PDA

View Full Version : What's keeping you from conventions?

Totally Guy
2013-07-02, 02:59 AM
I'm relatively new to the convention scene and I made a thread about my highlights so far. But there were no responses. :smallfrown: Maybe I should have talked about people rather than games.

I’m wondering how many out there don’t go to any sort of convention or one day gathering and why that is? Is there a perceived barrier to going, or do you just not want to? Happy in your own gaming group, or do you want to have a look about at other gamers, but not sure what the deal is?

If you are new to conventions (or indie meetups) (say in the last year or so), what prompted you to go along? Was it worth it?

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-02, 03:08 AM
The tickets being sold out is probably the only thing, and that's only if I can't go to the con as a worker or program holder.

Saph
2013-07-02, 03:09 AM
I've only started really going to conventions in the past year or two, and only as part of promoting my books.

Before that I guess they just always seemed like a bit too much work. I think part of it is that I already have a circle of gaming friends that I've built up over the years that I'm very happy with, so the comparison is always "why not just spend time with them instead?"

Malak'ai
2013-07-02, 03:52 AM
I don't go because there's only one convention held here in New Zealand and it's always at a time of year where I'm either really busy and unable to travel to it or I don't have the money to get there.

Oracle_Hunter
2013-07-02, 03:59 AM
I really need to get to GenCon this year to promote my most advanced game (Four-Color Heroes) but without a car and limited funds, I have no idea how to do it!

Well, that's not true, it's mostly anxiety-based indecision so I guess that's what's keeping my from conventions :smalltongue:

I did go to C2E2 earlier this year though, 'cause I could get some sweat equity tickets (and promote my most appropriate game: Four-Color Heroes) and it was relatively easy to get to. But even though I got invited to demo at a Louisville, KY convention I won't be able to go because travel is expensive.

So, money is the other thing I guess :smallbiggrin:

Kurald Galain
2013-07-02, 04:03 AM
I find the quality level of DMs on conventions too variable, and the scene also tends to attract the kind of player you do not want on your regular gaming table (such as people who don't shower, or that excessive rules lawyer nobody likes, or mr. "I will backstab other player characters but I'm really good aligned, honest").

Aside from that, I prefer a lengthy campaign over a one-off session hands down, and conventions just aren't set up to deal with lengthy campaigns.

Totally Guy
2013-07-02, 04:39 AM
I've generally found the people to be okay. Different cons have different cultures though. I went to one up in Scotland and it was mostly young crowd with a very traditional mindset. I went to one in Milton Keynes and it was an older crowd of radical thinkers!

I've definitely met and been that guy at some point. That guy is relative; in a group of backstabbers that guy is the one who found it upsetting...

But generally the descriptions of the games are pretty good for finding like minded people (plus I'm pretty good with names). There was one time when I didn't like the sound of any game on offer for the evening slot so I recruited some stray players and ran a Mouse Guard game and had a blast. The next morning I heard rumours of there being a "secret Mouse Guard session" last night. :smallbiggrin:

Eldan
2013-07-02, 05:19 AM
I've never heard of any happening within reasonable travel distance, really. And I'm not flying abroad for a convention.

DigoDragon
2013-07-02, 06:21 AM
Time and money are my issues. All the interesting conventions for me are out of state.

The Rose Dragon
2013-07-02, 06:21 AM
Well, there aren't many conventions in my country, and only one of them can really be called a convention, the others being more friendly gatherings. If I lived in the States, or the United Kingdom, or Japan, where there are plenty of conventions, I'd be more willing to attend.

Balor01
2013-07-02, 06:43 AM
Conventions creep me out as do most gaming folk.

Kurald Galain
2013-07-02, 06:55 AM
That guy is relative; in a group of backstabbers that guy is the one who found it upsetting...

True, but many conventions and organized play settings like LFR have strict rules against inter-party conflict (except in games like Vampire or Paranoia, where it is expected), and every now and then you meet the kind of person that made these rules necessary.

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-02, 08:45 AM
You're all too fixated on gaming. You are forgetting essential con experiences, such as eating unhealthy food, buying expensive junk, listening to boring lectures, making new friends, getting boozed up with said friends, and gawking at hot cosplay girls and guys.:smalltongue: (The cons I frequent also have dance balls, workshops, martial art shows, musicals and stage plays, but those sounded too fun to mention.)

valadil
2013-07-02, 09:13 AM
I like cons, but I find them exhausting. One a year is plenty for me.

Xefas
2013-07-02, 09:16 AM
I’m wondering how many out there don’t go to any sort of convention or one day gathering and why that is? Is there a perceived barrier to going, or do you just not want to? Happy in your own gaming group, or do you want to have a look about at other gamers, but not sure what the deal is?

At least for me, and many of the folks I'm acquainted with, it's just money. If I was living the lower middle class dream, I'd be going to all the conventions. As it is now, one trip to PAX would likely leave me homeless, carless, jobless, and penniless.

Eldan
2013-07-02, 09:25 AM
I could probably safe up enough for an entry fee, but then I wouldn't have enough for the flight to get there, the hotel to stay at, the convention food or actually buying anything.

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-02, 09:36 AM
For you penniless guys, why not try to get a spot as a worker or program holder in a convention?

Here in Finland, we have plenty of cons and they all make heavy use of volunteer work. As a reward, one usually gets free entry, free food and a floor to sleep on. It's pretty swell.

I mean, I'm totally not holding games just for the side-bonuses. No sir. :smalltongue:

Tome
2013-07-02, 10:32 AM
Personally, I have no idea where or when they are. If I actually knew about some decent UK conventions in advance I'd go but I never seem to hear of them until it's already over.

Well, that and the complete lack of folks to go with. I guess I'd just feel all awkward going my myself, but I just don't know anyone who'd be interested. :smallfrown:

Same reason I don't go to concerts and music festivals really.

JessGulbranson
2013-07-02, 10:36 AM
I'm glad this topic is up. It's a funny thing, I've been having a weird sort of anxiety about conventions. Not social anxiety- I'm one of those people who loosens up quite a bit the more people there are. So far the only con I go to is the HP Lovecraft Film Fest/Cthulhucon, and for the past two years I've been a guest speaker. BizarroCon happens in my town as well, and I haven't gone to that in years, even though I'm considered by many to be a Bizarro author.

What's even funnier is that my wife, who is arguably much less of a nerd/geek than I am, will say "Hey, there's a comic convention this weekend, want to go?" and I will just shrug. Don't really know what the problem is, but I have a feeling I should get over it.

I'm thinking the salvation may be cosplay. My Fallout buddy is coming down from Alaska in November, and we have decided it's time to cosplay. She's going to be a Rule 63 Boone, and I'm going to be Dr. Mobius from Old World Blues. My daughter (age 4) is into the idea too- she is demanding to be a cazador(they have pretty wings), and we've been trying to figure out something for her newborn little sister to be. Anyway, I hope this will be the icebreaker.

Totally Guy
2013-07-02, 10:52 AM
Personally, I have no idea where or when they are. If I actually knew about some decent UK conventions in advance I'd go but I never seem to hear of them until it's already over.

Where in the UK are you? There's a list of events (http://www.ukroleplayers.com/events/upcoming/) that is pretty well maintained. My first two con experiences saw me going in relatively alone but now I just show up and I'm confident that there will be people I know there.

The next one I'm looking forward to is Furnace in Sheffield but I think it might be sold out now. Unfortunately it clashed with Burning Con in NYC so the one I can drive to won out...

Alejandro
2013-07-02, 11:06 AM
I go to GenCon every year. It helps that it's three hours away by car. I and three others book a hotel room together and share it; the hotel is connected to the convention center physically so that eliminates needing to drive around and park other than leaving the car in hotel parking. We have a great time. The hotel bill for staying the length of the con comes to about $200 for each of us, but we're mostly well employed and/or do some extra contract work earlier in the year and set the 'Gencon fun money' aside.

I'm taking 3 costumes with me this year. :) They're always worth it, people want pictures with you, which is good for the ego, and sometimes booths give you a discount if they like your costume or you pose for photos with their stuff.

Seharvepernfan
2013-07-02, 12:14 PM
Conventions creep me out as do most gaming folk.

This, to some degree. It's why I've never tried putting together a local group or going to any local gaming stores. The people I've played with IRL are people I used to be friends with.

I did go to GenCon in 2006 (I was 17), since I live about 20 miles from it, but it seemed to me that you need connections and/or tons of money to really enjoy it. I know there were games and stuff going on, but I had no idea where, how to get in them, what they were, or anything like that. Granted, I didn't go there for them, but still.

I saw Kevin Sorbo and the red head from MythBusters, I think I saw Vanessa from the Man Show, I bought my favorite dice, I saw some cool minis and statues and stuff, and of course I looked at tons of books and whatnot. It wasn't a total waste of money, but it would have been much better if I had actually known what to do (and had money to do it with).

Saito Takuji
2013-07-02, 01:27 PM
money and time

i do go to gencon every year, fun times

Almaseti
2013-07-02, 03:49 PM
Mooooney. I am as broke as a china vase dropped from the top of the empire state building.

Slipperychicken
2013-07-03, 01:23 AM
I don't go out much, I'm uncomfortable in crowds (even socializing with small groups is exhausting after a few hours), and I can't justify the expense to myself.