PDA

View Full Version : Critque this build

Snig
2013-07-01, 04:42 PM
Hey guys I know I got a few thread on the go about this character, but I'm just really trying to have him ready for tomorrows campaign.

I took a lot of what I have learned from you guys so far and came up with a build I hope will be good (at least not a total bag of ****).

Anyhow like I said I am trying to use a mix of archery and melee combat with my mount. I figure since a lot of my archery abilities require me to be within 30ft I could try to stick close to the combat with manuvers like charging with my mount (ride by attack) and unleashing a full round attack while he charges, and ending up safely out of harms way at the end of the charge. If things get too hairy I can retreat out to the edge of combat and rely on movement and archery.

Fighting at close range to melee would be enhanced by 1st level Ranger spell Arrow Mind, and later by Peerless Archers "Threaten" ability.

So here it is, oh and the 2 levels in Wild Plains Outrider i'm not sure if I need them but, being able to use my hide / move silent instead of my mounts seems like a worthy investment? Perhaps I would be better off without it?

1 Ranger - Wild Cohort, Point Blank Shot
2 Ranger - Rapidshot
3 Ranger - Precise Shot
4 Ranger
5 Rogue - Mounted Combat
6 Ranger - Mounted Archery
7 Ranger - Manyshot
8 Wild Plains Outrider
9 Wild Plains Outrider - Quickdraw (prerequest for PA)
10 Rogue - Far Shot (prerequest for DWS)
11 Peerless Archer
12 Peerless Archer - Weapon Focus Bow (prerequest for DWS)
13 Peerless Archer
14 Deepwood Sniper
15 Deepwood Sniper - Spirited Charge
16 Deepwood Sniper
17 Deepwood Sniper
18 Deepwood Sniper - (Not Sure)
19 Deepwood Sniper
20 Deepwood Sniper

Edit: In case you are wondering about the rogue levels, they are the variant Martial Rogue, taken for the extra feats. I originally had fighter levels but since I am a Goblin my DM said I would incure XP penalty, so I found this ACF and stuck it too him.

I will also be taking the Ranger ACF; Distracting Attack (PHB 2, p 55): Lose animal companion. Whenever you hit with an attack, the enemy is then considered flanked.

almightycoma
2013-07-02, 12:37 AM
If possible consider putting one of your rogue levels first for the skill points.

Aegis013
2013-07-02, 12:46 AM
I figure since a lot of my archery abilities require me to be within 30ft I could try to stick close to the combat with manuvers like charging with my mount (ride by attack) and unleashing a full round attack while he charges, and ending up safely out of harms way at the end of the charge.

You need pounce to do that. You can get it from a one level dip of Barbarian with the Spirit Lion Totem ACF found in Complete Champion.

Also, I think you'll be better served if you decide to focus your feats heavily on one aspect or the other. I'd recommend taking a look at BG's Archery Handbook (http://www.brilliantgameologists.com/boards/?topic=642.0) or googling "ubercharger 3.5" to get some ideas on how to improve either aspect of the character.

I don't know what level of op-fu your group typically employs though, so the most important thing is be sure that the character is one you'll enjoy playing given your circumstances, and won't detract from any of the other players' fun.

Snig
2013-07-02, 04:00 AM
You need pounce to do that. You can get it from a one level dip of Barbarian with the Spirit Lion Totem ACF found in Complete Champion.

Also, I think you'll be better served if you decide to focus your feats heavily on one aspect or the other. I'd recommend taking a look at BG's Archery Handbook (http://www.brilliantgameologists.com/boards/?topic=642.0) or googling "ubercharger 3.5" to get some ideas on how to improve either aspect of the character.

I don't know what level of op-fu your group typically employs though, so the most important thing is be sure that the character is one you'll enjoy playing given your circumstances, and won't detract from any of the other players' fun.

I should have been more clear with my strategie. What I ment was that my Goblin would use a full round attack with his bow (which you can do ontop of a moving mount) while my animal companion executes the charge attack.

I'm pretty sure this would work?

Snig
2013-07-02, 04:02 PM
I should have been more clear with my strategie. What I ment was that my Goblin would use a full round attack with his bow (which you can do ontop of a moving mount) while my animal companion executes the charge attack.

I'm pretty sure this would work?

Can anyone confirm if this tactic would work? Having my mount make a charge attack while I take a full round action to attack with my bow during my mounts charge

Andezzar
2013-07-02, 04:34 PM
Yes it works:
If your mount charges, you also take the AC penalty associated with a charge. If you make an attack at the end of the charge, you receive the bonus gained from the charge. When charging on horseback, you deal double damage with a lance.

You can use ranged weapons while your mount is taking a double move, but at a -4 penalty on the attack roll. You can use ranged weapons while your mount is running (quadruple speed), at a -8 penalty. In either case, you make the attack roll when your mount has completed half its movement. You can make a full attack with a ranged weapon while your mount is moving. Likewise, you can take move actions normally