PDA

View Full Version : The Great Tree Messengers (3.5e Race, PEACH)

LOTRfan
2013-07-04, 03:23 AM
It might be a while until I have the time to homebrew something again, so I'm going to post this. I'm not sure of the LA on this one. I'm pegging it at LA +0 for now, but I'd like to hear your opinions on what the LA should be (or alternately, what else I should add/take away from the race).

EDIT: And also, I believe the concept of Ratatoskr as a race first showed up in Planescape.

One of the most mysterious races of humanoids to travel the planes, the Ratatoskar (singular Ratatoskr) are a diminutive race that knows their realm like no other. Renowned throughout the planes as expert guides for cross-planar travel, few can disagree with the fact that they seem to have a penchant for arriving just where they need to go.

Personality: Ratatoskar, like all mortals, run the gamut of personalities, though some trends seem to be more evident than others. Most Ratatoskar seem to be opportunistic and adventurous (so long as they are remaining on or near Yggdrasil).

Physical Description: Ratatoskar are small, squirrel-like humanoids who rarely grow to be more than 3’8. Their fur, which covers their whole bodies, can come in any shade of black, brown, grey, or white. They have fingers more typical of the aye-aye than the fingers of squirrels, though some believe this helps the Ratatoskr climb and collect food in their hazardous environment. Most every Ratatoskr have large pupils that are so dark that some people mistakenly believe that their eyes are entirely coal-black.

Relations: Because they are the only native intelligent life on Yggdrasil, Ratatoskar are extremely confident in their role as the most important guardians of the World Tree. As a result, they aren’t as threatened by the appearance of races from other planes, and often allow them to stay in their villages (even if they are not exceptionally accepting). Only those who have heard of the World Tree have even heard of the Ratatoskr, so it should come to no surprise that they are relatively isolated from everyone else.

Alignment: Most Ratatoskar usually have at least one neutral component in their alignment, if not both. Ratatoskar of a certain alignment tend to flock to towns near portals leading to the plane of the same alignment as themselves. This has led some people to believe that as a race the Ratatoskar are weak-minded and easily swayed by their surroundings.

Lands: Ratatoskar are native to Yggdrasil, the World Tree. This semi-plane functions as a bridge between nine different realms located throughout the Great Wheel, from Niflheim in the Gray Wastes to Asgard in Ysgard. Small Ratatoskr villages can be found on all major branches of Yggdrasil, while smaller settlements exist in more isolated parts of the world tree. A village exists near every major portal in the World Tree, though there are no Ratatoskr settlements larger than these anywhere in the planes.

Religion: Ratatoskar have a complex system of ancestor worship, where they pray to their ancestors in a variety of rituals to ask for their aid and good fortune. Each extended family usually makes their homes around a single mausoleum carved out from the World Tree itself. Inside are a series of altars (each with the remnants of a family member with), which in turn are centered around a grand altar dedicated to the mythological father of the Ratatoskr race (also named Ratatoskr). During holidays, Ratatoskar are supposed to visit each of the altars and place a flower on them. In times of trouble, Ratatoskar usually visit the graves of their most beloved family members.

Language: Ratatoskar do not have a language of their own. If they ever have, it was abandoned long ago. Instead, Ratatoskar usually adopt the languages of the land that portals near their home lead to (i.e. a Ratatoskr that resides near a portal to the Iron Wastes/Jotunheim speak Giant, while those whole live near a portal to Svartalfaheim speak Elven).

Adventurers: Ratatoskar who leave their homes are usually those hired by adventurers to lead them from one plane to another via Yggdrasil. In some cases, these guides will join the parties they help, going to other planes and realms for either excitement or riches. Ratatoskr are usually rangers, but rogues and spirit shamans are also very common.

Ratatoskr Racial Traits
• +2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence
• Small Humanoid (Ratatoskr, Extraplanar): As small creatures, Ratatoskar get a +1 bonus to Armor Class and attack roles, a +4 bonus to Hide checks, a -4 penalty to grapple checks, and lifting/carrying limits equal to Ύ that of medium creatures. As humanoids, Ratatoskar are affected by effects that specifically target humanoids (like Hold Person). Ratatoskar are native to Yggdrasil, and have the Extraplanar subtype on any other plane (including the Material Plane).
• Ratatoskr base land speed is 20 ft. It also has a climb speed of 20 ft.
• Low-light vision.
• +2 racial bonus of Spot, Listen, and Survival checks.
• Glide (Ex): While on Yggdrasil, a ratatoskr can glide for short periods of time. When leaping on Yggdrasil, a ratatoskr glides 20 feet for each 5 feet of descent. Its flight maneuverability is considered poor. When gliding, a ratatoskr ignores falling damage, regardless of the height it fell from, though unconsciousness or paralysis of any kind will cause the creature to fall as normal.
• Fear of Flame (Ex): Ratatoskar have a racial fear of uncontrolled or magical flame. When exposed to such fires, a ratatoskr must make a Will save (DC 16), or become shaken for 1d4+1 rounds. Whether or not the save is successful, a ratatoskr cannot be affected by that same fear ability for 24 hours.
• Spell-like Abilities: At will- Analyze Portal (only while on Yggdrasil). Caster Level 5th.
• Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Celestial, Dwarven, Elven, Giant.
• Favored Class: Ranger.
• Level Adjustment: +0

Debihuman
2013-07-04, 05:09 AM
I love these guys and haven't seen them since 2nd Ed. Very cool. It seems to be missing two things: fear of fire (which should be pretty hefty) and the ability to glide while on Yggdrasil.

Glide (Ex): While on Yggdrasil, a ratatoskr can glide for short periods of time. When leaping on Yggdrasil, a ratatoskr glides 20 feet for each 5 feet of descent. Its flight maneuverability is considered poor. When gliding, a ratatoskr ignores falling damage, regardless of the height it fell from, though unconsciousness or paralysis of any kind will cause the creature to fall as normal.

One last thing, in racial traits list, under Humanoids you have "As humanoids, Blues are affected by effects that specifically target humanoids (like Hold Person)." looks like a copy/paste error.

Debby

LOTRfan
2013-07-04, 11:24 AM
Oh, yes, that is a copy/paste error. Sorry about that. I'll fix that and add the glide ability later.

Do you think having to make a Will save (DC 16) to avoid being shaken for 1d4+1 rounds whenever exposed to uncontrolled/magical flame is hefty enough to still warrant an LA of +0?

Debihuman
2013-07-04, 03:49 PM
Yes. I think it is okay because it can only use its spell-like ability and glide on its home plane. That's a pretty narrow benefit. Moreover, those benefits are offset by the penalty it should take from its fear of fire, which it is subject to all the time.

On the other hand, they should have a slower land speed. 30 is average for Medium creatures and fast for Small creatures. I think these should have a 20-foot land speed as well.

Do they really need a racial language? I know a lot of races have them , but that just adds to a polyglot of unused languages.

Debby

LOTRfan
2013-07-04, 03:56 PM
That's a mistake on my part; I specifically mention in the fluff that if the Ratatoskr ever had a racial language, it was lost long ago. I don't know why I included one in the crunch. I'll remove that later when I make the changes.

If you think they'd be better at average speed, I'll add that to the changes I must make.

Debihuman
2013-07-05, 11:51 PM
It looks like fear of flame should be an Extraordinary ability. It is worded a bit clunky.

Whether or not the save is successful, a ratatoskr cannot be affected by that same fear ability for 24 hours.

Debby

LOTRfan
2013-07-13, 08:41 AM
Hello, again. Sorry, I made the adjustments to the fear of flame ability, and tried to word it a little better even after making the change you suggested.

Debihuman
2013-07-14, 02:03 PM
Looks good to me!

Debby

themourningstar
2013-07-14, 06:15 PM
There was a race nearly identical to this in one of the Dragon mags. It didn't have the fear of fire (which is a rather major hinderance, could use something to make up for it I think) or the analyze portal power.. Basically it was just a anthropomorphic sugar glider. I think it had a bite attack as well, and IIRC it was for the Greyhawk setting.

LOTRfan
2013-07-14, 08:20 PM
I wasn't aware of that. Do you happen to remember what it's name was?

Debihuman
2013-07-14, 10:06 PM
Kercpa perhaps? Dragon Magazine 214. It was converted to 3.5 on EnWorld see here: http://creaturecatalog.enworld.org/converted/view_c.php?CreatureID=875

Debby