PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite trick in DND

Srasy
2013-07-02, 01:41 AM
What's your favorite optimization trick mine is getting mountain rage on small or smaller races especially wild dwarves by using that prestige class that allows you to count as another race then taking the racial sub level for goliaths

Jeff the Green
2013-07-02, 02:48 AM
Using the generic caster, you can become a dry lich at level 11, four levels earlier than normal, and have Charisma based casting too!

sonofzeal
2013-07-02, 02:52 AM
Using the generic caster, you can become a dry lich at level 11, four levels earlier than normal, and have Charisma based casting too!
.......how?

Jeff the Green
2013-07-02, 03:06 AM
.......how?

Walker in the Waste gives it as its capstone, and requires Heat Endurance (which requires base Fortitude save +2) and the ability to cast three spells from the Sand or Thirst domains as divine spells.

Be a human generic arcane caster with Charisma as your key ability score and Fortitude as your good save. Use a flaw to get Heat Endurance, Southern Magician, and Precocious Apprentice as feats. Choose waste strider (Druid 1), parching touch (Sorc/Wiz 1), and desiccate (Druid 2, Cleric 2, Sorc/Wiz 2). You can now cast three spells from the domains, and enter WitW at level 2.

Actually, you could become one at level 3 if you want to jump through some hoops. If you're an artificer you can emulate the "9th-level Walker in the Waste" requirement on canopic jars and force a member of the dusty enclave to help you with the Sere Rite, but in addition to having to eat the LA, you'd have a secretive cabal of nigh-indestructible high-level clerics and druids after you, so it's probably not worth it.

Raendyn
2013-07-02, 03:58 AM
Casting spells through images, and chating with party through them also is my best "trick". I love it every time!

The momment someone they dont know comes and talks to them for whatever reason and on whatever topic, someone that might help or threaten them. Funniest part is when they attack and one-shot the image and after 3 seconds behind the corner they hear applause.. "claps claps, you did great there, now let me continue what I was sayin...". parties always feel so afraid when this happens, especially when the reply is "gj there, now lets do it again with the real me".

I found out about this by looking dark Adept's capstone, then I understood it works with normal spells too XD.

2nd favored trick is breaking the action economy with schism and synchronicity, ending up playing x2-x3 each turn and/or making your dorje-yielding psicrystal playing infinite times. Although I never dares to do this in a normal game.

Curmudgeon
2013-07-02, 04:59 AM
Cloistered Clerics give up heavy armor proficiency. I like this trick to compensate.

1) Start with the right clothing.
Scholar’s Outfit

Perfect for a scholar, this outfit includes a robe, a belt, a cap, soft shoes, and possibly a cloak.2) Next, enhance the robe with an armor bonus (up to +8), as per Magic Item Compendium page 234. This works exactly the same as Bracers of Armor; the "Adding/Improving Common Item Effects" table allows armor bonuses in both Arms (bracers) and Body (robe) slots.

3) Next, you can add an armor enhancement bonus on top of the armor bonus if you cast Magic Vestment:
You imbue a suit of armor or a shield with an enhancement bonus of +1 per four caster levels (maximum +5 at 20th level).

An outfit of regular clothing counts as armor that grants no AC bonus for the purpose of this spell.
4) Continuing, realize that your armor boost (up to +13 already) isn't from actual armor at all, and thus you can still wear a Monk's Belt to get (1 + WIS bonus) more AC!

5) Finally, note that you don't need any armor for fortification. A Gemstone of Fortification (Draconomicon, page 83) can provide that capability without you needing any armor at all. There's no need to bump up the price of your "armor" needlessly to get such useful protection.

Uncle Pine
2013-07-02, 04:59 AM
What's your favorite optimization trick

Tippyverse. :smallwink:

Uncle Pine
2013-07-02, 05:01 AM
5) Finally, note that you don't need any armor for fortification. A Gemstone of Fortification (Draconomicon, page 83) can provide that capability without you needing any armor at all. There's no need to bump up the price of your "armor" needlessly to get such useful protection.

Don't you need a natural armor bonus to actually use a gemstone of fortification?

EDIT: I checked. You don't need an armor bonus, but if you aren't a true dragon you need at least a limited wish, at DM discretion.

JaronK
2013-07-02, 05:17 AM
Dragonwrought Kobolds win again!

I think my favorite trick that I'm actually using in game right now is Rain of Terror + Consumptive Field. Snakes fall from the sky and give you godlike power! I use Persistent Consumptive Field, which makes it a bit silly, but I do limit the strength bonus.

JaronK

Vaz
2013-07-02, 06:21 AM
Using Miracle to replicate Psionic Powers.

Using Linked Power to get psionic powers without expending XP.

eggynack
2013-07-02, 06:33 AM
Probably just being a druid. Druids are cool beans like that. More specifically, I like using enhance wild shape on a desmodu hunting bat to get 120 foot blindsight for hours per level. That's a value you're not likely to get anywhere else. Additionally, not enough people know about primal instinct. Along with a set of minor bonuses, primal instinct gets you +5 to initiative, and does so for 24 hours. I'm also a ridiculously huge fan of heart of water, and the other heart of X spells, to a lesser extent. It's all part and parcel of the mighty druidic buff suite, which finishes off with (greater) luminous armor. You've gotta love it.

Der_DWSage
2013-07-02, 06:44 AM
Not quite an optimization rule, but my favorite method of breaking low-level WBL is Nystul's Magic Aura + a whole lot of bluff checks. For bonus points, always have Expeditious Retreat at the ready!

Nightraiderx
2013-07-02, 07:22 AM
I enjoy the simple things in life... like the one game I emulated Lloyd Irving duel-wielded bastard swords and dipped in lion-totem whirling frenzy barbarian just so I could charge at the enemy and go "sword rain!" I was in a tomb of horrors with a cheese wizard and some minor characters and he had suggested I dip into wizard into abjurrant champ at the point think we were lvl 12-13 at that point and there's the room where an good outsider and an evil outsider were spawned. my friend used str draining techniques on the demon and I wailed on that sucker until it exploded lol, my DM was like. "oh ho but here comes another!" expecting me to attack it. and I'm like... "no, I attack the golden skull that you mentioned was on the throne." oh god his face when I slashed that thing to smithereens b/c it was the object teleporting the outsiders in XD. And this was juuuust before I got my hands on tome of battle, oh what merry torment would've happened if I had known of the tiger claw manuevers ku ku ku

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-02, 07:40 AM
Being an artificer at low levels and making a oil of lesser globe of invulnerability at 3rd level from the trapsmith list. Nothing like negating all the spellcasting of that 5th level wizard BBEG in one round.

Vizzerdrix
2013-07-02, 08:41 AM
Tossing down some Shapesand and using it to shackle combatants in place indefinitely.

hymer
2013-07-02, 08:46 AM
not enough people know about primal instinct.

Sounds cute. Which book is it from?

Norin
2013-07-02, 11:18 AM
Sounds cute. Which book is it from?

Dragon magic.

kardar233
2013-07-02, 11:43 AM
SpC's breath-affecting spells (such as Breath Weapon Admixture, Stunning Breath, Rebuking Breath) are all Persistable.

Arcanist
2013-07-02, 11:56 AM
Dragonwrought Kobolds win again!

"NO! YOU MUST NOT LOOK FROM THE BOOK! :smallfurious:" ... :smallredface:

My favorite trick is creating a Wish based society at 10th level without my DM even realizing it. Ah... Chameleon 5! Is there nothing you can't corrupt? :smallamused:

Eldariel
2013-07-02, 12:07 PM
I'd still have to say the Save Game Trick takes it home. It's just such a hilarious idea and such a simple, yet efficient execution that it's just perfect.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-02, 03:03 PM
Dread necromancer + tomb tainted soul: cute trick, not immensely powerful, but it's really obvious. There is an argument that the combo doesn't work, and if your GM believes that then you know to go ahead and become a necropolitan (which works not matter how you slice it), but 99% of the time tts works fine. Infinite healing is always great, even better if you get the whole party to take tts, never start a fight at less than full health ever again. Plus your negative energy burst ability goes from a suicide burst to an amazing panic button.

Totemist2 + most melee builds: not sure if this counts as a combo, but all but the most optimized non-tob melee builds can reap massive benefits from this powerful and imminently flexible dip. At worst you net two extra attacks, and you get all sorts of neat options on top of that.

Incarnate2 + non-caster skill monkey: similar to above, it makes you massively flexible within your role.

Fell drain + anyspell that deals damage over multiple rounds: another debatable one, but when it works it's savage.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-07-02, 03:26 PM
Jumplomancer! Turn onlookers into fanatical devotees with only your power to leap several hundred feet!

Vaz
2013-07-02, 03:29 PM
But what about its slightly more gross little brother?

inuyasha
2013-07-02, 03:39 PM
But what about its slightly more gross little brother?

The Death Dump?

Cut off jeans of stinking cloud, jump, featherfall, and stoneskin so you dont take as much damage when you hit a solid surface on the way up.

Your welcome

Spuddles
2013-07-02, 03:40 PM
I am a really big fan of Versatile Spellcaster shenanigans.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-02, 05:11 PM
The Death Dump?

Cut off jeans of stinking cloud, jump, featherfall, and stoneskin so you dont take as much damage when you hit a solid surface on the way up.

Your welcome

Wario waft?

wario's down be in ssb brawl

Ionbound
2013-07-02, 05:17 PM
Eschew Materials+Major Creation. The material component for MC doesn't specify a gp price so Eschew covers it.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-07-02, 05:31 PM
Dread Blossom Swarm Symbiote on a Human Barbarian with Blazing Beserker, Frozen Beserker, Extra Rage (Flaw) and Instantaneous rage (Flaw). Have the swarm pick up Extra Rage thrice. Immunity to all but two sources of Lethal damage (And one of those is debatable), pretty much whenever you want it, all for LA +1, a Barbarian level you were going to take anyway and all your 1st level feats. No dragon mag required.

Alternatively, have the Swarm have a Maximised Empowered Awaken cast on it before becoming a Symbiote and have it pick up Leadership. Which you then get as a bonus feat. At ECL 2. Suck on that Action Economy.

123456789blaaa
2013-07-02, 05:36 PM
I can't really pick a favorite trick but one really cool one is putting the Fleshgrinding WSA on a Necklace of Natural Weapons. See your players scream in horror when the ghouls teeth rip off and start burrowing into them.

limejuicepowder
2013-07-02, 05:51 PM
harpoon + explosive rune. Has a nice damned-if-do, damned-if-you-don't effect, and can be utterly lethal if the DM allows you to attach multiple pages of explosive rune.

warlock 4 + wands and scrolls of anything and everything. OK maybe this isn't much of a trick, but it's hellagood. IMO, it's enough to boost warlock in to t3 (yeah I know they're "officially" t4). Assuming they get moderate access to the wands, they can unleash some serious utility and power. With enough access, they are arguably better than the t1's in the low to mid levels.

wall of blades + shock trooper. Chances are 1d20+attack roll is going to be higher than the 7 AC you're left with after charging.

Spuddles
2013-07-02, 05:53 PM
Dread Blossom Swarm Symbiote on a Human Barbarian with Blazing Beserker, Frozen Beserker, Extra Rage (Flaw) and Instantaneous rage (Flaw). Have the swarm pick up Extra Rage thrice. Immunity to all but two sources of Lethal damage (And one of those is debatable), pretty much whenever you want it, all for LA +1, a Barbarian level you were going to take anyway and all your 1st level feats. No dragon mag required.

Alternatively, have the Swarm have a Maximised Empowered Awaken cast on it before becoming a Symbiote and have it pick up Leadership. Which you then get as a bonus feat. At ECL 2. Suck on that Action Economy.

Because the 3.0 Savage Species is the epitome of balanced content :smallsigh:

Kristinn
2013-07-02, 05:57 PM
One thing I really like is a Cloistered Cleric 1 dip for melee characters. You give up 1 BAB, but Knowledge Devotion makes up for that. On top you get a fair amount of skill points, Travel Devotion and Turn Undead to fuel it (just buy a Nightstick). If you have Wis 11 you also get a lot of nifty spells. Lastly you get either a Domain power or one more Devotion feat. Choices of Domain powers include 1/day reroll, and various feats such as Extra Turning to fuel Travel Devotion or Improved intiative. Choices of Devotion feats include Animal granting you flight speed for a minute a day, which is crazy at lower levels.

These benefits add up to something much more valuable to a melee character than +1 BAB and half a combat feat.

Blackhawk748
2013-07-02, 06:01 PM
Being Duskblade 19/ Wizard 1 with versatile spellcaster, I AM GOD!!! lol all 6th level and lower sorcerer/wizard spells are known to you (as long as you put them in that spellbook of yours lol)

Sgt. Cookie
2013-07-02, 06:09 PM

True, but but DMs don't ban 3.0 materials off hand, but Dragon Mag they do.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-02, 06:50 PM
True, but but DMs don't ban 3.0 materials off hand, but Dragon Mag they do.

Actually, many GMs will allow the dragon mag material that made dragon compendium, since it is in a book. And inexperienced GMs will frequently allow dragon mag simply because of the "official" logo.

Spuddles
2013-07-02, 06:54 PM
Being Duskblade 19/ Wizard 1 with versatile spellcaster, I AM GOD!!! lol all 6th level and lower sorcerer/wizard spells are known to you (as long as you put them in that spellbook of yours lol)

Yeah, that's the sort of thing I am into.

gorfnab
2013-07-02, 07:49 PM
Revenance + Revify = really cheap true resurecetion knock-off

Talionis
2013-07-03, 07:31 AM
Arterial Strike Feat plus Cursed Blade Spell (Assassin Spell Compendium). Every wound will cause the enemy to bleed to death. Add multiple Attacks and Spell Immunity and you can create situations were there is no cure for the damage. Chameleon does this pretty well.

Honorable Mention to Azzplodemancer and trouserfang.

Amphetryon
2013-07-03, 07:54 AM
It takes some doing and generally gets books thrown at you, but Fell Drain + Fimbulwinter + Piercing Cold is good for some lulz.

Vaz
2013-07-03, 09:29 AM
Arterial Strike Feat plus Cursed Blade Spell (Assassin Spell Compendium). Every wound will cause the enemy to bleed to death. Add multiple Attacks and Spell Immunity and you can create situations were there is no cure for the damage. Chameleon does this pretty well.

Honorable Mention to Azzplodemancer and trouserfang.

Bleeding damage is not subject to Cursed Blade, though.

Talionis
2013-07-03, 10:06 AM
Bleeding damage is not subject to Cursed Blade, though.

Many people have seen the combo and no one has pointed out this before??? Why wouldn't it?

Vaz
2013-07-03, 10:50 AM
Because cursed weapon applies to the weapon. Bleeding damage is exactly that, bleedimg damage.

Karoht
2013-07-03, 11:08 AM
Pathfinder Response:
Half Elf Sage Arcane Sorcerer False Priest 9/Cypher Mage 11 with Paragon Surge. Here's the rundown:
Int based sponaneous casting.
9th level Arcane casting at my caster level
8th level Divine casting (Cleric, Druid, Ranger, Paladin, Inquisitor, Domains, etec) at my caster level +1, along with skipping material components due to False Priest/Cypher Mage combo.
Paragon Surge to give me any arcane spell I want in either a standard action or a swift. More spell diversity than a Wizard, but with spontaneous casting reactive ability.

The downsides:
-Can not plan a whole spell list for a single encounter, still need to work with a small Arcane toolkit.
-Lose out on some Bloodline stuff due to taking Cypher Mage
-Most of WBL is spent on Divine Scrolls, occasionally having to hunt for some specific ones.
-LOTS of book keeping for all that spell diversity.
-The party WILL treat you as the Deus Ex Machina for just about every problem or encounter.
-Not a lot of feats genuinely support or augment the build, though it is a useful build for a crafter.
-Doesn't really get strong or interesting until about 13th level.

TL:DR-Paragon Surge is awesome!

3.5 Response:
Invisible Spell + Anything
Extraordinary Spell Aim + AMF
Ring of Spell Battle VS Mailman builds. For the luls.
Trickery Devotion. Fullstop.
Meld with Stone + Project Image

Cruiser1
2013-07-03, 11:26 AM
Revenance + Revify = really cheap true resurecetion knock-off
Indeed: Revenance (SC) + Revivify (SC) = True Resurrection for 1000 gp, at level 9.
Better yet: Revenance + Pact of Return (HoH) = Completely free True Resurrection.
If they've been dead for a long time: Reanimation (CA) + Revenance + Pact of Return = Free True Resurrection.

Roguenewb
2013-07-03, 11:58 AM
I really like using precocious apprentice to enter theurge style classes. Simple I know, but it generally makes them waaaaaay better.

Talionis
2013-07-03, 01:37 PM
Because cursed weapon applies to the weapon. Bleeding damage is exactly that, bleeding damage.

And you make it bleed by using the cursed weapon. Its not like the damage is done by yelling it at it. http://youtu.be/TQeP6GWU0e4

Raendyn
2013-07-03, 02:05 PM
And you make it bleed by using the cursed weapon. Its not like the damage is done by yelling it at it. http://youtu.be/TQeP6GWU0e4

Save the irony please.

Vaz is absolutely right. the spells makes your Wepon dmg unhealable, period.
the +1d6 fire dmg from the flaming property isnt weapon dmg, nor is the bleed, nor is the 5d6 fireball your Wizard friend put into your spellstoring property.

Same goes for Valorous Weapon, although there are ppl that use thing to mutiply the entire attack dmg.

Many people have seen the combo and no one has pointed out this before??? Why wouldn't it?

People doiung it doesnt mean its right, nor RAW.

CTrees
2013-07-03, 02:19 PM
@Karoht: Cyphermage is only a ten level prestige class...

Talionis
2013-07-03, 02:44 PM
Save the irony please.

Vaz is absolutely right. the spells makes your Weapon dmg unhealable, period.
the +1d6 fire dmg from the flaming property isn't weapon dmg, nor is the bleed, nor is the 5d6 fireball your Wizard friend put into your spellstoring property.

Same goes for Valorous Weapon, although there are ppl that use thing to multiply the entire attack dmg.

People doing it doesn't mean its right, nor RAW.

Sorry I honestly didn't know there was any question it didn't work. (Though I both saw the combonation on these boards and I've posted it a few times and no one has second guessed it before)

I'm not the best at rules lawyering, but it is damage added by Sneak Attack which is changed into bleed damage by a feat. I figured that is all mundane damage, not Flaming Weapon Damage or damage from a spell stored in a weapon. Obviously the extra fire damage has nothing to do with the sword, its extra and magical. The Sneak Attack damage isn't magical so I assumed it was just extra damage from the weapon and not a special weapon property).

The curse of course is not mundane, but I was pretty sure that Sneak Attack is... I don't know where to look to get the rule for that either.

Sorry for any amount of Derailing this caused.

unseenmage
2013-07-03, 03:13 PM
Using the Custom Magic item rules to modify Golems and Effiges.

Wand Constructs, Scroll Constructs, Wondrous Item Animated Objects, One-Use Golems, etc etc.

Combining Custom Magic Item-Constructs with the Feats in Items sidebar in AaEG.

The possibilities, they are endless. :smallcool:

Karoht
2013-07-03, 04:34 PM
@Karoht: Cyphermage is only a ten level prestige class...Indeed. Leaving one final level for something with that build. Or just a final level of Sorcerer. Whichever.

Der_DWSage
2013-07-03, 05:52 PM
Pathfinder Response:
Half Elf Sage Arcane Sorcerer False Priest 9/Cypher Mage 11 with Paragon Surge. Here's the rundown:
Int based sponaneous casting.
9th level Arcane casting at my caster level
8th level Divine casting (Cleric, Druid, Ranger, Paladin, Inquisitor, Domains, etec) at my caster level +1, along with skipping material components due to False Priest/Cypher Mage combo.
Paragon Surge to give me any arcane spell I want in either a standard action or a swift. More spell diversity than a Wizard, but with spontaneous casting reactive ability.

The downsides:
-Can not plan a whole spell list for a single encounter, still need to work with a small Arcane toolkit.
-Lose out on some Bloodline stuff due to taking Cypher Mage
-Most of WBL is spent on Divine Scrolls, occasionally having to hunt for some specific ones.
-LOTS of book keeping for all that spell diversity.
-The party WILL treat you as the Deus Ex Machina for just about every problem or encounter.
-Not a lot of feats genuinely support or augment the build, though it is a useful build for a crafter.
-Doesn't really get strong or interesting until about 13th level.

I think you need to spell it out for me Karoht. Or else there's some problems with your post.

1)Why are you taking Cypher Mage in the first place? Just for the bonus on UMD to scrolls? There are other ways to do that, and are less expensive than ten levels in a prestige class.

2)It's worth pointing out that False Focus is what lets you avoid material components, as it's easy to overlook.

3)How in the world does this give you INT-based casting? False Priest, Arcane Bloodline, Cyphermage...none of these change you from CHA-based to INT-based..

4)For all the trouble you're putting into casting from scrolls, why not pick up a Sorcerer's Robe (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/robe-sorcerer-s) for ultimate versatility?

Dusk Eclipse
2013-07-03, 05:58 PM

Yeah because we care about balance on a thread about tricks

On topic, my favourite trick is the Dream of Metal, it is simply awesome.

Evolved Shrimp
2013-07-04, 06:39 AM
it is damage added by Sneak Attack which is changed into bleed damage by a feat.

There are two things here: The additional damage caused by the bleeding is hp damage that is resistant to healing until Remove Curse is cast. Different from that is the condition that the wound continues to bleed - that is not damage (it causes the damage) and so falls under the "special properties" exclusion of the Cursed Blade spell.

In summary: Victims can stop the bleeding with Heal, but they cannot reverse the blood loss damage.

Karoht
2013-07-04, 09:26 AM
I think you need to spell it out for me Karoht. Or else there's some problems with your post.

1)Why are you taking Cypher Mage in the first place? Just for the bonus on UMD to scrolls? There are other ways to do that, and are less expensive than ten levels in a prestige class.Your caster level applies to scrolls, rather than using the scrolls. And since you have the Cypher Magic feat, you cast from scrolls at your caster level +1
Also, you get double your Int bonus to caster level (including for bipassing SR) on any spell cast from a scroll several times per day. Being able to drop +12 on such things is very useful. Both are pretty awesome. But if one doesn't want to take the Sage Archetype (Int to casting) or Cypher Mage there is always Arcane Savant (and you can do a much smaller dip but with a few less fun perks) which nets you the same effect with Scrolls.
You also can apply your feats to spells cast from Scrolls.
Free Extend Spell on Scrolls is a nice feature for those lovely Divine buffs.
Why so much focus on Scrolls you say? See below.

2)It's worth pointing out that False Focus is what lets you avoid material components, as it's easy to overlook.I take a Scroll of True Resurrection which has an expensive material component paid for as part of the cost of the Scroll. I use the Scroll, I make the UMD check as part of False Channel. I then expend one of my spell slots. I still have the scroll.
The same applies to scrolls of the domain spell version of Wish if you can get one, etc.

3)How in the world does this give you INT-based casting? False Priest, Arcane Bloodline, Cyphermage...none of these change you from CHA-based to INT-based..Sage does.

4)For all the trouble you're putting into casting from scrolls, why not pick up a Sorcerer's Robe (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/robe-sorcerer-s) for ultimate versatility?Not sure how... "enables a sorcerer to add the effects of her 1st-level bloodline power to spells she casts" is adding spell versatility. Clarify?

Meanwhile, carting around as many Divine Scrolls as I can reasonably afford, and using False Channel to effectively treat them as though they are Divine Spells on my spell known list (admittedly, by blowing a spell slot 1 level higher) like a cheap version of a Knowstone is pretty rad. Some excellent Divine spells are available 4th level or lower, so it isn't all that expensive. Some Domains grant spells from the Wizard/Sorc list at a level below what the Wiz/Sorc would get them anyway, so it nets out the same.
The lack of spell knowledge is the achilles heel of the Sorcerer.
Between False Priest and Paragon Surge? Problem solved.

There are other tricks with this combo.
IE-If your DM allows a Ring of Spell Battle from 3.5 MIC...
You get one made by a Divine caster (with spell turning) rather than an arcane caster. False channel now applies. Someone fires a spell at you, the Ring of Spell Battle activates, you redirect the spell as you see fit, you make the UMD check to burn your spell slot, the item is still useable again that day.

*NOTE*
I am not making a statement about the Tier of this class/combo, as such a statement is largely irrelevant to me. Fun factor of being THE swiss army knife of spells is pretty awesome.

EyethatBinds
2013-07-04, 10:22 AM
My favorite trick as a GM is a Gnoll cleric (3rd) with improved unarmed strike and improved grapple. Since he's a Gnoll (CR 1) with 2 HD and cleric clearly doesn't play into his race's strengths adding two levels of cleric only increase the CR by 1 more. So a CR 3 monster with 5 hit dice that can grapple players.

Why is that good? Cast Balor Nimbus and Body Blades before doing it and the grappled player takes 6d6 per round. Drops most players in one to two rounds. Normally this beast can get at least 3 players grabbed before they bring him down.

Karoht
2013-07-04, 11:09 AM
My favorite trick as a GM is a Gnoll cleric (3rd) with improved unarmed strike and improved grapple. Since he's a Gnoll (CR 1) with 2 HD and cleric clearly doesn't play into his race's strengths adding two levels of cleric only increase the CR by 1 more. So a CR 3 monster with 5 hit dice that can grapple players.

Why is that good? Cast Balor Nimbus and Body Blades before doing it and the grappled player takes 6d6 per round. Drops most players in one to two rounds. Normally this beast can get at least 3 players grabbed before they bring him down.

THIS!
This Cleric must be from the Church of Hugs!
What deity would you recommend for this guy?

EyethatBinds
2013-07-04, 11:20 AM
THIS!
This Cleric must be from the Church of Hugs!
What deity would you recommend for this guy?

Since I was running standard gods I choose Yeenoghu the Gnoll god. But Erythnul works fine too. If you want him to be a bit more themed towards death you can go with Nerull.

Also, a good idea to start the fight is Summon Undead I to create a barrier between him and the PCs.

Immabozo
2013-07-04, 11:54 AM
I love (2 handed weapon) power attack + leap attack + combat brute + knockback + shocktrooper + pounce. At level 15, you can get a +45 bullrush on each attack round 1, +60 round 2 and after. A frenzied Berserker can get over +100, plus size large and high str, the numbers are silly. Then, next round it's +1 to hit and damage for each square you pushed them back

navar100
2013-07-04, 12:12 PM
I like Skill Focus (Concentration) + Combat Casting + Con 14

Starting at level 4 and maxing Concentration you always make the defensive casting roll for your highest level spell on a Natural 1. Play a human to get the feats at 1st level to dedicate your further feats for whatever you want, and the +1 skill bonus goes into Concentration. This trick is mainly for clerics and druids who like to be in threatened areas a lot yet reliably be able to cast spells whenever they want. Wizards and sorcerers usually prefer to stay out of the way so don't need this as much, accepting only having one of the feats if it matters enough or even neither. However, there are some touch attack arcane spells worth casting, but the arcaner generally doesn't want to cast, hold the charge, then move into melee to attack. The idea is to cast the spell, the opponent is affected, then walk away because opponent can't make an AoO due to the spell effect.

Raendyn
2013-07-04, 12:37 PM

I dont rly understand why is this a "trick", its just something that is virtually CR3 but obviously CR5-ish.

Same thing goes for increasing size in animals, gargantual Owls can grapple players and fly high untill they can guarantee insta death on land when the owls drop them, and they are CR-6ish or smth

Roguenewb
2013-07-04, 12:42 PM
I dont rly understand why is this a "trick", its just something that is virtually CR3 but obviously CR5-ish.

Same thing goes for increasing size in animals, gargantual Owls can grapple players and fly high untill they can guarantee insta death on land when the owls drop them, and they are CR-6ish or smth

I think the trick is that tier 1 classes can be "unassociated"

Jeff the Green
2013-07-04, 01:13 PM
I think the trick is that tier 1 classes can be "unassociated"

This can get even sillier. A level 20 human cleric is CR 20. A level 18 storm giant (with 35 HD) is also CR 20.

Roguenewb
2013-07-04, 01:16 PM
This can get even sillier. A level 20 human cleric is CR 20. A level 18 storm giant (with 35 HD) is also CR 20.

Indeed. Any DM should really consider whether a tier 1 class should ever be gotten that easily. Maybe a caster with a really low casting stat...

TuggyNE
2013-07-04, 08:05 PM
Indeed. Any DM should really consider whether a tier 1 class should ever be gotten that easily. Maybe a caster with a really low casting stat...

A(n NPC) cleric with a low casting stat is not necessarily enough weaker than one with a high one to be worth more than 1 CR discount; Clr buffing is quite well-suited to melee mastery.