PDA

View Full Version : Magical Trouble(3.5)

sambouchah
2013-07-01, 11:29 AM
So yesterday was the start of a campaign with some new players in our group and it was very stressful. Mainly because I am the only spellcaster. In the party at current we have; A Drow Rogue(Chaotic Evil isn't helping at all), A Doppelganger using their Racial Progression and myself, A halfling druid without enough spells to keep the others safe. We have three players who may join the group as well, which would be nice IF I could ensure another caster.

But for now here is the basic layout of my druid.

Halfling Druid 2, Hp 19 and an AC of 13. He has a Brixashulty(RotW) companion with 22 hit points. Feats wise I have Endurance and Scribe Scroll. Spells I prepare regularly are Cure Light Wounds and Produce Flame. I usually wind up trading flame for a summon spell. I can only prepare three a day though, so I run out very quickly. Any suggestions on what I can do to help the party of soon to be six out a little more?

Thanks, Sam

Kree West
2013-07-01, 11:31 AM
Spend money on potions or rods of cure light wound. As a multi-campain cleric, trust me, it's worth it.

sambouchah
2013-07-01, 11:35 AM
Spend money on potions or rods of cure light wound. As a multi-campain cleric, trust me, it's worth it.

Unfortunately we aren't making any gold. The DM cursed me with Lycanthropy at first level and since then we've(me and the doppelganger) did our best to un do it. Now that we have we owe a lot of money to a town.

Kree West
2013-07-01, 11:39 AM
Ouch, hmm... Druid is only a secondary healer but the animal companion can help take damage. You have someone CE right? If so use them to 'aquire' some money.

CaladanMoonblad
2013-07-01, 11:46 AM
Hirelings my friend. Hirelings.

At this low of a level, even a level 1 Warrior (avg hp 6-9) can be had for 6 gp per week. Get like, 4 of them, equip them with Tower Shields (30 gp each, +4 AC) and whatever armor they come with (usually Scale +4 AC or Splint +6 AC). Keep them in front, side by side infantry style.

Cheap, effective, and completely within Core rules.

Kree West
2013-07-01, 11:49 AM
Hirelings my friend. Hirelings.

At this low of a level, even a level 1 Warrior (avg hp 6-9) can be had for 6 gp per week. Get like, 4 of them, equip them with Tower Shields (30 gp each, +4 AC) and whatever armor they come with (usually Scale +4 AC or Splint +6 AC). Keep them in front, side by side infantry style.

Cheap, effective, and completely within Core rules.

Great idea but that's still about 144gp first week and then 24 every week after. Not to mention they will probably require rations. While this can work it's a little expensive for some 1rst levels that are in debt.

sambouchah
2013-07-01, 11:49 AM
Ouch, hmm... Druid is only a secondary healer but the animal companion can help take damage. You have someone CE right? If so use them to 'aquire' some money.

That was our thought originally. But the DM saw it fit to warn us that almost everything in the world is infinitely more powerful we are by throwing plenty of high CR encounters at us. We really can't win.

We're being hunted by twin vampires who we ran away from, owe a trip to some mountains to a priest who cured my lycanthropy and owe a mayor a new mansion. It's rather stressful.

And I have talked to the DM about it, he said he'd go a bit easier on us next week.

Edit: I have ranks in Survival, I pretty much supply the group with rations.

Kree West
2013-07-01, 11:53 AM
Wow. I still suggest your CE drow 'aquire' money. Go for the preist as he could help with the vampires.

sambouchah
2013-07-01, 11:56 AM
Wow. I still suggest your CE drow 'aquire' money. Go for the preist as he could help with the vampires.

I was planning on asking him after I acquired the ring he "needs". But if we survive this mountain, what else would he have us do?

Kree West
2013-07-01, 12:01 PM
Your DM is way to hard on you guys. At first level he's throwing vamps at you and making you a werewolf. If it wasn't for the fact that your good I would leave the town.

sambouchah
2013-07-01, 12:07 PM
Your DM is way to hard on you guys. At first level he's throwing vamps at you and making you a werewolf. If it wasn't for the fact that your good I would leave the town.

Party alignments are LN, CE and N. So we could leave, but my character has a kind heart(true neutral as he may be) and the doppelganger is extremely loyal for a doppelganger.

Edit: I believe in restitution generally.

Kree West
2013-07-01, 03:15 PM
Okay here's what you do. You get a bag of holding type I and throw another into it near the vamps. They are vaporised. Now you can work for the cash to pay everyone off.

Randomguy
2013-07-01, 03:53 PM
Here's a suggestion: At level 3, have one of your team members or yourself take the Draconic Aura feat from Dragon Magic, and choose the Vigor aura. That'll keep the party at half hp out of combat, so you'll have less healing to do.

Try preparing Entangle a few times. You can use it to lock down melee types so that you and your allies can finish them off with arrows, or so that you can escape. Battlefield control in general does wonders.

Also, remember that you can Share Spells with your animal companion. That means it can also shoot fireballs when you cast Produce Flame, for double the amount of attacks.

Xervous
2013-07-01, 04:18 PM
Okay here's what you do. You get a bag of holding type I and throw another into it near the vamps. They are vaporised. Now you can work for the cash to pay everyone off.

Were you thinking of this? (http://unicorn.us.com/alex/dnd/superweapon_arrowhead.gif)

eggynack
2013-07-01, 05:11 PM
Produce flame is nice and all, but it might help out if you prepared other spells. I've gotta assume that you've got some measure of the damage dealing role filled without it. Instead, cast something like entangle. That spell serves a double role for your party. Against enemies you can kill, entangle locks them down, and lets the melee guys, including your animal companion, divide and conquer. Against these enemies that you're utterly outmatched against, it slows them down, and gives you enough time to make a quick getaway. If you're in environments where your DM has ruled that entangle doesn't work, try something like impeding stones, from Cityscape page 66. It's like entangle, but for areas lacking in wildlife.

Basically, you're preparing spells that only do anything a little of the time. Cure light wounds only helps defend your team reactively, if one of them has been hurt. Produce flame only aids your team's offense if it kills an enemy. Otherwise, you may as well have done nothing. Entangle helps a much better percentage of the time. If you still want the ability to stabilize downed opponents, prepare some cure minor wounds. It has a much lower opportunity cost, and you don't care about trading an action for a 0th level spell if it's the difference between life and death.

hobbitkniver
2013-07-01, 05:12 PM
I think the problem might be the DM rather than your character...

Gavinfoxx
2013-07-01, 05:51 PM
Mules, 8 gp, better fighter than fighters. of level 1, possibly level 2.

Kree West
2013-07-01, 06:57 PM
Were you thinking of this? (http://unicorn.us.com/alex/dnd/superweapon_arrowhead.gif)

Yup. Anyway go for battlefield control spells like Entangle and then usethe bag of holding trick if you have the cash. If you don't have your Drow mugg/kill/steal for some money. While it's unethical I think the destrution of vampires counts as a good act. If it still feels wrong whip your Drow with a vine once it's over. :smallbiggrin: