PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Mobile Undead Base, Hooooo!

Silus
2013-07-02, 06:31 AM
So I wanna do something nice for the players in my PF group by giving them the means to have a sweet mobile base strapped to/built atop/into an undead Giant Tarantula with the Giant Template (A Colossal vermin the size of a small town).

Main problem is, the players (a party of 5) are only level 4, maybe 5 by the end of their current adventure. The Giant Tarantula, with the template, is a CR 10.

So what I need help with is figuring out a way to equalize if not trivialize the fight with the Tarantula using a single or limited use magic item, spell or weapon. Something they can pick up in the loot room of the dungeon they're currently in to use later on, where if they're like "oh yeah, we got that, didn't we?" they can simply lay waste to the creature.

Plans already are to give it the minimal HP and maybe the Exhausted condition (on account of hunger).

silver spectre
2013-07-02, 08:15 AM
I just looked the thing up on the pathfider srd.
Unless the party has no spell casters, they can likely handle it without it being weakened first unless they insist on closing to melee range.

Failing that, hit the thing with colony of stirges or a couple of shadows. Knock down those ability scores and it should fall fairly easily without leaving a mangled corpse.

Make sure the party sees it being hit by the stirges/shadows and they should see the potential gold mine without any further encouragement...

Silus
2013-07-02, 01:16 PM
I just looked the thing up on the pathfider srd.
Unless the party has no spell casters, they can likely handle it without it being weakened first unless they insist on closing to melee range.

Failing that, hit the thing with colony of stirges or a couple of shadows. Knock down those ability scores and it should fall fairly easily without leaving a mangled corpse.

Make sure the party sees it being hit by the stirges/shadows and they should see the potential gold mine without any further encouragement...

Well they have a Sorcerer, a Magus and a Cleric.

How about having them find a few Greater Arrows/Bullets of Slaying? 'Cause of the thing's high Fort saves, I figure more than one would be warranted.

Or a wand with some spell that hits Will saves and will wreck'em without it being considered a "mind effecting affect".

silver spectre
2013-07-02, 01:40 PM
Well they have a Sorcerer, a Magus and a Cleric.

How about having them find a few Greater Arrows/Bullets of Slaying? 'Cause of the thing's high Fort saves, I figure more than one would be warranted.

Or a wand with some spell that hits Will saves and will wreck'em without it being considered a "mind effecting affect".

Your arcane casters should have enough firepower to blast it effectively. Give you cleric an item that lets them use the Spectral Hand spell and they can pound it with inflict spells.

Alternatively (or additionally), if they have any decent illusion spells, one of them can keep it distracted while the non casters it pelt with arrows/bolts.

There are also the meat shield (summoning) spells.

At that level they should be able to handle it without too much help.

Don't forget the DM standby when your players are either idiots or just can't make a roll... fudge a roll or two on their behalf. I suggest lowering the XP they get if you do so, but if all else fails...

morkendi
2013-07-02, 04:52 PM
Anyone with scribe scroll and first lvl orb spells could beat it. It must have a terrible touch ac. Scribe a ton of orbs, alter self into a flying creature, start dropping orbs.

Silus
2013-07-02, 11:02 PM
Anyone with scribe scroll and first lvl orb spells could beat it. It must have a terrible touch ac. Scribe a ton of orbs, alter self into a flying creature, start dropping orbs.

Um, I don't believe there are orb spells in Pathfinder...

NevinPL
2013-07-03, 04:36 AM
a single or limited use magic item, spell or weapon.
Ye Olde Raid ?
Agentus Orangus ?
Some anti-Lloth (is there Lloth in PF ?), anti spider-ish, save or die item\artifact ?
Other group fights with it, they die, but one of them goes kamikaze (in standard DnD there are some spells for that), and blows\cuts its two legs off, wounds it grievously, etc. ?