PDA

View Full Version : Quick Half-Elf Question

Drakeburn
2013-07-03, 09:56 PM
As I was working on a character sheet to save for a D&D game, I found myself scratching my head a bit about one of the racial features from the Half-Elf.

With the Dilettante feature, does that make the power of my choice the only encounter power, or an additional encounter power? :smallconfused:

Ashdate
2013-07-03, 09:59 PM
You choose an at-will power from a different class. You can use this power as an encounter power. This is in addition to the encounter powers your class normally gets.

Tegu8788
2013-07-04, 09:28 AM
To be clear, it has to be of a class you don't belong to. If you're a hybrid, it can't be from either of those classes. I'm unsure of how things work if you multiclass into a class later that you drew a power from. There is a fear that let's you substitute which stat you use for the power.

I also will point out, that unless you need the flexibility of an extra encounter power, I would suggest the Knack for Success power from the Essentials line. It's a minor action that's very flexible.

Dimers
2013-07-04, 12:55 PM
To be clear, it has to be of a class you don't belong to. If you're a hybrid, it can't be from either of those classes. I'm unsure of how things work if you multiclass into a class later that you drew a power from.

The latter is unproblematic. A MC feat doesn't make anything "your class"; instead, it allows you to qualify for feat and paragon path prerequisites as if you were a member.

I also will point out, that unless you need the flexibility of an extra encounter power, I would suggest the Knack for Success power from the Essentials line. It's a minor action that's very flexible.

Although one paragon feat with no prerequisites other than Half-Elf race lets you turn the Dilettante power back into an at-will. Given the generally lower potency of at-wills, that's used rarely except for ranger twin strike, for at-wills that count as basic attacks, or for in-game fluff reasons.

To address the original post further -- even if you were a half-elf (which gets you an encounter attack power) multiclassed into a controller class like wizard (which gets you an encounter attack power) with one of the many themes that gives you an encounter attack power, you would STILL get your choice of encounter attack power from your class as normal. Good question, though.