PDA

View Full Version : arcane life-leech

chrisgray86
2013-07-01, 03:51 PM
Ok Guys Im a big fan of The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne. He introduced a new character in his latest book called the Arcane life-leech. The basis is that by some alchemical accident this person can heal himself from any form of living matter. For example he is hurt laying on a beach and draws healing energy from the life force of small creature in the sand and can expand it to draw from grass and plants as well. Got any ideas to bring this into dnd?

CaladanMoonblad
2013-07-01, 04:24 PM
Well, the mechanic sounds like a vampiric touch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/vampiricTouch.htm), but toned down, and at will.

So maybe a feat that provides a spell-like ability to use Lifeleach, which can absorb 1d6 hitpoints per round from other organisms in your square. Each organism would get a Fortitude save of 10+1/2 character level.

This sort of post belongs in Homebrew?

Karnith
2013-07-01, 04:27 PM
The spell Greater Consumptive Field, in the Spell Compendium, sort of does this when you're around weak creatures, though it's evil and will kill them. The feat Profane Lifeleech, in Libris Mortis, lets you expend turn/rebuke undead attempts to do something similar, though it's only effective at very low levels.

Alternately, you could get some source of fast healing or regeneration and just refluff it as taking energy from the area around you.

chrisgray86
2013-07-02, 02:08 PM
The spell Greater Consumptive Field, in the Spell Compendium, sort of does this when you're around weak creatures, though it's evil and will kill them. The feat Profane Lifeleech, in Libris Mortis, lets you expend turn/rebuke undead attempts to do something similar, though it's only effective at very low levels.

Alternately, you could get some source of fast healing or regeneration and just refluff it as taking energy from the area around you.

Cool Karnith that's what I was looking for.

Ashes
2013-07-02, 03:13 PM
Reminds me of Dark Sun's Defiler wizards.

The Corruption of Power
Defilers leave behind a circle of ash when casting spells. The radius of this circle is 5 ft. per spell level. A 0-level spell defiles a single 5-ft. square occupied by the caster. Creatures other than the defiler caught within the defiling radius at the time of casting experience pain and suffer a -1 penalty to attack rolls, skill checks and saves for one round. Creatures with the plant descriptor also suffer 2 points of damage per level of the spell slot expended to cast the spell. For this purpose a 0-level spell inflicts 1 point of damage.

The ash created by defiling is black and totally devoid of lifegiving elements. Defiler’s ash is known throughout the tablelands as the telltale sign of wizardry. Nothing will grow in an area reduced to defiler’s ash for a full year – frequently, the wait is longer. Even when the defiler’s ash is scattered by the wind, the ground beneath is a lifeless scar upon the land that will take years to recover.
Defilers will often augment their spellcasting power further by choosing the Path Sinister, Agonizing Radius and Efficient Raze feats, and many eventually take levels in the Arch Defiler prestige class.
A defiler is incapable of preserving. On the other hand, a preserver, if desperate, may defile (see The road to corruption and redemption
below).

I downloaded the .pdf from Athas.org many years ago. You should still be able to find it, if you're interested.

chrisgray86
2013-07-02, 03:46 PM
Reminds me of Dark Sun's Defiler wizards.

I downloaded the .pdf from Athas.org many years ago. You should still be able to find it, if you're interested.

Is that a game im assuming