PDA

View Full Version : Need Immunity to Strength/Constitution Drain

Rossebay
2013-07-03, 12:10 PM
But I can't be undead or Warforged.

I'm taking the Wedded to History feat (Hand of Prophecy) and Pawn in the Great Game, and trying to just never actually die in combat.

Problematically, I'm not quite invincible because I can take that strength and con drain. How do I NOT take the drain?

Also, I'm a Frenzied Berserker/Barbarian build. If I take the drain while raging, does it just reduce the temporary points of strength that I have?

Edit: For those of you at home, Pawn in the Great game means that if I were to die, I make a save and if I pass I take 2 strength and con drain instead.

Souju
2013-07-03, 12:13 PM
There are some Pathfinder races and classes that give bonuses to effects that do that, but as for outright immunity without going undead or half-construct...can't think of any I'm afraid.

Zombulian
2013-07-03, 12:23 PM
But I can't be undead or Warforged.

I'm taking the Wedded to History feat (Hand of Prophecy) and Pawn in the Great Game, and trying to just never actually die in combat.

Problematically, I'm not quite invincible because I can take that strength and con drain. How do I NOT take the drain?

Also, I'm a Frenzied Berserker/Barbarian build. If I take the drain while raging, does it just reduce the temporary points of strength that I have?

Edit: For those of you at home, Pawn in the Great game means that if I were to die, I make a save and if I pass I take 2 strength and con drain instead.

Wedded to history is so good >.>
I think there may be an item... Gimme a bit.

Rossebay
2013-07-03, 12:23 PM
As above, how does strength and con drain work with Rage? Does it remove the strength bonus I recieved from Rage, which then vanishes, or does it directly impact my strength score?

Edit: Oh, sweet, thanks Zomb.

Zombulian
2013-07-03, 12:29 PM
Not a clue how it works with rage. Also, if you're willing to spend two feats, the quickest way I have just found is to take Shape Soulmeld (Strongheart Vest) and Open Greater Chakra (Waist). As a barbarian going into Totem Rager might be worth it anyway, so something to think about.

Karnith
2013-07-03, 12:30 PM
Binding Strongheart Vest to your waist chakra reduces ability drain by 1, plus 1 per point of essentia invested. It's feat-intensive if you're a Barbarian, but it could work.

EDIT: Swordsage'd.

Rossebay
2013-07-03, 12:34 PM
Well I can afford a Continuous item of sheltered vitality, I believe, but spell level 3 caster level 5 is 60,000 gold out of my 66,000 gold I'm allotted.

Are there any cheaper ways of doing this?

Zombulian
2013-07-03, 12:41 PM
Well I can afford a Continuous item of sheltered vitality, I believe, but spell level 3 caster level 5 is 60,000 gold out of my 66,000 gold I'm allotted.

Are there any cheaper ways of doing this?

Bone Ring! MIC 20,000 gp! Immunity to ability drain 3 times per day. HAIL TO THE KING BABY

EDIT: wait that's not how it works. 1 charge per drain prevented. 3/day. Still works for what you need tho.

Rossebay
2013-07-03, 12:45 PM
Oh, sweet.
So I just buy 2 of them and it covers me for one death, haha. Well, that's 40,000 leaving me with 26,000 which is NICE, but can we get cheaper?

Are there any shenanigans we can pull to reduce the caster level required to make magic items?

So could I do like... Caster level 1, spell level 3 continuous item of sheltered vitality?

that'd be 12,000 gold instead of 60,000. So are there any ways to reduce caster level or spell level when making magic items?

Zombulian
2013-07-03, 12:50 PM
Oh, sweet.
So I just buy 2 of them and it covers me for one death, haha. Well, that's 40,000 leaving me with 26,000 which is NICE, but can we get cheaper?

Are there any shenanigans we can pull to reduce the caster level required to make magic items?

So could I do like... Caster level 1, spell level 3 continuous item of sheltered vitality?

that'd be 12,000 gold instead of 60,000. So are there any ways to reduce caster level or spell level when making magic items?

Unless you can find a class that casts Sheltered Vitality at a lower level than what you originally found, nope.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-07-03, 01:05 PM
if you dip one level of binder (ToM) would allow you to heal 1 point of ability drain every hour.

As for how drain interacts with the str/con bonus from rage, treat it like what it is a bonus, say you have 14 base str and rage gives you a +2 bonus, so you have effectively 16 str. Now a shadow drains you 2 points of str, you take them from your original score so now you have 12 str+2 (rage bonus)= 14 str; but when your rage ends, you loose that bonus and now have 12 str.

Zombulian
2013-07-03, 01:07 PM
if you dip one level of binder (ToM) would allow you to heal 1 point of ability drain every hour.

As for how drain interacts with the str/con bonus from rage, treat it like what it is a bonus, say you have 14 base str and rage gives you a +2 bonus, so you have effectively 16 str. Now a shadow drains you 2 points of str, you take them from your original score so now you have 12 str+2 (rage bonus)= 14 str; but when your rage ends, you loose that bonus and now have 12 str.

Makes sense.
Also you can just take the Feat: Bind Vestige

Karnith
2013-07-03, 01:11 PM
Also you can just take the Feat: Bind Vestige
Unfortunately, that only gets you Naberius's Skills. You actually need to be a Binder to get Faster Ability Healing.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-07-03, 01:13 PM
When you bind a vestige using the Bind vestige feat, you only gain one (or two if you take the Practiced Binder feat) ability from the vestige, furthermore it is a set ability which is explained in table 1-9 page 74 in ToM. Binding Naberious this way gets you Naberious skills ( treat Con mod untrained skills as trained IIRC) and Silver tongue (bonus to diplomacy and can rush checks without the penalty) with Practiced Binder). To get the faster ability healing you need to dip binder for at least 1 level.

Swordsaged;

Zombulian
2013-07-03, 01:32 PM
Aw that's lame.

Rossebay
2013-07-03, 01:35 PM
But does it heal Ability Drain, or just Damage?

Karnith
2013-07-03, 01:36 PM
But does it heal Ability Drain, or just Damage?
The Naberius vestige lets you heal both. You heal ability damage at a rate of 1 point per round (for each of your ability scores), and you heal ability drain at a rate of 1 point per hour (again, for each of your ability scores).

Dusk Eclipse
2013-07-03, 01:36 PM
Ability damage at 1 point per round and ability drain at 1 point per hour.

Rossebay
2013-07-03, 02:03 PM
Oooh.

So this would just be a 1-level dip?

Karnith
2013-07-03, 02:04 PM
Oooh.

So this would just be a 1-level dip?
A one-level dip in Binder would be sufficient to bind Naberius, yes, though bear in mind that he "manifests only for a summoner with at least 4 ranks in Bluff or in any Knowledge or Profession skill." If you don't have those skill ranks yet, Bluff, several Knowledge skills, and Profession are all class skills for a binder, who gets 2+Int mod skill points per level.