PDA

View Full Version : Belkar will be killed...

Harbinger
2013-07-03, 12:56 PM
...BY KILKIL!

Come on, wouldn't it make sense? Belkar has killed a huge amount of kobolds. Wouldn't it be ironic if he was killed BY one? Especially one as unimposing as Kilkil? There's also the fact that his name sounds like Kill Kill. Here's how I think it will play out: Belkar will attack Kilkil, thinking him an easy opponent and threatening to make him into a hat or something like that. Then, Kilkil will reveal some sort of magical prowess that proves him a much larger threat than previously thought. They will fight for a while, with Kilkil coming out on top. For extra irony points, the accountant will make Belkar's head into a hat.

RMS Oceanic
2013-07-03, 01:02 PM
I think Kilkil will pose a threat to Belkar by Belkar's dangerously low constitution. A few decent stabs, even by an NPC class of any level, could put him out of action.

F.Harr
2013-07-03, 01:38 PM
Possible. I still have a feeling that it will be in defence of the last gate, for maximum story-telling impact. It would also be more poetic if a reserected Yokyok did it. Or an as-yet unknown Yakyak or Yekyek.

137beth
2013-07-03, 02:29 PM
Possible. I still have a feeling that it will be in defence of the last gate, for maximum story-telling impact. It would also be more poetic if a reserected Yokyok did it. Or an as-yet unknown Yakyak or Yekyek.

Don't forget about Ysometimesykysometimesyk!

Rogar Demonblud
2013-07-03, 02:33 PM
If Kilkil DID kill Belkar, I suspect it'd be by 'accidentally' dropping his abacus on the halfling's unprotected bare foot.

martianmister
2013-07-03, 02:57 PM
If Kilkil DID kill Belkar, I suspect it'd be by 'accidentally' dropping his abacus on the halfling's unprotected bare foot.

It will be happeded off-screen.

Shred-Bot
2013-07-03, 03:07 PM

Or perhaps by entangling him in bureaucratic red tape and then constricting. And then spouting some accountant catchphrase like "Looks like your friends won't be incoming to save your assets now!"

TRH
2013-07-03, 03:08 PM
Or perhaps by entangling him in bureaucratic red tape and then constricting. And then spouting some accountant catchphrase like "Looks like your friends won't be incoming to save your assets now!"

If Kilkil was a Dashing Swordsman, those puns would be a +10 to hit right there.

Shred-Bot
2013-07-03, 03:14 PM
It will be happeded off-screen.

And then the forums would burst into flames from all the "OMG he isn't dead WE DON'T SEE THE BODY!!!" posts.

137beth
2013-07-03, 03:17 PM
And then the forums would burst into flames from all the "OMG he isn't dead WE DON'T SEE THE BODY!!!" posts.

But they couldn't do that! The hero has to believe the villain is dead until he reappears! Elan said so:smalltongue:

The Pilgrim
2013-07-03, 03:18 PM
Bekar is right now as weak as a level 1 adventurer. Probably even more. So, if Kilkil can dodge the Cat, he should be able to kill him.

Vinsfeld
2013-07-03, 03:29 PM

"What kind of a stupid name would Yakyak be, anyway?" :smallwink:

F.Harr
2013-07-03, 07:51 PM
Don't forget about Ysometimesykysometimesyk!

Ha, ha, ha, ha,ha, ha, ha,!

If Kilkil was a Dashing Swordsman, those puns would be a +10 to hit right there.

How do we know he isn't? People have secret lives.

"What kind of a stupid name would Yakyak be, anyway?" :smallwink:

:D

Demolator
2013-07-03, 07:58 PM

We didn't see Tsukiko's body either...interesting...

Harbinger
2013-07-03, 09:25 PM
We didn't see Tsukiko's body either...interesting...

No, we saw Tsukiko's body. Just not her head, as it was being eaten by wights at the time.

137beth
2013-07-03, 09:40 PM
No, we saw Tsukiko's body. Just not her head, as it was being eaten by wights at the time.

Know what that means? It means Tsukiko will come back...as something with just a head...and is undead...yep, Tsukiko is now a demilich!

JackRackham
2013-07-03, 09:53 PM
Know what that means? It means Tsukiko will come back...as something with just a head...and is undead...yep, Tsukiko is now a demilich!

Your theory is unlikely.

Vinsfeld
2013-07-03, 09:53 PM

Seems legit :smalltongue:

Your theory is unlikely.

I don't think he meant it seriously

Bulldog Psion
2013-07-03, 10:00 PM
Yekyek indeed! :smallbiggrin:

angry_bear
2013-07-03, 11:39 PM

Don't be silly, she'll be a brain in a jar. There was foreshadowing and everything!

F.Harr
2013-07-04, 11:56 AM
Yekyek indeed! :smallbiggrin:

I think Yikyik was sometimes called "Yykyyk" as a nickname. It means "inconsistant vowel sound" becouse, as a hatchling, he had problems with his /aj/'s (that is, the long "i" sound in English).

Don't be silly, she'll be a brain in a jar. There was foreshadowing and everything!

Really? I wonder what the forshadowing was. :D

TRH
2013-07-04, 12:08 PM
I think Yikyik was sometimes called "Yykyyk" as a nickname. It means "inconsistant vowel sound" becouse, as a hatchling, he had problems with his /aj/'s (that is, the long "i" sound in English).

Really? I wonder what the forshadowing was. :D

:xykon: Be a vampire, or a ghost, or an immortal with a paint-by-numbers portrait in the rec room. Hell, even a brain-in-a-jar, in a pinch. Anything to avoid the Big Fire Below.

F.Harr
2013-07-04, 12:40 PM
Ah! O.K. Thanks.

angry_bear
2013-07-04, 02:10 PM
:xykon: Be a vampire, or a ghost, or an immortal with a paint-by-numbers portrait in the rec room. Hell, even a brain-in-a-jar, in a pinch. Anything to avoid the Big Fire Below.

Exactly, clearly foreshadowing Tsukiko's future appearance as a brain in a jar. :smalltongue:

TRH
2013-07-04, 02:21 PM
I wonder who gets to be our Dorian Grey expy, then? We've seen everything else in that Xykon quote.

Vinsfeld
2013-07-04, 05:37 PM

Can we have a "Ywkywk", then?

Belkar<3
2013-07-05, 12:23 AM
1st of all, Kilkil is an assistant. No weapons whatsoever.

And second, I resent the fact you're trying to ironically kill my favorite character in the comic.

:smallamused:

Harbinger
2013-07-05, 11:16 AM

And second, I resent the fact you're trying to ironically kill my favorite character in the comic.

But that's what makes it so great: you totally wouldn't expect Kilkil to have ANYTHING up his sleeve. Belkar sure wouldn't. I mean, for all we know Kilkil could be an all powerful wizard who just happens to work as Tarquin's accountant. :smallwink:

Kish
2013-07-05, 11:47 AM
Kilkil is not more powerful than "enough levels under Durkon to be paralyzed by Holy Word."

I hope Kilkil turns out to be nothing but the mid-level Expert he appears to be--and also that he kills Belkar.

RedneckTex95
2013-07-05, 11:47 AM
Belkar's one of my favorite characters, I'm *not* looking forward to his death at all. So I'll be upset if he gets killed by Kilkil of all kobolds.

TRH
2013-07-05, 12:50 PM
Belkar's one of my favorite characters, I'm *not* looking forward to his death at all. So I'll be upset if he gets killed by Kilkil of all kobolds.

In the context of Kobolds, what's wrong with Kilkil? The guy's adorable! And his name's easily the coolest yet. If not him, which Kobold would you have preferred to kill Bekar? The Oracle?

F.Harr
2013-07-05, 12:50 PM
Can we have a "Ywkywk", then?

Only if this comic were in Welsh.

It's totally inkeeping with Bekar being comedy gold.

But that's what makes it so great: you totally wouldn't expect Kilkil to have ANYTHING up his sleeve. Belkar sure wouldn't. I mean, for all we know Kilkil could be an all powerful wizard who just happens to work as Tarquin's accountant. :smallwink:

Because not everyone's cut out for adventuring and they still need to eat.

I hope Kilkil turns out to be nothing but the mid-level Expert he appears to be--and also that he kills Belkar.

O.K.

RadagastTheBrow
2013-07-05, 05:07 PM
Now now, Kilkil's a great evil-opposite to Belkar, the dual-wielding uncivilized outdoorsy ranger: A literal civil servant, an avid indoors-man, and he probably has two sets of books.

SaintRidley
2013-07-05, 06:58 PM
Only if this comic were in Welsh.

Yækyæk.

Æ was a letter back in Old English. It also happened to be the Old English word meaning law.

RMS Oceanic
2013-07-06, 05:11 AM
Yökyök maybe? :smalltongue:

Back on topic, I still believe that Kilkil will have no major abilities beyond an Expert, but Belkar's low constitution means he only needs a couple of lucky shots to triumph. There's a nice reversal thing going on then.

F.Harr
2013-07-07, 11:46 AM
Now we're branching into multiple languages? And Ash is also used in Icelandic.

Mua ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

:D

David Argall
2013-07-07, 12:07 PM
Now there is a Belkar vs Kobold theme, and The fact we have an office worker with possibly zero combat skills and a very weaken Belkar argues for a confrontation. But while a Belkar death is coming up [unless it is not], there are a variety of alternate ways both for that death and for how the battle will go. And the idea of the shoes good of war being aced by a wimp has some appeal, others seem so much better. So the confrontation is likely to end "peacefully", with both probably going to live to the next time.

137beth
2013-07-07, 01:21 PM
Now there is a Belkar vs Kobold theme, and The fact we have an office worker with possibly zero combat skills and a very weaken Belkar argues for a confrontation. But while a Belkar death is coming up [unless it is not], there are a variety of alternate ways both for that death and for how the battle will go. And the idea of the shoes good of war being aced by a wimp has some appeal, others seem so much better. So the confrontation is likely to end "peacefully", with both probably going to live to the next time.

So I'm guessing the whole "silly thread" vibe was lost on you?

Gift Jeraff
2013-07-07, 01:51 PM
How do we know his name is not pronounced "Keel-keel"?And he'll keelhaul Belkar underneath the Plesiosaur Express as revenge for this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0814.html).

Demolator
2013-07-07, 03:18 PM
How do we know his name is not pronounced "Keel-keel"?And he'll keelhaul Belkar underneath the Plesiosaur Express as revenge for this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0814.html).

That's actually how I always pronounce it when I read.

Harbinger
2013-07-08, 04:12 PM
Back on topic, I still believe that Kilkil will have no major abilities beyond an Expert, but Belkar's low constitution means he only needs a couple of lucky shots to triumph. There's a nice reversal thing going on then.

Well, the almighty wizard thing was a joke of course, but I seriously doubt that two people as competent as Tarquin and Malack would bring a kobold with zero combat skills into a dangerous combat zone. Even Nale wouldn't be stupid enough to do that. I doubt he's powerful enough to pose a threat to Belkar normally, but in Belkar's weakened state...

Nymrod
2013-07-08, 06:09 PM
Well, the almighty wizard thing was a joke of course, but I seriously doubt that two people as competent as Tarquin and Malack would bring a kobold with zero combat skills into a dangerous combat zone. Even Nale wouldn't be stupid enough to do that. I doubt he's powerful enough to pose a threat to Belkar normally, but in Belkar's weakened state...

Well for one thing, KilKil is an urd, not a kobold. It would make sense for him to be a low level sorcerer as well, though he is most likely an expert.
He also has several levels of some class for sure, at least by the rules. He got paralyzed, not smoked. Durkon is at about 13-14 right? That means KilKil has at least 4-5 HD (and no more than 8-9).

Paseo H
2013-07-08, 06:16 PM
Hey, don't sell Kilkil short.

He is clearly the Chief Priest of Pun Pun, the Kobold Munchkin God's presence upon the game world.

Adeptus
2013-07-09, 06:48 PM
Bekar is right now as weak as a level 1 adventurer. Probably even more. So, if Kilkil can dodge the Cat, he should be able to kill him.
Doesn't he do full damage, have nice magic daggers and really high attack? He just can't take damage.

SamEskenazi
2013-07-10, 05:12 AM
Something to remember about KilKil - we know somewhat what his level is.

As per Durkon's Holy Word a little while ago, he appears to have been paralyzed.

This means he is at least 5 levels below Durkon's level, but less than ten levels. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/holyWord.htm.

So, rouhgly level 5-10. I doubt he would be able to best Belkar then :P

Harbinger
2013-07-10, 04:06 PM
Something to remember about KilKil - we know somewhat what his level is.

As per Durkon's Holy Word a little while ago, he appears to have been paralyzed.

This means he is at least 5 levels below Durkon's level, but less than ten levels. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/holyWord.htm.

So, rouhgly level 5-10. I doubt he would be able to best Belkar then :P

Not usually, but Belkar is rather weakened from Malack's bite and that trap he stepped in, so Kilkil would have a considerably better chance than he would normally.

rodneyAnonymous
2013-07-10, 09:26 PM
Bekar is right now as weak as a level 1 adventurer.

No he isn't. Defensively, sort of, but he has the offense of a high level ranger.

F.Harr
2013-07-11, 02:06 PM
I just thought of something. If Kilkil is dead, did Belkar just tear off to turn his head into something?

137beth
2013-07-11, 06:03 PM
No he isn't. Defensively, sort of, but he has the offense of a high level ranger.

Belkar also has all the magic items appropriate to a character of his level. By those levels, that makes a HUGE difference.

The Pilgrim
2013-07-11, 07:03 PM

Assuming he is able to hit anything with a -14 (or so) to his attack roll. All the damage bonuses in the world won't amount to anything if you aren't able to hit your target.

Rakoa
2013-07-11, 07:39 PM
Assuming he is able to hit anything with a -14 (or so) to his attack roll. All the damage bonuses in the world won't amount to anything if you aren't able to hit your target.

That depends on whether you think him as CON damaged or level drained.

Gift Jeraff
2013-07-11, 07:56 PM
That depends on whether you think him as CON damaged or level drained.

He is both.

Harbinger
2013-07-11, 07:57 PM
I just thought of something. If Kilkil is dead, did Belkar just tear off to turn his head into something?

While that would be funny, I seriously doubt Belkar would risk his own life, as well as the life of his beloved cat, to make a hat out of Kilkil. Besides, post fake development Belkar probably wouldn't do that anymore anyway.

Kish
2013-07-11, 08:06 PM
He is both.
Actually, he's Constitution drained and level drained.

If he was merely Constitution damaged it would wear off.

Edit: Uh, but it looked like Malack level drained him once, so he has probably two negative levels. Not fourteen.

Gift Jeraff
2013-07-11, 08:12 PM
Actually, he's Constitution drained and level drained.

If he was merely Constitution damaged it would wear off.

Edit: Uh, but it looked like Malack level drained him once, so he has probably two negative levels. Not fourteen.

Durkon energy drains him in panel 4 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0879.html), and it seems the assumption is that, like the blood drain, Durkon energy drained him as much as possible. It was just condensed into one panel.

F.Harr
2013-07-12, 05:10 PM
While that would be funny, I seriously doubt Belkar would risk his own life, as well as the life of his beloved cat, to make a hat out of Kilkil. Besides, post fake development Belkar probably wouldn't do that anymore anyway.

That is an excellent point. Thanks.

Tock Zipporah
2013-07-12, 05:35 PM
Your theory is unlikely.

Like that ever stopped anyone on the Internet.

Side note: I'd like to see Belkar being "judged" in the afterlife like Roy was.

:belkar: *stab* Does anyone ELSE want to discuss my afterlife with me? Didn't think so!

IW Judicator
2013-07-12, 05:54 PM
Insane theory time:

During his fight with KilKil, Belkar will inevitably be forced to leap at his presumed victim in order to successfully attack him...but between the heat of the desert and stress on his body, his ring of +20 Jumping falls from his finger just after reaching the pinnacle of his jump, causing belkar to crash land into the crater created by the Rift.

Or, as as alternative, KilKil could scream complex math at Belkar until his little halfling mind overloads and he falls over dead from a complete mental melt down. (Though by that same token Belkar could slay KilKil with harsh language...)

The Pilgrim
2013-07-12, 06:47 PM

Good luck applying it with a -14 or so to his attack roll.

All the offensive power in the world won't help you when you can't hit your target.

137beth
2013-07-13, 12:18 AM
Good luck applying it with a -14 or so to his attack roll.

All the offensive power in the world won't help you when you can't hit your target.

He doesn't have a -14 on his attack roll, he still gets boosts from magic items. Which at his level are practically as good as his class features.

Rakoa
2013-07-13, 09:49 AM
He doesn't have a -14 on his attack roll, he still gets boosts from magic items. Which at his level are practically as good as his class features.

Just what magical items does Belkar have, exactly? I see a Ring of Jumping and daggers that may or may not actually be magical.

Kish
2013-07-13, 01:14 PM
I doubt very much that Belkar is quite that far below the Wealth By Level guidelines.

Relatively few magic items are highlighted, but potions appear out of hammerspace all the time, and we didn't find out that Haley's bow was a +3 bow until just after Crystal had destroyed it.

I won't mind if Belkar dies shortly. I'll be pleased if Kilkil the mid-level expert killkills him. But I am not betting on Belkar having fourteen negative levels (for the hell of it; Durkon drained him of blood because he HUNGERED FOR BLOOD, but there's no indication of Durkon thrashing Belkar with his slam attacks) and practically no magical equipment.

Oko and Qailee
2013-07-13, 01:43 PM

Class features count as part of the strength of a character, Belkar is ~lvl 15. He still has a lot more going for him than a lvl 1 adventurer. Heck, at this point Mr. Scruffy is stronger than a lvl 1 adventurer.

Oko and Qailee
2013-07-13, 01:44 PM
I won't mind if Belkar dies shortly. I'll be pleased if Kilkil killkills him. But I am not betting on Belkar having fourteen negative levels (for the hell of it; Durkon drained him of blood because he HUNGERED FOR BLOOD, but there's no indication of Durkon thrashing Belkar with his slam attacks) and practically no magical equipment.

I don't think he'll die to Kilkil TBH. Kilkil is mostly thrown in there as a "we need to make the LG be "complete".

Rakoa
2013-07-13, 06:26 PM
I don't think he'll die to Kilkil TBH. Kilkil is mostly thrown in there as a "we need to make the LG be "complete".

He is, but I can't see Rich bothering to draw him in to the story for the sake of that one joke. He will have some part to play.

Warren Dew
2013-07-13, 07:16 PM
...BY KILKIL!

Come on, wouldn't it make sense? Belkar has killed a huge amount of kobolds. Wouldn't it be ironic if he was killed BY one? Especially one as unimposing as Kilkil? There's also the fact that his name sounds like Kill Kill. Here's how I think it will play out: Belkar will attack Kilkil, thinking him an easy opponent and threatening to make him into a hat or something like that. Then, Kilkil will reveal some sort of magical prowess that proves him a much larger threat than previously thought. They will fight for a while, with Kilkil coming out on top. For extra irony points, the accountant will make Belkar's head into a hat.
Would be nice.

Which of course means it won't happen.

Oko and Qailee
2013-07-14, 02:21 AM
He is, but I can't see Rich bothering to draw him in to the story for the sake of that one joke. He will have some part to play.

He already plays a part though, as a symbol of bureaucracy for the LG. He's essentially an extension of Tarquin.

For him to kill Belkar would be extremely anti-climactic and dull. Especially since Belkars death has essentially been hammered home as being important.

Klear
2013-07-14, 05:29 AM
He already plays a part though, as a symbol of bureaucracy for the LG. He's essentially an extension of Tarquin.

Meh, I thought he played that part well enough back in the city. I never understood why Tarquin bothered to take him with him, so I'm assuming he will have some role to play. I don't think it's killing Belkar though.

Rakoa
2013-07-14, 11:09 AM

For him to kill Belkar would be extremely anti-climactic and dull. Especially since Belkars death has essentially been hammered home as being important.

I'm not saying that he will kill Belkar. Just that he wasn't introduced for the sake of a joke.

David Argall
2013-07-14, 12:31 PM
I'm not saying that he will kill Belkar. Just that he wasn't introduced for the sake of a joke.
No, for the sake of several jokes.He is just color, even if he gets a plot-important part later.

F.Harr
2013-07-14, 01:53 PM
Side note: I'd like to see Belkar being "judged" in the afterlife like Roy was.

:belkar: *stab* Does anyone ELSE want to discuss my afterlife with me? Didn't think so!

That would be cool.

By the way, it's possible that Belkar could survive all, then get killed by one of the flumphs, thought I'd think they'd rather kill Roy. But as a marquee character, I rather think he'd get a dramatic rather than a funny death.