PDA

View Full Version : Stealth based game. System?

worldeater47
2013-07-04, 09:03 AM
Hey guys I am trying to start up a game with some friends and would like to do a stealth based game. I will be trying to do it episodically if possible (so we can come and go to it between other games if we want), however I am running into issues with finding a good system for it. Most members of the group have only played d&d 3.5 however are willing to try different systems if we can find a good one for it.

The systems that I have looked at so far are:

D&D 3.5: probably going E6 if I do, and for sure using pathfinder's combined skills, to keep the power level down slightly and would probably have to modify the stealth rules

Mouse Guard: looked into it a bit, I do not have to much to say however it could work.

Shadow run: From what i have heard this system could work really well, and fits the feel of the game, I need to look into the system more however.

Does anyone have any ideas for which of these to try or any other systems to look into.

neonchameleon
2013-07-04, 09:26 AM
Hey guys I am trying to start up a game with some friends and would like to do a stealth based game. I will be trying to do it episodically if possible (so we can come and go to it between other games if we want), however I am running into issues with finding a good system for it. Most members of the group have only played d&d 3.5 however are willing to try different systems if we can find a good one for it.

What exactly do you mean by "Stealth based"? Cons and heists?

worldeater47
2013-07-04, 09:35 AM
I was thinking heists, so give the players an objective of steal magical doohickey #432 from the someones vault. I will set up a complete building floor plan ahead of time with most stuff in it preplanned (such as major guard routes, hidden vents), giving the players the opportunity to use contacts if they want to get extra info.

Emmerask
2013-07-04, 09:36 AM
Shadowrun supports that pretty well, though the setting is high tech + magic :smallwink:

The Rose Dragon
2013-07-04, 09:38 AM
Leverage and Fiasco are possible options, though Fiasco holds as part of its premise that everything will go horribly horribly wrong.

neonchameleon
2013-07-04, 09:53 AM
I was thinking heists, so give the players an objective of steal magical doohickey #432 from the someones vault. I will set up a complete building floor plan ahead of time with most stuff in it preplanned (such as major guard routes, hidden vents), giving the players the opportunity to use contacts if they want to get extra info.

Two ways of doing it. If you want a narrative system that's as much cons as heists you can't beat Leverage (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/85727/Leverage-Roleplaying-Game). But I think that's more narrative than you are looking for, although it's fast, light, and contains excellent advice.

And for heists, will you want something happening like the following:

Hardison: Steranko? A Steranko. On her own? Has she lost her mind?!

Sophie: Okay, please, please. Somebody explain to me what the hell is a Steranko?

Hardison: Steranko's the toughest security system in the world, in the universe, in the multi--whatever.

Eliot: How do you not know this?

Sophie: I am a grifter. If I'm doing my job right, then the mark just turns off the alarm for me.

The other approach is basically a step-on-up puzzle game. In which the system doesn't matter that much - the important part is the DM prep. My instincts are saying Fate Core (http://www.evilhat.com/store/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&keyword=fate+core&categories_id=&inc_subcat=1&manufacturers_id=&pfrom=&pto=&dfrom=&dto=&x=29&y=13) for being fast, light, and flexible enough to have a huge range of abilities - but then if not sure what system to use my instincts almost always say Fate Core and season to taste unless you want a lot of backlash in which case it's an Apocalypse World hack, but the most important thing is a system you yourself are comfortable with.

I'd get Leverage either way. Oh, and if going for detailed item plans use a variant on the anti-hammerspace item tracker (http://rottenpulp.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/matt-rundles-anti-hammerspace-item.html).

Autolykos
2013-07-04, 09:58 AM
Shadowrun would probably work surprisingly well for a fantasy-only setting, you'd just ignore about 90% of the material. In 3rd Edition (I can't advise anyone to use 4th with a clean conscience), the books you'd need in that case are the Basic Rules, Companion (for the races), Arsenal (for more detailed melee rules) and Magic in the Shadows (for obvious reasons). The Critter book (part of the GM Screen) is also nice to have. The Corporate Security Handbook (2nd Ed) is also a great reference for designing dungeons, even though you'd need to adapt quite a bit of it (as it is largely about technical solutions).
EDIT: The real strength of Shadowrun for stealth-based games is that the dice system has bell-shaped probability distributions, which allow the players (and the GM) to make complex plans beforehand and expect them to go over somewhat reliably. Which is not saying that it won't eventually blow up in their face, but the results aren't completely wacky from the get-go.

The system in my sig (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14002368) has some similarities with Shadowrun from a basic rules perspective (but tries to be as no-nonsense as possible). I didn't continue development for a while because I was short on time, but I'm going to pick it up again soon and add the module about Locks, Traps & Security, which should be the remaining thing my system needs to run stealth based adventures. It comes without a setting, though - but it sounds like you already have a setting anyway.

Dsurion
2013-07-07, 01:49 AM
There's a system on these very forums, over in the homebrew section, called Rogue: Clandestine Operations (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224297). I enjoy it a lot. It's nice and simple, making it easy to pick up.

Ozfer
2013-07-07, 11:50 AM
Are you looking for a game where fighting is actually a really big deal? In stealth games, it can add to the feel if being caught can easily lead to your quick demise.

Mr. Mask
2013-07-07, 12:25 PM
There's a system on these very forums, over in the homebrew section, called Rogue: Clandestine Operations (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224297). I enjoy it a lot. It's nice and simple, making it easy to pick up. Had a look at the document, but I didn't notice any particular rules for stealth. They did change the combat system, and the skill and equipment lists reflect stealth better, but there doesn't seem to be any differences in the stealth rules. Of course, I might've missed it--I didn't look closely at the document.

worldeater47
2013-07-09, 11:05 AM
Thanks everyone, after talking with the group they want to try out leverage, so I picked it up and it seems like it should work well.