PDA

View Full Version : Fleshing out a Spellthief Build

Khatoblepas
2013-07-03, 01:52 PM
So there's a soft spot in my heart for the poor old, maligned Spellthief, and it yearns to be used in a viable build. Master Spellthief does a lot of the heavy lifting, but it lacks one thing - the amount of stored spells a spellthief can hold is still dependant on his class level, and /not/ his combined arcane class levels. So, you need at least 9 levels of Spellthief to store and cast 9th level spells, so you're working at maximum capacity.

Of course, to get both stored 9ths and cast 9ths is a real challenge. I also want to get Absorb Spell and Steal Spell-Like Ability, as well.

The Build
Strongheart Halfling Bard 1/Spellthief 9/Sublime Chord 1/Unseen Seer 9

1) Apprentice (Entertainer)
B) Sanctum Spell*
3) Two Weapon Fighting
6) Master Spellthief
9) ????

*Once I've entered Sublime Chord, I could probably DCFS this out for something else. Sublime Chord grants 3rd level spells, so I could probably qualify for it by itself? Is that kosher? Before then, I designate my Sanctum underneath an oak tree and use an Acorn of Far Travel to keep myself considered inside it at all times, so I can take advantage of Master Spellthief early.

Since this is a dual focus thief/caster build, I'm not really sure where to go with it. I know a couple of the basic spellthief tricks, that is, stealing Invisibility from a Ring of Invisibility, colluding with Warlocks, stealing spells off of a party spellcaster for more variety. I wouldn't worry about my caster level, as it is either equal to my level, or:
(9 (Spellthief) + 10 (Sublime Chord + Unseen Seer)) + 10 (Master Spellthief).

But the main point is... where do I go with this build? I want to keep it elegant (so no PaO template stacking or fuzzy TO rules interpretations, please), and I want to see what a spellthief can do when it also has access to 9ths. I just don't have many more ideas than "Steal Ice Runes, take Arcane Preparation, enjoy free quickened spells". It also seems a bit weak during the first half of it's career, and I'm not sure how to fix that.

And some questions:
a) If I steal Ice Rune from an Immoth and scribe a spell on myself, once I lose the Ice Rune ability, what happens to the scribed spells? I've still used the ability within a minute of using it. (free action spells for me! Hooray!)

b) Some monsters have this ability: "Defensive Aura(Sp):A <creature> has a +X deflection bonus to Armor Class. This ability is always in effect.". What happens when I steal it?

c) If I steal a Yak Folk's Body Meld ability, will I ever be able to use it? It requires sustained contact for 20 minutes. But if I use it within the minute I use it, I am still casting it - I only lose it if I do not use it for a minute after I steal it.

Hunter Noventa
2013-07-03, 03:18 PM
And some questions:
a) If I steal Ice Rune from an Immoth and scribe a spell on myself, once I lose the Ice Rune ability, what happens to the scribed spells? I've still used the ability within a minute of using it. (free action spells for me! Hooray!)

b) Some monsters have this ability: "Defensive Aura(Sp):A <creature> has a +X deflection bonus to Armor Class. This ability is always in effect.". What happens when I steal it?

c) If I steal a Yak Folk's Body Meld ability, will I ever be able to use it? It requires sustained contact for 20 minutes. But if I use it within the minute I use it, I am still casting it - I only lose it if I do not use it for a minute after I steal it.

I'm AFB at the moment, but here's what I think about these-

A) Not sure what Ice Runes does, I presume it makes something like a scroll, only on your body? I'd say that if you cast ice Runes within the minute you'd have it, it goes off. it's like a spell with a duration of Instantaneous. if you stole a wizards' Wall of Iron and cast it, the wall wouldn't blink out a minute later.

B) Sounds like you'd gain the benefit of the ability for a minute automatically. Though I think those defensive aura type things as usually (Su), not (Sp).

C) Tougher, it's like casting a spell that has a casting time longer than the retention after theft, so it's hard to say, since there's not really a precedent for that. I'd be inclined to say you can do it, but there may be some kind of Concentration check involved.