PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Arcane Bond + Deadly Dealer

Cowboy_ninja
2013-07-04, 12:48 AM
Can my Vangard arcane bond/weapon a deck of cards if I use deadly dealer to make them a weapon?

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/deadly-dealer

if so what happens when I throw all 52 cards?

each card is destroyed when I throw it so am I slowly destroying my arcane bond? Does the deck regenerate after I rest because it "took damage" when I destroyed 1/52 of its HP (by throwing one card)

Malroth
2013-07-04, 12:53 AM
Seems Legit to me, the deck is destroyed when the last card is thrown and you need to spend 200gp creating a new one if that happens but it seems to regenerate back to a full deck every day from the descriptions of the feats.

Edit: But you'd need to have 5 ranks in sleight of hand, arcane strike and deadly dealer before your first wizard level since its those feats that make the deck of cards a weapon.

grarrrg
2013-07-04, 11:16 AM
if so what happens when I throw all 54 cards?

Does the deck regenerate after I rest because it "took damage" when I destroyed 1/54 of its HP (by throwing one card)

Fixed that for ya :smallwink:
As per the Feat, you get 54 shots, not 52.

Edit: But you'd need to have 5 ranks in sleight of hand, arcane strike and deadly dealer before your first wizard level since its those feats that make the deck of cards a weapon.

Actually...he's right.
Your Starting Arcane Bond must be "Objects that are the subject of an arcane bond must fall into one of the following categories: amulet, ring, staff, wand, or weapon"
Without the relevant feats, a Deck of Cards is not any of those.
And then there's this "A wizard can designate an existing magic item as his bonded item. This functions in the same way as replacing a lost or destroyed item...."

So you can't _start_ with a Deck, and you cannot later _make_ it a Deck.
Unless you can get a Deck declared as a Magic Item. (which do exist, but you're probably better off NOT throwing them)

Spuddles
2013-07-04, 11:40 AM
The gambit feat lets you enhance your deck of cards as if it were a weapon, so if you made it magic via the feat, you could then bond with it.

Karoht
2013-07-04, 11:55 AM
Or...
Rather than going into Wizard levels (not that you shouldn't) you can just pick up the feat Eldritch Heritage, and select the Arcane Bloodline, which gets Arcane Bond at level 1. Get the rest of your pre-req's out of the way, pick the feat, continue on with whatever class you were doing already.
If you were going to play an Ninja and throw things, I'm reasonably certain that you could apply poison to the deck, as it is considered a singular item. One dose of poison could work on all 54 shots that way (ammunition enchants work this way, not sure if poison would, get your DM drunk and ask). A rather handy trick. A very economic method of applying poison by level 5ish. Pick a race that gets an arcane spell for free (IE-Gnomes) and you can take Arcane Strike easily by level 5.
Quite clever and thematic for a Ninja to have.

Spuddles
2013-07-04, 01:58 PM
Is there a way to combine this with bewildering koan, because that would amuse me.

Karoht
2013-07-04, 03:13 PM
Is there a way to combine this with bewildering koan, because that would amuse me.2 Levels of Ninja and be a Gnome. You can take BK in place of a Ninja Trick if I'm not mistaken.