PDA

View Full Version : OpenDNS blocking Giants

King Tius
2013-07-03, 07:50 AM
Giants is my cup of coffee in the morning at work. Today our OpenDNS Umbrella Security Labs started blocking the site due to a "security threat" that was recently discovered. Any insight on this? They can be contacted at [email protected].

dethkruzer
2013-07-03, 08:47 AM
it most likely detected something from a user avatar, more specifically the hosting service of said avatar.

Thre have been a few instances in where anti-virus programs have been giving teh red light on Gianitp, and most of the time it has been users avatar being hosted on a site the anti-virus program counts as a threat.

EDIT: Although it should be mentioned there was that one time where the security of the site had been compromised, our beloved Giant wrote about it here (http://www.giantitp.com/index.html#AlXaO8EiS89zOiJIQK5).

Zherog
2013-07-03, 08:58 AM
It's possible that somebody's avatar or sig image triggered it. That's happened before.

Rawhide
2013-07-03, 11:03 AM
One of the above two scenarios is most likely correct. But, given that I've checked the OpenDNS directory and found no mention of security related issues, nor have we received an email notification, I'm leaning toward it being an avatar, signature or other image hosted elsewhere.

Could you please PM me with the following information:
Operating system and version number.
Browser and version number (please get the full version number, not just "9" or what have you).
OpenDNS product(s) and version number(s).
Definition version and last update if applicable.
The full error message.
The URL of the blocked pages and/or the URL of the pages where the message appears.
What categories your settings block, if known.
The price of milk.
Anything else you think might be relevant.

ShadowFireLance
2013-07-03, 01:14 PM
The price of milk.
Anything else you think might be relevant.

....Educate me, please, on how Milk is relevant to a Anti-virus program?
I guess it's just out of my realm of knowledge. Unless you power your stuff with milk, and need to find it cheaper....:smalleek:

King Tius
2013-07-03, 01:14 PM
It is with much elation that I am able to respond to this from my work computer. The DNS block has been lifted. Not sure if my emails to them helped or not but I'm glad nonetheless. If this happens again I will probably wait more than a few panicked minutes to report it.

Since it's resolved, I'll just say that I bought a small carton of milk for $2 yesterday.

Thanks Rawhide!

Amidus Drexel
2013-07-03, 01:57 PM
I guess it's just out of my realm of knowledge. Unless you power your stuff with milk, and need to find it cheaper....:smalleek:

Only Rawhide can make a server run on milk. :smallcool:
He was joking. :smallhiddenwink:

OracleofWuffing
2013-07-03, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I was gonna say, usually the post-resolution thread silliness waits until after the thread's resolved. :smallbiggrin:

Rawhide
2013-07-03, 06:49 PM

Our server runs on cups of piping hot tea. (http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Infinite_Improbability_Drive)

It is with much elation that I am able to respond to this from my work computer. The DNS block has been lifted. Not sure if my emails to them helped or not but I'm glad nonetheless. If this happens again I will probably wait more than a few panicked minutes to report it.

Since it's resolved, I'll just say that I bought a small carton of milk for $2 yesterday.

Thanks Rawhide!

Excellent. Glad to see that this is resolved. As this is resolved, I'll close this thread now. Let me know if it returns.