PDA

View Full Version : How to do the God of War

Lawleepawpz
2013-07-02, 05:35 PM
Hello people, I have a question and would like some assistance

Sooner or later, I am going to end up playing a 3.5 game, and would like to play as the God of War without his divinity. So I have a question;

How exactly could I make the most powerful all around fighter (archetype, not the class) that I could?

If anybody could give me suggestions for feats/levels and weapon choices, it would be awesome.

I do not care how far it goes into the depths of irreconcilable optimization. Neither would my DM, as he likes strong mundanes.

For some type of guidelines if you want to give a whole build (which would be awesome, since I usually play casters and am not all too familiar with mundanes) then by, "powerful" I mean has options. Doesn't have to do the same thing twice, and can meaningfully affect the course of the fight. This obviously goes hand in hand with the obvious, "powerful" of high accuracy and damage.

So I thank anybody who helps out in advance, and yup. Guess I'm done with this post.

EDIT: This will take place anywhere from level 9-low epic.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-07-02, 05:50 PM
Hello forum goer. Look at your Barbarian, now back at mine, now back to your Barbarian, now back to mine. Sadly, he isn't mine. But if he became a cloud of flowers he could at least be as invulnerable as mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're on a battlefield, with the Barbarian your Barbarian could be as invulnerable as. What's in your hand? Back at me. I have it, it's a pencil and it's writing in LA 1. Look again you're now writing in Regeneration 5. Anything is possible when your Barbarian becomes a symbiont. I'm a horse.

In case you didn't catch that, the way you do it is: First, take a Dread Blossom Swarm Symbiote and put it on a Human Barbarian with Blazing Beserker, Frozen Beserker, Extra Rage (Flaw) and Instantaneous rage (Flaw). Have the swarm pick up Extra Rage thrice. Immunity to all but two sources of Lethal damage (And one of those is debatable), pretty much whenever you want it, all for LA +1, a Barbarian level you were going to take anyway and all your 1st level feats.

RogueDM
2013-07-02, 06:44 PM
I'm not an optimization wizard, however the Warblade from Tome of Battle may also be of some assistance. More d12 HD goodness, and maneuvers which would definitely strike me as preternatural if I were on the same battlefield.

However, most of the high-optimization melee builds I've seen around here have been based around the barbarian.

limejuicepowder
2013-07-02, 06:54 PM
For some reason I don't imagine (A or The) God of War in a symbiotic relationship with a swarm of flowers, no matter how mechanical invulnerable it makes him.

I must break it to you that you may be playing the wrong system for this guy. I'm not familiar with this character in particular, but I'm guessing from his name that he is a Hercules/Beowulf type who overcomes any and all obstacles with a combination of cunning, strength, and godly levels of martial skill. There isn't a great representation of this.

The higher level you go, the more characters are reliant on magic. If you want to do anything impressive from a OP-standpoint, it's going to involve spells. Even the most optimized, theoretical mundane characters are (usually) one-trick ponies, and their one trick probably involves lots of damage. Not exactly what I'd want for this character.

Here's my suggestion: if your group is mid-OP, go for warblade. ToB comes the closest to giving mundanes Nice Things, and warblade is the best of the bunch. Note that warblade 20 is perfectly serviceable; there's no need to get fancy.

If your group is higher-OP than that, make some kind of gish character and refluff the spells as martial skill. Wizard gishes are considered superior, but a sorc gish might fit better in this case (more spontaneous, based on cha which is good for leading/intimidation, more slots out of the box).

Spuddles
2013-07-02, 07:01 PM
Is this the videogame one?

Let's see-
He hits people with goofy looking weapons
He is mostly naked
He shoots spells
He makes a lot of attacks
Damage doesn't really matter to him
He isn't particularly clever, just angry

Some race optimization would go a long way in beefing you up and removing dependency on class/feats for damage.

Water Orc is a great race for bruisers, and Half-Minotaur and Mineral Warrior all really great templates, only costing +1 LA. Half-Minotaur gets you large size, +6 con, and +12 str.

I would look at wolf totem spirit lion totem barbarian 2 for pounce and improved trip, and nab knockdown. Fist of the Forest for con to AC, and monk to get wis to AC. Then Runescarred Berserker.

That should about do it. Maybe a little warblade at higher levels.

Check this guide out:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105525

Can be handy for building guys with special power: big muscles.

Slipperychicken
2013-07-02, 07:33 PM
Guys, I'm confused, there are like a million gods of war in both videogames and mythology. Which one are we talking about?

limejuicepowder
2013-07-02, 07:37 PM
Guys, I'm confused, there are like a million gods of war in both videogames and mythology. Which one are we talking about?

That's why I kept my advice vague and non-specific; it'll fit no matter what.

Spuddles
2013-07-02, 07:54 PM

Probably the one with the eponymous videogame?

Saintheart
2013-07-02, 07:56 PM
DMM Persist Cleric. Worship yourself. War domain even gives you bonuses to having Divine Power memorised.

eggynack
2013-07-02, 08:06 PM
As has been said, be a warblade. Warblades are really good at being a fighter, and not being really boring. You can choose just about anything you want, and you'll end up with a character that's full of meaty and delicious options. It's pretty hard to make a warblade that's not good at stuff, and you'll have a reasonable level of power in just about any given party.

Slipperychicken
2013-07-02, 08:08 PM

You also have Darksiders' main character, War, who was also essentially the god of war, and was stripped of his powers and forced to wander the earth.

Snowbluff
2013-07-02, 08:12 PM
So like... Warblade2/Swordsage2/Crusader3/Master of Nine3/Legacy Champion10? Learn the maneuvers. All of them.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-02, 08:27 PM
Warblade is the fighteriest fighter ever to fight if you don't want weird shenanigans. It works from 1-20, and gives you solid options at every maneuver level, plus useful class abilities, especially if you have a half decent INT.

Waker
2013-07-02, 09:07 PM
Hmm, I'd say go with a Warblade/Totemist. Warblade would give you access to a lot of combat maneuvers while Totemist would give you access to your supernatural doodads, like Icarus Wings being refluffed Pegasus Cloak or Medusa's Head being a refluffed Gorgan Mask.

Spuddles
2013-07-02, 09:29 PM
You also have Darksiders' main character, War, who was also essentially the god of war, and was stripped of his powers and forced to wander the earth.

Oh I thought we were talking about games that people actually played.

Cirrylius
2013-07-02, 09:47 PM
Oh I thought we were talking about games that people actually played.

O SNAP.

But yeah, both God and War were capitalized, so the intent seems pretty clear.

Lawleepawpz
2013-07-02, 11:20 PM
I hadn't been thinking of any video game, to be honest, but thank's everybody for bringing them up, actually. They give some good ideas....

I am definately using the Master of Nine suggestion and either Sorc, Totemist, or Druid for buffs.

Slipperychicken
2013-07-02, 11:35 PM

But yeah, both God and War were capitalized, so the intent seems pretty clear.

Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how right I was not to assume it was a videogame character :smallcool:

I hadn't been thinking of any video game, to be honest

Any thoughts on what kind of stuff you want in particular? I mean, there are a number of ways to go about it. For example, he could be a loincloth-wearing personification of the chaotic brutality particular to war (like Ajax or Kratos), or a more 'civilized' god of discipline, strategy, and genius (like Athena, and some D&D deities).

Zonugal
2013-07-02, 11:54 PM
What about something like: Lesser Aasimar Barbarian 2/Crusader 2/Unarmed Swordsage 2/Warblade 2/Bladestorm Blade 4/Warblade 3/Master of the Nine 5?

Darth Stabber
2013-07-02, 11:58 PM
What about something like: Lesser Aasimar Dragonborn Water Orc Barbarian 2/Crusader 2/Unarmed Swordsage 2/Warblade 2/Bladestorm Blade 4/Warblade 31/Totemist 2/Master of the Nine 5?

Fixed that for ya.

Zonugal
2013-07-03, 12:05 AM
I had Ares, God of War, in my mind with the build I posted.

Which is to say I don't imagine the Greek god as a draconic orc of the sea.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-03, 01:36 AM
I had Ares, God of War, in my mind with the build I posted.

Which is to say I don't imagine the Greek god as a draconic orc of the sea.

Meh, you can fix it with illusions.

ArcturusV
2013-07-03, 02:37 AM
Hmm... if I'm thinking a "God of War", I'm thinking Druid myself.

"But ArcturusV, Druids are Hippies!" I can hear at least one of my usual players cry out. "And hippies don't fight!" Well, Druids are Nature. And Nature if full of War. Just watch two packs of dogs get into a turf war.

... not to mention the fact that as a straight level 20 druid progression you're actually fairly decent at bringing the pain where and when you want to. It's all pretty simple stuff. Get Wild Shape, get Natural Spell. Sling spells o' Doom while being a better bruiser than most bruisers. With the various druid spells and abilities you can take down most rabble and make your presence really known on a battlefield in ways that Fighters, Warblades, Paladins, etc, etc, etc, could only dream of.

mabriss lethe
2013-07-03, 03:04 AM
I'd actually vote Silverbrow Human DFI Bardblade for a mortal War god. You can act as both soldier and general with equal ease.

Earthwalker
2013-07-03, 03:20 AM
For some reason I don't imagine (A or The) God of War in a symbiotic relationship with a swarm of flowers, no matter how mechanical invulnerable it makes him.

The Orcs of the small island of Janno cultivate an orchid (Called by the locals Death Blooms) and use it in potions to improve thier combat prowess. The Death Blooms are highly prized and the tribes of the nieghboring islands are constantly attacking Jarro in hopes of driving the Orcs away.

The Orcs are simple people and know only two things, Flowers and War. As such they have only one God, Carro the god of flowers and war. Jarro is depicted as a strong orc warrior, attached to a number of death blooms.

After saying all that I always picture Ares when I hear God of War, doesn't mean there aren't others.

Filgan - The god of War and Trickery
Youzen - The God of Brueacracy and War (I would love to join the battle and begin splitting skulls but first I have these troop movment forms to fill in)
Alls-Fair - The God of Love and War (Yep Alls Fair in Love and War)

(Yes I am just making these up)

Darth Stabber
2013-07-03, 04:21 AM
The Orcs of the small island of Janno cultivate an orchid (Called by the locals Death Blooms) and use it in potions to improve thier combat prowess. The Death Blooms are highly prized and the tribes of the nieghboring islands are constantly attacking Jarro in hopes of driving the Orcs away.

The Orcs are simple people and know only two things, Flowers and War. As such they have only one God, Carro the god of flowers and war. Jarro is depicted as a strong orc warrior, attached to a number of death blooms.

After saying all that I always picture Ares when I hear God of War, doesn't mean there aren't others.

Filgan - The god of War and Trickery
Youzen - The God of Brueacracy and War (I would love to join the battle and begin splitting skulls but first I have these troop movment forms to fill in)
Alls-Fair - The God of Love and War (Yep Alls Fair in Love and War)

(Yes I am just making these up)

Tyr is a god of war, most of the norse deities could be considered war deities, but tyr is the one typically listed as THE god of war in that pantheon.

Marduk is a war god, if memory serves.

Vaz
2013-07-03, 05:48 AM
I'd actually vote Silverbrow Human DFI Bardblade for a mortal War god. You can act as both soldier and general with equal ease.

With a Shrink Item Alphorn, right?

Talionis
2013-07-03, 07:24 AM
Ares gets his power from Anger and Rage... I would look at the Cancer Mage Optimization in the Iron Chef Challenge. You can get infinite Strength... So you can do sick damage without thinking about it and lots of strange things off of Strength: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148584

There maybe other fun infinite Strength builds with Cancer Mage, but it's a cool idea.

Immabozo
2013-07-03, 01:18 PM
Whirling Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 1/Fighter 2 (for feats)/Fist of the forest 1/bear warrior 1 with a half minotaur template (dragon mag 3-something) on a human with a monks belt and bracers of armor +5 gives (assuming an 18 con, 14 dex and 12 wis at character creation) AC + 10 (con, including rage) + 2 (monk's belt) + 2 (dodge, whirling barbie) + 6 (NA) + 2 (dex)+ 5 (bracers of armor) - 1 size = AC 36 and you appear unarmored. An item of wis +4, boots of dodge +2 and con +4 brings you up to AC 42, ring of deflection +3 and animated heavy shield +1 brings you up to 48.

Bear warrior states you get the bonuses when raging and as a seperate thought, you CAN turn into a bear. The two are not necessarily connected.

Bear warrior qualifies you for war shaper, +4 str, + 4 con brings you up to AC 50

power attack, leap attack, imp bullrush, shocktrooper, knockback, endurance, steadfast determination, Combat Brute, and high str will ensure you are throwing people around the battlefield, plus combat reflexes, no one should even get close enough to touch you! And then you should be throwing them back so far that Combat Brute will give you stupid amazing bonuses to hit and damage next round!

50 movement speed lets you charge 100 ft, with reach from large size, if you push them back 100-105 feet, that's up to a +20 or 21 to hit next round, spirit lion totem barb gives you pounce. (your knockback bullrushes can easily get up to around +80)