PDA

View Full Version : [B][Pathfinder] Familiar / companion feats[/B]

Sceluvia
2013-07-01, 10:28 AM
There are several feats for an animal companion or familiar. These have prerequisites (like the following)
"Prerequisites: Deliver touch spells ability, familiar."

I have had this discussion with my group, without coming to an agreement. So i turn to this forum of very helpfull people.

As i read the (above mentioned) prerequisites it states: You need the ability to deliver touch spells and you must be a familiar.

But a familiar does not gain any feats as far as i read in the level up table of the familiar, unlike that of the companion which does get feats every few levels.

Did i mis-read or mis-interpret how those familiar feats work / are gained?

Thank you in advance.

CTrees
2013-07-01, 10:37 AM
I suspect that you are misreading this, as I can't recall seeing any feats that are used by familiars, rather than their masters. However, the obvious familiar or companion feats, are all written in manners like, "ability to acquire a familiar" or "familiar class feature" (ex., Evolved Familiar).

Can you give a specific example of a feat which is confusing your group?

Sceluvia
2013-07-01, 10:44 AM
Can you give a specific example of a feat which is confusing your group?

Feats like:
familiar focus: Prereq: Familiar
Critical Conduit: (which i used to the example)
Spell Sponge: Share spell ability, animal companion / familiar

It does not state ability to acquire a familiar.

jaybird
2013-07-01, 11:05 AM
Familiar is a class feature. It's like Prereq: Sneak Attack.

Sceluvia
2013-07-01, 11:12 AM
Familiar is a class feature. It's like Prereq: Sneak Attack.

Ok, so the wizard must take the feat and then the familiar benefit's from it.

Shouldn't those feat then state:
Prereq: Arcane Bond -> Familiar class feature or something like that?

Drachasor
2013-07-01, 11:14 AM
In pathfinder there are some feats deliberately made for familiars to take themselves. If you want a familiar to have it, you have to ask your DM if it is ok to replace the default feat that animal has with one of the familiar feats.

Sceluvia
2013-07-01, 11:24 AM
In pathfinder there are some feats deliberately made for familiars to take themselves. If you want a familiar to have it, you have to ask your DM if it is ok to replace the default feat that animal has with one of the familiar feats.

That would make alot of sense when i read the discription of the feats XD
Thx :smallsmile:

AbsolutGrndZer0
2014-01-10, 07:42 AM
This is also the place where the Witch's "Beast-Bonded" archetype becomes particularly useful, since it allows you to give extra feats to your familiar by letting it have yours.