PDA

View Full Version : List of Add-On Rules

prufock
2013-07-04, 09:38 AM
Hey all, I'm looking to compile a list of optional rule add-ons in D&D 3.5. I'm not looking for alternate class features or variants anything of the like, but rules that can be added to the game without making any other changes. They shouldn't require feats or anything, but be available to all characters as general rules. A lot of them seem campaign-specific. For example:

Action Points (UA)
Taint (UA)
Honor (UA)
Reputation (UA)
Incantations (UA)
Sanity (UA)
Conviction (E6)
Raising the Death Flag (E6)
Raising the Stakes (E6)
Appearance (BoEF)
Skill Tricks (CSc) - treated as default in my games, but can be seen as an optional addition
Clobbered (DMG)
Size-Based Massive Damage (DMG)
Damage to Specific Areas (DMG)
Called Shots (sources vary)
Critical Fumbles (sources vary)
Sever combat maneuver (PF) - I think this is default in PF games, but I play 3.5, so this is an add-on for me

I'm not sure I've explained this well, but hopefully you catch my drift. Are there other similar rules out there?

undead hero
2013-07-04, 09:58 AM
UA has the alternate skill system.

Agent 451
2013-07-04, 04:53 PM
DMG has tons of variant rules, with chapter 2 having a variant rule on almost every page:

Roll for initiative each round
Sapient mounts
Auto hits or misses
Defense rolls
Clobbered
Size based massive damage
Damage to specific areas
Weapon equivalences
Instant Kills
Soft Crits
Crit misses
Skills with different abilities
Critical success/failure
Saves with different abilities
Spell rolls
Power components
Summoning specific individual monsters
Free-form experience
Faster/slower experience
Training for skills, as opposed to automatically "knowing" them when you level up
Spell Research/pacts to gain access to new spells
Fixed hit points

The last few are from pages 197 and 198 of the DMG.

Saito Takuji
2013-07-04, 07:10 PM
apperance ability score from book of erotic fantasy

Dimers
2013-07-04, 10:13 PM
Hmm ... skill tricks in PHB2? How about gestalt characters and generic classes? And fractional BAB/saves alters the numbers a little bit, though that's a very limited change.

prufock
2013-07-05, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the ideas so far, folks! I know I was vague about what "add-on" means. Basically the extra rule shouldn't replace anything, it should just be "in addition to everything else." It also shouldn't be a default.

The alternate skill system mentioned by undead hero, for example, replaces the default skill system, so it doesn't quite fit what I'm describing.

Sapient mounts
Auto hits or misses
Clobbered
Size based massive damage
Damage to specific areas
Weapon equivalences
Instant Kills
Soft Crits
Crit misses
Critical success/failure
Spell rolls
Power components
Summoning specific individual monsters

I've eliminated some that I know more fit the "variant" definition, but there are some rules here that I would certainly count as "add-ons" (bold) and more that I will have to look up.

apperance ability score from book of erotic fantasy
While I'm not too familiar with this, it sounds like it fits the idea of an add-on.

Hmm ... skill tricks in PHB2? How about gestalt characters and generic classes? And fractional BAB/saves alters the numbers a little bit, though that's a very limited change.
Skill tricks fit, though I'd almost think of those as default rules at this point. Gestalt and generic are variants rather than add-ons, since they aren't meant to be used with standard classes, and fractional rules are definitely variants. I'll add skill tricks to the list, though.