PDA

View Full Version : Is there a good Truenamer fix?

Invader
2013-07-01, 08:15 PM
Pretty much just the title?

eggynack
2013-07-01, 08:16 PM
Does there need to be one? The per encounter thing could use some definition, as could cunning brilliance, but my impression is that the class is pretty well liked.

Eldest
2013-07-01, 08:17 PM
Seconding that. What do you think is broken about it?
EDIT: OH! Yeah, there are several Truenamer fixes lying around. I actually like Kellus's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90961). I stand by my (implied) statement that the Factotum is not broken.

elonin
2013-07-01, 08:18 PM
Whats wrong with it? Factotum is well a regarded class. Unless you think it is broken powerful. If you think that then just lower skill point/level or remove some skills from its class list.

Invader
2013-07-01, 08:19 PM
Sorry, fixed the title, that's what I get for playing on my laptop and phone at the same time. :smallredface:

eggynack
2013-07-01, 08:22 PM
Ah yes. That would be a different thing then. You may carry on, holding in your heart the knowledge that what you seek is worth seeking.

Psyren
2013-07-01, 08:26 PM
I highly recommend Kyeudo's fix, in my sig.

Raven777
2013-07-01, 08:39 PM
For a moment I thought "nothing is wrong with the Truenamer" was the latest forum conspiracy... :smallamused:

Vaz
2013-07-01, 08:42 PM
The first rule about Truenamer being borked...

mabriss lethe
2013-07-01, 08:45 PM
Well, a quick fix to at least make it more playable: Adjust the DC of your evolving mind utterances. 15+CR instead of 15+2*CR sounds pretty good.

You could also open up the utterance list more, either giving utterances at a higher rate, or opening up the entire list level by level as soon as a character could cast it much the same way as the dread necromancer.

Another option would be to remove truenaming entirely from the class system and incorporate it into a series of feats. I'd suggest reworking the system in a manner similar to force powers in Star Wars.

In general, there would need to be a rewrite of the Truespeech skill. Make it so that it actually has some utility without the need for utterances. It doesn't have to be much, but maybe some sort of minor buff/debuff usage similar to autohypnosis or intimidate.

Waker
2013-07-01, 09:48 PM
Seconding that. What do you think is broken about it?
EDIT: OH! Yeah, there are several Truenamer fixes lying around. I actually like Kellus's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90961). I stand by my (implied) statement that the Factotum is not broken.

What he said. I think its a rather simple and effective fix.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-07-01, 09:57 PM
I highly recommend Kyeudo's fix, in my sig.
I do dig his Book of Words. A great fix and an expansion, with exactly the same feel as the original.

mabriss lethe
2013-07-02, 03:14 AM
I just spent a little while cooking up a fix that I liked, based on what I mentioned earlier. It's nowhere near ready, but here are the highlights. Remember that all hard and fast numbers are ballpark guesses and untested benchmarks.

-Utterances mimic Saga Edition force powers and are usable per encounter (removing those annoying Name magic laws) Utterance levels have been removed and replaced with variable DC effects. Each Lexicon has a different base DC: (without actually having a chance to play test it, my benchmarks are Evolving mind with a DC of 15, Crafted Tool is DC 20, and Perfected map at DC 30.) The effects of each utterance are altered to match the new format.

-Any character can gain ready access to True Name magic through feats, (see Force Power parallel above.) but the Truenamer class gets the most out of it.

-Recitations function in a manner similar to ToB stances, requiring a swift action to activate and functioning until switched or dismissed.

-Aside from use in utterances, The Truespeech skill is actually useful in its own right. It can be used to create a small list of short lived cantrip-like effects.

-The Truenamer class is rebuilt using most of its current class features, but melded with the new mechanics.

-Metamagic can be applied to utterances by increasing the DC of the truespeech check by 5 for every spell level the metamagic tacks on in standard casting. Some metamagics may not be compatible with True Name magic, but I haven't vetted it yet.

Person_Man
2013-07-02, 09:03 AM
+1 to Kyeudo's fix.

You can also just use custom magic items and an Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm), which gives you a scaled bonus to any Skill check (basically your class level + 3, though you have to sacrifice Skill points to do it). It makes your Truespeak Skill checks much more do-able.

Or you can just destroy the Truespeak Skill entirely. With only a couple of exceptions, Utterances are fairly similar in power level to Warlock and Dragonfire Adept Invocations. Just let the player use them at-will, and require that all offensive Utterances have a Saving Throw or To-Hit roll (adding one or the other or both as necessary).

Dairuga
2013-07-03, 12:07 PM
+1 to Kyuedo's fix here as well.

I am currently using it in a game myself, and it is working wonderfully. It is exactly what you wish a Truenamer to be. It makes Truenaming easier, doable, it adds flavour and additional effects for researching specific people's Truenames, and simply makes it fun to play. Granted, the DC's are still borderlining high, but at least you can make do with them with a tiny bit of optimization.

As for Kellus' fix, that one works too, but that one rewrites the entire system into something else, throws in entirely new restrictions and laws to follow. On the same note imay also make the DM prone to catching migraines when tracking its "Absolute limit", due to the number not increasing retroactively with Charisma increases, and Charisma increasing alongside characters leveling up.