PDA

View Full Version : The Jet Pack?

Alejandro
2013-07-02, 11:40 AM
So, I happened on this item:

Jet Pack Level 7 Rare

A metallic pack clasps around one’s middle, and it projects flame directly underneath the wearer.

Waist Slot 2,600 gp
Utility Power At-Will (Move Action)

Effect: You fly 2d10 squares upward, and then fall.

Malfunction: If you roll a 1 on each d10, you fly 1d10 squares in a random direction. You take 2d10 damage and stop moving if you collide with anything.
--

Obviously, it's not really something that would appear in just any campaign world. But, if it did, how does one use this? Are you allowed to fly up and grab onto something, or land on a projecting flat surface? It seems that just flying up into the air and then falling down would not serve any purpose.

Surrealistik
2013-07-02, 11:41 AM
You can move diagonally as you ascend.

Musco
2013-07-02, 01:37 PM
Though of course falling damage might be an issue.

Scow2
2013-07-02, 01:53 PM
Though of course falling damage might be an issue.It makes it a risk that can be mitigated/negated. Don't jump straight up without a parachute.

The problem I'm seeing is the wide variable altitude.

Epinephrine
2013-07-02, 02:05 PM
How would you determine a "random direction" for a 1d10 distance flight?

If you pick a random non-downward direction from your initial location you have 9 upward squares and 8 horizontal squares to choose from, but continuing along these lines only allows you to got to one of 17 end squares. A 5 square flight to a random location (up or horizontal) would result in a visit to one of about 300 squares, over 1/3rd of which are at altitude 5, the rest being split evenly among altitude 0 and altitude 4.

I'd be tempted to make it "you fly off in the most humorous direction."

NecroRebel
2013-07-02, 02:19 PM
How would you determine a "random direction" for a 1d10 distance flight?

The way I'd do it is roll 1d6, then 1d10, for each square of movement. On the d6, 1-2 means you move downwards, 3-4 means you stay on the same level, and 5-6 means you move upwards. On the d10, 1 means roll again, then each of the other 9 numbers refers to one of the 9 squares on one level of the 3x3x3 cube centered on you, with a 3-4 on d6 then 6 on d10 also being rerolled (as that would mean "move to the square you presently occupy). Basically just randomly choose elevation gain or loss, then randomly choose direction, and do that 1d10 times.

This could mean you end up back where you started after having flown in a loop.

Musco
2013-07-02, 04:19 PM
I'd just roll 1d10 and disregard the 9. 1-8, you fly in the direction of aforementioned square, 1 being in front of you and moving clockwise from there. 0 you stay in your square (fly upwards).

Daracaex
2013-07-03, 12:57 AM
You guys are aware that this was published in an April Fools Day article, right? :smalltongue:

Actually, same article had the Singularity Grenade and a couple other sci-fi-like items that were incredibly unpredictable in effect and unreliable in useage.

NecroRebel
2013-07-03, 01:17 AM
I'd just roll 1d10 and disregard the 9. 1-8, you fly in the direction of aforementioned square, 1 being in front of you and moving clockwise from there. 0 you stay in your square (fly upwards).

Strictly speaking, the mishap line doesn't have the "upwards only" limitation, so that method doesn't account for the possibility to move downwards or stay on the same level. That's why I required a d6 roll to determine altitude first.

You guys are aware that this was published in an April Fools Day article, right? :smalltongue:

Actually, same article had the Singularity Grenade and a couple other sci-fi-like items that were incredibly unpredictable in effect and unreliable in useage.

Joke article or not, "Expedition to the Barrier Peaks" is a venerable and popular D&D module written by Gygax himself. These items aren't really any good, but they do fit the module, which included sci-fi elements (though AFAIK it hasn't been updated for 4e, so it's kind of a waste).

Epinephrine
2013-07-03, 06:33 AM
Joke article or not, "Expedition to the Barrier Peaks" is a venerable and popular D&D module written by Gygax himself. These items aren't really any good, but they do fit the module, which included sci-fi elements (though AFAIK it hasn't been updated for 4e, so it's kind of a waste).

Exactly what I was thinking - that I could perhaps try running it in 4e. The adventure that brought exploding blasters and some of the weirdest creatures ever (wolf in sheep's clothing? wow.)

vasharanpaladin
2013-07-03, 02:50 PM

Chainsword. Your argument is invalid. :smalltongue: