PDA

View Full Version : Rangers Apprentice Series

Garetek
2013-07-02, 05:43 PM
Has anyone read the books by john flanagan on the Rangers Apprentice? And if so, how would you go about making a ranger(No spell casting as there is no real magic in that world) that can accurately shoot and hit at targets 200 yards away. Most of the feats that I have seen are all 30 feet or less. Kinda redundant to give someone a bow and tell them to shoot at something that close in my opinion. I know that I can more or less accurately shoot at targets much further than 30 feet away with enough power to kill. (Talking about Archery Hunting.)

The skills seem to go well.

Probably take the ACF that gives me bonus feats.

Any thoughts on this would be welcome. Or if its been talked about before send me the link please and thank you.

thewiredone
2013-07-02, 07:01 PM
you can use this as a starting point. http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2892.0

limejuicepowder
2013-07-02, 07:02 PM
It's fairly easy to get ludicrous range with a bow using Craigtop Archer from Races of Stone. The real problem is going to be seeing your enemies from that far away: even 500 feet imposes a -50 penalty to your spot check, which means that unless the campaign takes place on a featureless plane, it won't matter than you can shoot that far.

My suggestion? Talk to your DM about changing the stupid spot rules, as they are completely borked as is. If they don't want to do that, then you're going to need some kind of familiar or linked ally that can scout ahead and spot enemies for you.

Spuddles
2013-07-02, 07:15 PM
Knowledge Devotion is a fairly good source of damage. Most people oversell it, by a lot, though. Deadly Aim, from Pathfinder, is good for getting your damage up. It's basically ranged power attack.

In Drow of the Underdark, there's a variant fighter (ACF maybe?) that sacrifices heavy armor proficiency for the ability to add dex to damage vs. flat footed opponents.

Targetteer fighter, from some dragon magazine, can do dex damage vs. flat footed opponents.

It's fairly easy to get ludicrous range with a bow using Craigtop Archer from Races of Stone. The real problem is going to be seeing your enemies from that far away: even 500 feet imposes a -50 penalty to your spot check, which means that unless the campaign takes place on a featureless plane, it won't matter than you can shoot that far.

My suggestion? Talk to your DM about changing the stupid spot rules, as they are completely borked as is. If they don't want to do that, then you're going to need some kind of familiar or linked ally that can scout ahead and spot enemies for you.

The problem isn't distance, it's doing damage at range. 1d8+str+magic isn't even enough to kill a horse.

Garetek
2013-07-02, 07:37 PM
I know. I don't like the rules for spot at all. Heck I can take my rifle out and with iron sights hit targets 800M away with a degree of accuracy(put the scope on and I will make holes the size of quarters or so)

So I guess talking to the gm will be the first step.

Blackhawk748
2013-07-02, 08:19 PM
when it comes to spot i tend to honestly forget about that rule lol i usually wind up ad hocing a negative, somthing like -2 to -4 for about 100 ft or so, rarely do i actually know how far they are exactly.