PDA

View Full Version : Adventure in the City of Coin (Mission 1a)

Philemonite
2013-07-03, 09:49 AM
The Order Of The Radiant Heart

A diplomatic mission sounded so simple when Walden told you. You just need to convince the order to assist you, but things are never that simple. As you enter the Temple District you are amazed by it's beauty. Looking at it you almost forget all the corruption and crime taking place inside the city walls. All of the temples and a few estates are beautifully decorated, but the temple of Helm stands out as both largest and best decorated. You snap out of your amazement, and realizing you have a mission to do, and you head in the direction that Walden marked on your map.

LtPowers
2013-07-04, 03:50 PM
Adrie practically skips through the Temple District, though the chainmail she wears weighs her down a bit. She looks in awe at the impressive edifices, beaming. Her cat follows dutifully behind.

"Isn't this just incredible?" she asks rhetorically. She spins around, taking it all in. "I think a festhall would fit in perfectly here, don't you?"

Suddenly, she stops, looking at the largest of the buildings, and ***** her head quizzically. "I wonder who's using the Temple of Helm these days," she ponders.

Adrie Everbright

Daveheart
2013-07-05, 07:42 AM
Derek appears from behind a tree, in front of the Order.
He brushes his cape with his hands, frowning a bit. "Resin. Damn."
He finally gives up and approaches the priestess, a bit sullen.
"I must report that I didn't find a lot of useful things. A few of Seldor's former employees had some pending grievances with him, but nothing that could hold in a court. Apparently he's not easy to work with, but that's no crime.
So, in short, we're on our own.
How about you two ladies? Anything more from Walden?"

LtPowers
2013-07-10, 09:45 AM
Adrie relates the story of the coins and Lord Fardon, producing the coin for the bard to inspect.

"I'm not sure how far I trust Walden," she admits. "There's a lot he's not telling us, but exactly how much -- or how dangerous it is -- isn't at all clear."

Adrie Everbright

Daveheart
2013-07-12, 07:16 AM
Derek ponders the possibilities, one hand scratching his hair.

"Nice guy, this Walden! I think we can use this, but we need to chose a strategy to approach Lord Fardon. Here's what comes into my mind:

The direct approach: we tell Lord Fardon that we have reasons to question the honesty of Seldor, showing him the coin and telling him to check with an emissary of the Cowled Wizards if he doesn't trust us. We can also add the suspicion of him being involved with slavers, honestly telling that we have no proof, but that it may be enough to search his house for evidence.
We would be telling simply the truth and we could volunteer for every divination Fardon has available. It would also put us in the spotlight, which may not be advisable.
We could try to lure Fardon to our side: we could say that we work for a collector of coins and that our employer requests Fardon's assistance to see if his latest purchase is original, comparing it with his wonderful, famous pieces of art. We could act surprised since ours should be indistinguishable from his (strange, since they were made especially for him) and suggest to investigate a forgery. If this coin is real as Walden says, Seldor would be the only possible culprit. We add something about his dealings with slavers, and we get a search. I wonder how Walden got this one, though... That may be out of our control.
In this case we would simply bluff him about our identities, but we keep telling the truth on the most important aspects.

I can think of other solutions, but before tell me what do you think, please. We'll need to play as a team, so it's better if we share the same opinion on our tactic"

LtPowers
2013-07-12, 08:09 AM
Adrie considers the options. "I'm no Paladin," she says, "but there are a lot of them in the Order of the Radiant Heart. I have to think that at some point, our ruse would be discovered, and that'd immediately prejudice the Order against us. Were I a better actress, perhaps..."

Adrie Everbright

Daveheart
2013-07-12, 09:07 AM
"Well, I'm happy I asked. The other options were even more reckless..."
Derek chuckles.
"Let's stick to the facts, shall we? We have rumors from Walden and a coin in our pocket. I'm not confident I will be able to detect a forgery on sight, so if we want to use this coin to persuade the Order, we need to explain why we have it."
The bard turns his back while he talks, unable to stay still.
"Saying "We got this coin from a shady guy who told us Lord Seldor is a slaver" isn't going to bring us that far. We could also get arrested for slander, fraud or theft, depending on how the conversation flows."
Derek turns again, facing Adrie.
"Do you have another idea about how we could explain our possession of the coin, maybe? Remember that I also don't trust Walden that much, so it needs to be a reason that keeps us safe in case we discover THIS coin is a forgery."
Derek looks at the women, waiting for suggestions.

Philemonite
2013-07-23, 09:42 AM
As you around the district you don't even notice that you have already approached The Order Of The Radiant Heart. You only realize that when a guards stops you at the entrance.
"Is there something I can help you with?" He asks with a friendly tone.

LtPowers
2013-07-24, 10:49 AM
"Hmm, I hadn't considered that," Adrie replies to Derek. Her thoughts are interrupted by the guard.

"Good morning!" she cheerfully replies, shifting modes instantaneously. "We'd like to speak to someone about some possible corruption in the city's nobility... slavery, bribery, kidnapping, that sort of thing. Is there anyone who could help us look into it?"

Adrie Everbright

Daveheart
2013-07-25, 07:45 AM
Derek does not notice the paladin coming from behind him until it's too late, that is AFTER Adrie innocently blabbers about everything he was planning to keep concealed, at least for the moment.

He closes his eyes, mentally facepalms and then decides he has to go with the flow, somehow.
Frantically, he considers possibilities:

"Make it look like she was joking? No point, we'll have to say the truth in the end.
Go with the first idea of simply saying the truth? Risky business, worst case scenario we fail and we get jailed.
Intervene and specifically ask about Lord Fardon? Maybe this guy is simply a doorman and he won't speak about our businesses with his superiors...
Aaah, screw it, I'll try it!"

Derek reopens his eyes and literally unsheaths a "good and law abiding citizen" face. His back is straight, but the head is slightly bowing. He smiles, but it's a simple cordial smile, without the usual mischievous eyes. You'd even say his hair looked shorter, or at least less gipsy-like. Fun to watch.

"Actually, good soldier, we've been recommended to talk to Lord Fardon. Is he inside?"

Waiting for the answer he tries his best to inconspicuously meet Inoue's gaze.
He agreed to follow her lead, but if no suggestions arrived, no way he'd keep silent.

Philemonite
2013-07-25, 08:00 AM
"Lord Fardon?" The guard repeats the name with confusion in his eyes. In his confusion he even forgets to answer to Adrie.
"Yes, he is here, but he is off-duty today. Did he come to meet with you?"

Daveheart
2013-07-25, 11:11 AM
Derek swiftly thinks: "Oh damn, did Warden organize a meeting by any chance? Then why didn't he tell Adrie and Inoue? No, probably he's not waiting for us. He's off duty, he shouldn't be busy, so lying would be a pointless risk: why should he send us away?"

He then answers the guard.
"If he is here, we'd like to talk to him. But if you meant that he came today to meet someone in particular, I don't think we are the people he was waiting for: we don't know him personally yet."

Philemonite
2013-07-30, 06:29 AM
The guard was now even more confused.
"Well, I could take you to him, but I'm not sure I should. Lord Fardon doesn't like to be disturbed. What is this about anyway?" The guard asked while scratching his head.

LtPowers
2013-07-30, 09:55 AM
Adrie interjects. "I don't think we need to talk to Lord Fardon right away, Derek... if he's busy, we shouldn't bother him unless we have to," she offers, smiling sweetly at the bard. She turns back to the guard. "As I said before, we'd like to discuss our suspicions regarding some very nasty activities that involve one or more of the city's nobles. Surely there's someone around who can speak with us? Isn't the Order dedicated to rooting out such corruption? We're just trying to help."

Adrie Everbright

Philemonite
2013-08-06, 10:13 AM
The guard looks at you with such confusion that you start to feel sorry for him. It appears it is his first day on guard duty, and he doesn't really know what he is doing. He is so nervous that he starts stuttering.
"S.s.so, you are c.c.concerned citizens? Lord Queldon should be able to help you. J.j.just go straight in and t.t.take the second door to the right. He's the big guy with a beard, you can't miss him."
You leave the young guard, not wanting to confuse him any more. As you enter you are amazed by the sight. The walls, the doors, even the celling, everything is decorated and bursting with pride and honor, and slight arrogance. That is exactly what you would expect from a paladin gathering site, but it is so much more. As you walk through the main hall you notice a few guards looking at you. You follow the guard's directions and take the second door to the right. The small room you enter is mostly empty, with only some minor peaces of furniture. The only person in the room is a knight that fits the guard's description, so you assume you are in the right place. The guard looks at you with a mildly pleasant expression.
"Do you need something?" He asks with a commanding tone.

LtPowers
2013-08-06, 08:27 PM
"Lord Queldon?" asks Adrie with a smile. "Adrie Everbright, Joybringer of Lliira and concerned resident."

She allows the others to introduce themselves as they see fit.

Philemonite
2013-08-08, 04:22 AM
The old Paladin's face changes to a slight smile as Adrie introduces herself.
"I am Lord Queldon, one of the residing knights. It is always pleasure to meet a Joybringer, but I believe that the occasion that brings you and your companions here is not a joyous one. What are your concerns my lady?"
You notice that Lord Queldion did not waste time on long introductions and you realize that he is very direct person and his room seams to reflect that.

Daveheart
2013-08-08, 07:44 AM
Derek mentally lifts an eyebrow when Lord Queldon says the words "your companions" with a different tone of voice.
He's already been in similar situations before, and hopes he's mistaken.

Insight roll [roll0] : is Lord Queldon prejudiced against him as a bard?

Derek misunderstands, believes Lord Queldon despises bards and stays silent not to hinder the mission.

Original post:
If Derek believes he is, he stays silent. If he believes he is not, he replies:

"Pleasure to meet you, Lord Queldon. Derek's my name, please indulge me if I go straight to the point. We've been hearing some bad rumors at the Five Flagons. About slavers having a base in this city. Is it possible? And may we be of assistance in case?"

LtPowers
2013-08-12, 10:10 AM
Adrie looks for Lord Queldon's holy symbol, if he has one, to determine his religious affiliation. Take 10 on any checks.

After either Kaede introduces herself or Adrie does it for her, the priestess notes Derek's reticence. "And this is Derek," she quickly adds, sparing a slight glance in the bard's direction. "We know you're busy, milord, but we were hoping you could spare a bit of time to help, or at least point us in the right direction."

She takes a breath and continues, still with her ever-present smile. "We're concerned that one of the members of the local nobility has been doing some truly vile things -- slavery, kidnapping, and smuggling, at the least. But this noble holds power in the city, and has powerful friends. We believe that only an organization with the prestige and credibility of the Order of the Radiant Heart would be able to investigate these crimes without being accused of ulterior motives, or incompetence... or whatever other lies and deceptions these people might use to escape justice."

She gauges the knight's reaction, hoping her appeal the Order's values will keep him interested.

Adrie Everbright

Philemonite
2013-08-13, 10:58 AM
Torm:smallwink:

"Lady Everbright you are too kind, and we do not deserve such praises. As for your request I will try to assist you but first I must ask do you have any proof of this man's crime? Any witness? It is not that I do not believe you, but it would help my investigation if I knew the reason of your concerns."

History roll, just for fun:smallwink:

Daveheart
2013-08-16, 10:06 AM
Well, my Lord, house Seldor has been known for firing servants much more frequently than the usual.
No one of them ever filed a complaint here?
We too are looking around on our own, maybe we could meet someone of them to talk. No offence meant, but there are people in the world that simply clam up in front of law abiding organizations such as yours.
Maybe we could be help each other, for a greater good?

Derek does not gesture a lot nor puts the usual emphasis on his facial expression. He's trying to radiate a "fundamentally good person" vibe.

Philemonite
2013-08-18, 06:24 AM
Queldon sighed before answering Derek's question.
"There have been a few complaints from former servants. Actually, a bit more then a few, but no proof. I don't have a single evidence of this misdeeds. I understand your concerns, but I can not just go to the house of a respected noble and say I think he is corrupt. If you have something concrete leads I can say that I am just following evidence."

LtPowers
2013-08-18, 01:08 PM
Adrie wants to hold their trump card until it's absolutely necessary. "Do you know of a merchant by the name of Daneir? We think that Lord Seldor is holding him prisoner to prevent his knowledge of these illegal activities from becoming public."

She pleads with Queldon with her eyes. "We have a saying where I come from: 'Whence the wind, comes also the storm'. At some point, all of these complaints and bits of evidence must add up to enough to justify looking more deeply into Seldor's affairs."

Adrie Everbright

Daveheart
2013-08-18, 09:00 PM
Derek curses inside. He tries to hide it, but he's quite angry.
Bluff vs insight roll: 28 vs 21, passed in OOC thread

"Perfect. Now she practically handcuffed us.
Supposing they manage, Khoren, Askus and Xardis are bound to raise some confusion to save the merchant. Tomorrow this old man will remember that she mentioned Daneir's name and he'll make the connection. Practically she just implicitly admitted that we are in league with someone who by tomorrow will have attacked the prison.
Nice business card to show to a high ranking paladin of the city you live in...
And so much for keeping a low profile."

Derek thinks again of the possibilities.

"Queldon does not look forgetful or stupid. I have to confirm he's also not obsessed with the laws, otherwise we're burnt as public faces. Maybe we're lucky and he thinks along the lines of "ends justify means".
If his behaviour is too lawful, I'm ditching the cleric and I'll try to divert Queldon's attention on the coin Walden gave us.
If it's not, I will support the cleric's approach for some more time."

As quickly as possible, Derek tries to figure a way to ask, without contradicting Adrie yet, without changing topic and without raising suspicions. The best he manages is:

"Milord, it seems to me that you would be willing to investigate Lord Fardon, but you feel your hands are tied by the need to follow procedures. Am I right? Don't you think that sometimes rules are in the way of reaching the greater Good?"
Will roll if needed. Considering Derek thinks Queldon is prejudiced against him, he will not be as convincing as usual. He will have a malus, maybe like -2, in this roll

Philemonite
2013-08-25, 01:20 PM
"I have not heard of this Daneir. I have some suspicions about Lord Seldor, and the guards are unfortunately prone to bribery, so it is not a surprise. I understand what you are saying, but the situation is not that simple."
Queldon's soft smile changes to a frown, as he tries to explain the situation.
"It is not just the procedures, we do have enough authority, but Lord Seldor is not an ordinary person. He is backed by some very powerful people, I need to be sure before I can do anything. My suspicions are simply not enough of a proof. I need something... tangible."

Daveheart
2013-08-26, 01:44 AM
"What about a different approach? If Lord Seldor were to be accused of a different crime, would that give you the possibility to conduct a search of his property?
If he's a corrupted man, it's possible he made himself guilty of other charges, like forgery, fraud..."

Derek finishes his speech looking at Adrie and his eyes briefly dart on her pouch.

LtPowers
2013-08-26, 09:22 AM
Adrie nods at Derek. "There is something. We understand that your colleague, Lord Fardon, has a collection of Rashemi coins. He's probably shown them to you. Apparently, Lord Seldor exchanged at least two of those coins for fakes before delivering them to Fardon."

She pulls out the coin that Walden gave her. "We believe this coin to be one of the originals. If we can prove that this is an original, and that at least two of Fardon's collection are fake, would that be sufficient evidence for your investigation to begin?"

Adrie Everbright

Philemonite
2013-08-29, 10:03 AM
"I have seen the coins you speak of and this one does resemble the once in Lord Fardon's collection. If we can indeed prove that this coin is real, and the other once are fake that would be enough to at least search his estate. Might I inquire about the method you used to obtain this coin?"

LtPowers
2013-08-29, 11:58 AM
Adrie pauses before replying. "We were given the coin, and the tale, by a concerned citizen. We'd rather not say more at the moment; this person must have had reasons for wanting to remain anonymous. And indeed, it could turn out that we're being played for patsies... In truth, we're as eager as you are to find out if this coin is real or not. We weren't sure quite how to do that. Are the real coins magical in some way?"

Adrie Everbright

Philemonite
2013-09-01, 09:43 AM
Queldon sighed after hearing Adrie's answer.
"Well, I guess I can understand that. I trust that this concerned citizen obtained it legally?
As for your question, it was made by the Witches of Rashemen, so it must be magical. I believe that Cowled Wizards can determine if it is real or not. Come to me in a few days if you wish to know the results of my investigation. I am grateful for your assistance."

Daveheart
2013-09-02, 04:48 PM
Derek smiles satisfied until Queldon says "a few days"... "Damn, by then the others will have already done their part. We should try to speed things up."
A shrewd and dangerous plan starts to form in Derek's mind.
If it works, it will cover the mentioning of Daneir, and contains no lies, but just misdirections.
Derek is a man of plans, but also of gambles. So, he decides to try his luck. First, some dramatization.

"It is as she says, Sir. Our contact did not tell us about the origin of this coin. But that person knew we were going to speak with you.
Even if this citizen had committed an act that was... less than lawful, the aim was the greater good, I'm sure.
And moreover, this may help you to inquire for forgery, but ultimately what we should be concerned with is slavery. You will surely agree that depriving a person of his freedom is a much heavier sin, and any suspicion of it should be cleared, no matter the cost."

"Ok. Now, we need a plausible suggestion."
Derek bows thanking the paladin and starts to turn away in the other direction, then, as if he suddenly remembered something, he faces Lord Queldon again and says:

"But Sir, don't you think we could get some info about the coin directly from Lord Fardon, right now? Maybe they have some special property he could check without needing the Wizard's assistance."

"And now, the fork." Derek frowns, and assumes a worried face, as he continues:

"It's all for the sake of speed: truth is, we heard about this "Daneir" person Adrie mentioned from the same one who told us about the coin. Maybe I misunderstood, but this person seemed... concerned, and I have to hope not enough to do some stupid thing. I would feel guilty if I didn't do all I could today and something bad happened."

"Ok. At worst, he doesn't trust me, gives the coin to the wizards and tomorrow he realizes we were in league with the other guys. But our cover was already weakened, so it's worth the risk by now. And once the wizards have the coin, I don't think they will keep it in a drawer. They will investigate anyway, so mission accomplished, but we're burnt.
At best, Fardon helps us, the Order searches before the prisonbreak and when Queldon will ask us about it, we can now play innocent and say that it was probably organized by our contact, who did not trust us, which is not a complete lie. If Queldon wants Walden's name, we will say we swore not to say. We may even do it for real later, it might help the priestess if Queldon interrogates us. Mission accomplished, face with the Order saved and no mention of our employer.
Not perfect at all, but once I get the chance to explain to Adrie, I think I can persuade her. I gambled with worse odds."

Woah, that was LONG. Why did I decide to make Derek so plotty? :smallsigh: Will roll whatever you want me to.

Philemonite
2013-09-04, 05:20 AM
"I can certainly understand why you want this resolved as soon as possible, but do not worry about it. I will take the coin to Lord Fardon myself, and the Wizards will have it by sundown. You can thank the concerned citizen, he has down well by sending the coin to me."
The paladin's face suddenly gains a very serious tone.
"And if you ever try that again I will show you just how quickly the Order can operate. Nothing personal. You can leave now."
He turns towards the Cleric and bows slightly.
"Lady Everbright it was a pleasure to meet you."

LtPowers
2013-09-04, 07:55 AM
"Lord Queldon, the same," Adrie replies with her usual smile. "To tell the truth, I rather hope we're wrong about Lord Seldor, but the more we hear, the more sure I am that we're not. As soon as you find something, please contact us at the Five Flagons. Lives may be at stake here."

She gently allows Derek to escort her out.

Adrie Everbright

Philemonite
2013-09-19, 06:21 AM
Mission accomplished.:smalltongue: