PDA

View Full Version : Finding an Old thread

ShadowFireLance
2013-07-01, 02:26 PM
Alright, so i read back through an old game i'm going to be joining, and it has a bunch of threads from back in 2011 that happened to be lost, and I'm wondering, are the threads archived somewhere, or are they forever lost?

Douglas
2013-07-01, 06:14 PM
If you happen to have the address of these threads (maybe the current threads start with "here's what's gone before" links?) you could try checking archive.org (http://archive.org/index.php). You could also ask the players and DM if anyone manually archived the older threads.

If both of those options fail, I'm afraid you're out of luck.

ShadowFireLance
2013-07-01, 06:15 PM
If you happen to have the address of these threads (maybe the current threads start with "here's what's gone before" links?) you could try checking archive.org (http://archive.org/index.php). You could also ask the players and DM if anyone manually archived the older threads.

If both of those options fail, I'm afraid you're out of luck.

I'm hunting this down for the Dm actually, He's kicking himself for not doing it.
Archive, Going to attempt it.

Rawhide
2013-07-01, 06:57 PM
Recruitment threads expire after 3 months, OOC threads expire after one year, IC threads currently do not expire.

If you're looking for an IC thread, it should still be there. If you're looking for one of the others and it has gone, then there is no archive of it on this site.

137beth
2013-07-01, 08:02 PM
Recruitment threads expire after 3 months, OOC threads expire after one year, IC threads currently do not expire.

If you're looking for an IC thread, it should still be there. If you're looking for one of the others and it has gone, then there is no archive of it on this site.

Do homebrew threads expire?

Rawhide
2013-07-01, 08:15 PM
Do homebrew threads expire?

If the threads in a forum expire, the forum description will warn you when it expires. There is no such warning in the homebrew description.

Douglas
2013-07-01, 09:00 PM
You might have to change your display options if you're searching by scrolling through the thread list, though. The default only lists threads from the last month.

ShadowFireLance
2013-07-01, 09:22 PM
Dang It was indeed a recruitment thread. :smallsigh:
Case Closed I guess.

TheFallenOne
2013-07-02, 01:39 AM

It should be noted that the qualifier 'in theory' belongs in that sentence, thread purges happen rarely.

The current OOC forum goes back to threads last posted in in October 2011. Not including a funny glitch thread dated 01/01/1970.
Recruiting goes back to threads last posted in in July 2012, that's four times the 'official' expiration date.

So if that Recruiting thread was less than a year ago you can still access it and retrieve relevant information. The three months limit is not set in stone.

ShadowFireLance
2013-07-02, 01:51 AM
It should be noted that the qualifier 'in theory' belongs in that sentence, thread purges happen rarely.

The current OOC forum goes back to threads last posted in in October 2011. Not including a funny glitch thread dated 01/01/1970.
Recruiting goes back to threads last posted in in July 2012, that's four times the 'official' expiration date.

So if that Recruiting thread was less than a year ago you can still access it and retrieve relevant information. The three months limit is not set in stone.

I've hunted for em, and no luck, I could post links, but I doubt it would help, unfortunately.

Straybow
2013-07-25, 02:59 AM
What happened to search? FAQ still says there is a search link at the "top" of most pages. This does not appear to be true.

Douglas
2013-07-25, 03:45 AM
What happened to search? FAQ still says there is a search link at the "top" of most pages. This does not appear to be true.
See here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15688574#post15688574).

Gadora
2013-07-25, 06:54 AM

Also, the FAQ is horribly outdated, but updating it has been stated to be a rather low priority, given all the other demands on people's time.

Roland St. Jude
2013-07-25, 01:40 PM
Sheriff: Indeed. Search is temporarily but indefinitely offline, which effects things like "Find all posts by user" and the like. Your best bet is to do a site-specific search using Google or another search engine.