PDA

View Full Version : Stealth that avoids magical detection

Fyermind
2013-07-01, 01:28 AM
So I want to sneak through places where magical surveillance sweeps are regular. I don't need to be able to avoid things that target me. But I'd like to be able to cast spells and benefit from magic items without worrying about detect magic, arcane sight, or True seeing.

I heard something about materials and spells that resist divination attempts.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-01, 01:37 AM
Hide and move silently checks work wonders for that. Adding any other hiding helper will make it even better, but the core of hide checks is what it takes to make it work.

Psyren
2013-07-01, 01:40 AM
Most detection spells are divinations, so something like Nondetection or Mind Blank can protect not only you, but any spells you're using to hide.

Emperor Tippy
2013-07-01, 02:38 AM
Psychic reformation to pick up Darkstalker, approach on the ethereal plane if possible (lets you bypass Mindsight and Lifesense, use Mindblank to defeat all Divination spells. Use Persistent Superior Invisibility to negate most other things. Be shapechanged into a Shadesteel Golem so that you are unliving and need not breath. Throw up a Selective (set to you) Antimagic Field to stop most other detection methods. Fly the whole way.

That gets you past most things.

Fyermind
2013-07-01, 03:00 AM
The problem isn't me avoiding detection, the problem is the spells allowing me to avoid detection avoiding detection. Sure my mind blank makes me immune to divination, but what stops the continuing effect of the enchantment from showing up.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-01, 03:18 AM
The problem isn't me avoiding detection, the problem is the spells allowing me to avoid detection avoiding detection. Sure my mind blank makes me immune to divination, but what stops the continuing effect of the enchantment from showing up.

Mundane hiding+ darkstalker will do the job just fine if you have mindblank up. That will defeat anything but a good spot check. Buff the crap out of your hide and move silently and you will be fine.

Emperor Tippy
2013-07-01, 03:23 AM

Mind Blank protects you and everything on you (all spells and magic items) from all divination magic. None of it shows up.

NevinPL
2013-07-01, 03:36 AM
Sure my mind blank makes me immune to divination, but what stops the continuing effect of the enchantment from showing up.
The: "Psionics Is Different" option ?

Der_DWSage
2013-07-01, 05:16 AM
As Tippy said-all divinations, including 'Detect X' are rendered moot by Mindblank.

Even if the DM rules that Mindblank doesn't work that way, Misdirection certainly does. Get yourself a small, smooth, perfectly nonmagical rock, and put it outside the place you're robbing. Misdirection from you to rock. All 'Detect X' spells and the like now detect a nonmagical rock. This does explicitly include 'Detect Magic,' so yes, it works.

Psyren
2013-07-01, 06:47 AM

Did you skim my post? It was pretty short.

Most detection spells are divinations, so something like Nondetection or Mind Blank can protect not only you, but any spells you're using to hide.

Phaederkiel
2013-07-01, 08:20 AM
and do not forget the simple mundane disguise. Scrying needs you to know what your victim looks like, so if you concentrate on someone looking entirely different (because he was disguised when he met you) gives you a pretty hefty malus.

Darrin
2013-07-01, 08:31 AM
Helping hand can get around mind blank, since it's an evocation, not divination. However, unless the target is within 100', it takes too long to be immediately useful, and is somewhat klunky even within 100'. The target can ignore or move away from the hand. However, messenger arrow (Ghostwalk Web Enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x= dnd/we/20030607a)) + spell storing/glyph seal + faerie fire = big glowing neon "I'm over here!" sign.

Rabidmuskrat
2013-07-01, 08:34 AM
Get a lead lined cloak. Will probably weigh more than your character to get it thick enough, but there you go.

Prime32
2013-07-01, 09:07 AM
Use the Vecna-blooded template from MM5.

unseenmage
2013-07-01, 09:52 AM
If I remember correctly there's a combination of Epic PrC and feats that turn you into an urban legend. Not only can you not be divinated, most folks don't even really believe you exist anymore.

Cirrylius
2013-07-01, 09:59 AM
Sounds like Void Incarnate.

unseenmage
2013-07-01, 10:08 AM
Sounds like Void Incarnate.

I believe that's exactly what it was. I didn't use it, one of my fellow players did. While I was turning my wizard into a giant arcane bullseye he was disappearing from history altogether. Was a fun game.

Drelua
2013-07-01, 10:32 AM
I believe that's exactly what it was. I didn't use it, one of my fellow players did. While I was turning my wizard into a giant arcane bullseye he was disappearing from history altogether. Was a fun game.

That class can be found here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20030418a), if anyone's interested. I had a lot of fun with that in a level 30 campaign once.