PDA

View Full Version : Need Water Descriptor

oOReikaOo
2013-06-30, 10:12 PM
Have Cold descriptor thanks to snowcasting and gloves of snowballs (really lol)

but I need the water descriptor or air descriptor for stormwrack stormcaster +2 caster level...

Any advice?

The Viscount
2013-06-30, 11:12 PM
Do you need to just be able to cast several water spells, or do you actually want to add the water descriptor? The first is easy enough, as I think many Wu Jen water spells have the water descriptor, IIRC. The second is more difficult, and I don't know how to do that.

oOReikaOo
2013-06-30, 11:30 PM
I need the second :(

Storm Spell Power (Ex): You are truly skilled in the
use of spells that wield the power of the stormy seas. Any
spell you cast that has the air, electricity, sonic, or water
descriptor is cast at +2 caster level.

Venusaur
2013-06-30, 11:38 PM
You can just use energy substitution to give it the [electricity] tag.

oOReikaOo
2013-06-30, 11:41 PM
Cant ... its energy SUBSTITUTION , it would substitute my cold descriptor.. which i need to keep for my other CL increases lol

Fyermind
2013-06-30, 11:53 PM
Energy admixture then, though you'll be investing so much in metamagic reducers to make it viable, you could probably have done something better with your time.

Venusaur
2013-06-30, 11:57 PM
Cant ... its energy SUBSTITUTION , it would substitute my cold descriptor.. which i need to keep for my other CL increases lol

Why not? Just take a fireball, change it to electricity via energy substitution, and then give it the cold descriptor from snowcasting.

oOReikaOo
2013-07-01, 12:25 AM
^ took that advice, ty, doesnt really fit the whole ice mage theme, but w/e it got me the +2 CL lol

Spuddles
2013-07-01, 04:18 AM
Use an electricity or sonic based spell, then apply born of the three thunders, then use energy sub to switch one of those to cold.

It auto-dazes you, so get daze immunity or that Lords of Madness feat that lets you save vs. any daze effect as a move action.

Vaz
2013-07-01, 04:22 AM
I thought Daze prevented you from taking any action, rendering that feat useless? There is an Eberron feat, Mark of the Dauntless, however which grants immunity.

Spuddles
2013-07-01, 04:32 AM
Lords of Madness, p 181

Quick Recovery
It's hard to keep you down for long. You have a talent for shaking off effects that leave others unable to act.
Benefit Whenever you begin your turn stunned or dazed you can make a new saving throw at the original DC of the effect that stunned or dazed youin an attempt to recover. Recovering from being stunned or dazed in this way is a move action. If the effect that caused you to become stunned or dazed did not allow a saving throw, you can recover by succeding on a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 level of originator of the effect + relevant ability modifier, or Cha modifier if there is not an obvious ability linked to the effect).
Normal You are stunned or dazed as long as the effect calls for and do not have an opportunity to recover early.

Vaz
2013-07-01, 04:55 AM
SRD; http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Dazed

The creature is unable to act normally. A dazed creature can take no actions, but has no penalty to AC.

How can it take a move action if it can't take any action at all?

Spuddles
2013-07-01, 05:17 AM
SRD; http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Dazed

How can it take a move action if it can't take any action at all?

The same way a wizard without a fly speed can fly if they use a fly spell?

Der_DWSage
2013-07-01, 05:20 AM
Indeed. Specific (The text of the feat) trumps general, (The text of Daze) and even if it's not RAW, it is 100% RAI to have a feat that lets you make saves against Daze, even if it does use your move action to do so.

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-01, 06:48 AM
In this case, the feat expressly states that you can. The effect is triggered by starting your round stunned or dazed, therefore it makes no sense for stun or daze to prevent the use of the ability.

Now interestingly, this cannot be used to counter the first round of stun or daze for born of three thunders. You can only use this ability if you START your round dazed. If you become dazed during your round, you must wait until your next round to remove the condition.

Vaz
2013-07-01, 07:19 AM
The same way a wizard without a fly speed can fly if they use a fly spell?

Nope. Fly Speed explicitly states that you have a fly speed. The Feat states that as a move action you can attempt to save against the Daze, but does not specifically allow you to take the Move Action despite being dazed.

I do agree with RAW, and would allow it, but if you are dazed, you cannot take a Move Action.

There's no specific trumping a general rule here.

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-01, 07:25 AM
It states that when you start your turn dazed, you can make a save to remove the effect. It then states that doing so uses a move action, but only if it works. Note that it states that "recovering" is a move action, not attempting the save. It only takes an action if it works. This is different that stating that you can spend a move action to do something.

It expressly states that the effect can, and can only, be used when dazed or stunned. Specific overrules general.

Spuddles
2013-07-01, 07:32 AM
It's really not that terribly complicated- attempting the save is a non-action. The only action cost is recovery. Failure to recover uses no actions.

Just like any other ability that violates or expands general rules, it works exactly as it says in the tin.

Vaz
2013-07-01, 07:51 AM
We'll agree to disagree (by RAW; but that does not stop me agreeing with you as per RAI and what I'd allow) then. "Recovering... in this way" is directed to "make a new saving throw at the original DC"; it's a move action.

NevinPL
2013-07-01, 09:07 AM
Locate City Bomb, here we come ;)

As for the question, I don't think it exist in official materials. Lets face it - water isn't even considered element\energy in DnD. Maybe in some Dragons, but I don't remember anything like that.