PDA

View Full Version : Help with a shifter gladiator, and his arm guard/ guantlet. [3.5]

Kol Korran
2013-07-02, 10:28 AM
Hello folks! I hope to soon start playing in a new game, and require some assistance in matters of build and mechanics. I am fairly lousy with those, so help from the expert of the forum is appreciated.

The game is 3.5, based in Eberron, and uses most books (Though for my understanding Tome of Battle is probably not in play, assume that it's not.). I don't know the exact context of the game yet, but we'll start in some port city. My character is a lvl 1 shifter (beast hide elite and shifter ferocity due to flaw) ranger. In between adventures characters may pursue their own goals, and affiliations with organizations. My character will try to get acclaim by fighting in the city's arena, sort of gladiator style.

But I'm worried how to build my gladiator. A few points to consider:
1) I want both effectiveness and style, where style (cool factor) wins a bit over effectiveness. I want the look and the feel of a gladiator as well as being good, in combat, if not great.
2) I want to play up the angle of savagery and ferocity of this character. More wild fighting than tic-toc precise fight.
3) He needs to be useful for non-arena adventures foremost, to the arena second. And no, I do not know yet what sort of characters the other choose. Most likely He'll be one of the most important melee types if not THE melee type.

Current thoughts are to add a barbarian level at level 2 or 3, add power attack and/ or extra rage at levels 3 and 6, and when I can, go to Were touched master (Note the changes in the Errata to the final level ability score adjustments. I'm planning currently to take The wolf or Boar ancestry) taking extra shifter feats along the way. Currently my plan reaches Ranger 6/ Barbarian 1/ Were touch master 5...

My questions:
1) What sort of fighting style should I take with the ranger? The DM supplied a few more other than the basic two, and currenrtly I'm in between the following:
- Two weapons fighting. Mostly because I think it would be call to have the shifter attack 4 times in a round, and possibly a 5th with a wolf bite, attacking ferociously like storm of attacks. I have however heard a few times in the playground that this battle style is not that effective due to: different feats for different weapons, needing to invest money to upgrade two weapons, lesser effect of power attack, and less chances to hit. Still the idea very much appeals to to me. In my imagination it just looks awesome! If I'll be going that route, I would love to make a special arm guard, explained below.

- Dragon 326 listed the following alternative combat styles:
Strong-Arm ranger gains Power Attack, then Improved Sunder, then Great Cleave. Obviously for two weapon fighting, focused on being a heavy hitter. The main bonus here is the free power attack, freeing up a feat slot in my planning, but the Improved Sunder is somewhat lackluster. I doubt I would get along with other gladiators if I break down their weapons. (Not to mention I expect most of them to be already enchanted and made of special materials at this point)

- Legends and Lairs "Wildscape" d20 book lists the following:
Two-Handed Fighting:
2nd: Two-Handed Defense: when fighting with a two-handed weapon, the ranger gains a +1 dodge bonus to AC.
6th: Sweeping Attack: gains benefit of Whirlwind Attack feat when fighting with a 2-handed weapon.
11th: Ferocious Blow: A reverse combo of Combat expertise and Power Attack, take a -1 penalty to AC (max -5) to gain +2 damage per -1 to AC.
Now, with this style I'm still fighting with a two handed weapon, but the style feels more... free flowing, wild, fast paced kind of fighting. The +1 to AC is certainly nice, and the 6th level advantage of whirlwind feels great to the savage frothing shifter. But Are these enough?

So what do you think will serve me best mechanically? Flavor wise? Any ideas for other styles of such?

2) The Armguard.
I came up with the following picture for my shifter:
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk295/meir_8/Reshk4_zpsc427f87a.jpg (http://s283.photobucket.com/user/meir_8/media/Reshk4_zpsc427f87a.jpg.html)(Geth from Legacy of Dhakkan series)

As you can see, his right arm is covered from shoulder to fingers by a bladed metal arm guard/ gauntlet. In my imagination I see him striking with an axe (Or some other suitable weapon... are there any unique shifter weapons?) then blocking a blow with his arm guard (Like a shield, only it looks as if he's blocking it with his arm) and then using the same arm to slash with the blades (the offhand weapon) at his opponent. It seems like a wonderfully visually exciting way of fighting, quite fitting of a gladiator.
savage! I don't imagine this coming up at the start of the career, probaably at a later time, level 5-6 or more, But something to think of...

What I want to achieve is the following:
- The arm guard providing some protective properties (I'm thinking it serves as a shield? Which shield though?)
- I can also attack with it as an off hand weapon if I use the two weapons fighting style. (But having the same item be used for attack and defense requires an improved shield bash feat).
- alternatively can use the armed gauntlet to punch someone for bludgeoning damage (as armed gauntlet)
- Cannot be disarmed (Unless I'm... um... disarmed)
- The blades can be used in a grapple, as a light weapon.
- I can use the open hand to use weapons, such as throw throw axes or spears, or wield an off hand weapon. I thought maybe like a buckler, imposing a -1?

Checking the rules, I have a few problems though:
- It seems I can only have the arm blade function as either a light shield (1d4 damage spikes, +1 AC, can't hold a weapon). Or buckler (can hold a weapon, but can't have spikes on it). Idealy I'd love to treat this as a heavy shield with 1d6 blades that can be used as an off hand weapon. But I think that may be too much, or call for another "exotic weapon" feat, but He is really starved for feats.
- The need to expend another feat on it to use it for defense and offense at the same.
- How much does it cost? How do I even calculate that?!

I probably need to discuss this with the DM, but I'd love some suggestions about possible solutions to the idea.

3) Do you think I should take the next level as barbarian, and the 3rd as a second level of ranger. Or the other way around? Any general advice on the build are welcomed!

Thanks in advance,
Kol.

Kol Korran
2013-07-02, 08:35 PM
Really? No one has any ideas? :smallfrown:

Kuulvheysoon
2013-07-02, 09:11 PM
You'll need a byeshk bastard sword, for starters.:smalltongue:

But seriously, if I was your DM and you came to me with this, I'd probably let you get away with it treating it as a spiked heavy shield. There's a fair amount of support out there for it (see PersonMan's guide to shield-fighting), so you wouldn't be too badly off.

Actually, taking the sword and board feats would be an excellent idea, if you could get it treated as a shield.

See if you can't talk with your DM to make a fighting style uniquely suited for your character. Failing that, Ranger-Knight (from the Wildscape book) sounds alright, especially if you can get your arm-gauntlet treated as a shield.

I'd want to reward this novel idea (well, not so novel as it's quite similar to Geth) and make it easier for you, not punish you for making something relatively unique.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-07-02, 10:24 PM
You could use Dastana (from the A&EG) wich are metal bracers, and since they are classified as a shield you could add shield/razor spikes normally. At this point going swift hunter ranger 15/scout 4/barbarian 1 (not in that order) would be really advisable, TWF with the shield dastana spikes and your sword.

Kol Korran
2013-07-03, 01:41 PM
Any thoughts about the fighting style?

You'll need a byeshk bastard sword, for starters.:smalltongue:
Actually I came with the idea for the character before thinking of Geth. I was looking for shifter pics for my character when it came up, and I just loved the pose, and the snarl. So I used the pic. The Arm guard idea came from looking at gladiator pics, seeing what makes them unique, and noticing many wore this. Only later when I started thinking about it did I realize the coincidence. Weird, huh? :smalltongue:

But seriously, if I was your DM and you came to me with this, I'd probably let you get away with it treating it as a spiked heavy shield. There's a fair amount of support out there for it (see PersonMan's guide to shield-fighting), so you wouldn't be too badly off.

Actually, taking the sword and board feats would be an excellent idea, if you could get it treated as a shield.

See if you can't talk with your DM to make a fighting style uniquely suited for your character. Failing that, Ranger-Knight (from the Wildscape book) sounds alright, especially if you can get your arm-gauntlet treated as a shield. A heavy shield can't work with two weapons fighting without added feats, of which I'm really short of. I'll look at sword and board feats though, maybe something can work. I'll look into PersonMan's guide as well, though I usually can't find my head in such guides, due to having very few books myself.

I'd want to reward this novel idea (well, not so novel as it's quite similar to Geth) and make it easier for you, not punish you for making something relatively unique. I hope so too. I don't think it is that powerful. My main idea is to mitigate the need for feats and such by paying lots of money to make a special item that works. :smallwink: But there is waaaayyyy a lot of time till that comes into play, just some idle thoughts, as they may affect the chosen fighting style.

You could use Dastana (from the A&EG) wich are metal bracers, and since they are classified as a shield you could add shield/razor spikes normally. At this point going swift hunter ranger 15/scout 4/barbarian 1 (not in that order) would be really advisable, TWF with the shield dastana spikes and your sword.I don't have oriental adventures. It has been mentioned to me, so I don't have the stats for a Dastana. I'm not sure they are even used in this game. What is Swift hunter ranger? :smallconfused:
This is a PbP game, so I don't wish to plan too far ahead, and I already have some campaign specific ideas. Most likely it will be Rgr 6/ Brb 1/ were touched master 5, and after that... well, that's a loooooooong way off.

Thanks you two! Any more suggestions?

Dusk Eclipse
2013-07-03, 01:52 PM
Dastana were reprinted in the Arms and Equipment guide and look like this http://crpp0001.uqtr.ca/w4/campagne/images/WotC_Art_Galleries/Oriental_Adventures/Dastana.jpg add in spikes and it would look really similar to the image you posted.

Swift Hunter is a feat from Complete Scoundrel that allows you to stack your Ranger and scout (CAdv) levels to determine your Favoured Enemy bonus and your skirimish damage (precision damage mechanic, similar to Sneak attack; but instead of flanking or attacking a dex denied opponent, you need to move at least 10 feets to activate) and it also lets you add your skirimish damage to crit immune monsters if they are your Favoured enemy.

The point is that Swift Hunter rewards you with extra damage (and some minor AC) for being a mobile fighter which moves all across the arena and in addition since it triggers on every attack you make (after moving of course, hence why pounce or other source of free movement (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358) is imperative for Swift hunters) it works really well with Two weapon fighting, though a Two handed fighter will deal more damage if build correctly.

Here is a the handbook (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.mx/2011/09/swift-hunters-handbook.html) if you are interested.

Kol Korran
2013-07-05, 12:34 PM
Well I'll be... I never even though of integrating scout into the build, and the Swift hunter feat might make it worth it! Thanks!
We ARE using multiclassing penalties, and so I'm thinking on something on the lines of:
Scout 3- needed for the prerequisites of Swift hunter. together Reshk will have 5th level favored enemy and 5th level skirmishing (+2d6, +1 AC) plus a bit of tumbling skill
Brb 2- so not to gain multiclass penalties, rage, faster movement and improved uncanny dodge.
Rgr 2- strong arm fighting style, getting the power attack feat (planning on fighting with a 2-handed weapon) The reason I'm not taking two handed is since then I'll need to also take swift hunter, power attack and extra rage, using up my 3rd, 6th, and 9th level feats. (!st one is full already. It seems it will deal more damage, and hit more often (Or so I think?)

The idea is of a very fast moving, very hard hitting shifter.

Damn it! I dislike complicated builds. I usually pick one class, maybe on prestige class and just go with it (My group aren't great optimizers). Hopefully this will work fine?

As to the gauntlet, I think to consider it just a buckler, and perhaps with some added money have it bladed. The blades will come into effect only if I get grappled or lose my weapon. They won't be used for normal fighting.

A bit far from my original concept though...

Kuulvheysoon
2013-07-05, 01:08 PM
Unfortunately, you cannot spike or razor bucklers.

Inferno
2013-07-05, 02:35 PM
Could just get a spiked gauntlet and a buckler, mechanically does what you want. Maybe refluff it as a single item to suit your Coolness requirement.
I feel like I might be missing the point, but seems easy enough.

Kol Korran
2013-07-05, 03:21 PM
Yeah, that is pretty much it. Only thing is I want the hand to be free to wield stuff, like a weapon, but I hope a gauntlet allows that, eh?

Thanks for the advice folks.:smallsmile:

Inferno
2013-07-05, 03:25 PM
Gauntlet still leaves the hand free even with a buckler. Just gives a -1 to hit when using the buckler hand iirc.

Gwendol
2013-07-06, 03:15 PM
Two-weapon fighting using the whirling frenzy barbarian will have you make a lot of attacks. Using sword and shield works with this style too.

gorfnab
2013-07-06, 09:57 PM
The feat Improved Buckler Defense (CW) allows you to wield two weapons while retaining the buckler's AC.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-07-06, 10:08 PM
Well I'll be... I never even though of integrating scout into the build, and the Swift hunter feat might make it worth it! Thanks!
We ARE using multiclassing penalties, and so I'm thinking on something on the lines of:
Scout 3- needed for the prerequisites of Swift hunter. together Reshk will have 5th level favored enemy and 5th level skirmishing (+2d6, +1 AC) plus a bit of tumbling skill
Brb 2- so not to gain multiclass penalties, rage, faster movement and improved uncanny dodge.
Rgr 2- strong arm fighting style, getting the power attack feat (planning on fighting with a 2-handed weapon) The reason I'm not taking two handed is since then I'll need to also take swift hunter, power attack and extra rage, using up my 3rd, 6th, and 9th level feats. (!st one is full already. It seems it will deal more damage, and hit more often (Or so I think?)

The idea is of a very fast moving, very hard hitting shifter.

Damn it! I dislike complicated builds. I usually pick one class, maybe on prestige class and just go with it (My group aren't great optimizers). Hopefully this will work fine?

As to the gauntlet, I think to consider it just a buckler, and perhaps with some added money have it bladed. The blades will come into effect only if I get grappled or lose my weapon. They won't be used for normal fighting.

A bit far from my original concept though...

How about this

Longthooth (for the nice bite attack) Shifter Scout 3/Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 2/ Ranger 15

Barbarian's ACF
Spirit Lion Totem(CCha): Replaces Fast Movement with Pounce
Wolf Totem (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm): Trades Uncanny Dodge for pre-requisite free Improved Trip
Whirling Frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ): Variant Rage, gives Dex boost instead of Con and an extra attack at full attack bonus; but all attacks take a -2 penalty (offset by the Str bonus in any case)

Ranger's ACF.
Arcane Hunter (CMag): Gives Favoured enemy Arcanist, which apply to everything that cast spells or has SLA (virtually anything at higher levels)

Feats:
Swift Hunter: Linchpin of the build
Extra Rage: So you can use whirling frenzy more than once a day, ask your DM if he will let it apply to your shifting too.
Leap Attack: Power attack bonus are awesome