PDA

View Full Version : My Little Dungeon: TPKs are Magic!

HotRoute
2013-07-03, 08:27 AM
Hey everypony,

I'm making a dungeon for my group, who happens to also like MLP: FiM. I had the idea to bring them through multiple rooms, each one testing them in the way of an Element of Harmony.

What are some fun challenges/puzzles/encounters based around:
Loyalty?
Honesty?
Laughter?
Kindness?
Generosity?
Magic?

I'm playing DnD 3.5 with a group of 5 at level 5; although I'm really just looking for ideas. They can be big, silly homages to the show or simple, subtle nods. Whatever you can think of, I appreciate!

Hyena
2013-07-03, 09:50 AM
Discord already did it to the cast. Spoiler - they failed.

Kon Lesh
2013-07-03, 05:48 PM
This depends highly on our PCs. You could make each challenge associate with each PC. But since I have no knowledge about PCs then I can only give a basic idea for each.

Loyalty?
A basic room with a high difficultly CR encounter, but make it so that coordination and helping others (flanking, buff spells, healing) will result in much better bonuses then normal.

Honesty?
I have no idea what to do with the honesty room. I guess a room that needs your PCs to say something embarrassing or atleast very true, inorder to continue. Make this a roleplaying room where the PCs conflict with each other or say somethings that they would usually keep personal.

Laughter and Kindness?

Let the players find something on their way to the dungeon that is very valuable, some magic item that is worth much more then they would every get at this level(ring of protection +5, Necklace of netted stars, or something like that). Describe the item in detail. Make it sound important.
In order to enter the dungeon, the PCs are going down and eventually enter into a room that looks that a sewer room. When they enter the room, the players see a ghost of a little girl at the side wall. She is crying. They can if they wish just walk by without doing anything, they can attack, or try talking to it. As a note: this ghost shows up as good so there is no reason for a paladin to attack her. If they talk to her then have the girl describes that she came into the sewer looking for her father's wedding gift to her mother. Also make sure to let the PCs know that the ghost girl is obviously blind. But she was never able to find it. Have the girl describe it in detail. Make it very obvious that the item they found is the same item that this girl died looking for. If the PCs return the item have the girl thank them and then disappear. If they don't then the PCs can just walk out of the room without a problem.
At some point in the dungeon, the PCs encounter a Banshee. If they didn't return the item or if they attacked the poor little ghost girl then the banshee surprise attack the PCs, crying out for the item. If they did return it then have the banshee sneak attack the enemy.

Generosity?

The PCs hear the sound of battle ahead of them. They find a man in this room with 1 advanced giant black widow spider, and 3 giant spiders. 4 people look unconscious on the floor and there at about a dozen giant spiders dead around the area as well. The PCs can either leave and this encounter is over. Or they can help and save the people. Once the battle is over, the person will plead to you to help save his friends. A single healing spell each or channel positive energy will get them back on their feet. They will ask for more healing until each has recover atleast 15 hp. They will give thanks and will then head out of the dungeon.
Depending on what the PCs do, will effect their reward. Helping the guy without helping his unconscious friends will result in 500gp. Helping everyone get back up will result in a 2000gp. Getting everyone above 15 hp will result in them saying that they came down this far in order destroy these spiders that has been coming up and taking their children to be eaten. As thanks they will give the PCs an item that they found will exploring this dungeon. Make this something that your PCs can use but not a bunch of fighters (like a staff or a wand).

Magic?

The moment the PCs enter the room describe it as a large Pentagonal room with magic runes on every possible surface. In the center of the room is a huge stone statue. When everyone is inside the the door closes shut, statue awakens, and attacks. The statue is highly resistant to physical damage. 10 DR/-, 300 HP, 30 AC, +15/+10 to hit, 2d10+10 damage, 15 for each of his saves. It will look that every attack just bounces right off of him, doing almost no damage. In addition the entire room has dimensional lock on it so any attempt to leave the room will instantly fail.
It will look hopeless except for one thing. Every time a spell is cast several runes in the room will become brighter. The higher the spell level, the more runes that brighten. As the room become filled with light, the statue will weaken as shown on the below table.

{table=head]Total Spell Levels Cast|DR|AC|Hit|Damage|saves
2|9|28|+13/+8|2d8+9|14
5|7|25|+11/+5|2d6+8|12
9|5|22|+9|1d10+5|9
15|3|17|+7|1d8+3|5
20|0|10|+5|1d6+1|2[/table]

Bulhakov
2013-07-03, 06:39 PM
Loyalty:

Two rails go along the walls of a long corridor that appears to be endless. Markings on the walls show figures holding hands, also one rail seems to be marked +, the other -.

If all party members hold hands with the ones at each end holding the two rails, a gate appears at the end of the corridor. If they let go for any reason the gate disappears. If they reconnect, they will always be as far away from the gate as at the start.

As characters walk towards the gate they are periodically zapped with electricity, frightened or tempted with illusions, but will in time reach the ending gate and step through it.

Honesty:

I'm still thinking how to utilize the cruelest honesty puzzle of all: "Does this dress make me look fat?"

neonchameleon
2013-07-03, 07:17 PM
What are some fun challenges/puzzles/encounters based around:
Loyalty?

One must stay behind while the rest continue the quest. The correct answer is "One out, all out" - the PCs refuse to leave one behind. The forfeit is that the PC who stayed behind catches them up - or rather a doppelganger does who is trying to convince the others to fail.

Honesty?

Prisoner's Dilemma. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner%27s_dilemma)

Laughter?

I can't think of anything here.

Kindness?

You handle that as a framing - you put random pained and slighly obnoxious NPCs in to guide them to the challenges and the pass/fail is based on how they treat the NPCs.

Generosity?

Again this is about NPCs and needs. And do they go above and beyond in certain challenges?

Almaseti
2013-07-03, 07:28 PM
Laughter could be an encounter with a foe that is obviously too powerful for them who doesn't really want to fight. But it's sort of lonely, so it won't let them leave until they've made it laugh with a joke.

Bulhakov
2013-07-04, 01:31 AM
Laughter

- a room filled with watermelons on tiny pedestals, one holds a key to the exit
- there's a huge sledgehammer on the center pedestal :D