why she was quiet in the first place. "I mean I have some experience around inns and bars... Basic stuff, stew, soup, bread and grog." Then she shushed herself quiet... these guys didn't look nice and the last thing she wanted was to get keelhauled because she was talking to much.

Roll:
Knowledge Local: [roll0]

North_Ranger
2013-07-13, 04:05 PM
Cho-Tak

"Right back atcha, monkey", Cho-Tak quorked when the blonde man who had almost beaten him to the crow's nest spoke up. When they had both jumped into the nest at the same time, the belligerent birdman had made a surprised squawk and stared at the man with surprise in his dark eyes. Surprise... and perhaps a hint of admiration.

"Never seen me a monkey that could fly. Ya sure y'ain't got tengu blood?" he added quickly and quietly, a small tug of his facial muscles at the corner of his beak apparently indicating an avian approximation of a smile. He made sure to keep his voice down so as not to catch Plugg's attention. Being a rigger was a decent enough gig, certainly better than swabbing the deck with Scourge and his namesake instrument within striking distance. He had no intention of losing it now.

Local: [roll0]

SanguinePenguin
2013-07-13, 05:57 PM
Varya scowls. She hates losing at any task where she tries to succeed. She begins scheming, her sharp mind concocting a plan for a retroactive victory... Gods Varya, calm down. You've been press-ganged. They both climbed a little faster than you. Did you really want to be a rigger that badly?

Though her disappointment hadn't faded, Varya waves a hand dismissively at Plugg's question, "leave the cooking to others. Not my style."

Know (local): [roll0] - untrained

shugyosha
2013-07-14, 12:41 AM
Quary

Her less than stellar performance irritated her. She climbed back down in silence and ignored the cooking question.