PDA

View Full Version : What did the Order of the Scribble call themselves?

Sunken Valley
2013-07-01, 01:22 PM
Both the fans and Rich Burlew call the adventuring party of Soon Kim and his team of gate-builders "The Order of the Scribble" mainly because they are crayon drawings.

However, in comic, the predecessor party have not been called by any title like the Order of the Stick have. Not by OOTS, not by Redcloak, not by Shojo, no one. What name did the defenders of the gates give their group?

Kish
2013-07-01, 01:25 PM
Considering they have an official name, I doubt very much if they called themselves anything else.

Should Rich ever feel a need to explain why, he'll likely introduce something like the stick Roy saw on the ground in OtOoPCs.

thereaper
2013-07-01, 01:26 PM
Who said they did?

My group of friends don't have a special name that we call ourselves by.

Sunken Valley
2013-07-01, 01:28 PM
Considering they have an official name, I doubt very much if they called themselves anything else.

Should Rich ever feel a need to explain why, he'll likely introduce something like the stick Roy saw on the ground in OtOoPCs.

But they don't. Find someone calling the group "Order of the Scribble" in comic (comic titles don't count). You can't.

Gift Jeraff
2013-07-01, 01:38 PM
Maybe they called themselves the Order of the Scribble. They set out to stop/seal a monster that looks like a big scribble, so why not?

Kish
2013-07-01, 01:53 PM
But they don't. Find someone calling the group "Order of the Scribble" in comic (comic titles don't count). You can't.
If I accepted your arbitrary rule about what does and doesn't constitute an official name, I would perforce have to agree that they do not have an official name.

In other words: Why on earth would comic titles not count?

Fish
2013-07-01, 02:06 PM
Why would they call themselves anything? The Order of the Stick only had a name because they have a comic named after them; plus, Elan thought they should have a name. The Linear Guild is probably named because of Nale's pathological jealousy.

"The Order of the Scribble" is as good a name as anything, for we who have call to use a name. They probably didn't need one.

veti
2013-07-01, 04:02 PM
Why would they call themselves anything? The Order of the Stick only had a name because they have a comic named after them; plus, Elan thought they should have a name. The Linear Guild is probably named because of Nale's pathological jealousy.

"The Order of the Scribble" is as good a name as anything, for we who have call to use a name. They probably didn't need one.

Obviously, experiences and opinions differ. But every group I've been involved in has had a name - assigned by the DM, if we couldn't be bothered to think of one for ourselves. He'd use it a lot in his session summary 'newsletter'.

I'm with Kish: I assume that if there was ever a need to answer this, we'd see a panel or two justifying the name 'Order of the Scribble'. But in practice, I don't think it will ever come up.

137beth
2013-07-01, 05:17 PM

I hate to break it to you, but we've only seen them as a group a few times. The first time the order of the stick was called "the order of the stick" in a panel was in #17. Oh, but no one actually called them "the order of the stick," it was just a drawing by Elan, so actually the first time they were called that was in strip 21. We have not seen 17 strips with the order of the scribble as a team.

Ron Miel
2013-07-01, 06:15 PM
(comic titles don't count).

Who says they don't count, and on what grounds? I think the comic title is pretty solid evidence of what they called themselves.

Morty
2013-07-01, 06:21 PM
I likewise doubt they called themselves anything. They weren't as goofy as the Order was at the start of their adventures together. "The Order of the Scribble" is just a convenient name to refer to the whole group when discussing them.

SaintRidley
2013-07-01, 07:17 PM
However, in comic, the predecessor party have not been called by any title like the Order of the Stick have.
They have not been referred to as such in a speech bubble, but that doesn't actually mean anything.

What name did the defenders of the gates give their group?

Who says they had one? Who says if they had one it was not the Order of the Scribble?

Sure, maybe they called their group Flurge. But maybe they didn't name their group, since there wasn't much camaraderie going on (from what we've seen). Or maybe they did call themselves the Order of the Scribble because of how much Serini scribbled in her diary about what a hottie Girard was.

Anarion
2013-07-01, 07:33 PM
I'm entertaining the head canon that Girard Draketooth always thought of them as "Girard and his troop of dancing buffoons."

Finn Solomon
2013-07-01, 08:20 PM
The Order of the Stick Wedged Firmly In Soon Kim's backside.

Ghost Nappa
2013-07-01, 08:33 PM
Obviously, experiences and opinions differ. But every group I've been involved in has had a name - assigned by the DM, if we couldn't be bothered to think of one for ourselves. He'd use it a lot in his session summary 'newsletter'.

I'm with Kish: I assume that if there was ever a need to answer this, we'd see a panel or two justifying the name 'Order of the Scribble'. But in practice, I don't think it will ever come up.

Right now I'm in a campaign where a prince has been kidnapped and the king after wrongfully accusing us, sent us out to go find him. We had to write a letter reporting in what we were doing so I wrote "The-group-of-people-who-you-wrongfully-accused-of-kidnapping-consisting-of-three-halflings-a-dwarf-a-half-elf-a-dinosaur-and-two-elves-who-may-or-may-not-exist" because none of us had thought to introduce ourselves to the king. Our DM laughed, face-palmed, and then asked for a Diplomacy check for the letter (on which I got a 25 at Level 3, Like a Champ.)

Newwby
2013-07-02, 07:32 AM
If I accepted your arbitrary rule about what does and doesn't constitute an official name, I would perforce have to agree that they do not have an official name.

In other words: Why on earth would comic titles not count?

It could have just been a comic title joke (spoofing 'the order of the stick') and never seriously meant to describe the order?

I expect they probably did have a different name for themselves. Perhaps Girard or Serini came up with it and Soon agreed purely out of 'please-shut-up'edness ala Roy with the stick.

martianmister
2013-07-02, 12:36 PM
They called themselves Holey Rift Crusaders

Roland Itiative
2013-07-02, 12:43 PM
Personally, I think they either were called Order of the Scribble, or had no name at all. Most of my gaming groups never adopt a "team name", and there usually is no reason to. Xykon's group also has no name ("Team Evil" was used once, kind of referring to Evil alignment in general, and not about their group in particular), and neither does Tarquin's group, as far as we know.

Shred-Bot
2013-07-03, 10:58 AM
Soon and the Soonettes.

Girard and Dorukan felt emasculated by this name, and this actually sparked the fight that broke up the group. Kraagor, incidentally, wasn't bothered by this, which is why things only got heated after his Snarling.

Fish
2013-07-03, 11:24 AM
Right now I'm in a campaign where a prince has been kidnapped and the king after wrongfully accusing us, sent us out to go find him. We had to write a letter reporting in what we were doing so I wrote "The-group-of-people-who-you-wrongfully-accused-of-kidnapping-consisting-of-three-halflings-a-dwarf-a-half-elf-a-dinosaur-and-two-elves-who-may-or-may-not-exist" because none of us had thought to introduce ourselves to the king. Our DM laughed, face-palmed, and then asked for a Diplomacy check for the letter (on which I got a 25 at Level 3, Like a Champ.)
I've run plenty of campaigns in many systems, and the only ones who ever needed names were groups of superheroes and groups of outlaws (eg, "The Hole in the Wall Gang").

Bilbo, Thorin and Co didn't need a name. Or a mascot. Or an official sports drink.

Shred-Bot
2013-07-03, 12:17 PM
I've run plenty of campaigns in many systems, and the only ones who ever needed names were groups of superheroes and groups of outlaws (eg, "The Hole in the Wall Gang").

Bilbo, Thorin and Co didn't need a name. Or a mascot. Or an official sports drink.

Today's fantasy adventure has been brought to you by: Lembas Bread! Official trail provisions of the Fellowship of the Ring!

And by: Earendil Light and Power! When all other lights go out, ours won't! Now available in Lothlorien.

karkus
2013-07-03, 04:06 PM
Who said they did?

My group of friends don't have a special name that we call ourselves by.

Why not? :smallconfused: I assumed everyone did this...

Kish
2013-07-03, 04:31 PM
I'm reasonably certain Thorin and Company were called Thorin and Company, actually. With the capital letters.

Angel Bob
2013-07-03, 04:51 PM
While not strictly necessary, it's very convenient to name an adventuring group so that one can clearly refer to it. It's also rather difficult. In one campaign I played, we squabbled over a name for twenty minutes a few weeks in, only to eventually decide on "the Still Unnamed Group", which stuck for the entirety of the campaign.

Fish
2013-07-03, 05:21 PM
I'm reasonably certain Thorin and Company were called Thorin and Company, actually. With the capital letters.
Called by whom? I don't remember their ever saying, "Greetings, people of Dale. We are Thorin and Company."

Bulldog Psion
2013-07-03, 06:45 PM
On the other hand, the Fellowship of the Ring did have a name. :smallwink:

F.Harr
2013-07-03, 07:55 PM
Yes, it was The Nine Walkers.

Also, there is too much in this thread that is just funny. If I noted everything that made me chuckle, this would take a long, long time.

Heh hhe heh he hah ha ha ha, suck-in-air, hee hee hee hee heee, ho ho ho ho ho!

DeliaP
2013-07-09, 04:58 AM
I was once in an adventuring party called "The Seekers", for some reason (the name was in place when I joined) although no-one seemed to like it. (We kept getting mistaken for Australian folk singers).

There were repeated unsuccesful attempts to get us to come up with a better name. I think my only suggestion was "The Adventuring Party Formerly Known As The Seekers".

Eventually a newly joined player was given the task of coming up with a name. His suggestion? "The Travelling Stab-Stabs".

At that point the whole topic was quietly dropped.

Vinyadan
2013-07-09, 09:10 AM
I think they called themselves a lot of insults...

JustWantedToSay
2013-07-09, 10:09 AM
There were repeated unsuccesful attempts to get us to come up with a better name. I think my only suggestion was "The Adventuring Party Formerly Known As The Seekers".

Now if you dropped the "formerly" you'd be left with: "TAP KATS"

Crusher
2013-07-09, 01:01 PM
Called by whom? I don't remember their ever saying, "Greetings, people of Dale. We are Thorin and Company."

"Thorin and Associates, LLC" was on their business cards, iirc.

F.Harr
2013-07-09, 01:06 PM
"Now if you dropped the 'formerly' you'd be left with: 'TAP KATS' "

That sounds like a traveling tap-dancing show.

:D

AstralFire
2013-07-09, 06:00 PM
TAP KATS is the tap dancing broadway musical based on the vintage cartoon SWAT KATS.

FlawedParadigm
2013-07-10, 04:31 AM
Speaking of names, we never got a name for (either) world did we? Just names of nations. I mean I refer to it as the Stickverse, which is a misnomer because I'm technically referring to a singular world, not a uni- or multi-verse, but it just seems snappier than StickWorld. *Shrugs.*

ChristianSt
2013-07-10, 05:06 AM
Speaking of names, we never got a name for (either) world did we? Just names of nations. I mean I refer to it as the Stickverse, which is a misnomer because I'm technically referring to a singular world, not a uni- or multi-verse, but it just seems snappier than StickWorld. *Shrugs.*

For me Stickverse is the whole universe in which the OotS plays (so for example it would include other planes like the Semi-Elemental Plane of Ranch Dressing - I hope we get some adventures in there in Book 5 *g*), just like Buffyverse not just simply includes earth, but also includes a bunch of other dimensions like Pylea and Quor'Toth.

But yeah, for only the world I would have no good word. I think I would go with OotS-world until something better comes up. (From the Crayons of Time (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0275.html) it would just simple be the world (or the new world / World 2.0))

AstralFire
2013-07-10, 07:37 AM
By D&D conventions, it would simply be the Material Plane, or the Prime Material Plane. I'm not sure that names are important unless we get three or more worlds.

Fri
2013-07-11, 12:51 AM
Order of the Stick is actually our intrepid protagonist group's official name, IIRC. It's explained in the prologue comic, the origin of the pcs. It's taken from a random stick elan (or was it roy?) picked on the road.

Lombard
2013-07-11, 12:58 AM
Riftbusters

:thog: "I aint afraid of no rift"