PDA

View Full Version : Warning: epileptic tree theory regarding the Snarl and Blackwing

Lecan
2013-07-02, 10:38 AM
I've been turning this over in my head for awhile and it doesn't get any more or less crazy to me. However, with 897 and confirming that V and Blackwing's souls are linked gave me enough quasi-evidence to post here.

I think that Blackwing was unmade by the Snarl but that his link to Vaarsuvius kept him from disappearing completely from everyone but V. This explains why the rest of the OOTS not only cannot see Blackwing except as an extension of V but cannot remember that anything like him ever existed.

Contradicting this theory is that Soon's wife (and the bears Lirian was looking for) is still remembered, so being unmade doesn't completely erase a soul from previous existence. However, it is obvious that whatever is causing everyone except V to disbelieve Blackwing's existence springs from the interaction with the rift.

Thoughts, supporting evidence, strike downs?

Vinsfeld
2013-07-02, 10:49 AM
Roy and Belkar saw Blackwing after Roy's fight with Thog. And heard it too.

Lecan
2013-07-02, 10:51 AM
Roy and Belkar saw Blackwing after Roy's fight with Thog.
And assumed it was V. The Order has seen Blackwing and has described him as a mimicry of a bird created by V twice.

Edit: giving support to the idea that Blackwing no longer exists except as part of V.

Edit2: It could possibly just be a gag. Like I said, it was a crazy idea. But the four scenes with the Order interacting with or discussing Blackwing are substantially different on either chronological side of approaching the rift and when discussing literature, you do not ignore evidence like that without reason.

Tock Zipporah
2013-07-02, 10:51 AM
Everyone thinking Blackwing was an illusion was just a joke because of all the times V forgot he even HAD a familiar until someone reminded him.

So now that V remembers, the others forget. It's a gag, not a plot point.

Kish
2013-07-02, 10:56 AM
And Blackwing was able to buy diamond dust (from a store Vaarsuvius had been thrown out of). And Blackwing has a very distinct personality, including prioritizing helping a cat who Vaarsuvius barely acknowledges the existence of, above helping Roy.

So..."unmaking" doesn't prevent Blackwing from having thoughts and a personality, doesn't prevent Blackwing from being seen by other people, doesn't prevent Blackwing from lifting things. In your theory, what's the difference between "unmade Blackwing" and a joke about the rest of the Order continuing to ignore Vaarsuvius' named class feature?

Edit2: It could possibly just be a gag. Like I said, it was a crazy idea. But the four scenes with the Order interacting with or discussing Blackwing are substantially different on either chronological side of approaching the rift and when discussing literature, you do not ignore evidence like that without reason.

They're also substantially different on either side of Roy dying. Or the IFCC first appearing. Or Roy finding the starmetal. Why the arbitrary pick of one single event in a huge block of strips as evidence?

allenw
2013-07-02, 11:51 AM
They're also substantially different on either side of Roy dying. Or the IFCC first appearing. Or Roy finding the starmetal. Why the arbitrary pick of one single event in a huge block of strips as evidence?

I'm neutral on this theory, but this hardly an "arbitrary pick," since unlike all of your alternatives, it involves something that Blackwing directly does, and that affects him physically and mentally.

F.Harr
2013-07-02, 12:04 PM
It is an interesting idea. I tend towards "gag" myself, but I admit that this is an intreguing possibility.

Holy_Knight
2013-07-02, 12:10 PM
Qarr has also interacted with Blackwing at considerable length, and Mr. Scruffy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0750.html) can perceive him just fine.

Kish
2013-07-02, 01:50 PM
and that affects him physically and mentally.
Physically? Explain?

martianmister
2013-07-02, 03:59 PM
Interestingly, Blackwing's eyes became same colour as Snarl. Some kind of charm?