PDA

View Full Version : Paladin and Ranger spells levels 5 and 6

Devronq
2013-07-01, 04:09 PM
Lets pretend that a paladin and ranger has casting more like a bard where they have lv5 and 6 spells. What existing spells do you think would be appropriate for lv.5 and lv.6 paladin and ranger spells? Totally open to anything even homebrew. :) thank you

Sylthia
2013-07-01, 05:43 PM
Cure Critical Wounds comes to mind, maybe Mass Cure Light Wounds.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-07-01, 06:10 PM
The Dragon magazine that featured the Mystic Ranger has some pretty decent suggestions for 5th level Ranger spells.

Knight of the Weave, from Power of Faerun, might also hold some decent suggestions.

Waker
2013-07-01, 06:12 PM
Heal would be a good choice for paladins. They already get some curative spells and Lay on Hands.

nedz
2013-07-01, 06:13 PM
The Mystic Ranger in Dragon 336 already has 10 level 0 and 6 level 5 Ranger spells. They are all Core though so this could be expanded from the SpC.

Novawurmson
2013-07-01, 06:21 PM
Atonement. Then a high-level paladin can forgive a low level paladin!

Epinephrine_Syn
2013-07-01, 06:28 PM
The mass versions of Bears Endurance, and the other spells of similar note the Ranger gets, would make for good lvl 5s. Find the Path might be another good Ranger 5-6, they're supposed to be good at tracking and getting places after all.

ArcturusV
2013-07-01, 07:41 PM
Hmm... I think probably the, sadly, logical answer to this would be some of the spells they already get. It seems quite a few Paladin and Ranger spells are discounted in spell level so that they'll fit inside the level 4 cap. If you expanded it out to level 6, they PROBABLY shouldn't be getting the discount anymore (Otherwise they'd be having level 7 and 8 spells). Then again, that depends on your thoughts on how powerful the spellcasting should be for a quarter caster class like that.

karkus
2013-07-01, 07:50 PM
The simplest answer would be that they would receive Cleric and Druid spells, only one or two levels lower, as normal.

ngilop
2013-07-01, 07:53 PM
in my world i 'broke' the paladin into 2 different classes. teh more defensive oriented Paladin basically an upgraded core Paladin with much more abilities better smite and lay on hands. and a Crusader, the more offensive oriented class with some class abilities and up to 5th level spells. In those 5th level spell they do get 7th for example the crusader gets Holy Word at 5th level as well as Heroes Feast at 5th level. If it directly FITS into the concept of the class I let it slide up a level or two, if its related it pretty much stays the same level.

so I see nothing wrong if you give paladins 5th or 6th leel spells that they get 7th or on occasion 8th ( if max 6th) level spells

remmber their caster levels are not going to be as good as a full caster and the spells are going to be easier to save against /dispell

Epinephrine_Syn
2013-07-01, 08:16 PM
Hmm... I think probably the, sadly, logical answer to this would be some of the spells they already get. It seems quite a few Paladin and Ranger spells are discounted in spell level so that they'll fit inside the level 4 cap. If you expanded it out to level 6, they PROBABLY shouldn't be getting the discount anymore (Otherwise they'd be having level 7 and 8 spells). Then again, that depends on your thoughts on how powerful the spellcasting should be for a quarter caster class like that.

So basically... just like Bard. Given how low tier/power these classes are, I don't think the buff is unwarranted. I kind of feel like casting excluded Paladin/Ranger are about equal to Bard.

Quorothorn
2013-07-01, 08:25 PM
I've been somewhat fond of the idea of Paladins getting Teleport at some point, honestly--after all, most Outsiders get it as a SLA.

Coidzor
2013-07-01, 09:37 PM
So basically... just like Bard. Given how low tier/power these classes are, I don't think the buff is unwarranted. I kind of feel like casting excluded Paladin/Ranger are about equal to Bard.

Well, even bards get some level of discount for the levels of their spells, so I'd say that it'd still be there, just not as prevalent. But, since their casting is being expanded, their options within each spell level would do with being expanded as well as the number of spell levels they had access to.

navar100
2013-07-01, 09:50 PM
For a paladin:

Atonement
Flame Strike
Raise Dead (6th level paladin spell)
Righteous Might
Mass Bull's Strength
Mass Eagle's Splendor
Mass Owl's Wisdom
Heal
Heroes' Feast
Planar Ally

For a ranger:

Insect Plague
Summon Nature's Ally V
Mass Bear's Endurance
Mass Cat's Grace
Mass Owl's Wisdom
Mass Cure Light Wounds
Find The Path
Move Earth
Stone Tell
Summon Nature's Ally VI

Person_Man
2013-07-02, 09:08 AM
Does the Paladin still have access to Battle Blessing? (Complete Champion Feat, lets you cast Standard Action Paladin spells as Swift Actions). If so, with Leadership for a better Special Mount and the Share Spells ability, the Paladin would probably be Tier 3, depending on the spell list.