PDA

View Full Version : Things that go boom?

Silvanoshei
2013-07-03, 12:16 PM
In 3.5, what liquids, material, or magical things are highly explosive if lit on fire?

Zombulian
2013-07-03, 12:22 PM
Explosive? Hmm. First thing I can think of is alchemist's fire. But you probably know it.

Some that is surprisingly useful is grease/lantern oil. Both burn incredibly well for how cheap they are. Though they are not explosive per say.

CaladanMoonblad
2013-07-03, 12:25 PM
There are no game mechanics for it, but a number of acids (concentrated ascetic acid, pyroligmeus acid, etc.) are very dangerous if exposed to an open flame. There are however mechanics for lighting a pint of oil on fire. As long as there is a possible chemical reaction (http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/earth/geophysics/fire1.htm) between fuel and oxygen in the presence of heat.... it's flammable.

nedz
2013-07-03, 04:22 PM
Dwarves burn well, especially if you put lard in their beards and light it. They'll explode in an angry rage too.

inuyasha
2013-07-03, 07:45 PM
Dwarves burn well, especially if you put lard in their beards and light it. They'll explode in an angry rage too.

^^this, combined with your dwarf tossing training it works

Humble Master
2013-07-03, 07:55 PM
There are explosives in the modern weapons table in the Dungeon Master's Guide but they aren't very good.

almightycoma
2013-07-03, 09:40 PM
I think a necklace of fireball explodes if fit with fire.

Silvanoshei
2013-07-03, 11:00 PM
Really? I thought there might be like a magic river, a type of wood, or something gas'ish that could blow up. I'm a little sad. :(

unseenmage
2013-07-04, 01:30 AM
Excerpts from Shax's Indispensible Haversack
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101

Explosive Pack

Price: 200 GP
Weight: 2#
(Secrets of Sarlona p. 138)
An alchemical explosive that can be set to go off after a predetermined time, usually 1 to 10 rounds. 1d6 bludgeoning and slashing damage in a 5' radius burst. Full-round action that provokes AoOs to activate. For another 200 GP, you can add 2 lbs of explosives and increase the damage by 1d6, and for each 3d6 damage, the blast radius increases by 5', up to a maximum of 10d6 and 20'. A Profession (Siege Engineer) check DC 20 causes double damage to objects, and a DC 30 check does triple. Note: the DMG has slightly cheaper bombs (150 GP for 2d6 fire damage) if you're just looking for something you can light and throw.
Craft (Alchemy) DC: 26

Blast Disk
Price: 900 GP
Weight: 1#
(Magic Item Compendium p. 152)
While I appreciate that this explosive can be set off either by proximity or a timer, a Glyph Seal (Magic Item Compendium p. 161) can do so much more, and be used over and over again.

Also the country of Lantan in the Forgotten Realms snuck gunpowder into their universe with a little help from the god of craftsgnomes Gond.
Sadly, from what I can tell, they use the stats for firearms already mentioned from the DMG page 144.

And I found repeated references to this Oil of Impact but could not find a 3.x source:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Oil_of_Impact

And finally Explosive Runes (PHB228)

Edit: You can get some decent extraplanar implosion/explosions by either snapping a Staff of the Magi in two (DMG artifact) or stuffing your Bag of Holding into your Handy Haversack (also DMG). :smallcool:

Seffbasilisk
2013-07-04, 07:31 AM
Dust. Flour. Grain silos. Black powder (Depending on campaign availability,) or if innovation is furthered willow charcoal, bat guano (easily available in spell component pouch,) and sulfur (also known as brimstone, characteristically smells of rotten eggs.)

I'll second the Blast Disk. I've got a druid who's planning on using one surrounded by five Quaal's feather token: Trees.

Helm of Brilliance is referred to as walking onto the battlefield with a nuke as a hat.