PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] What does an ability check encompass?

Maginomicon
2013-07-03, 01:57 PM
If I have something that gives me a bonus to "dexterity checks", what all does that benefit me? Tumble checks? Ranged attack rolls?

Please supply a source if feasible.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-03, 02:00 PM
Any d20 roll that you add your Dexterity modifier to.

Edit: Here is a quote from the PHB glossary on pg 304.

ability check: A check of 1d20 + the appropriate ability modifier.

Zombimode
2013-07-03, 02:09 PM
Any d20 roll that you add your Dexterity modifier to.

Not quite. An ability check is any roll that is keyed to one of your abilities that isn't an attack roll (grapple checks are attack rolls).

CRtwenty
2013-07-03, 02:09 PM
Ability Checks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/usingSkills.htm#abilityChecks)
Sometimes a character tries to do something to which no specific skill really applies. In these cases, you make an ability check. An ability check is a roll of 1d20 plus the appropriate ability modifier. Essentially, you’re making an untrained skill check.

In some cases, an action is a straight test of one’s ability with no luck involved. Just as you wouldn’t make a height check to see who is taller, you don’t make a Strength check to see who is stronger.

Basically it's when you try to do anything stat based that isn't covered by a skill check, attack roll, or any other kind of specific roll.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-03, 02:13 PM
Maybe i should clarify it is and d20 roll that you only add your Dex modifier to. It doesn't count if you are adding 0, for example if you had 0 BAB a ranged attack role doesn't count because you are still adding your BAB.

Edit: Untrained skill checks also do not count.

Zombimode
2013-07-03, 02:22 PM
Maybe i should clarify it is and d20 roll that you only add your Dex modifier to.

Not precise enough. A Factotum 3 will add his int modifier on those dex and str checks too. A Marshal will add his cha bonus on pretty much anything he wants (or has the respective minor auras for) and certain feats, class features, spells and items may modify the rolls.

Slipperychicken
2013-07-03, 04:12 PM
If I have something that gives me a bonus to "dexterity checks", what all does that benefit me? Tumble checks? Ranged attack rolls?

Please supply a source if feasible.

Works on:
Initiative rolls.
Dexterity-based skill checks (Ride, Tumble, Move Silently, etc).
Some combat maneuvers (like tripping, if you took a feat to make it Dex-based)
Whenever the DM calls for a Dexterity check.

It will not work on attack rolls, however (I think it's because they're based on BAB, not ability scores). It does not apply to saving throws either (because they're based on the base saving throw bonus).

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-03, 06:50 PM
Works on:
Initiative rolls.
Dexterity-based skill checks (Ride, Tumble, Move Silently, etc).
Some combat maneuvers (like tripping, if you took a feat to make it Dex-based)
Whenever the DM calls for a Dexterity check.

It will not work on attack rolls, however (I think it's because they're based on BAB, not ability scores). It does not apply to saving throws either (because they're based on the base saving throw bonus).

Just to be clear where does it say skill checks are ability checks? The only thing I see close to that is that it says an ability check is like an untrained skill check.

Slipperychicken
2013-07-03, 07:24 PM
Just to be clear where does it say skill checks are ability checks? The only thing I see close to that is that it says an ability check is like an untrained skill check.

Those skill checks aren't Dexterity checks (those are d20+ability by default), they're Dexterty-based checks.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-03, 07:39 PM
Those skill checks aren't Dexterity checks (those are d20+ability by default), they're Dexterty-based checks.

Ah, but the OP says dexterity checks not dexterity-based checks.

Slipperychicken
2013-07-03, 11:05 PM
Ah, but the OP says dexterity checks not dexterity-based checks.

Initiative is still a Dex check.

Initiative Checks
At the start of a battle, each combatant makes an initiative check. An initiative check is a Dexterity check. Each character applies his or her Dexterity modifier to the roll. Characters act in order, counting down from highest result to lowest. In every round that follows, the characters act in the same order (unless a character takes an action that results in his or her initiative changing; see Special Initiative Actions).

If two or more combatants have the same initiative check result, the combatants who are tied act in order of total initiative modifier (highest first). If there is still a tie, the tied characters should roll again to determine which one of them goes before the other.

Tripping is an ability check (Strength), which can be Dex if you take some feat or other.