PDA

View Full Version : The Five Gems (In-Character Thread)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Crimson Doom
2013-07-01, 02:50 PM
http://images.wikia.com/mlp/images/e/e0/A_Canterlot_street_S2E9.png

Canterlot. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eC2abGRQ_s) Widely considered to be the gathering point for everypony worth knowing, the city shines from its mountain peak, visible from nearly anywhere in Equestria, especially when, as now, the noonday sun shines on it.

On this sunny day, you all find yourselves in Canterlot, searching for the house of one Ancient Myth, who has offered you a job by letter dungeon-diving for crown of unknown power. Given the number of bits he's offered or other things he has to offer, most of you intend to accept.

Sicale, you know Ancient Myth by reputation as a clever but reclusive archaeologist. Though the bits and the crown mean little to you, you're hoping that you might gain an ally in him to aid your goals of protecting your Hive. You asked Adamant Shield to come along for protection, and he accepted.

You two are currently in the residential district for the upper-crust side of Canterlot. As you make your way to the house, you notice several unicorns in the streets looking at you disapprovingly and sticking their noses in the air. This last action backfires on one of them, who runs into a lamppost due to not looking where he was going. A few smirks of amusement pass among the other unicorns, though they quickly go back to pointedly ignoring you. Nonetheless, you see your destination ahead, a three-story mansion with, for whatever reason, a green ribbon waving from the chimney. You notice a griffon flying towards your direction; possibly another applicant for the job?

Elixir, you hope to be able to use the crown to boost your alchemy. You are currently making your way through the market towards the upper-crust residential district. Several shopkeepers nod or yell a greeting as you pass; you've sold here often enough that they know you by sight.

Iron Wing, you were surprised to have received a letter that begged your assistance in retrieving the griffon king's crown, but recognized that this was a great opportunity for the griffon kingdom. And so you have flown all the way from the griffon lands to Canterlot, and are currently soaring above the upper-crust district. Ancient Myth, in a burst of foresight, told you to seek the house with the green ribbon tied to the chimney, and you manage to locate it without much trouble, though you notice two ponies approaching the same house, and a zebra coming there from a bit further away.

Takeya, you want the job for the sake of meeting new and exciting people in the work; the bits are nice, but not strictly necessary. Though you have gotten several well-mannered glares from the Canterlot citizenry, they let you pass unmolested, and you have managed to get in the neighborhood of the correct house with little more than dirty looks. You notice a griffon heading in the same direction that you are, possibly headed for the same destination.

Compass, you know that today is the day to receive the guests, and while Ancient Myth is gathering his notes, you are waiting by the door to receive whoever shows up. Your instructions are to lead them to the downstairs study of the mansion Myth lives and works in, where they will wait until Myth is ready to receive them.

Rater202
2013-07-01, 03:08 PM
Well old friend, it seems that you were not the only one told about this little excursion. Do you think Ancient Myth is assembling a team of treasure hunters? Or maybe he invited multiple ponies, or griffons as the case may be, to insure he gets the best for the job?

Forum Explorer
2013-07-01, 04:19 PM
Iron Wing spotted the two ponies and diverted his flight path. Better to meet any would be comrades now, rather then later. He circled them a few times from above to make sure that they were actually headed to Ancient Myth's house but after confirming his suspicions he dove down in front of them, stalling his descent with a few powerful strokes of his wings to land safely on the ground.

Good Day! Are You Also Headed To Meet Ancient Myth For His Expedition? Good If You Are! I'm Sure That This Adventure Will Be Both Perilous And Glorious As Deserving For Individuals Of Such Magnificence Such As Myself! Now Tell Me Your Names, For I am Iron Wing, Future King Of The Griffons!

Rater202
2013-07-01, 04:28 PM
Greetings, I am Adamant Shield, master of both combat magic and Hoof to Hoof combat, and protector of all who have such need.
*Gestures to Sicale*
This is my friend Steal Wind, He is the one who was contacted, I am just here for protection.

Forum Explorer
2013-07-01, 04:44 PM
I See! We Shall Have To Spar At Some Other Time! How About You Friend? What Skills Do You Bring To Our Crusade?

Rater202
2013-07-01, 04:59 PM
I See! We Shall Have To Spar At Some Other Time! How About You Friend? What Skills Do You Bring To Our Crusade?

I am going to have to let you down, I only use my skills to protect others.

*Looks to Sicale* You are being unusually quiet, friend.

Emperor Ing
2013-07-01, 05:15 PM
Sicale, or Steel Wind, as what appears to be the grey pegasus with the gold mane and tail calls himself, travels to Ancient Myth's mansion. Judging by how the Elites of Equestian society seem to treat their own, it would certainly help to have allies here. However he doesn't much relish the prospect of revealing his true self to one of them, barring any alternatives. At the very least this work could establish some set of trust and possibly let some clues "slip" on his disguise to possibly ease Ancient into associating with a Changeling.

Steel Wind does turn to reply to the pretty-sure-he's-actually-a-pony Unicorn Adamant and to the newcomer Griffin, not really able to keep up with their whirlwind discussion. He raises a hoof to try and slow them down. Sorry, i'm a bit distracted. Yes i'm Steel Wind. Truth be told i'm kind of a newcomer, some of these streets make me nervous. He shakes his head, chuckling a bit. I'm pretty good with lightning actually, and my Special Talent is convincing others to see things my way. Among other things, but nothing really worth mentioning.

HotRoute
2013-07-01, 05:35 PM
The rose-coated pony anxiously prances around the lobby of Ancient Myth's manor. Is she nervous about the upcoming venture for the lost griffon crown? Not at all, in fact, she's made plenty of spelunking quests like this before; this one, however, will be the only one she won't be doing alone. The extra party members is what gives this day cause for alarm.

"Gotta make sure everything's ready for the guests!" She mumbles to herself. She's repeated that phrase about once a minute for the past hour as she darts around the kitchen, checking on her horderves of raspberry jam cookies and a sparkling pink lemonade. Is this something adventurer-types would like? She asked herself earlier that morning, Well, I'm an adventuring-type, and I like these...

The pegasus pony carefully opens the oven and takes out the hot cookie sheet with a cloth in her mouth. She frowns when she places the sheet on top of the hot oven and inspects the food. A little too burnt... Unfortunately, the pony had been distracted making two things at once and forgot about the timing of these treats. Figures, today is the day I don't make a perfect batch, she thinks, rolling her eyes. She kicks the oven door closed with her hind hooves.

The pink pony hears a creak across the room. "Hello!?" She calls, dashing to the door; but nothing is there. "Oh right. I locked the door." She thinks to unlock the door, but hesitates. The professor has a lot of valuable artifacts in here... if I'm gone and somepony comes in and takes something... she shivers. Best I just wait here and answer when anypony comes knocking.

Rater202
2013-07-01, 05:39 PM
Well, do either of you think anyone else will be joining us?

Emperor Ing
2013-07-01, 05:54 PM
The fake Pegasus nods. I think we can count on it. The way Equestrian society works is that in order to enter some place you hit your hoof on the door to get the occupant's attention, right? But that place is so big. How is Ancient supposed to know someone is beating their hoof on their door? Maybe there's acoustics involved. Nevertheless, He looks to the mansion's doors, gesturing towards it. Shall we?

HotRoute
2013-07-01, 06:07 PM
The pegasus inside nervously plods in place, shifting her weight from her left to right side and back again. She sees a group of ponies and a griffon outside Ancient Myth's door through tinted glass; these must be the adventurers he requested. Do I go open the door? I don't want them to think I've been spying on them... but I don't want to keep them waiting either! But I don't want to surprise them... oh...

Rater202
2013-07-01, 07:02 PM
The fake Pegasus nods. I think we can count on it. The way Equestrian society works is that in order to enter some place you hit your hoof on the door to get the occupant's attention, right? But that place is so big. How is Ancient supposed to know someone is beating their hoof on their door? Maybe there's acoustics involved. Nevertheless, He looks to the mansion's doors, gesturing towards it. Shall we?

Yes, let's

Emperor Ing
2013-07-01, 07:04 PM
Steel Wing strolls over to the door and pounds his hoof against it. That's how most ponies do it, right?

Beacon of Chaos
2013-07-01, 07:12 PM
The unicorn pony, Elixir, ambles his way through the crowded markets of Canterlot. His saddle bags are weighed down with many potions and alchemical reagents for use in his upcoming adventure. A clever "lightness" enchantment prevents the bags from pinning him to the floor.

As he walks, he speaks quickly to a few of his fellow merchants.

"Ah, Mrs. Mango! How are you?"
"Lazy Daze, I haven't seen you in ages!"
"Oh, Clever Clogs, I have that special order "enhancement potion" for you and your wife." *wink*

Arriving at a large mansion he notices several other ponies and a griffon approaching the door. He wanders up to them.

"Oh? Are you here to see Ancient Myth too?" he asks.

Rater202
2013-07-01, 07:17 PM
Why yes we are.

Beacon of Chaos
2013-07-01, 07:26 PM
"Perfect! My name is Elixir!" he says, holding out a hoof. "I'm the local alchemist. I suspect I'm being brought on this mission for medical support."

He notices the pegasus knocking on the front door. "I'm quite looking forward to meeting Ancient Myth and finding out what he has in store for us."

HotRoute
2013-07-01, 08:06 PM
*knock knock knock*

Oh no, there it is! The pony snaps to attention as if she were struck by lightning. Again, she nervously jitters back and forth, semi-waiting for somepony else to get the door, until she realizes that's her job. Oh, right.

As she approaches the door, a gleam of light breaks through the window and strikes her eye. Sure is sunny out - and probably hot! I bet these ponies would really appreciate it if I answered the door with something cool to drink. The pegasus darts to the punch bowl and pours How many is there? One, two, oh gee there's more now four glasses of her patented Fizz Pink Punch.

*knock knock knock*

"Ah! Um, coming!" She calls, quickly snatching the glasses. She's able to balance some on her wing; The last she must carry in her mouth. The door proves nigh-impossible to operate with the cup in her mouth, but she mustn't keep these ponies waiting any longer! She attempts to open the door with her front right hoof, but as the door swings open outward, she loses her balance. "Gah!!" The four pink fizzy drinks fly into the air and splash down on the green-maned pony. One glass breaks near the door frame. This is so embarrassing... The young filly, now sticky and drenched in her drink, looks up at her guests with a forced half-smile and manages a "Welcome, you must be Ancient Myth's guests..." Only one eye is visible through her mane, which now droops wet in front of her face. "Please come in."

Rater202
2013-07-01, 08:12 PM
This is either a very good sign, or a very bad one, the Unicorn muses.

Forum Explorer
2013-07-01, 08:19 PM
An Alchemist And A Lightning Expert. Hmm, I'm Not Sure What We Will Be Facing To Require Your Services But I Expect That You Shall Not Let Us Down! Iron Wing walks with the others, pausing to shake Elixer's hoof with a tad too much force.

Greetings! We Are Indeed Those Who Have Been Summoned By Ancient Myth! Now Please Make Haste And Show Us To Him! Iron Wing leans in and lowers his voice a micron in volume. Do Not Worry, Mistakes Happen To Even To Me! Just Keep It Up And Grab A Towel When We Are Talking To Ancient Myth. Iron Wing smiles and gives her a stinging slap on the back. Ah Before I Forget, What Is Your Name Young Filly? Iron Wing adds, rejoining the others.

Emperor Ing
2013-07-01, 09:04 PM
I can assure you letting anyone down is the furthest thing from my intent. He replies to the Griffin sincerely before looking back on the pony who's opening the door. Sicale can taste the filly's fear pretty clearly. Not anything he would want to feed on at all, fear of the unknown doesn't usually digest well. Regardless, he nods, and readjusts his sunglasses. Greetings. Yes, we are here to see Ancient Myth. Thank you. The "pegasus" replies, nodding courteously and walking into the mansion.

HotRoute
2013-07-02, 01:08 AM
These ponies barely even seemed to notice my fall - except for the griffon, that is. This can't be good, the must just be being polite and not showing their disgust. The pony does her best to shake off the mistake - at least the griffon showed some sincerity in his aid, maybe this wasn't all so bad - and leaps to the front of the room, attracting everypony's attention.

"Greetings travelers from whatever lands you call home," the pegasus starts with a speech that sounds very static and rehearsed, "welcome to the home of Ancient Myth, one of Canterlot's most accomplished archaeologists. You were all called here to aid in the investigation in a valuable artifact, a crown once belonging to a griffon king. My name is Compass Rose; I have worked with Ancient Myth for some time now, and will be accompanying you on your journey." A focused Compass Rose suddenly panics as she runs out of prepared lines. "Um..." her eyes dart around the room, "He'll be ready... shortly - I hope... in the meantime... I made, eh heh... cookies, if, um, anypony is interested..." As soon as the words escape her lips, she realizes how lame the idea of cookies is; this company clearly is not the kind for her girlish treats. She again gives a weak smile, whipping her wet mane out from in front of her face, sending some juice toward the grey pegasus.

Forum Explorer
2013-07-02, 01:27 AM
...I See. Very Well Miss Rose, Bring Us To A Room Where We May Relax As We Wait. Refreshments Are A Fine Idea As Well! I For One Have Traveled Far And Would Appreciate Whatever Appetizers You Have Prepared For Us! Iron Wing says kindly though he can't hide the burning in his gaze as he absently searches the room, trying to predict where Compass Rose will lead them, or where Ancient Myth will appear from.

Emotions Siscale can taste from Iron Wing right now
Iron Wing's emotions are a mixture of pity towards Compass Rose and offended anger towards Ancient Myth for leaving them to wait for an indefinite amount of time.

Crimson Doom
2013-07-02, 07:03 AM
About then, a thump can be heard from the second story, followed by muffled swearing in a language most of you don't recognize.

Sicale, you find yourself realizing that this man is cursing in Changeling. Quite fluently, I might add. But then he switches to another language that you don't recognize.

Beacon of Chaos
2013-07-02, 09:15 AM
Elixir barely had time to react to the door opening before getting splashed in the face with some sweet smelling drink. It was only some dampness, but it was annoying nonetheless. Not a great first impression.

"Hmph. No harm done, but please be careful," he said to the pony who had opened the door. "And get me a towel, please."

Once inside and drying off, he sat down and listened to Myth's assistant's introduction. "Well, I'll have a cookie while we're waiting."

At the sound of noise from upstairs he smirks, but says nothing.

Emperor Ing
2013-07-02, 09:30 AM
One good thing about having an exoskeleton, water slides right off. From the pony's perspective Steel Wind doesn't seem to get wet at all. Probably because it wasn't that much. It doesn't make it any less annoying to get sprayed-on, though. It's tolerable at least. For now he decides to be polite, I mean when would any decent Changeling turn down the opportunity for what could possibly be chocolate? Actually yeah. Cookies sound good- Just then, the thump and the swearing, which causes the "pegasus" to recoil slightly, staring at the ceiling apparently offended by something he's saying. Whoa! Watch the language!

Rater202
2013-07-02, 09:57 AM
One good thing about having an exoskeleton, water slides right off. From the pony's perspective Steel Wind doesn't seem to get wet at all. Probably because it wasn't that much. It doesn't make it any less annoying to get sprayed-on, though. It's tolerable at least. For now he decides to be polite, I mean when would any decent Changeling turn down the opportunity for what could possibly be chocolate? Actually yeah. Cookies sound good- Just then, the thump and the swearing, which causes the "pegasus" to recoil slightly, staring at the ceiling apparently offended by something he's saying. Whoa! Watch the language!

Oh, you Understood that, Steal? What language was it?

*Follows others inside*

Emperor Ing
2013-07-02, 10:04 AM
Crap.

Sicale hadn't even considered the possibility that someone else might recognize the fact that he can recognize the language. So they don't need to know that either of them can speak Changlic. Just play it cool... Actually I didn't. I can just tell that whatever it was, they're words we're probably better off not knowing. Nailed it.

HotRoute
2013-07-02, 01:11 PM
"Yes sir!" Compass Rose darts to the cabinets and retrieves a fresh towel for Elixir. She pauses to look up at him directly with big green eyes. "I'm really sorry." She then dashes back to the counter to bring the cookies for Steel Wind. Being a hostess is exhausting! She balances the plate on her left wing like she had with the glasses before, but now, she manages to keep them safe. As she passes around the treats, she asks, "So, uh, do you all know each other already?" Great, now I'm gonna be annoying and have them all reintroduce themselves...

Once anyone begins talking, drips of juice drop onto her forehead. By Celestia I am such a mess right now... Ancient Myth will not appreciate this... "I'm still listening!" she calls as she heads into the kitchen one last time to wrap a towel around her head.

Emperor Ing
2013-07-02, 02:25 PM
Don't you dare use telekinesis! Sicale harshly reminds himself, now being one of those times where he sincerely wishes he made Steel Wind a Unicorn. Nevertheless he makes due, using one of Steel's wings to grab a cookie. Oh yes. Me and Adamant run into each other all the time. It's kinda funny really. What do they say about great minds thinking alike? Does that apply equally as well to going to the same places? He muses out loud as he takes a bite.

By the way are you okay? You look like you might need some help. Compass' fear of messing up is absolutely palpable, it's starting to become repugnant empathic secret changeling. In addition to trying to cut off the flow, Sicale does offer help out of compassion since it looks like the poor filly's being a bit overworked.

Rater202
2013-07-02, 02:34 PM
*Telekinetically lifts a cookie to his mouth*
Nom. So, is anypony else expected to arrive or is it just us?

HotRoute
2013-07-02, 05:13 PM
"No!" Compass Rose adamantly replies. "Um, I mean, no thank you." These ponies think I can't even handle cookies! There's no way they're going to trust me adventuring.

"Um, yes, actually." Compass Rose peers over her guest's back, trying to look out the window. "There will be fifteen more."

Emperor Ing
2013-07-02, 06:05 PM
Steel bites the cookie, dissapointed by the lack of chocolate in it. He looks again and notices the reddish texture. Bah. Foiled again. It's not bad, though. At least it has that going for it. And besides, if there WAS chocolate, well...there's no telling what he would do. Totally-not-changelings have an inability to help themselves around chocolate.

He blinks when he hears the number of additional explorers. Fifteen?!

Beacon of Chaos
2013-07-02, 06:20 PM
"So, uh, do you all know each other already?"

Elixir looks around at the group. He'd been in Canterlot a couple of years now, and had met many ponies (and other races) but these were all newcomers to him.

"There will be fifteen more."

Elixir raises an eyebrow at this. "This must be a pretty big expedition."

Forum Explorer
2013-07-02, 07:27 PM
Iron Wing glares at the roof when he hears the cursing but declines to comment on it. When the conversation turns he rejoins it eagerly Not At All! Most Of Us Met Through The Lucky Coincidence Of Arriving At The Same Time!

Naturally We Shall Require A Large Expedition! This Is No Mere Weekend Camping Trip, But A Quest To Retrieve One Of The Most Valuable Artifacts Of All Time! No Doubt There Are Many Who Wish To Partake In The Glory That This Expedition Shall Accumulate! And No Doubt That Many Of Ancient Myth's Colleagues Will Also Wish To Bring A Servant Or Two Along!

Rater202
2013-07-02, 07:32 PM
Or, perhaps he wishes to assemble a team of treasure hunters from the best representatives of all related fields and invited so many because he intends to judge us for individual merit before turning away those who do not meet his requirements?

HotRoute
2013-07-02, 07:41 PM
Or maybe he chose a group so large because he forsees not all will return. Compass Rose shudders, then silently swallows her fears.

Forum Explorer
2013-07-02, 08:17 PM
That's Possible, But From What I've Seen Of Ancient Myth It Doesn't Seem Likely.

Rater202
2013-07-03, 04:42 PM
Do we know when others are supposed to arrive?

Beacon of Chaos
2013-07-03, 05:08 PM
Naturally We Shall Require A Large Expedition! This Is No Mere Weekend Camping Trip, But A Quest To Retrieve One Of The Most Valuable Artifacts Of All Time! No Doubt There Are Many Who Wish To Partake In The Glory That This Expedition Shall Accumulate! And No Doubt That Many Of Ancient Myth's Colleagues Will Also Wish To Bring A Servant Or Two Along!

Elixir smiles at the boisterous Griffon. "You seem pretty excited about this. That's good. Nothing beats a good adventure, eh?"

Or, perhaps he wishes to assemble a team of treasure hunters from the best representatives of all related fields and invited so many because he intends to judge us for individual merit before turning away those who do not meet his requirements?

That's Possible, But From What I've Seen Of Ancient Myth It Doesn't Seem Likely.

"Oh, I do hope there won't be some kind of test. I haven't studied!," Elixir jokes. "Have you met Ancient Myth, Mr. Iron Wing? You seem to know something about him."

Emperor Ing
2013-07-03, 06:30 PM
I think it's gonna be a competition. Steel Wind adds. Even if there are...fifteen....other ponies, I can't imagine such an operation proceeding without us tripping over each other's hooves. Or talons. He says, looking at Iron Wing. Ancient has some method in mind of narrowing that number down, if the others aren't there for some backup or utility purposes.

Rater202
2013-07-03, 06:46 PM
maybe there are mutable treasures that he seeks, and intends to send out multiple teams to retrieve them.

Forum Explorer
2013-07-03, 11:29 PM
Of Course! I Welcome Any Adventure, But As You Can Imagine This Adventure Is Of Utmost Importance To Me!

I Have Never Met Ancient Myth Before, But From What I've Seen Around Here Ancient Myth Does Not Seem To Be The Pickiest Of Ponies. Besides Fifteen Ponies Is Not Truly That Large Of An Expedition! Particularly If It Includes Companions And Assistants!

Rater202
2013-07-04, 10:13 AM
*Taps hoof, looking quiet bored as he waits for others to arrive*

Emperor Ing
2013-07-04, 11:13 AM
It's important to you? An ancient artifact of Griffon origin might be something their High King, Sicale thinks he's called, would want to personally commission the recovery of. Maybe similar expeditions are the source of Ancient's apparent affluence. Either way such an expedition might be represented by a few more than one single Griffon, the totally-not-a-Changeling thinks.

It's important to you? Steel Wing inquires, putting emphasis on the "you." How come?

Rater202
2013-07-04, 11:32 AM
He did introduce himself to us as the future king of the griffons. Retrieving the crown of an ancient griffon king would give his claim to the throne a sense off legitimacy.

Forum Explorer
2013-07-04, 12:41 PM
Indeed! Iron Wing nods to Adamant As You Can Imagine Retrieving The Crown Is Of Utmost Importance To My Future! This Expedition Shall Speed My Own Ambitions By Decades Or More!

Emperor Ing
2013-07-04, 03:28 PM
Steel Wing finds himself adjusting his sunglasses again. Is that how the Griffin heirachy changes? This sounds so much like home it's uncanny. Sicale is reminded about how standard procedure for royal succession is that the new Queen ousts the old one through guile or some sort of coup. Maybe the Griffin Kingdoms do something similar...?

HotRoute
2013-07-04, 06:16 PM
Are you actually griffon royalty? Almost escapes Compass Rose's mouth. This is exciting; I actually know little about griffons, perhaps this adventure will open my mind to new things.

SiuiS
2013-07-04, 08:17 PM
Gerry Rig sighs, brushing his mane back from his eyes with one dusty hoof. And then he could a bit, because, like, dusty? Eww.

Whatever, man.

It was just three days ago, he sat on the lounge of lower Canterlot's premiere nightclub, staring down at an official writ of leave (Retirement, they mean!) and wondering what he was going to do with his life. It was two days ago, to the hour, he got the notice from Ancient Myth seeking contractors for a privately funded expedition, old school style on a vellum scroll and everything. It was about five hours ago Gerry rig had crumpled up the writ of leave and left it, and the rubbish bin containing it, an enough bits to cover rent for the loft for the next year behind him.

Never too late to start again, right? It's only been two years since Schema pulled him out of the opera circuit and showed him that a night club was all noise, and now he was as native as those Fillydelphia fillies grinding out to PON-3's Lon beats were.

... Maybe he shouldn't keep remembering that.

This is the place. It has to be; right address, right style, patterns of wear on the door so it's used frequently, open loft for wing transit... And a slightly open entryway. Well, if that wasn't an invitation, what was? These adventurous types were always for their mystery stories, maybe this was set up like a novel?

One thick but well-manicured hoof slowly pushes open the door, and then quickly rejoins its comrades clopping out a walking rhythm. Yellowish ears swivel; some talking in the interior. Probably dining hall, given the state of the building right? They'd put the dinner below the master bedroom so guests wouldn't hear anything, and with the wings they way they are you'd need to buttress it with a few—

Oh, man! You need a hobby, Gerry! You're dissecting neoclassical architecture again...[/orange] the earth pony mumbles to himself. [color="orange"]Let's just find these folks and introduce ourself.

The light russet earth pony pushes open the Simon room door, not bothering to be unobtrusive (it's not like they could hear him anyway, the way that one pony is crowing!), and smiling. A well-kept brown mane crowns his amber eyes, making up with polish what they lack in presence; if the mane wasn't swept back, he would probably be rocking a pompadour. Bulging and worn burlap saddlebags cover a woolen tunic of faded navy blue, the sleeves ending in golden-copper-brass apparatii festooned with some innocuous looking gears and crystal lenses. A rusted black, faceted ring adorns either of his wide flanks, set off by a bobbed tail. He's waving a familiar scroll and smiling like a tourin rock star who's been found in an IHOP by fans.

Hey there! Is this where we meet Ancient Myth? You guys and gals the rest of the crew? Name's Gerry Rig, engineer. stuffing the scroll into a pack, he extends a hoof to the crowd.

Rater202
2013-07-04, 08:53 PM
Hello there, I am Adamant Shield.*Gestures to Sicale* this is my friend Steal Wind. According to Compass, was it?*Gestures to compass rose* there should be 14 others arriving. the griffon is Iron Wing, And my Fellow Unicorn is ... *Looks to Elixer*Actually I did not catch your name.

*Looks back to Gerry Rig* so, what is your area of expertise?

Forum Explorer
2013-07-04, 10:58 PM
I Have No Wish To Bore You With Politics But I Will Say That The Current King Is A Farce Of A Ruler And That Every Griffon Would Welcome A New Strong Leader.

Iron Wing shakes Gerry Rig's hoof vigorously. Good To Meet You! Apparently The Total Party Size Shall Be Fifteen So There Are Ponies Yet To Arrive! We Are Still Awaiting Ancient Myth Ourselves So Please Sit Down And Tell Us About Yourself!

HotRoute
2013-07-05, 06:08 AM
Compass Rose's back is turned when the door swings open and she is caught off-guard by the new arrival. "Ah!" She hustles to greet the newcomer. "Welcome, you must be Ancient Myth's guest. Please come in," she says with a half bow, before starting off in the exact same speech as before, "Welcome to the home of Ancient Myth, one of Canterlot's most accomplished archaeologists. You were all called here to aid in the investigation in a valuable artifact, a crown once belonging to a griffon king. My name is Compass Rose; I have worked with Ancient Myth for some time now, and will be accompanying you on your journey." Once again, she stammers at the end. "Along with, uh, these ponies here, we're waiting for fifteen others. So, um, is there anything I can get you, something to eat?" She says with an endearing smile, trying to be hostly. A piece of towel cloth drapes in front of her face, so she blows it back up into place.

Beacon of Chaos
2013-07-05, 08:13 AM
Elixir turns to Gerry and Adamant. "Name's Elixir. I run Potion Power, down in the Canterlot lower levels. Magical potions and alchemical formulas for every situation! We always have the mix you need!" he says, speaking his shop's tagline by rote. He leans in to the two of them conspiratorially. "Don't go to Magnum Opus's House of Potions. That guy will rip you off."

Crimson Doom
2013-07-05, 12:07 PM
Before the introductions can be completed, Ancient Myth himself comes downstairs.

http://i.imgur.com/shcLA6U.png

He's followed by a large bookbag, clearly enchanted to follow him and sporting a dark blue aura.

He looks the small group up and down slightly. "Hrmph. Number of absent invited creatures is 25% greater than anticipated," he mutters to himself. "Probability of traffic delaying arrival is 73.48%. Should give them another fifteen minutes before briefing." He turns to head back upstairs, then pauses, turning to address Compass Rose. "Magnetic Lily, remove that ridiculous turban. It makes you look like a Saddle Arabian."

And with that parting shot, he trots back upstairs.

Rater202
2013-07-05, 01:14 PM
*Looking at compass* Does he always get your name wrong?

SiuiS
2013-07-05, 01:32 PM
Gerry Rig shakes the proffered talon in return, with almost as much vigour; say, 82.137% vigour. Woah, there! It's like being the new colt in class all over again! If you aren't careful you'll get ponies running off to sit in the corner for being tardy! he jokes.

"Along with, uh, these ponies here, we're waiting for fifteen others. So, um, is there anything I can get you, something to eat?" She says with an endearing smile, trying to be hostly. A piece of towel cloth drapes in front of her face, so she blows it back up into place.

Hey there, relax! See, guys, you've got the T.A. All flustered. Gerry sniffs the air, nostrils flaring almost comically. And yeah, something smells— and then suddenly there is a unicorn with the kind of mustache you see mounted on scooters to steer by, and he's... Aw, no way, he's talking math?! Gerry Rig grimaces (comically, since pony telepathy is still in the developmental stages and not only can read his mind), and watches Ancient Myth trot about in a solipsistic haze, before retiring upstairs once more.

Elixir turns to Gerry and Adamant. "Name's Elixir. I run Potion Power, down in the Canterlot lower levels. Magical potions and alchemical formulas for every situation! We always have the mix you need!" he says, speaking his shop's tagline by rote. He leans in to the two of them conspiratorially. "Don't go to Magnum Opus's House of Potions. That guy will rip you off."

Woah, hey! You're famous, dude. Highly recommended by the playful youth down at Raise the Moon.

The engineer pony slings a foreleg over Compass Rose's shoulder, grinning. that? Nah, that was, like, a nickname. Because you're so magnetic, and sweet as a flower, amiright? Gerry Rig's face goes slack for an instant, and he, again, sniffs. Hey, wait, it's you! You smell like fizzy drink. Why do you smell delicious?

Beacon of Chaos
2013-07-05, 01:34 PM
Elixir raises an eyebrow at the brief appearance of the group's potential employer.

"Did that just happen? 73.48%? This guy talks like a calculator."

The alchemist magically pulls a small book and quill from his saddlebags and begins writing something.

SiuiS
2013-07-05, 01:51 PM
"Did that just happen? 73.48%? This guy talks like a calculator."

Oh man, I know! Gerry Rig in slings his foreleg from the poor, probably traumatized pony with a sticky, wet ripping sound and a blegh face before giving Elixer his full attention. Seriously though, a pony can do calculations like that, he needs to apply it. Could you imagine if he were at the observatory charting heavenly bodies, or like, a sculptor! He could go to the clubs, and take notes, charting heavenly bodies. Haha! But no, I'm just kidding that's amazing, but totally weird.

Gerry Rig scoops up a hoof full of cookie, and tosses them to fall – one, two, three! – into his open, waiting mouth. The nomming sounds alternate between sickly and humorous, much like a certain pie-guzzling bolt of wonder. Bhut ennywai – om nomnom *gulp* – anyway, I'm an engineer. Like, uh, I can... he frowns, forelock falling between his eyes like a defeated peacock's tailcrest lowering. Well, I mean, I can do lots of things. Do I have to pick one? I'm really good at putting together useful tools and structures from almost nothing, though. My great grand-dad was kinda famous for the same thing, you might have heard of McDiver? They made a series of plays about him, always fixing things with tape and a bobby pin.

Emperor Ing
2013-07-05, 02:17 PM
Sicale has absolutely no hope of ever getting used to the ridiculous naming customs of these ponies (and Zebra and Griffon.) Why can't they have normal sounding names like Helix or Carcenos? Magnetic Lily takes the cake though, and the totally-not-a-Changeling has to summon all of his mental strength to keep from snickering at the thought of a magnet flower. Now that he mentioned it he just knows that somewhere somehow a pony couple just named their newborn mare Magnet Flower.

You're related to McDiver?! Steel Wind exclaims in exitement, the tales of his antics having spread all the way to Hive Hemiphera. Truth be told at least one of the actors who played the part of McDiver in the plays was a Changeling.

HotRoute
2013-07-05, 02:24 PM

Compass Rose ducks her head deeply embarrassed. "Eheh, he's just so busy, you know? Always thinking five step ahead of himself..."

The engineer pony slings a foreleg over Compass Rose's shoulder, grinning. that? Nah, that was, like, a nickname. Because you're so magnetic, and sweet as a flower, amiright? Gerry Rig's face goes slack for an instant, and he, again, sniffs. Hey, wait, it's you! You smell like fizzy drink. Why do you smell delicious?

The rose-colored pony turns a shade redder as Gerry manages to crack an honest smile out of the filly. "N-never thought of it that way..." Of course he doesn't mean that. Ancient Myth has never shown an iota of emotion to somepony, let alone me. But it's nice that somepony would say that, even if he's just being nice. The sniffing pony brings Compass Rose back down to earth. "Oh, heh, sorry." She rips the towel off her head; her messy mane falls in front of her, clumped together in parts, a few shades darker green than before the mishap. "Slipped with the punchbowl, eeehhh... maybe I should put some on every morning? Heh..." Compass Rose blushes again. What am I saying!? He's just trying to be nice, pull yourself together...

The hostess watches Ancient Myth walk back up the stairs. "Seriously? Not even going to say hello?" She stammers under baited breath. I don't know how much more of this I can take! Her eyes wander to the back of the room. Although the seem to be taking care of themselves... Compass Rose takes a deep breath, then approaches the griffon. "Are you really in competition for the throne, Iron Wing? Is the griffon ruling structure a true kratocracy?"

Beacon of Chaos
2013-07-05, 03:12 PM
Woah, hey! You're famous, dude. Highly recommended by the playful youth down at Raise the Moon.
"O-oh, really?" replies Elixir, blushing slightly at the thought of being famous. "I haven't heard of Raise the Moon before. Sounds like a club of some sort?"

Oh man, I know! Seriously though, a pony can do calculations like that, he needs to apply it. Could you imagine if he were at the observatory charting heavenly bodies, or like, a sculptor! He could go to the clubs, and take notes, charting heavenly bodies. Haha! But no, I'm just kidding that's amazing, but totally weird.
Elixir nods and grins. "Haha! Totally!" This guy was alright. Bit of a talker, but that's fine because Elixir was more of a listener anyway.

The unicorn watches as Gerry Rig flips a stack of cookies into his mouth. The way earth ponies could use their hooves always amazed him, since he used his magic for absolutely everything. "Oh, yeah, McDiver sounds familiar. Don't think I ever saw the plays though."

Forum Explorer
2013-07-05, 03:45 PM
That Arrogant... Iron Wing hesitates and looks at the other guests Unicorn. I Cannot Believe How Rude He is Being To His Guests! If He Was Not The Source Of The Best Lead I Have To The Griffon Crown I Would Surely Abandon Him Now! Iron Wing glares and is visibly flexing his claws, imagining them tearing into a certain unicorn right about now. With an effort he turns his attention back to the ponies around him and tries to calm down.

I Must Admit That I Am Unfamiliar With Equestrian Plays, Though This McDiver Sounds Interesting. Iron Wing turns to Compass Rose

The Griffon Kingdoms Are Not A True Kratocracy. However It's Long Been Been Our Belief That The Strong And Powerful Deserve Respect. And With Respect Comes Authority. These Days The Royal Family Has Lost All Respect Of The Griffons So It Is Very Possible For A Griffon Of Suitable Fame and Strength To Overthrow Them.

Emperor Ing
2013-07-05, 10:44 PM
That's more-or-less how the line of succession works back home. However when a Queen loses support they're almost immediately succeeded by a Prince or Princess. Literally it seems like the only purpose of the royal family is to keep the queen on her hooves. From what he has seen of the Equestrian monarchy, the fact that Queen-erhm Princess Celestia has maintained the fear and adoration of her subjects is an immense testament to her character. If she could dim the sun, though, that would be nice. What is it with ponies and light? Don't they realize it makes them vulnerable? So uhh...why hasn't anyone overthrown the light-ah, I mean the Royal Family already?

SiuiS
2013-07-06, 01:38 AM
You're related to McDiver?!

Gerry Rig grins, with just a touch of sheepishness. Yeah, distantly. I didn't find out until after I graduated, though. Professors took it hard on me anyway, but there was genuine pride there when I graduated top class despite the legacy. he fails to add any comment about disappointment that his celebration included three days of parties and landing his first job salted out of his mind.

So uhh...why hasn't anyone overthrown the light-ah, I mean the Royal Family already?

What? Why woul anypony want to do that? The princesses do a great job, and if they didn't they would appoint someone who could. We had, like, an entire war over that a thousand years ago. Don't they teach you guys any history at those flight schools?

Rater202
2013-07-06, 01:40 AM
Gerry Rig grins, with just a touch of sheepishness. Yeah, distantly. I didn't find out until after I graduated, though. Professors took it hard on me anyway, but there was genuine pride there when I graduated top class despite the legacy. he fails to add any comment about disappointment that his celebration included three days of parties and landing his first job salted out of his mind.

What? Why woul anypony want to do that? The princesses do a great job, and if they didn't they would appoint someone who could. We had, like, an entire war over that a thousand years ago. Don't they teach you guys any history at those flight schools?

I believe he was referring to the Griffon royal Family, who are apparently unfit to rule.

Forum Explorer
2013-07-06, 02:34 AM
I Cannot Truly Say, But I Suspect That They Are Simply Too Cowardly To Make The Attempt! Failure Would Mean Losing Everything!

Emperor Ing
2013-07-06, 06:29 AM
That's still pretty darn cool, you have to admit.

Steel Wing looks surprised by this remark. The surprise is genuine, he has nothing but respect for Equestria's Princesses. Wait....princesses? As in there's more than one of them? What? No! I have nothing but respect for Equestria's polyarchy. Roll with it. By the Queen, don't you dare not roll with it! I was talking about the Griffin royal family.

Crimson Doom
2013-07-06, 09:31 AM
Ancient Myth trots downstairs. "As fascinating as this discussion sounds, the rest of them have shown no intention of attending, so we'd best get to the briefing," he grunts. "You five had better be as good as I'm told, since you're all I have. Magnetic Lily might be able to whip you into shape, though. Perhaps."

[If I acted too soon, my apologies.]

Rater202
2013-07-06, 02:45 PM
So, Mr. Myth, I believe this is the part where you tell us exactly what you want us to do, why you want us to do it, and how much you will pay us when it's done. Am I correct?

Crimson Doom
2013-07-06, 06:02 PM
Myth grunts again, this time with faint approval. "To the point. I like that.

"As you were no doubt told in the invitation, we seek the Crown of the Griffon King. Reports of it are sketchy at best, but it was said to contain great power, enough that it could overpower Equestria even with Celestia and Luna opposing it. I doubt this, as our one record of this is written by somepony not known for historical accuracy; he also claimed that Equestria was made when some pink pony got her Cutie Mark." He snorted sardonically. "What we know for sure, however, is that it was stolen by forces unknown during the griffon invasion of Equestria, and hidden away.

"Recently, I discovered the long-lost journal of the grandcolt of Clover the Clever, who claimed to have aided in stealing the crown and mentioned that it was sealed away with five magical gemstones. He then indicated that he had hidden one of these gems inside the mountain we stand upon now.

"Your job will be to escort me to the gem, past any traps or countermeasures he may have installed. With luck, we will discover the locations of the other gems while there, and you can aid me in doing the same for those. Then we'll use it to free the crown for study.

"Your pay will be 10,000 bits each." He looks at Iron Wing. "In your case, your pay will be the crown itself, dependent on my unconditional access to it at least one day out of seven so that I may study it. Should somepony else wish for alternative payment, or have any questions, now would be an opportune time to voice them."

Rater202
2013-07-06, 06:40 PM
What if we find other treasures while locating the Gems? I assume we would get a cut?

Crimson Doom
2013-07-06, 06:43 PM
What if we find other treasures while locating the Gems? I assume we would get a cut?

"If it's just gold or other such minutae, you may keep it," he says dismissively. "If it's historically important, it goes to me, though I might be talked into alternative arrangements if necessary."

Rater202
2013-07-06, 06:56 PM
"If it's just gold or other such minutae, you may keep it," he says dismissively. "If it's historically important, it goes to me, though I might be talked into alternative arrangements if necessary."

I was thinking less the actual treasures and more profits from selling it to museums and such, but your terms are acceptable to me.

Adamant's eyes widen.

A thought occurs to me, what if the Gems are not in their stated location?

it is entirely possible that some aspiring treasure hunter or tomb raider stumbled across it already. or one could be in a Dragons Hoard, or worse, it's belly. What then?

Crimson Doom
2013-07-06, 07:16 PM
A thought occurs to me, what if the Gems are not in their stated location?

it is entirely possible that some aspiring treasure hunter or tomb raider stumbled across it already. or one could be in a Dragons Hoard, or worse, it's belly. What then?

Myth blinks, then scowls. "Possible, if unlikely. I will consider possible solutions, though I am fairly sure that nopony has found this first gem." His scowl eases up. "Primarily because his journal was written in archaic Sea Pony. I believe I am one of five ponies alive today who still speak it, and two of those are the Princesses. The odds of anypony having stumbled on it this way are remote."

Forum Explorer
2013-07-06, 07:43 PM
Iron Will has been glaring at Ancient Myth but nods when his payment is mentioned. For The Crown Those Terms Are More Then Acceptable! I Have Two Questions For You Though:

First Off Do You Have Any Clues About The Locations Of The Other Four Gems?

Second What Do These Gems Actually Look Like? I Imagine They'll Be Easy To Recognize In Some Manner!

Crimson Doom
2013-07-06, 07:48 PM
Iron Will has been glaring at Ancient Myth but nods when his payment is mentioned. For The Crown Those Terms Are More Then Acceptable! I Have Two Questions For You Though:

First Off Do You Have Any Clues About The Locations Of The Other Four Gems?

Second What Do These Gems Actually Look Like? I Imagine They'll Be Easy To Recognize In Some Manner!

Myth shakes his head even before the griffon finishes his questions. "There was no indication as to where the others are, Copper Feather, simply that they are well-hidden and somewhere in Equestria. As for their appearances..." He grimaces. "The one hidden in the mountain is a sapphire, but there was no mention as to size, shape, recognizability, or precise location within. The others I can only guess at. We'll have to test every sapphire we find in there manually."

Emperor Ing
2013-07-06, 08:35 PM
Again the bits don't concern Sicale. He's more interested in gaining some position of trust among these ponies. He's seriously considering revealing himself to them, it would certainly make things a far lot easier as well as remove a lot of this tension he's feeling. And what of these caverns in the mountain? Steel Wing asks. What can you tell us about those?

Crimson Doom
2013-07-06, 08:37 PM
And what of these caverns in the mountain? Steel Wing asks. What can you tell us about those?

"Unfortunately, the journal was lacking in details," he replies with a grimace. "I only know the location and that to gain entrance, one must speak a particular phrase in Tauran. Whatever else he may have been, Sapphire Secrets was certainly well-educated in linguistics."

Rater202
2013-07-06, 08:48 PM
*Laughs*A sapphire Gem hidden by a Pony named Sapphire?

On the Topic of finding the Gem, there are two possibilities that come to mind.

1. it is in an elaborate chamber behind a secret door at a point that is physically furthest from the entrance, behind the deadliest traps.

Or

2. in a pile of Junk next to the entrance, with the gem in the above mentioned chamber being a fake.

At least, that's how it goes in most stories and legends.

As elaborate death traps were not, many centuries ago, a cliche, the first is most likely.

So before we leave, we should probably update our wills.

Steal, there are 500 bits in my saddle bags, if I die, you may have them.

...Mines done!*Snorts in Laughter*

Emperor Ing
2013-07-06, 09:03 PM
Steel Wing looks to Adamant with a bit of surprise and alarm. He didn't seriously think this would be a deathtrap, did he? Uhh, thanks. I guess. He says, not entirely expecting Adamant to joke about his own death like that. Truth be told I don't really have much. But if I have to go, then let me just say this before we go: We're not all like them.

Crimson Doom
2013-07-06, 09:06 PM
Truth be told I don't really have much. But if I have to go, then let me just say this before we go: We're not all like them.

Myth raises an eyebrow at this odd statement, but doesn't comment on it.

Rater202
2013-07-06, 09:22 PM
Now, before we leave, I would like to have a word in private with my dear friend Steal Wind.

Is that alright?

Emperor Ing
2013-07-06, 09:54 PM
Honestly, if he hasn't figured it out by now then there's something wrong here. It's alright with me, anyways.

Crimson Doom
2013-07-06, 10:27 PM
Now, before we leave, I would like to have a word in private with my dear friend Steal Wind.

Is that alright?

Myth looks up, looking a little startled. "Hmm? Don't see why not. Use the dining room, nopony will disturb you there." He gestures in the appropriate direction.

Rater202
2013-07-06, 10:36 PM
*escorts Sicale into Dining Room, and them makes sure they are really alone*

Alright, I have noticed a few things about you. Like how you have a few strange mannerisms, or how you seem... adverse to light. Or how you seemed somewhat surprised to learn that We had more than one Princess(For the record their are currently three in Equestria proper and a fourth in the Crystal Empire). Add all that to your comment back there and there is a Question I have to ask you. Now I know your a Good...Being, and I won't think any less of you if the answer is yes, but... Are you a Changeling?

Emperor Ing
2013-07-06, 11:37 PM
Yep. There it is. The question Sicale's been waiting for since day one. He's been prepared for this kind of eventuality, when someone would eventually catch on to a few ticks or circumstantial clues and come to that conclusion. He did try his best to hide it but knew since day one that he would slip sooner or later. No matter how much training or preparation one takes, it was an inevitability any decent changeling should expect. And an eventuality every changeling should plan for, let alone an Inquisitor. Fortunately he's been aware of his slip-ups, and has long since come up with ways to explain them away that are both completely plausible and foolproof. All he needs to do is say the words. ...yeah. He confirms it, looking away a bit sheepishly.

And just so you know, I have always been Steel Wing, and I actually am pretty photosensitive. Hence, these. He gestures to his sunglasses. I seriously hope you don't think any less of me for it, though. You won't mean to, but I seriously wonder if you can ever look at Steel Wing the same way again. I know you, Adamant. You won't mean to, but...well...I wouldn't blame you. If you turned out to be someone completely different than I thought you were for months, i'd be wierded out too.

But if we're being honest, then let's get everything out there. My real name is Sicale, Inquisitor of her majesty Queen Anosta, monarch of Hive Hemiphera. I'd tell you more but I don't think this is the best place for it. Don't worry, Equestria has nothing to fear with us or me. I'm simply here to make sure we have nothing to fear from...well...the more hot-headed among you and right now I am feeling DARN good from finally getting all this off my back! Wanna see my natural form?

Rater202
2013-07-07, 12:02 AM
Well, I don't think me looking at "Steel wind" differently is going to be a problem, I've sorta suspected this since... shortly after we met. I originally wasn't going to confront you on it, but you sort of made it obvious back there.

As for seeing your real form, why not. Just*Double checks that they are still alone* Okay.

SiuiS
2013-07-07, 01:11 AM
I believe he was referring to the Griffon royal Family, who are apparently unfit to rule.

What? No! I have nothing but respect for Equestria's polyarchy. Roll with it. By the Queen, don't you dare not roll with it! I was talking about the Griffin royal family.

Oh! Uh... Gerry looks sheepish, grinning awkwardly out from under the forelock of his mane. You caught me. Sorry, it's an occupational thing. I've been dealing with the nobility long enough that... Wait, poly—

Luckily, a stuffy unicorn cuts him off and he puts down te conversational trowel before he can dig any deeper.

"Your pay will be 10,000 bits each." He looks at Iron Wing. "In your case, your pay will be the crown itself, dependent on my unconditional access to it at least one day out of seven so that I may study it. Should somepony else wish for alternative payment, or have any questions, now would be an opportune time to voice them."

Gerry shakes his head.

Myth shakes his head even before the griffon finishes his questions. "There was no indication as to where the others are, Copper Feather, simply that they are well-hidden and somewhere in Equestria. As for their appearances..." He grimaces. "The one hidden in the mountain is a sapphire, but there was no mention as to size, shape, recognizability, or precise location within. The others I can only guess at. We'll have to test every sapphire we find in there manually."

"Unfortunately, the journal was lacking in details," he replies with a grimace. "I only know the location and that to gain entrance, one must speak a particular phrase in Tauran. Whatever else he may have been, Sapphire Secrets was certainly well-educated in linguistics."

I wonder what his real name is? Gerry snickers.

*Laughs*A sapphire Gem hidden by a Pony named Sapphire?

On the Topic of finding the Gem, there are two possibilities that come to mind.

1. it is in an elaborate chamber behind a secret door at a point that is physically furthest from the entrance, behind the deadliest traps.

Or

2. in a pile of Junk next to the entrance, with the gem in the above mentioned chamber being a fake.

At least, that's how it goes in most stories and legends.

As elaborate death traps were not, many centuries ago, a cliche, the first is most likely.

So before we leave, we should probably update our wills.

Steal, there are 500 bits in my saddle bags, if I die, you may have them.

...Mines done!*Snorts in Laughter*

I'm looking forward to death traps, myself! I haven't seen many of those, and none from before the recent reprinting of Dering Doo. I can't wait to see if tey all really involve scorpions, sand and mind puzzles!

Emperor Ing
2013-07-07, 06:49 AM
Well, I don't think me looking at "Steel wind" differently is going to be a problem, I've sorta suspected this since... shortly after we met. I originally wasn't going to confront you on it, but you sort of made it obvious back there.

As for seeing your real form, why not. Just*Double checks that they are still alone* Okay.

Yeah, I kinda did made it obvious didn't I? The idea was to make a statement that would only make sense when everyling figured it out. I mean if I died, my disguise would wear off.

Anyways... He says, a ring of bright blue fire surrounding his entire body for but a moment, consuming the entirety of his Pegasus features, revealing only a strange black creature that only resembles a pony. He looks as though a cross between an insect and an alicorn specifically. Only his sunglasses remain from the pegasus from before.
Augh. You have NO idea how long i've been waiting to do that!

Beacon of Chaos
2013-07-07, 07:19 AM
"Your pay will be 10,000 bits each."[/COLOR] He looks at Iron Wing. "In your case, your pay will be the crown itself, dependent on my unconditional access to it at least one day out of seven so that I may study it. Should somepony else wish for alternative payment, or have any questions, now would be an opportune time to voice them."
Elixir raises a hoof. "Actually, I'd be interested in studying the crown too. If it's from a lost age the metals it's made of might have some interesting alchemical properties. If possible I'd also like to request time to study the crown as part of my payment," he looks from Myth to Iron Wing. "If that's fine with the two of you? I promise that any tests would be non-destructive."

Crimson Doom
2013-07-07, 08:39 AM
Elixir raises a hoof. "Actually, I'd be interested in studying the crown too. If it's from a lost age the metals it's made of might have some interesting alchemical properties. If possible I'd also like to request time to study the crown as part of my payment," he looks from Myth to Iron Wing. "If that's fine with the two of you? I promise that any tests would be non-destructive."

Myth sighs. "Under the condition that I observe what you do, I'll allow it in exchange for 50% of your pay."

Rater202
2013-07-07, 09:37 AM
Yeah, I kinda did made it obvious didn't I? The idea was to make a statement that would only make sense when everyling figured it out. I mean if I died, my disguise would wear off.

Anyways... He says, a ring of bright blue fire surrounding his entire body for but a moment, consuming the entirety of his Pegasus features, revealing only a strange black creature that only resembles a pony. He looks as though a cross between an insect and an alicorn specifically. Only his sunglasses remain from the pegasus from before.
Augh. You have NO idea how long i've been waiting to do that!

... you are a lot more ...Cuddly looking, than I expected.

We should probably get back to the others soon, before they come looking for us.

Beacon of Chaos
2013-07-07, 09:53 AM
"Under the condition that I observe what you do, I'll allow it in exchange for 50% of your pay."
Elixir nods. "That's about what I was expecting. Agreed."

Emperor Ing
2013-07-07, 01:09 PM
... you are a lot more ...Cuddly looking, than I expected.

Wat? The totally-is-a-changeling remarks, clearly surprised. He was prepared for just about every adjective, but not "cuddly." Truth be told he was kinda hoping for scary, but cuddly is certainly not the worst thing someone could have said. Are you crazy? Just look at me! I'm beautiful! Sicale strikes a pose before the incandescent turquoise flames rise around him again, bringing back Steel Wind.

Probably a good idea to head back. If anyone asks, tell them what happened here is not important. If they insist just say you wanted to be sure either one of us would help out each other's family. The fact that he says this so quickly and apparently without apparently thinking about it doesn't bode well either way one looks at it. Either way he heads back to join the others, apparently with a bit more spring in his step.

Rater202
2013-07-07, 01:21 PM
*Upon rejoining the others* Well, did we miss anything?

HotRoute
2013-07-07, 02:30 PM
Compass Rose breathes a sigh of relief when Ancient Myth makes his was obtrusively into the room. Finally, she can sit quietly and let him do all the talking.

Once the group starts talking wages and rewards, the archeologist's assistant makes her way to a table in a back room and grabs five papers; before she leaves, her ears prick up and she makes an adjustment to one using some dental dexterity and a blue quill dipped in ink. She reappears in the room with five contracts, one for each guest, matching the terms Ancient Myth just disclosed (the griffon's contract has been reworked per his request). Everypony recognizes the handwriting from the letters they received days ago bringing them to this place. She passes them around silently to each recipient, keeping the quill tight in her mouth as Elixir's contract, too, will need altering.

Compass Rose doesn't have a contract for herself. She already knows how she's being compensated; she may keep any valuable jewels, non-magical (or otherwise curious according to Ancient Myth) artifacts, or other non-mission-related objects discovered along the trek. However, instead of a recruitment purse, Compass Rose's payment has already been determined via a monthly salary. None of this is as important, of course, as Ancient Myth's letter of recommendation Compass Rose will request in two months. Getting into the illustrious Galaxy's School of New Worlds takes quite a strong resume (if only for the school to cover their own behinds when a group of students go missing on a "field trip"). The consortium incorporates some of the greatest minds of Equestria speaking on their specialization, flight lessons for fliers by the Wonderbolts, and last year even hosted Princess Luna as the keynote graduation speaker.

To be a graduate of that institution would allow Compass Rose to be a professional Equestria Explorer. Her passion for deep-sea dives, long mountain hikes, frolicking through fields, and chasing horizons would now be government-funded! Her path is clear, but not unlike her many journeys through the wilderness, it is filled with twists, turns, and traps. A particular dark-blue unicorn has been a challenge for Compass Rose for the past four months, but in time, it will all be worth it.

Forum Explorer
2013-07-07, 03:11 PM
If You Take It Out Of Ancient Myth's Time Then I Care Not What You Do, So Long As No Damage Is Done! Otherwise I'm Reluctant To Lose That Much Time When I Could Be Making Strides At Home!

Beacon of Chaos
2013-07-08, 08:22 AM
If You Take It Out Of Ancient Myth's Time Then I Care Not What You Do, So Long As No Damage Is Done! Otherwise I'm Reluctant To Lose That Much Time When I Could Be Making Strides At Home!
"My tests should only take a few days, tops. Once my analysis of the crown is done, I should be able to understand how to synthesise more of the metal to conduct tests on my own. If it is made of a rare metal, that is."

Crimson Doom
2013-07-08, 10:27 AM
Noticing the contract Rose was distributing, Myth gestures at her. "If that's all settled, sign those contracts Magnetic Lily's given you and we'll be off. We have 21.524 miles to to hike to reach our destination, and only 4.284 hours of daylight to do it by if we're to arrive there today."

Rater202
2013-07-08, 10:30 AM
*Reads Contract. Finding nothing not agreed to, Signs it*

Forum Explorer
2013-07-08, 11:33 AM
Iron Wing quickly scans the contract, and assuming he finds nothing weird he signs it.

SiuiS
2013-07-08, 12:58 PM
Alright! Lets get this show on the road! ratcheting out a nib from his apparatus, Gerry takes ink and signs.

Emperor Ing
2013-07-08, 01:27 PM
Steel Wing skims through the contract, not really interested in going over the details unless there's something unusual he could pick up. Afterwards he'll burrow someone's pen and sign it to the best of his ability, writing his name out as "Sicale" but in a script that is both written in Changlic and with really really bad penlingship. Even if Ancient Myth can read Changlic it's still really bad hoofwriting.

Beacon of Chaos
2013-07-08, 05:24 PM
Elixir takes the contract and gives it a quick read. Seeing nothing out of place, he signs it and hands it back to Compass Rose. His penmanship is horrible, but the words "Dr. ELixIr" are just about legible.

Crimson Doom
2013-07-08, 05:46 PM
Once Rose collects all the contracts, Myth grabs them, looks over the signatures briefly (Sicale notices that his eyebrow goes up when he reads over Sicale's "signature"), and sets the papers on a desk.

"Good, we're done. Follow me, everypony. Magnetic Lily, you leave last so you can lock up." And without giving anypony time to respond, he marches out the front door, his bag in telekinetic tow.

Rater202
2013-07-08, 05:50 PM
*Follows afterword, brifely pausing once out the door to adjust his saddle bag*

Emperor Ing
2013-07-08, 06:07 PM
That Ancient is a very difficult one to sense the emotions of, having nothing more than his face to go off of. Regardless Sicale sees all that he needs to, and now operates under the assumption that at the very least Ancient knows he knows Changlic. However it's more likely that Ancient has reached that logical conclusion. He wants to ease everyling into the idea of there being a changeling among them, at least. And if their employer is fine with it than everyling else should (eventually) be okay with it too.

He follows not far behind. Trying to get a whiff of ambient emotion in the air, hoping to get a quick snack for the road.

Forum Explorer
2013-07-08, 07:06 PM
Iron Wing follows quickly, eager to get started.

HotRoute
2013-07-09, 01:29 PM
The company follows Ancient Myth out the door; their excited attitude sprouts a frown on Compass Rose, who tags behind to grab a key from her light-green saddle bag.

"No Doubt There Are Many Who Wish To Partake In The Glory That This Expedition Shall Accumulate!"

"Nothing beats a good adventure."

"So before we leave, we should probably update our wills."

"I'm looking forward to death traps, myself! I haven't seen many of those, and none from before the recent reprinting of Daring Doo. I can't wait to see if tey all really involve scorpions, sand and mind puzzles!"

Please, Celestia, Compass Rose silently prays in the empty house, Please let these ponies be more serious about this quest than they are putting on. And please allow me the strength and speed to be there for them if they need me. If things go... wrong... I don't know... I can't...

The sullen pink pony flips open a dark green leaf latch on her saddle bag and goes through her items: a long hemp rope, a three empty waterskins and one full one, a lantern and oil, fishing supplies, a crowbar, a grappling hook, a few cloths of towel, quills, paper, a book, and ink, a heavy bag of marbles, flint and steel, a portable healing kit with medicines, bandages, and wraps, and two warm scarves. Compass Rose collects a large bag of trail rations from a cupboard and stuffs it into the bag, which just barely clasps closed. She struggles a bit to lift it onto her back and strap it into position. "Well," she says aloud, "hopefully I've prepared enough for everypony. It's all I can do now." She double-checks the house, takes a long heavy breath, and leaves the house, closing and locking the door behind her.

By now the party, which of course didn't wait up for her, is far down the road. "Argh, wait!" She yells sheepishly which nopony hears. Compass Rose springs off the ground to fly after them, but her heavy bag will take a bit of getting used to before she can take off at top speed. She looks up at the sun, squinting in its powerful rays, "Please protect us, Celestia."

Crimson Doom
2013-07-09, 01:47 PM
The party moves forward, but unfortunately, Gerry Rig hurts his hoof before five minutes are up. With this handicap, the party moves slowly, and they only make it out of the city by nightfall. Ancient Myth, possessed of surprising spryness today, makes no secret of his displeasure at their poor pace.

"This could be the discovery of the century," he mutters as he sets up a one-pony tent for himself. "My name would go down in the history books forever. But nooo, somepony goes and steps on a rock! No respect for the mission at all."

[If you want to RP here, feel free to do so; otherwise, roll Athletics for tomorrow's journey.]

Rater202
2013-07-09, 01:59 PM
Well, it could be worse. We could have benn stranded well outside the city limits, instead of just outside.

I was going to offer to put up a force field, but this close to the city I doubt we need it.

Emperor Ing
2013-07-09, 02:24 PM
As the darkness takes them, Steel Wind takes off his sunglasses, no longer finding a need for them. Those that haven't seen them before (which is everybody) sees amber eyes that almost appear to glow if one looks on long enough. For now though, he's at least a bit curious why they're suddenly stopping now when Gerry Rig's injury didn't stop them for the last four hours.

So uhh...any reason we're suddenly stopping?

Rater202
2013-07-09, 02:30 PM
As the darkness takes them, Steel Wind takes off his sunglasses, no longer finding a need for them. Those that haven't seen them before (which is everybody) sees amber eyes that almost appear to glow if one looks on long enough. For now though, he's at least a bit curious why they're suddenly stopping now when Gerry Rig's injury didn't stop them for the last four hours.

*Whispering*Psst. Ponies can't see in the dark.

Crimson Doom
2013-07-09, 02:31 PM

Ancient Myth gives Sicale his best "You idiot" look. "It's nightfall, you moronic morphling," he says in perfect, unaccented Changelic. "Ponies can't see in the dark."

Emperor Ing
2013-07-09, 02:41 PM
Steel Wing returns Ancient's remark with a flat Wat? Whether he's surprised a pony can speak Changlic with fluency, is surprised to learn that ponies can't see in the dark like he can, or just doesn't plain understand the chattering gibberish the aged Unicorn just spoke in is open to interpretation.

Rater202
2013-07-09, 02:43 PM
There's that language from earlier again, What is it.

Beacon of Chaos
2013-07-09, 02:50 PM
Elixir drops his equipment and begins rooting through his saddle bags. "Let's see... no, not that one, no, no, didn't even realise I'd packed this one, no, ah! Here we go."

He pulls out a bandage and a thin vial full of a blueish liquid, which he takes over to Gerry Rig. He pours the blue liquid over the bandage, which the then wraps around Gerry's injured hoof.

"Here, this will help with the swelling. You'll be fine by tomorrow morning."

He then goes about setting up camp for the night.

Crimson Doom
2013-07-09, 02:50 PM
Ancient Myth shakes his head irritably. "Try learning some languages one of these days, you might learn something," he grumps at Adamant. He then withdraws to his tent for the night, muttering in what sounds like Japaneighse.

HotRoute
2013-07-09, 02:52 PM
Compass Rose, who had been flying just above the walkers' heads coasting in the air for almost all of the trip, sets down next to Ancient Myth. "Sir, don't you think we should take it easier? These ponies aren't as used to this as we are."

Emperor Ing
2013-07-09, 02:53 PM
I dunno. Steel Wind flatly lies. Lemme just ask you all this really quick. Are you telling me you all think this is dark? He jestures to the darkness outside. To him it's not even remotely anything he would consider 'dark.' In the hive they would call this "bright illumination." From the way Steel says it, it sounds absurd to not be able to see perfectly well.

Rater202
2013-07-09, 02:55 PM
My dear friend, not all of us are as used to traveling at night as you are.

SiuiS
2013-07-09, 02:57 PM
I hope that gibberish is the start of a Light spell, Gerry Rig cuts in, because we've already lost enough time. We're going into an archaeological dig, did nopony bring a lantern?

Crimson Doom
2013-07-09, 03:01 PM
Compass Rose, who had been flying just above the walkers' heads coasting in the air for almost all of the trip, sets down next to Ancient Myth. "Sir, don't you think we should take it easier? These ponies aren't as used to this as we are."

Myth pokes his head out of his tent. "The only problem was that thrice-cursed rock. Everypony else got by just fine."

Lemme just ask you all this really quick. Are you telling me you all think this is dark? He jestures to the darkness outside. From the way Steel says it, it sounds absurd to not be able to see perfectly well.

Myth facehooves, muttering something in a harsh, guttural language.

I hope that gibberish is the start of a Light spell, Gerry Rig cuts in, because we've already lost enough time. We're going into an archaeological dig, did nopony bring a lantern?

Myth scowls at Rig. "As much as I'd love to keep going, I need my sleep and I suspect most of you do as well. Or are you an insomniac, Cherry Pig?"

HotRoute
2013-07-09, 03:07 PM
Compass Rose groans and mutters a very quiet "You're not understanding me." as he leaves her just in time for her to hear Gerry Rig's request. "Yes, Gerry Rig, I have one," she takes off her saddlebag and begins going through her items, "right here," she says, pulling it out. She begins working with it to fill it with oil and turn it out when she asks him, "How is your hoof holding up?"

SiuiS
2013-07-09, 03:23 PM
"Here, this will help with the swelling. You'll be fine by tomorrow morning."

Hey, thanks! he says, flexing the leg in question.

I dunno. Steel Wind flatly lies. Lemme just ask you all this really quick. Are you telling me you all think this is dark? He jestures to the darkness outside. To him it's not even remotely anything he would consider 'dark.' In the hive they would call this "bright illumination." From the way Steel says it, it sounds absurd to not be able to see perfectly well.

... Yep.

"Yes, Gerry Rig, I have one," she takes off her saddlebag and begins going through her items, "right here," she says, pulling it out. She begins working with it to fill it with oil and turn it out when she asks him, "How is your hoof holding up?"

I'm alright, thanks. the earth pony smiles. Nothing some blue goo and a pedicure can't fix, right Elixir?

Gerry sits for a moment, obviously unsatisfied. Compass Rose even went so far as to pull out some light, and here that McGuillicuddy is trying to pull into a tent at nightfall?! Get out of town! I mean, they were right there, on the edge of... And perfectly visib...

Huh.

Yeah, I'm kinda bushed. Gerry says, lying so clearly and openly, there's no way the stuffy unicorn could notice. But really, I'm up for continuing. You know, since thi is supposed to be secret and all. I actually kinda surprised at your aplomb, Myth! A cadre of ponies in full gear, and a griffon, take off marching and settle on the edge of open Canterlot territory? A good bluff! I bet any pony thinking o following us, or using dead reckoning to get there first, is totally going to wonder why we stopped so short and made an obvious camp with lanterns— here, Gerry produces a small bit of flame stolen from the lantern, and applies it to a small pile of branches and twigs he scoops together with his good hoof, —and a cooking fire. They'll totally second guess gettin there first even though our gear makes it obvious we are treasure hunters! Maybe.

The grinning engineer winks in the direction of Elixir and compass Rose.

Crimson Doom
2013-07-09, 04:30 PM
Yeah, I'm kinda bushed. Gerry says, lying so clearly and openly, there's no way the stuffy unicorn could notice. But really, I'm up for continuing. You know, since thi is supposed to be secret and all. I actually kinda surprised at your aplomb, Myth! A cadre of ponies in full gear, and a griffon, take off marching and settle on the edge of open Canterlot territory? A good bluff! I bet any pony thinking o following us, or using dead reckoning to get there first, is totally going to wonder why we stopped so short and made an obvious camp with lanterns— here, Gerry produces a small bit of flame stolen from the lantern, and applies it to a small pile of branches and twigs he scoops together with his good hoof, —and a cooking fire. They'll totally second guess gettin there first even though our gear makes it obvious we are treasure hunters! Maybe.

Myth scowls at Gerry. "Your sarcasm is unappreciated. ...that being said, you make a decent point, Cherry Pig. Onward, then, as soon as I take down this blasted tent." And with that, Myth starts telekinetically disassembling his tent.

Beacon of Chaos
2013-07-09, 05:30 PM
Hey, thanks!
"No problem, just take it easy for a bit."

I'm alright, thanks. Nothing some blue goo and a pedicure can't fix, right Elixir?
"That's right, haha," replied Elixir with a forced chuckle. Goo? Pedicure? This was quality stuff!

Elixir raises an eyebrow, but says nothing. Truthfully, he was kinda tired, and he'd already spent a good amount of magic on wards, expecting to be able to rest long enough to recharge. Seeing Myth agreed with Gerry though, he merely picked up his items and slung them over his back again. At least I hadn't put my tent up yet, he thought.

He also stuffs a small rock that he'd enchanted with an arcane alarm into his saddle bags. Who knows, maybe it would come in handy?

Emperor Ing
2013-07-09, 07:30 PM
I've been wanting to stretch my wings anyways. The totally-a-Pegasus remarks, looking to Ancient. Need help?

Crimson Doom
2013-07-09, 07:37 PM
I've been wanting to stretch my wings anyways. The totally-a-Pegasus remarks, looking to Ancient. Need help?

Myth magically snaps the tent closed just as Sicale asks his question, then proceeds to put it into his bag. He doesn't dignify the question with a response.

Emperor Ing
2013-07-09, 07:45 PM
Steel rolls his eyes. Partially wondering whether Ancient doesn't like him because he's a Changeling (which he knows Ancient knows) or he's just one of those ponies who just doesn't like anyling. Steel thinks it's the latter. Everyli-aah, Everypony ready to go?

Forum Explorer
2013-07-10, 12:00 AM
Good! No Sense In Wasting Time! I Know That I Can Travel For Much Further Yet!

SiuiS
2013-07-10, 12:39 AM
Just... One... Minute!

Gerry Rig proceeds with his plan, having dumped most of his travel supplies while the unicorn was packing (This includes a tent, camp cooking supplies, and a soft-packed tool kit). Now, he proceeded, to nopony's surprise, Gerry-rig something from them. What were at one point emergency swim bladders or water skins were now bespoked with rounds of twig an twine and of course, duct tape, stabilizing a central body made of lashed fishing poles and steered by a camp shovel rudder. The back was one giant, frankensteinian wing of tarp and frame, and a single hook say above the driver's seat, on Which Gerry Rig took and hung the single lantern with a Thank you, madam. Much obliged!, revealing a remarkably effective swamp light when one considered it was cobbled together from a single cooling pan and a web of silverware, polishe to an almost absurd shine.

Nopony wants to walk, right? All aboard!

((Using Create Crazy Contraption; Vehicle))

Emperor Ing
2013-07-10, 08:01 AM
Sicale's heard the rumors. That Earth Ponies had access to powers the likes of which no pony, changeling, alicorn demigod, or eldrich elder deity should ever hope to understand with their sanity intact. To see such powers in use, well...it's easiest to say that the totally-not-a-Changeling is utterly floored. Wh-th-upth-uth-uuuh..wha...s-s...Celestia...where did THAT come from?!

Crimson Doom
2013-07-10, 08:04 AM
"Star Swirl's beard..." Myth stares for a moment, before shaking his head. "If this falls apart and injures me, you're covering my hospital bill." And with that, he climbs in and finds the most comfortable seat.

Beacon of Chaos
2013-07-10, 08:26 AM
Elixir watches Gerry Rig create a mechanical marvel with his hooves in the same time it would have taken the unicorn to do something similar with his best magic. It was incredible.

"I call front seat!"

"If this falls apart and injures me, you're covering my hospital bill."
"Forget the hospital. My rates are very competitive," says Elixir with a wry grin.

HotRoute
2013-07-10, 11:58 AM
An amazed Compass Rose sits on the ground, her jaw holding the lantern slightly dropped. She really had wanted to stop; these ponies' ambition is going to tire them out quickly and nothing is worse than being caught exhausted in the dark with no protection. The pegasus barely notices when the lantern is plucked from her mouth. Well... with this contraption, that's all out the window. We can get our sleep on the move. "Gerry Rig," she asks meekly, snapping from her daze, "Thank you. But do you think we can still, maybe half of us, at a time maybe, sleep while on this... um, thing?" She eases herself into one of the back seats.

Rater202
2013-07-10, 12:15 PM
*Shrugs*

Okay then, guess we clime on or something.

*does so*

Emperor Ing
2013-07-10, 12:23 PM
Uhh....sure. I guess. Don't you DARE say "what's the worst that could happen!" Steel Wing climbs on board as well.

SiuiS
2013-07-10, 06:59 PM
Don't worry, it's not a death trap. Gerry scowls. Honestly, it's as if some ponies had never seen a conglomeration of household items made into a wind powered personnel transport before! And it won't carry us all the way – we are bound to hit rough terrain. But it will make up for lost time while i mend my hoof, and we'll be able to set camp again in ten, fifteen minutes tops. You can get some rest, but I would suggest holding on!

With that, Gerry Rig flicks the rudder into "on" and takes off, much faster than a contraption made of coffee pots and string has any right to, powered by the panicked flapping of any freaked out winged party members.

Forum Explorer
2013-07-10, 08:45 PM
I'll Fly! I Could Use The Stretch After All Of That Walking! Besides It Looks Like You'll Need Some Wind To Power That Contraption Of Yours!

Going to use Weather Manipulation to keep a decent wind behind the contraption to push it along.

Rater202
2013-07-11, 03:19 PM
So, how far do will this take us?

SiuiS
2013-07-11, 10:04 PM
I dunno, but hold on while we go!

Crimson Doom
2013-07-12, 07:27 AM
Once everypony (and changeling) has clambered into the machine, Iron Wing begins powering the machine with a convenient wind and they're off!

It's a rattly, bumpy ride, and you all are rather glad this thing comes with seat belts; otherwise, there'd be a very big chance of falling out. Myth in particular looks very rattled, though he still manages to create magical arrows to direct the path they need to take.

After about nine minutes of off-road driving, the machine begins to audibly crack, prompting Iron Wing to stop powering it and everypony (and ling) to clamber out. The contraption then falls apart with the sound of crashing wood, the clattering of metal, and a screeching cat for some reason. After the dust settles, a tire made of wire rolls past the party before falling over.

"...excuse me," Myth says weakly, before finding the nearest bush and throwing up in it.

SiuiS
2013-07-12, 08:30 AM
See? Spared the shocks and saved us a good five miles! Plus, I bet you all appreciate the ground a lot more now, eh? Bonus! Gerry Rig is smiling that eye-twinkling smile that makes it hazy whether he believes all that and is truly happy, or if he's yanking your fetlocks.

Still, as is only proper, he helps everypony set up their camping gear, starting with Compass Rose, and then moving on to Elixir and what remains of his silly magic picture things. (Alarm runes? Camp wards? Stick figured, pony. Weird ones.)

Alright! And I volunteer for first watch! The rest of you, all go get some sleep.

Emperor Ing
2013-07-12, 09:29 AM
Yeah um, let's...not do that again. 'kay? Steel hazily asks, his brain still rattled from the ride. Twice he considered bolting, and he's still convinced the thing was designed to shake up passengers on purpose. Well...maybe "designed" isn't the right word to describe how that ramshackle contraption was conceived of then somehow put together.

Still, when the idea of sleep is presented he doesn't hesitate to take them up on it, having exhausted himself in fear from just a minute ago. He makes a basic shelter from some of the scrap left behind from the...contraption and goes to sleep. Sicale isn't worried about his disguise, since sleeping won't disrupt it. Only death, serious injury, or dispelling it will remove a disguise. In addition to possibly some spells he is unfamiliar with.

Rater202
2013-07-12, 11:25 AM
or, Instead of watching it all, I could put up a force field. That should last a few hours while we sleep, and if we don't have to wake each other up, then we all get rested in less time, and thus don't we make better time tomorrow.

SiuiS
2013-07-12, 11:59 AM
i don't know if that's how it works, but if you want buddy, I won't stop you. Gerry says skeptically.

Rater202
2013-07-12, 12:10 PM
All right then.*Starts Casting Shield spell.*

A 70 foot diameter spherical shield appears around the camp.

Forum Explorer
2013-07-12, 03:39 PM
Iron Wing smirks as he watches Ancient Myth throwing up. When he hears that Adamant is putting up a shield he quickly races up into the sky, grabs a nearby cloud and pulls it back down to the camp site. Good Night! Iron Wing says laying down on the cloud and going to sleep.

Beacon of Chaos
2013-07-12, 06:22 PM
Elixir steps out of the cart, wobbly and slightly nauseous, but otherwise fine.

"That was fun! Kinda scary, but fun!" He slumps down on the ground. "Hah, everything still feels like it's shaking."

He sets up a tent and unrolls a sleeping bag. Before turning in for the night, he carefully places the alarm rock in the centre of the shield spell.

"Goodnight!"

He goes into his tent, where he pulls out his notebook and writes for a while.

Crimson Doom
2013-07-12, 09:50 PM
Myth finally finishes vomiting and staggers over to Gerry Rig.

"Never. Again."

And with that, he starts setting up his tent, though his magic looks a little wobbly.

"Good thinking, Vibranium Armor," he says when he notices the force field going up. "...in fact, if we could do that, why didn't we do it before the joyride in that ramshackle contraption?" He glares at Gerry (even though it couldn't possibly be his fault).

Emperor Ing
2013-07-12, 10:03 PM
Let's just get some sleep, okay? We can work out where to put forcefields tomorrow.

HotRoute
2013-07-12, 10:21 PM
Compass Rose steps lightly off the contraption, significantly less dizzy and sick than her partners. Flying through storms will help you with motion sickness. Still, she's tired, and she's not sure the extra mile-and-a-half was exactly worth it. The pegasus helps set up camp, and is relieved to see the force field go up; usually, on her own, she's left to fend for herself, which means sleeping silently in the dark with little protection. She's quiet throughout the night as the company sets up to sleep.

Rater202
2013-07-13, 01:06 AM
Myth finally finishes vomiting and staggers over to Gerry Rig.

"Never. Again."

And with that, he starts setting up his tent, though his magic looks a little wobbly.

"Good thinking, Vibranium Armor," he says when he notices the force field going up. "...in fact, if we could do that, why didn't we do it before the joyride in that ramshackle contraption?" He glares at Gerry (even though it couldn't possibly be his fault).

I can Only Cast the Spell once a day, and I can't move it once it's up, So all doing it before the Joy Ride would have done is waste the spell, and make us crash into my my shield.

...And my name is Adamant Shield, it's not that hard to remember adamant as in diamond, shield as in shield it's my Cutie Mark for land's sake

Emperor Ing
2013-07-13, 07:11 AM
Steel Wing smirks to himself, still amused by Ancient's inability to remember ponies' names. He thinks he himself will be referred to as Diseased Booze.

Crimson Doom
2013-07-13, 02:41 PM
I can Only Cast the Spell once a day, and I can't move it once it's up, So all doing it before the Joy Ride would have done is waste the spell, and make us crash into my my shield.

...And my name is Adamant Shield, it's not that hard to remember adamant as in diamond, shield as in shield it's my Cutie Mark for land's sake

Ignoring Shield's muttered objection, Myth replies, "The only reason we went ON that joyride was to avoid bandits and the like. If you had a force field the whole time, we didn't need to go on that... thing in the first place!" And for good measure, he sends another glare Gerry's way before going back to setting up his tent.

Rater202
2013-07-13, 02:55 PM
Ignoring Shield's muttered objection, Myth replies, "The only reason we went ON that joyride was to avoid bandits and the like. If you had a force field the whole time, we didn't need to go on that... thing in the first place!" And for good measure, he sends another glare Gerry's way before going back to setting up his tent.

I believe that I mentioned my force-field back when we were setting up the previous camp.

and we were literally right out side the city, I doubt bandits would br stupid enough to rob someone when the are that close to help

And Gerry Rig offered his contraption to make up for lost time, not to avoid bandits.

SiuiS
2013-07-13, 10:13 PM
No worries, ponies! If Ancient Myth can't handle X-treme Jill boarding, well, no one will hold it against him. Street looge isn't for the faint of heart!

The camp sleeps. An earth pony opens one eye shibin like a coin in the dark, and grabs a bundle. Sneakily, it moves to the very periphery of the camp, farthest from griffon clouds and snooty scholars.

A camp chair unfolds, refills, and defied logic in its construction. Some ice, carefully preserved from the kitchen. A splash of salt, pineapple, and bitters. The hand-cranked blender, well piled to prevent as much noise as possible, chews into it all like a hungry party pony testing a new cupcake recipe.

Gerry Rig sips a ponya colada out of a coconut half, having fixed up a teeny ump tells from some woven grass and a metal rod. Through a sheet of magic green glass, he watches the stars, letting the hours turn away. A hoof comes up, drink in hand, as stays there.

This one's for you, you crazy unicorn. a sip, and then he upturns the coconut. But, it's time to move on, Schema. To new adventures. Good night, and sweet dreams.

A drop of pride rolls to the ground in shadow, and an earth pony crawls slowly into a cot, off to sleep.

Rater202
2013-07-14, 06:47 PM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

*Is sleeping*

Crimson Doom
2013-07-17, 08:41 AM
The next day, you all make spectacular time thanks to Iron Wing's seemingly limitless energy; he even carries one or two of you for short periods of time up steep slopes, drastically cutting down on travel time. Myth doesn't seem to enjoy the sensation of flight, but does appear to appreciate the saved time.

Eventually, you reach a nondescript section of the cliff that Myth claims is the place.

"Just need to find that place with the carvings," he mutters, peering closely at several of the larger rocks.

"Ah!" Looking slightly smug, Myth causes his horn to glow a deep blue, prompting one of the rocks to shimmer and reveal several carvings in some bizarre, loopy language.

"Shoo be doo, shoo shoo be doo," he begins. "Glu me noo, wu juu se foo. Buu doo flu, ge fe de dru."

And with that stream of apparent nonsense, the carvings start glowing a bright blue. The blue then expands over the rock face, then vanishes, leaving a passageway where the rock face used to be.

The passageway looks like any normal cave... well, any normal cave that has softly-glowing, rune-carved sapphires embedded deeply in every wall. Those with better vision can just barely see a door at the end of the passageway.

"You first," Myth says curtly. "Get in quickly so I can shut the gate behind us."

SiuiS
2013-07-17, 09:13 AM
Alright, but if I'm hit by a trap...

Gerry Rig moves swiftly, with almost soldierly precision, past the rest of the troupe, bravely (with a little knee-knocking) into the entrance, far enough to leave room for the rest of the group to come in behind him. Once there, he begins rummaging through his saddlebags.

Crimson Doom
2013-07-17, 09:20 AM
Gerry Rig finds that the sapphires provide more than enough light to see inside his saddlebags.

Also, he does not get hit by a trap.

Emperor Ing
2013-07-17, 10:21 AM
Steel Wind lands from his flying and walks in. The dim lighting provided by the sapphires is something he'd also consider to be "bright illumination." As such he wouldn't be affected by the darkness. Hey everypony I think I see a door ahead.

Rater202
2013-07-17, 10:38 AM
Adamant Shield heads in in what He considers to be a defensive position.

SiuiS
2013-07-17, 10:38 AM
Gerry finishes in his bag, pulling on a skin-suit of padding and insulation before overlaying it with a coat of armor; burnished bands of fortified bronze-like material overlaying armored patches of cloth and metal, smoothly articulated to protect while allowing flexibility. He pulls on a helmet, last, with a face covering breather and protective glass film; workmare's gear.

References
http://th04.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2011/344/d/f/dead_space_twilight_sparkle_by_jenthethirdgal-d4ip277.jpg
http://th04.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/125/3/b/clarkshy_without_plasma_cutter_by_halfdeathshadow-d4yhr8l.png

Alright, he says, stretching into the suit's form, Let's do this!

HotRoute
2013-07-17, 11:49 AM
"Sh-shut the gate behind us?" Compass Rose asks, raising a hoof to her mouth, "Are you sure that is the best idea?" Regardless of the answer (or if there is an answer), Compass Rose timidly follows near the back of the group carefully examining the sapphires in the walls. Are there any irregularily large sapphires? Is there a pattern to the gems in the walls (and if so, is there a break in the pattern)? Do any of the sapphires appear to have been touched or displaced?

Crimson Doom
2013-07-17, 11:53 AM
Myth waves a hoof dismissively. "I can open and close it at will, as can anypony fluent in Sea Pony. Everypony else I know who knows Sea Pony are off trying to find them in the middle of the ocean. All that being true, it would be exceptionally idiotic to leave the door open so that anypony can just walk in."

Roll Perception for the sapphires thing.

Emperor Ing
2013-07-17, 12:02 PM
Is that what that was? Steel replies, legitimately surprised that that...singing...was an actual language. He sincerely thought that at first he was just being silly, then he reasoned that the password to open the door was just made to be extremely counterintuitive.

In the meantime he looks over at the sapphires, sort of appraising their worth.

Perception
[roll0]

Crimson Doom
2013-07-17, 12:06 PM
Is that what that was? Steel replies, legitimately surprised that that...singing...was an actual language. He sincerely thought that at first he was just being silly, then he reasoned that the password to open the door was just made to be extremely counterintuitive.

In the meantime he looks over at the sapphires, sort of appraising their worth.

Perception
[roll0]

Myth facehooves but does not respond further.

The sapphires are all fairly sizable, and the fact that they glow probably bumps their value up a fair bit as magical curiosities or a way for non-unicorns to have glowy thingies for when they're out walking in the dark. But they're also embedded pretty good into the wall; actually getting them out would be a pain. Not impossible, but very difficult.

HotRoute
2013-07-17, 03:41 PM
"But... but..." Compass Rose tries to lock eyes with Ancient Myth, but he isn't looking at her and she isn't confident enough to stare him down. But what if somepony else needs to open the door? is what she wanted to ask, but as nopony seemed concerned, she didn't. "....okay."

[roll0]

Crimson Doom
2013-07-17, 03:45 PM
"But... but..." Compass Rose tries to lock eyes with Ancient Myth, but he isn't looking at her and she isn't confident enough to stare him down. But what if somepony else needs to open the door? is what she wanted to ask, but as nopony seemed concerned, she didn't. "....okay."

[roll0]

The gems are somewhat mismatched in size and location, but not overly so. They're all of a size you could comfortably hold in your hoof, and you think that they're placed in such a way as to maximize light dispersal. Given that they're embedded in the wall, you're pretty sure they've not been moved, especially as you see no conspicuous holes or anything.

Beacon of Chaos
2013-07-17, 03:50 PM
Alright, he says, stretching into the suit's form, Let's do this!
"Okay... What the hay are wearing? I've never seen anything like it." asks Elixir.

The unicorn wanders in with the rest of the group, looking at the sapphires with interest.

Perception: [roll0]

Crimson Doom
2013-07-17, 03:51 PM
The unicorn wanders in with the rest of the group, looking at the sapphires with interest.

Perception: [roll0]

The sapphires are glowing and embedded into the walls. They're all sized such that you could comfortably hold one in a hoof, if you could get it out of the wall.

Emperor Ing
2013-07-17, 03:53 PM
Steel looks to Elixir, offering some quick advice. At this point you should consider reconfiguring your perceptions of reality to accomodate Gerry if you want to come out of this sane. With that, he starts walking towards the other door slowly, careful not to trigger any traps.

Crimson Doom
2013-07-17, 03:55 PM
Steel looks to Elixir, offering some quick advice. At this point you should consider reconfiguring your perceptions of reality to accomodate Gerry if you want to come out of this sane. With that, he starts walking towards the other door slowly, careful not to trigger any traps.

As you approach the door, you see that it has several glowing blue runes painted onto its steel surface. Otherwise, it looks like a normal door.

Rater202
2013-07-17, 04:04 PM
*Walks toward the Door*

Perception roll for anything suspicious
Their is something wrong with the Die rolling Program, it's showing the thing I put in, not the result of the roll, going to try in the OOC thread.

Emperor Ing
2013-07-17, 04:08 PM
The totally-not-a-Changeling looks at the runes, keeping his distance for obvious reasons. He knows a fair bit about magic. Not a lot, but he searches his mind nontheless to see if any of these runes are recognizable or if they form a pattern he's familiar with. Hopefully to discern their function and use.

Arcana
[roll0]

Rater202
2013-07-17, 04:29 PM
*at the door now*

Did anypony else notice that nothing in here casts a shadow?

*Sees runes*

What do we have here?

arcana
[roll0]

Crimson Doom
2013-07-17, 04:31 PM
*at the door now*

*Sees runes*

What do we have here?

arcana
[roll0]

You see several runes to protect the door against extreme temperatures, rust, and such. You also see four runes meant to send alarms to unknown recipients.

HotRoute
2013-07-17, 04:31 PM
The door slams shut behind the party; perhaps it doesn't slam, but the deafening silence of being suddenly locked inside the cave is louder than anything these ponies have ever heard. The rose-colored pony suddenly stops as her stomach drops and breath is taken from her lungs.

Large boulders and cave debris begin to tumble down from the tunnel ceiling.

"Let's go! We need to get out of here NOW!!" Compass Rose darts through the air between the crashing rock walls, trying to see through the wreckage, but quickly, a wall of rocks forms in the passageway.

Compass Rose snaps back to reality. She races to Ancient Myth's side with an inked quill in her mouth and paper ready on the ground. "Sir, wha' was tha' passwer' to ope' the de'r?"

Crimson Doom
2013-07-17, 04:38 PM
"Shoo be doo, shoo shoo be doo," he says impatiently and quickly. "Glu me noo, wu juu se foo. Buu doo flu, ge fe de dru. Now can we focus on what's actually relevant? Is that door safe or not?" This last is directed to the crowd around the door.

Rater202
2013-07-17, 04:42 PM
there are a few wards to keep it from being damaged, some alarms, and something here that I can't make out, something about badgers.

Crimson Doom
2013-07-17, 04:47 PM
there are a few wards to keep it from being damaged, some alarms, and something here that I can't make out, something about badgers.

Myth gives Shield his best "you MUST be kidding me" look. "Badgers." He shakes his head disgustedly. "I knew he was an easily-distracted eccentric, but WHAT in TARTARUS could he POSSIBLY want with a BADGER?!"

And then a sandwich appears and impales itself on his horn, leaking red jelly.

"...what."

Emperor Ing
2013-07-17, 04:54 PM
Apparently he was also pretty hungry. Sicale mutters to himself, though Adamant, being right next to him, could probably hear it. If I were to hazard a guess i'd say the alarms are to warn the other...uhh...places...where the gems are being kept...that somepony is gathering them. There's four here, I believe each corresponds to a similar chamber. I expect we'd see at least three of these runes being used in a similar fashion elseware, largely for the same purpose.

Since we have no way of contacting them ourselves, I think we should try disabling the alarms unless we want to deal with the headache later of whatever lays in wait being ready for us.

HotRoute
2013-07-17, 05:17 PM
Compass Rose is quite surprised that Ancient Myth actually respected her request. "Shoo be doo... shoo shoo..." the filly carefully transcribes the language, then keeps the password in her saddlebag. "Shoo be doo shoo shoo be doo..." she quietly mutters the phrases to herself, trying her best to drill it into her memory.

Emperor Ing
2013-07-17, 05:29 PM
Also i'm kind of hungry too. He looks up as if preparing to catch something. Badger.

Forum Explorer
2013-07-17, 05:35 PM
Iron Wing has mostly been silent for a change, looking intently around for any clues he might be able to use. At the same time he tries to remember if any of his stories mentioned something about this location.

Perception [roll0]

History [roll1]

Arcana [roll2]

Crimson Doom
2013-07-17, 05:42 PM
Also i'm kind of hungry too. He looks up as if preparing to catch something. Badger.

A sandwich appears in midair and waits patiently for Sicale to grab it.

Iron Wing has mostly been silent for a change, looking intently around for any clues he might be able to use. At the same time he tries to remember if any of his stories mentioned something about this location.

Perception [roll0]

History [roll1]

Arcana [roll2]

You notice little except the many stones in the walls and ceiling (accounting for the lack of shadows that Shield noticed); the door, filled with ancient runes that seem mostly for protection and/or alarms; and a faint snickering when Myth got sandwiched.

As for stories, you don't know much about the location, but you do recall a little bit about the grandson of Clover the Clever. Rich, eccentric, and fun-loving, but also inherited a fair bit of magical prowess from his grandmother. You seem to recall he had died in a magical accident.

Emperor Ing
2013-07-17, 06:08 PM
Although he expected it, Steel Wing is nontheless absolutely thrilled to see one appear on command. It summons sandwiches! Best door ever! Well...second-best. If the door summoned chocolate or crystallized love...aww what are you doing? Count your blessings.

Steel Wing grabs the sandwich and proceeds to happily eat it, sitting on his haunches while doing so.

Crimson Doom
2013-07-17, 06:09 PM
Steel Wing grabs the sandwich and proceeds to eat it, sitting on his haunches while doing so.

The sandwich tastes alright; it's not phenomenal or anything, but it's filling, with enough taste to be worth eating. Rather akin to the prepackaged sandwiches that college students eat so much of.

Rater202
2013-07-17, 07:16 PM
*Shrugs* Why not. he-hem "Badger!"

Crimson Doom
2013-07-17, 08:28 PM
A sandwich appears and floats in midair next to Shield, prompting a disgruntled grumble from Myth as he removes the first sandwich from his horn.

Rater202
2013-07-17, 08:31 PM
Nom, is a goo anich

Forum Explorer
2013-07-17, 08:33 PM
Amusing As This Is We Aren't Making Any Progress. Any Ideas? Iron Wing says with a smirk on his beak.

Crimson Doom
2013-07-17, 08:35 PM
Amusing As This Is We Aren't Making Any Progress. Any Ideas? Iron Wing says with a smirk on his beak.

"Well, we have to disable the alarm first. Any signs of traps for those meddling with the runes?" Myth asks briskly, tossing the sandwich over his shoulder in such a manner that it splats on Iron Wing's foot.

Rater202
2013-07-17, 08:37 PM
*finishes sandwich* Nothing I could pick up, did you see anything, Steal?

Emperor Ing
2013-07-17, 09:27 PM
Steel ate his sandwich a bit more slowly, nibbling the crust off the edge (arguably one of the best part of it) before going for the middle. He then looks up at Adamant and Myth talking about the runes. He shakes his head at the question regarding whether or not he could find any traps triggered by tampering with the runes, quickly swallowing his current bite and replying with his own thoughts. I don' thhhink so. Jus' disable th' alarms an' we'd be good. Mebee.

Crimson Doom
2013-07-17, 09:29 PM
Myth nods. "If any of you are magic experts, take over. If not, I'll disable them."

Rater202
2013-07-17, 09:35 PM
Well, I'm more of a Combat expert, but I could give it a Shot

Arcana [roll0]

SiuiS
2013-07-18, 12:33 AM
"Okay... What the hay are wearing? I've never seen anything like it." asks Elixir.

Armor. Modified hazard site engineering suit, good for cave-ins, collapsing infrastructure, tight spots, trap detection and disarming, and looking awesome!

Perception roll for anything suspicious
Their is something wrong with the Die rolling Program, it's showing the thing I put in, not the result of the roll, going to try in the OOC thread.

((You cannot edit a dice roll into a post and you cannot preview a dice roll. Best bet is to make the roll first and put your post around it afterwards))

*at the door now*

Gerry canvases the tunnel, occasionally flicking out a set of lenses or a metal prod from his forehoof and using them to investigate. It makes sense. The low ambient lighting is enough to see by in complete darkness like this, but the soft glow doesn't form hard light/dark barriers. Add that to the multiple sources and you have complete removal of liminal boundaries.

The earth pony's tone is far away, like he's reciting memorized information while doing something else.

Apparently he was also pretty hungry. Sicale mutters to himself, though Adamant, being right next to him, could probably hear it. If I were to hazard a guess i'd say the alarms are to warn the other...uhh...places...where the gems are being kept...that somepony is gathering them. There's four here, I believe each corresponds to a similar chamber. I expect we'd see at least three of these runes being used in a similar fashion elseware, largely for the same purpose.

Since we have no way of contacting them ourselves, I think we should try disabling the alarms unless we want to deal with the headache later of whatever lays in wait being ready for us.

Gerry nods. Good call. What is the setup? Is it purely magical, or is there a hardware component? I wanna try and see if we can deduce the circuitry and see where the signals go, if the latter.

Failing that we can kick the door down. What do you see, Shield?

Beacon of Chaos
2013-07-18, 04:52 AM
Elixir says little. He's content simply copying the runes on the sapphires and door down into his note book, the faint glow from the jewels being just enough to see by.

Eventually, he puts the notebook away and focuses on the door, trying to determine how to disable the runes, if possible.

Arcana: [roll0]

Crimson Doom
2013-07-18, 10:48 AM
As Shield focuses his magic on the door and starts trying to cut the alarms, he feels several magical currents along the alarms, causing the alarm runes to briefly flash various colors: one white, another black, a third green, and the last red. He does manage to shut down the alarm after this, however.

Rater202
2013-07-18, 11:00 AM
Okay, the Alarms are off, but they flashed different colors before they went off completely.

Mr.Myth, do you know what the other four gems are? I think the with the colors, that the alarms are supposed to let somepony at the other locations no that someone is in here.

the colors are white black green and red, dose that sound like the other gems?

Crimson Doom
2013-07-18, 11:04 AM
Okay, the Alarms are off, but they flashed different colors before they went off completely.

Mr.Myth, do you know what the other four gems are? I think the with the colors, that the alarms are supposed to let somepony at the other locations no that someone is in here.

the colors are white black green and red, dose that sound like the other gems?

Myth frowns. "Possibly. Sapphire was much more forthcoming about his gem than about any of the others. But I doubt he'd have any reason to warn anypony that wasn't involved with the gems. Can you trace the signals?"

Rater202
2013-07-18, 11:51 AM
Myth frowns. "Possibly. Sapphire was much more forthcoming about his gem than about any of the others. But I doubt he'd have any reason to warn anypony that wasn't involved with the gems. Can you trace the signals?"

I don't think they actually went off, but maybe...

Arcana roll
[roll0]

Crimson Doom
2013-07-18, 11:55 AM
I don't think they actually went off, but maybe...

Arcana roll
[roll0]

You figure out that yes, the signals were sent out. You don't recognize all of the locations (roll History for that), but you definitely recognize that one signal went to the Crystal Empire and another to the Everfree Forest.

Forum Explorer
2013-07-18, 12:14 PM
Red, Black, Green, And White? I Think That Likely Refers To The Other Gemstones In The Crown.

Do I need to make a history roll to confirm what gemstones were in the crown? Just in case.

History: [roll0]

Rater202
2013-07-18, 12:30 PM
You figure out that yes, the signals were sent out. You don't recognize all of the locations (roll History for that), but you definitely recognize that one signal went to the Crystal Empire and another to the Everfree Forest.

Okay, the Alarms did go off. Two of the signals went out to the Crystal Empire, and the Everfree Forrest, but to of them I need to think about for a minute.

History roll, [roll0]

Crimson Doom
2013-07-18, 12:44 PM
Red, Black, Green, And White? I Think That Likely Refers To The Other Gemstones In The Crown.

Do I need to make a history roll to confirm what gemstones were in the crown? Just in case.

History: [roll0]

The gems actually have nothing to do with the crown; they're attributed to the thieves, not the crown, and their only relationship to the crown is as the keys to get the crown.

Okay, the Alarms did go off. Two of the signals went out to the Crystal Empire, and the Everfree Forrest, but to of them I need to think about for a minute.

History roll, [roll0]

You know one of them as being a mountain, but you're not sure if it's a significant mountain; all you know is that it's not in the Canterlot range. The other you're not sure about, but you get a distinct impression of brimstone.

Emperor Ing
2013-07-18, 12:46 PM
Let me have a look at that. Steel Wing says after finishing his sandwich, looking over at what used to be the alarms and seeing if he can't make a connection.

Arcana (if necessary)
[roll0]
History
[roll1]

Wow. From now on i'm the Arcana guy. :smallconfused:

Crimson Doom
2013-07-18, 12:50 PM
Let me have a look at that. Steel Wing says after finishing his sandwich, looking over at what used to be the alarms and seeing if he can't make a connection.

Arcana (if necessary)
[roll0]
History
[roll1]

Wow. From now on i'm the Arcana guy. :smallconfused:

In addition to what Shield noticed, you identify the mountain as being one of the mountains that migrating dragons hang out around (you also get the coordinates). As for the brimstone place, you manage to identify that as Tartarus. Unfortunately, you have no idea where the entrance to Tartarus is.

Rater202
2013-07-18, 12:51 PM
The gems actually have nothing to do with the crown; they're attributed to the thieves, not the crown, and their only relationship to the crown is as the keys to get the crown.

You know one of them as being a mountain, but you're not sure if it's a significant mountain; all you know is that it's not in the Canterlot range. The other you're not sure about, but you get a distinct impression of brimstone.
*Adamant Shares this information*
((ooc. I am starting to get tired of repeating what's already been said. From now on, this is how I will share little tidbits of information if their are no roleplaying opportunities in sharing.))

Emperor Ing
2013-07-18, 12:57 PM
Yeah...okay. Bad news. He turns back to the group. One of the alarms seems to have gone off on pretty much the dragon equivalent of Las Pegasus. You know, up in the mountains? Popular dragon migration rest-stop? I can point it to you on a map. Also...uhh...how does everypony feel about marching into the jaws of Tartarus? I mean literally? Because one of the alarms went off in there, and I am willing to wager that is where one of the gems would be as well.

Rater202
2013-07-18, 01:03 PM
Yeah...okay. Bad news. He turns back to the group. One of the alarms seems to have gone off on pretty much the dragon equivalent of Las Pegasus. You know, up in the mountains? Popular dragon migration rest-stop? I can point it to you on a map. Also...uhh...how does everypony feel about marching into the jaws of Tartarus? I mean literally? Because one of the alarms went off in there, and I am willing to wager that is where one of the gems would be as well.

I vote the we Find the gem in Tartarus last, is every pony okay with that?

Emperor Ing
2013-07-18, 01:04 PM
I totally second that motion! The Pegasus* blurts out.

Rater202
2013-07-18, 01:13 PM
Now,it seems to me that when we are done here, we should head to ponyville. It's about a days train ride from Canterlot, it's right next to the Everfree, which if I am not mistaken is the location of one of the Gems, and When Cerberus went missing a while back, he showed up there before being returned, so somepony there might have been the to return him. If that's the case, they would know the location of the entrance of Tartarus.

Assuming we get out of here alive, that is.

HotRoute
2013-07-18, 01:46 PM
"Tar-tar-tartaus!?" Compass Rose breaks from her seapony chanting just in time. This is way beyond the scope of projects Ancient Myth normally looks into. Is he biting off more than he can chew? "Are-are you sure about that?" Compass Rose stammers, "I mean, I don't doubt your insight, I just... I'd hate to get all the way down there and not find it! Ehh heh heh..." She says with the weakest forced smile ever. If these ponies think they are capable of exploring Tartarus, they have another thing coming. That's a job for Equestrian Armed Horses, or worse, a Princess.

Crimson Doom
2013-07-18, 02:03 PM
Myth huffs. "Makes sense to me. Hide a gem precisely in the place where no sane pony would go. Even those who are brave enough to go there may not escape. Best security system short of a celestial vault."

Emperor Ing
2013-07-18, 02:12 PM
Let's...worry about that later. You know, save the best for last? Heh-heh. He nervously laughs. I mean i'm sure we can give some dragons the slip, unless one of them already found it and added it to their hoard...ugh.

Rater202
2013-07-18, 02:26 PM
Let's...worry about that later. You know, save the best for last? Heh-heh. He nervously laughs. I mean i'm sure we can give some dragons the slip, unless one of them already found it and added it to their hoard...ugh.

I just hope that we don't get all the way there just to learn that a dragon ate it.

So, should we work out a system for what order we go after the gems next? personally I think the Everfree Might be the best bet, seeing as how it's closest to this one. The Crystal empire would be my next target, but there may be some issues getting into the Empire Proper*Briefly looks to Sicale*So Dragon mountain may be easier, though definitely not safer. Seeing How the Only folks who know were Tartarus is are the Princesses, the who ever retrieved Cerberus, possibly the guards stationed in the area, and maybe certain Scholars, not to mention how dangerous it is guaranteed to be, we should probably do that one last.

By the Way, Does anypony Here Know who returned Cerberus to the Gates of Tartarus? it would be Easy if we knew, we could just track them down and ask, though we may have to bribe them, or mention them in the Autobiographical journals that we will probably all be wrighting after this adventure. (They would probavbly Sell like hotcakes)

Crimson Doom
2013-07-18, 02:35 PM
Myth snorts with disbelief. "As useful as it is for you to be thinking ahead, there's a door here that we've spent fifteen minutes not opening."

[This is not meant to hurry you guys along; this is just what Myth would say at this point.]

Rater202
2013-07-18, 02:41 PM
Oh, yes of Course, we can talk on the way. *Trys to open door*

If, their is a role necessary, I do not know which one

Brute forcing it open would probably be Athletics, right

well, if it's not open, we can try after word.

Crimson Doom
2013-07-18, 02:47 PM
Beyond the door is a library.

But calling it a mere library does not quite do this room justice. It is a vast archive, far bigger than it has any right to be, stocked with so many books, scrolls, letters, and tomes that it would be easy to believe that the whole world's knowledge is contained within.

Beyond that, more of those glowing sapphires line the walls, though they look less haphazard here than they did in the entry hall. The bookshelves are all painted various shades of blue, and the door across the room appears to have been painted with blue runes as well.

Rater202
2013-07-18, 02:56 PM
I think, that once we have found the gem, that we should contact somepony from the Royal Library and have them send people to retrieve this stuff.

Even if half of it is Cookbooks and Ancient Playcolts it could still be worth a fortune.

Crimson Doom
2013-07-18, 02:57 PM
I think, that once we have found the gem, that we should contact somepony from the Royal Library and have them send people to retrieve this stuff.

Even if half of it is Cookbooks and Ancient Playcolts it could still be worth a fortune.

Myth is too busy standing outside the door drooling to respond.

Rater202
2013-07-18, 03:05 PM
*Claps hooves infront of Ancients Face* We Need To focus, Sapphire Whats his name probably knew it would be the Scholarly Type who would find the Gems and put this massive library so close to the front to distract them. Also, thes books are centuries old, they would probably fall apart if you touched them, that's why I said to contact the Royal Library, or maybe a Museum, the have experts trained in retrieving and restoring priceless treasures like these.

Also, they might be booby trapped.

Crimson Doom
2013-07-18, 03:08 PM
Myth catches Shield's hoof with magic, then glares at him. "Don't. Your points make sense, but don't."

He then releases Shield's hoof.

Forum Explorer
2013-07-18, 03:11 PM
Dragons? I've Heard Of A Dragon Living In The Everfree As Well As Rumors That A Dragon Lived In Canterlot! Perhaps They Employed Dragons As The Guardians Of The Gemstones? If That Is The Case We Should Prepare Ourselves To Face A Dire Foe As We Advance Deeper Into These Caves!

A spark of interest shines in Iron Wing's eyes as he stares at the library. Perhaps We Can Find Clues Regarding The Other Gems In Here If All Else Fails!

Rater202
2013-07-18, 03:12 PM
All right then, I am going to take a look at that Door.
forgot about the no editing rule, roll in the other thread.

Dragons? I've Heard Of A Dragon Living In The Everfree As Well As Rumors That A Dragon Lived In Canterlot! Perhaps They Employed Dragons As The Guardians Of The Gemstones? If That Is The Case We Should Prepare Ourselves To Face A Dire Foe As We Advance Deeper Into These Caves!

As far As I know, the Dragon that lived in canterlot was a baby, and left a few years ago.

as for employing a dragon to guard a magical gemstone? That would be like letting a fox guard a hen house.

It is likely that The gem hidden in the Dragon mountains is in a dungeon like this one, and was placed there to keep folks who learned about it away.

HotRoute
2013-07-18, 04:31 PM
The talk of dragons, Tartarus, hidden gems, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches is all blow away when the door opens. "By Celestia's light..." is all Compass Rose is able to sputter as she, too, gets caught drooling like Ancient Myth in front of the massive library of centuries of secrets and lore. Everything in her compels her to take a dusty tome off the shelf and explore new worlds until Adamant Shield ruins the moment with "booby-trapped."

"Right... But..." Compass Rose investigates the sapphires on the walls, then the door frame above them, then the floor in front of her. If she spots nothing, she carefully steps towards the books. If she is able to make it safely towards the closest shelf, she takes a text and opens it slowly.

[roll0]

Forum Explorer
2013-07-18, 05:19 PM
A Baby Really? Well That Baby Had To Come From Somewhere, And Unless Ponies Are In The Habit Of Adopting Orphaned Dragons It Likely Came From A Friendly Dragon In The Area! Also Dragons Make For A Fine Guardian Of Gems, They Do Not Feast On Every Gemstone They Encounter Or Else Their Famed Hordes Could Not Exist! Plus They'll Never Willingly Part With One Of Their Gems!

Crimson Doom
2013-07-18, 05:23 PM
As Rose observes the sapphires, she notices that the sapphires seem a little less haphazard than in the previous room, more ordered...

...and as Shield enters the room, the sapphires all start glowing more brightly, and a translucent blue male unicorn appears floating in the middle of the library, wearing glasses and a stereotypical wizard's hat (complete with moon and stars).

"Ah, it's been awhile!" he says, stretching out and ignoring everypony else for the moment. "What's the year now? ...mmm, seems like about four centuries after I was last activated. Give or take a few decades." He frowns thoughtfully. "I think it was that bozo obsessed with Sea Pony lore. Thought for sure this was where he'd find the location of Atlantis. Idjit." He looks at the group with a gleam in his eye. "Hopefully you'll be smarter than him, hmm?"

Myth stares. And stares. And stares a little more.

Forum Explorer
2013-07-18, 05:31 PM
Almost Certainly! But Before We Get Started Perhaps We Should Introduce Ourselves?

Can Iron Wing recognize him?

History [roll0]

Rater202
2013-07-18, 05:34 PM
...Hello, I am Adamant Shield. You are presumably a sentient recording of the personality and memories of the Unicorn who constructed this location.

Or you're a ghost, but I doubt that's likely, because then the walls would be bleeding and you would be telling us to "Get...Out!"

So, are you a guardian meant to warn us not to venture forward in search of treasure, do to the terrible danger of traps and monsters that lay beyond this room?

Crimson Doom
2013-07-18, 05:35 PM
Almost Certainly! But Before We Get Started Perhaps We Should Introduce Ourselves?

Can Iron Wing recognize him?

History [roll0]

"Sapphire Secrets, wizard extraordinaire, grandson to Clover the Clever, at your service!" he says, sweeping off his hat in a grandiose manner, thus rendering any History rolls unnecessary. "And you?"

"...that's impossi... nope, didn't say it, doesn't count," Myth mutters to himself.

...Hello, I am Adamant Shield. You are presumably a sentient recording of the personality and memories of the Unicorn who constructed this location.

Or you're a ghost, but I doubt that's likely, because then the walls would be bleeding and you would be telling us to "Get...Out!"

So, are you a guardian meant to warn us not to venture forward in search of treasure, do to the terrible danger of traps and monsters that lay beyond this room?

"What? Oh, goodness no. I'm here to test you and see if you're worthy to claim the gem!" laughs the unicorn. "Clever lad, though, figured me out, first guess. I like that." He pauses. "Dunno what all that nonsense about the ghost was, though."

Beacon of Chaos
2013-07-18, 05:48 PM
Elixir follows the others in and marvels at the size of the place.

"Woah... imagine what you could find in here."

When the apparition appears before the group, Elixir barely bats an eyelid.

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Secrets. When you say "test", I assume you don't mean a written exam. Is it a riddle? I like riddles. Or maybe some kind of puzzle?"

Forum Explorer
2013-07-18, 05:49 PM
I Am Iron Wing! I'm Glad To Take Any Test You Shall Put Forth Sapphire Secrets!

Rater202
2013-07-18, 05:49 PM
Test Away!

Emperor Ing
2013-07-18, 06:38 PM
In the meantime Steel Wing was flying along the higher shelves in the humongous library, browsing over book covers. One can only speculate how much value the culminated knowledge these books contain. This alone would be enough to make them all rich and famous.

He notices the personality imprint, and turns to face it. Oh hey. I'm Steel Wing. Kind of. Just a quick question before we begin the test, your door has a rune that summons sandwiches. Do you have another rune somewhere that summons chocolate?

Crimson Doom
2013-07-18, 07:53 PM
When the apparition appears before the group, Elixir barely bats an eyelid.

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Secrets. When you say "test", I assume you don't mean a written exam. Is it a riddle? I like riddles. Or maybe some kind of puzzle?"

Secrets smiles enigmatically. "Let's just say it's a multipart test. We'll start with some trivia. If you can tell me what the proper name for a unicorn's horn is, I'll let you move on to the next room and the next test."

He notices the personality imprint, and turns to face it. Oh hey. I'm Steel Wing. Kind of. Just a quick question before we begin the test, your door has a rune that summons sandwiches. Do you have another rune somewhere that summons chocolate?

The unicorn scratches his head, looking a bit embarrassed. "I'm not too familiar with chocolate. It's a relatively recent invention. Only reason I know what it is is because that last bozo had some in his pockets."

Emperor Ing
2013-07-18, 08:30 PM
Steel frowns, more than a little dissapointed. What? No chocolate? How...how did you function?! Chocolate is a delicacy of unparalleled value to Changelings for its taste alone. It is the food of the Gods, proof that something almighty and benevolent does exist in this world. It is the greatest, deepest love put in its most edible form, second only to actual crystallized love. For any being to not be able to consume chocolate is an unthinkable situation to Sicale.

Heal check to identify the term for a unicorn's horn. He knew the term for a Changeling horn well enough but he's sure that that's not the answer.

Forum Explorer
2013-07-18, 10:10 PM
Don't Ask Me How I Know This, But Is The Answer Alicorn? Iron Wing said with a facepalm.

Crimson Doom
2013-07-18, 10:15 PM
Steel frowns, more than a little dissapointed. What? No chocolate? How...how did you function?!
[/SPOILER]

The unicorn shrugs. "Hey, I'm a holographic projection of a dead guy. You really think I'd be able to eat it even if I knew what it was? I only have the sandwich rune because I kinda lived here before I died."

Don't Ask Me How I Know This, But Is The Answer Alicorn? Iron Wing said with a facepalm.

"...huh. Out of all the beings here, I would not have expected you to know that," Secrets says, looking bemused and slightly impressed. "Okay, you can move forward whenever you want. I'll wait for ya." The runes on the far door flash slightly as Secrets floats to a random bookshelf and starts perusing the titles.

Rater202
2013-07-18, 10:20 PM
So, shall we head onward?

Also, if Alicorn is unicorn horn, then Why do we call the Princesses Alicorns?

And why do we need a Special name for them any way, there are only what, four in the whole world

Forum Explorer
2013-07-18, 10:27 PM
Of Course! And You Need A Special Name Because There Are Only Four Of Them! Iron Wing booms as he moves into the next room.

Emperor Ing
2013-07-18, 11:57 PM
Why they named Immortal Winged Unicorn ponies after the technical term for a unicorn's horn, it's something Steel Wing would rather not know. However the Princesses (Sicale still can't believe there are now four of them) aren't the only things with wings and a horn. Maybe the unicorn horn is named after the Princess' species...?

SiuiS
2013-07-19, 01:28 AM
Myth huffs. "Makes sense to me. Hide a gem precisely in the place where no sane pony would go. Even those who are brave enough to go there may not escape. Best security system short of a celestial vault."

Or it's a ruse. Basic security, really.

I just hope that we don't get all the way there just to learn that a dragon ate it.

So, should we work out a system for what order we go after the gems next?

Woah, there! One step at a time.

"What? Oh, goodness no. I'm here to test you and see if you're worthy to claim the gem!" laughs the unicorn. "Clever lad, though, figured me out, first guess. I like that." He pauses. "Dunno what all that nonsense about the ghost was, though."

Sounds fair, to Gerry Rig.
Hey, since you're here and seemingly kinda nice, mind telling me if the alarms on the entrance reroute directly to the other gem locations or if they are a diversion or warnin instead? If the test is to see how well we Handle such endeavors as the other guardians, then it behooves us Heh to know before we make a mess, you know?

((Persuasion?))

So, shall we head onward?

Also, if Alicorn is unicorn horn, then Why do we call the Princesses Alicorns?

And why do we need a Special name for them any way, there are only what, four in the whole world

I thought we called them princesses? Gerry asks, confused.

Rater202
2013-07-19, 01:30 AM
Why they named Immortal Winged Unicorn ponies after the technical term for a unicorn's horn, it's something Steel Wing would rather not know. However the Princesses (Sicale still can't believe there are now four of them) aren't the only things with wings and a horn. Maybe the unicorn horn is named after the Princess' species...?

i don't think that Alicorns are a seperate breed from other ponies. Think, Princess Twilight Sparkle was a Unicorn until a few days or weaks before she was Crowned, and there are Rumors that Princess Mi Amore Cadenza used to be an orphaned Pegasus.

Most living things can not just Spontaneously Change into a different Breed or Species, even if you could permanently change your form, you would still think and act like your original species, and your magic would function the Same

Our Beloved Diarchs maybe a separate Breed, but I doubt alicorns in general are

I thought we called them princesses? Gerry asks, confused.[/QUOTE]
Their Breed, you know, how all four of them are supposedly earth ponies, Pegasi and Unicorns all at the same time? though I suspect thatthe Royal sisters have a bit more than that.

SiuiS
2013-07-19, 01:52 AM
i don't think that Alicorns are a seperate breed from other ponies. Think, Princess Twilight Sparkle was a Unicorn until a few days or weaks before she was Crowned, and there are Rumors that Princess Mi Amore Cadenza used to be an orphaned Pegasus.

Most living things can not just Spontaneously Change into a different Breed or Species, even if you could permanently change your form, you would still think and act like your original species, and your magic would function the Same

Our Beloved Diarchs maybe a separate Breed, but I doubt alicorns in general are

Their Breed, you know, how all four of them are supposedly earth ponies, Pegasi and Unicorns all at the same time? though I suspect thatthe Royal sisters have a bit more than that.

I dunno about that Pegasus rumor. A Pegasus whose special talent is magically mending an propagating love? Outlandish. It's not like there some sort of magic to affect cutie marks!

As for princess Sparkle, well, that's always seemed like a unique case. Lots of unique cases in recent years; the whole Luna returning, Discord escaping, Cerberus breaking free, the arrival of a long lost mystically phased kingdom, that thing with the Sand Worm Rebellions, discovery of a parallel race of emotion-siphoning parasites from beyond the mirror's edge of reality... It's easier to see a trend of specific but unreplicatable events comin to a head as the zeitgeist turns, y'know?

Crimson Doom
2013-07-19, 08:29 AM
((Persuasion?))

[Yes, roll Persuasion, but for a reasonable tone and because he's a reasonable guy, add +2 to your roll.]

I dunno about that Pegasus rumor. A Pegasus whose special talent is magically mending an propagating love? Outlandish. It's not like there some sort of magic to affect cutie marks!

As for princess Sparkle, well, that's always seemed like a unique case. Lots of unique cases in recent years; the whole Luna returning, Discord escaping, Cerberus breaking free, the arrival of a long lost mystically phased kingdom, that thing with the Sand Worm Rebellions, discovery of a parallel race of emotion-siphoning parasites from beyond the mirror's edge of reality... It's easier to see a trend of specific but unreplicatable events comin to a head as the zeitgeist turns, y'know?

As Gerry Rig's been talking, Secrets has been casually drifting closer to him, ostensibly still browsing the shelves.