PDA

View Full Version : Best D&D Cities

undead hero
2013-07-02, 11:18 AM
For an upcoming game I'm running I need a list of cities already in the D&D universe (any setting) from any official book.

I'm looking for ones that have the best fluff and/or just really fun to have your PCs run around in.

I've played in a few but I would like to get others opinion.

Invader
2013-07-02, 11:33 AM
Waterdeep from FCS has tons of lore and NPCs. Sharn from Eberron also has its own published book.

There are tons of pretty iconic cities in Faerun along with waterdeep.

Elvenoutrider
2013-07-02, 11:35 AM
there is a drow city with a name that escapes me very well detailed in 3.5's drow of the underdark. I have had many pcs wind up in this city across several campaigns and interesting things happen every time

Feytalist
2013-07-02, 11:42 AM
Menzoberranzan? That's the big one I guess.

Silverymoon with its layered magic effects is pretty cool too. Detailed in The Silver Marches book for FR.

Skullport under Waterdeep is a huge den-of-thieves type of city. Lots of potential there.

Baldur's Gate, Athkatla, Neverwinter and the like all have pretty detailed fluff thanks to the various FR computer games.

Actana
2013-07-02, 11:45 AM
While 4e, I'm partial to the city of Neverwinter, as presented in the Neverwinter Campaign Setting book. It's focused more on the people in the city and inspirations for adventures than statistic blocks and minutiae of detail that I've found rather common for FR sourcebooks.

While I have no real opinion on 4e FR, I do like Neverwinter. It's got some good antagonists not all of which are really even the "bad guys". Neverember, while not the most pleasant guy, isn't a bad person - he rebuilt the city from ruins and his presence is generally a positive thing. But the players are expected to oppose him regardless, for the "true" heir of Neverwinter. I think it's a really good setup not only to introduce moral ambiguity, but also to weigh the pros and cons of political issues in a fantasy world.

The other antagonists, the aboleths, Shadovar, Thay etc, aren't that interesting, but they provide for ample opportunities for adventure and a feel for a living setting that doesn't require too much maintenance and has things the GM can decide. The book outright states that the GM can decide for themselves what the specific goals of certain NPCs are, allowing for much more freedom than in regular campaign settings.

I'm currently working on a sandbox E6 game based in the city, and am having fun plotting out the various relationships of the dozens of NPCs given in the book (as well as my own original NPCs too).

Zubrowka74
2013-07-02, 11:52 AM
The city of Eltabbar was the capital of Thay (FR) around the time of 2e. The actual layout of the streets were in fact a gigantic rune that kept the demon Eltab (the same demon that helped the Red Wizard break free of Mulhorand) prisonner under the city. Each time a map of this layout was destroyed, the rune was weakened and citizens felt an earthquake. Thus, making a map of Eltabbar was illegal. Or something like that, go check the "Dreams of the Red Wizards (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreams_of_the_Red_Wizards)" supplement.

I think all this fluff went down the drain with that 4e crapfest.

gurgleflep
2013-07-02, 11:59 AM
I don't remember what book it's in, but there's a city with a spire in the center of it where the dead and the living mingle with one another. They shop together, live together, and do a whole variety of other things with one another. People go there to visit their dearly departed. I really wish I could remember the name of the city.

Edenbeast
2013-07-02, 12:00 PM
I've always been a big fan of Raven's Bluff in the Forgotten Realms. There's a 2e book about the city and it's surroundings.

Yora
2013-07-02, 12:01 PM
I kind of like Silverymoon. It's dangerously sparkly-elfy, but I still like it.

And of course Sigil. Duh...

But now that I am thinking about it, the D&D settings have lots of cool places, but cities are not really among those. Most cities are just there having nothing special.

I don't remember what book it's in, but there's a city with a spire in the center of it where the dead and the living mingle with one another. They shop together, live together, and do a whole variety of other things with one another. People go there to visit their dearly departed. I really wish I could remember the name of the city.
Maybe the Ghostwalk setting? That city would be Manifest.

DeltaEmil
2013-07-02, 12:03 PM
The city of Eltabbar was the capital of Thay (FR) around the time of 2e. The actual layout of the streets were in fact a gigantic rune that kept the demon Eltab (the same demon that helped the Red Wizard break free of Mulhorand) prisonner under the city. Each time a map of this layout was destroyed, the rune was weakened and citizens felt an earthquake. Thus, making a map of Eltabbar was illegal. Or something like that, go check the "Dreams of the Red Wizards (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreams_of_the_Red_Wizards)" supplement.

I think all this fluff went down the drain with that 4e crapfest.Stop edition-warring. Also, Eltab was already free in 3e. Check out Champions of Ruin.

Zubrowka74
2013-07-02, 12:08 PM
Stop edition-warring. Also, Eltab was already free in 3e. Check out Champions of Ruin.

Ah this ain't about 4e. I'm pretty much neutral about it, I even play 4e Neverwinter. It's specifically the whole change to the FR setting that just rubs me the wrong way, spellplague and such details. Free Demon or not.

CTrees
2013-07-02, 12:12 PM
Sigil, by a mile.

My second pick would be the City of Brass. Just the implications of a city full of creatures with Wish as an SLA...

I'd also suggest looking at Pathfinder's Distant World's supplement. It's more fluff than crunch (side effect: easier to use with other editions), but it has some fun ideas. Like cities built on the sun.

gurgleflep
2013-07-02, 12:13 PM
*snip*

Maybe the Ghostwalk setting? That city would be Manifest.

That's it, thank you :smallsmile: I was thinking Libris Mortis, but I knew that wasn't right.

Arcanist
2013-07-02, 12:21 PM
Xinlenal, Eileanar and Jiksidur are all Netherese enclaves so they count as cities... Sort of? Or Super-Wizard Colleges... Anyway, the City states of the Tablelands are pretty cool, little hot so bring a bathing suit, and I hear Sharn is lovely this time of year, oh! And if you're going across the planes and see Teley (Telemont Tanthul), tell him I said "Luv ya and ur work d00d!" :smallwink:

ShriekingDrake
2013-07-02, 12:58 PM
I was always a fan of City State of the Invincible Overlord from 1e. I ran many a campaign through there.