PDA

View Full Version : need help

Yuudai
2006-12-07, 07:45 AM
My friend wants to be a gunner. I want to allow this, but i have never made a class before. can anyone give me an idea (I know its not MY homebrew, but I want a homebrew class for this, please)

Altair_the_Vexed
2006-12-07, 08:14 AM
A gunner in what context?

Why can't s/he just be a Fighter with Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Firearms?

Yuudai
2006-12-07, 09:25 AM
its becasue a firearm does 1 d 10 at first..and i think it would be better if intelegence and dex derturmes wither you hit or not not just dex..

Mewtarthio
2006-12-07, 10:48 AM
Why would Intelligence have any bearing on your accuracy with firearms?

Yuudai
2006-12-07, 11:09 AM
the intelegence to aim it properly, to load it swiftly,etc.

ChaosStorm
2006-12-07, 11:18 AM
That's where weapon Focus comes in. A gunner is someone who knows how to shoot a gun well. Which in rule terms means they have a +1 or so to hit.

Still sounds like it should just be a fighter, unless you have something specific in mind that would make the class different.

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2006-12-07, 04:49 PM
Aiming and loading is Dex. A genius won't fire better than average Joe.

Tokiko Mima
2006-12-07, 05:52 PM
Aiming and loading is Dex. A genius won't fire better than average Joe.

But the genius probably picks better targets to shoot at!

I'd go with Ranger with a proficiency in Exotic Weapon: Cap and ball longarms. Ranged Weapon style, obviously. Substitute something else instead of Ranger spells.

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2006-12-07, 05:58 PM
Not what I said.

Tokiko Mima
2006-12-07, 06:17 PM
I didn't say that you did say that. You said that a genius fires a weapon approximately the same as an Average Joe. That's true, it is all about Dexterity when you're using ranged weapons. Unless you're using the Zen Archery feat.

I pointed out that the intelligence comes into play when the genius/Average Joe picks what he's shooting at. A genius would go for the 1 in 20 chance of hitting the enemy commander, whereas the Average Joe would probably just shoot at the people shooting at him. That's not disagreeing with you, I'm just pointing out where intelligence DOES come to play in a battle.

averagejoe
2006-12-07, 07:23 PM
Okay, to set the record straight, I'm really not THAT dumb. And I don't like guns anyways.

If we're talking non-automatic manual reloaders, though, then the ranger's bonus feats really won't do very much. It takes a full round to reload, so rapid shot is useless, and manyshot with a gun would be a bit of a stretch for the imagination. I'd go with fighter, stick him on a horse and call him a dragoon, simply because there aren't enough feats to support building a firearms expert the way you would build an archer.

Mewtarthio
2006-12-07, 10:26 PM
and manyshot with a gun would be a bit of a stretch for the imagination.

What? You can't picture somebodymanually shoving bullets down a gun barrel? :smallbiggrin:

And for someone who doesn't like guns, you have an odd avatar... :smallconfused:

averagejoe
2006-12-07, 10:52 PM
What? You can't picture somebodymanually shoving bullets down a gun barrel? :smallbiggrin:

And for someone who doesn't like guns, you have an odd avatar... :smallconfused:

Sadly, I can picture that. I can't picture good resuts. You probably wouldn't need a feat for it either.

Yeah, that occured to me while I was writing that my avatar's pretty gun-tastic. It actually doesn't represent me or any characters that I've played, or anything like that. It's Jayne Cobb from Firefly, who does like his guns.

Grey Knight
2006-12-08, 11:36 AM
Yeah, that occured to me while I was writing that my avatar's pretty gun-tastic. It actually doesn't represent me or any characters that I've played, or anything like that. It's Jayne Cobb from Firefly, who does like his guns.

He's the hero of Canton, the man they call Jaaayyyne! :smallsmile:

Saint George
2006-12-08, 02:45 PM
the intelegence to aim it properly, to load it swiftly,etc.

I take it you have never watched Forrest Gump. It shows you can do just about anything with Int as your dump stat.

MandibleBones
2006-12-09, 11:06 AM
Go with Monk, make him take Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Whatever handgun he's using at 1st level, and give him Gun Kata (a homebrew feat somewhere on this forum - I can't find it, nor do I know who statted it out) to let him flurry with this pistols. :)

Kidding. Kind of.

If you do go that route, Exotic Weapon Master has some neat stuff for exotic ranged weapons, and weapon focus and the TWF tree help too :)

Yakk
2006-12-09, 01:14 PM
Rogue.

You may as well make your one shot/minute count!