PDA

View Full Version : How reasonable is this Suggestion?

Jeff the Green
2013-07-03, 11:29 PM
My party stay out, please.

My party is fighting a haunting presence (LM 6) Spectral Lyrist and our psion is currently performing the ritual to force it to manifest. The presence has successfully fascinated one of the party members and can issue a Suggestion. The problem is, I'm not sure how "reasonable" this is:

[The psion]'s ritual will make the presence stronger. Stop him!

What think you?

Malroth
2013-07-03, 11:31 PM
The goal "stop the presence" is unchanged and the method of "stop" isn't defined so i'm thinking its very reasonable, just like stopping your friend from jumping into a volcano or keeping the bard from pulling the destroy the dungeon lever would be very reasonable courses of action.

Jeff the Green
2013-07-03, 11:33 PM
To be clear, the ritual actually will hurt the presence (or at least let it be hurt). It's the lie I'm not sure about.

Nettlekid
2013-07-03, 11:38 PM
Since you're fighting the presence, and it would be good to not do anything to make it stronger, I think it's a reasonable Suggestion. The example in the actual spell says that you could tell someone that a pool of acid is a cool pond, and Suggest that they go swimming. That's an outright lie, but it's valid. I think that's a pretty good use of Suggestion. If it was spoken out loud, then other party members might get a Sense Motive (I don't think the targeted member should get a chance, since it's magical compulsion) to know the presence is lying, and then they might be able to stop the enchanted member (or at least give him another saving throw.)

Jeff the Green
2013-07-03, 11:50 PM
Since you're fighting the presence, and it would be good to not do anything to make it stronger, I think it's a reasonable Suggestion. The example in the actual spell says that you could tell someone that a pool of acid is a cool pond, and Suggest that they go swimming. That's an outright lie, but it's valid. I think that's a pretty good use of Suggestion. If it was spoken out loud, then other party members might get a Sense Motive (I don't think the targeted member should get a chance, since it's magical compulsion) to know the presence is lying, and then they might be able to stop the enchanted member (or at least give him another saving throw.)

That helps a lot, thanks. :smallsmile: I was going off the SRD version, which doesn't have that example.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-07-04, 12:02 AM
One example from the PHB is Suggesting that a pool of acid is actually water and a quick dip would be refreshing.

Nettlekid
2013-07-04, 12:13 AM
One example from the PHB is Suggesting that a pool of acid is actually water and a quick dip would be refreshing.

Ninja'd by half an hour, and the last two posts in the thread. >_>