PDA

View Full Version : How to protect oneself against Banishment?

Vaz
2013-07-04, 10:02 AM
I am in a party involved in a Plane Hopping campaign, although we do not have any casters capable of casting Plane Shift.

Our party consists of (all 9th or 10th level)

Human Sorcerer, Metamagic Enervation focused, with the ability to raise undead fairly effectively. Excellent Damage Dealer and Undead help control the battlefield. Works very well in battle with the Ardent, but in character conflicts.
Neraph Ardent, Time Mantle focused but combining Metamorphosis+Metamorphic Transfer for fun, soon to get Dominant Mantle (Time for the numerous tricks involved in that). Just wins the action economy, works fantastically as a beat stick. Good social abilities and can help the scout.
Azurin Factotum/Totemist scout, trapfinder extraordinaire
Spirit Shaman; again, a fantastic Battlefield controller, but rarely summons unless the Necromancer is out of Undead. Sometimes uses Bite of the WereX to help in combat.
Human Ranger/Stalker of Kharash; only fully good character, and is an archer. Frequently in trouble, and reliant on the DMPC to provide the Resurrections far too often. Wanting to reroll.

The Ranger is wanting to get a Wizard, but is adamant on banning Conjuration ("because that is only summoning creatures, and we have 2 people capable of doing that" (or 3 if you include that the Ardent can transform into Neogi Masters and have fun or potentially get Astral Construct)). So no Plane Shift eventually on that front. And, even better. Abjuration. So no Anchoring.

However, rather than just killing off the Ranger, the DM hit it with a Banishment (the Ardent and Totemist resisted) from an enemy halfling cleric after the Ranger managed to get a Critical Hit on it. Of course, that just meant that after the battle we needed to follow a new lead. Who, of course, was the Extraplanar Wizard; the Wizard started at Level 8, but had some information regarding the plot from the DM to aid us; we had after all removed one of the major sources of information; our intention was to capture him and torture him, but he Teleported when he was dangerously low on resources and we lacked the ability to stop him.

So that's the setting of where we're at (an unknown Plane, so far, no-one yet has any Knowledge: Planes outside of the wizard) so far.

What I'm wondering is how do we protect against spells like Dismissal, or Banishment etc? We don't have Dimensional Anchor or Plane Shift to counter it, and I don't think too many people are interested in retraining a feat to "Naturalized Denizen" from UA. So, how do we defend against such spells, preferably item based, or a thematically appropriate prestige class?

Scow2
2013-07-04, 10:09 AM
Wait... the ranger was adamant the wizard banned conjuration?

Vaz
2013-07-04, 10:19 AM
No, the Ranger wanted to play a Wizard.

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-04, 10:48 AM
You are trying to avoid a small selection of spells here. I would recommend spellparrying on +1 armor spikes. 6000gp per spell, for total immunity to the spell. Worth every penny if you pick the right spells.

Alabenson
2013-07-04, 11:10 AM
You are trying to avoid a small selection of spells here. I would recommend spellparrying on +1 armor spikes. 6000gp per spell, for total immunity to the spell. Worth every penny if you pick the right spells.

That sounds interesting, what book is spellparrying in?

Xervous
2013-07-04, 11:51 AM
perhaps he meant Spellblade from Player's Guide to Faerun (IIRC)

6k for negating a specific spell when its targeted at you.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-07-04, 11:57 AM

You probably mean the Spellblade enhancement. It's in PGtF.
Keep in mind that while it can protect you from Banishment and Dismissal it won't do anything against Holy Word and other spells like it (since it only works with targeted spells).

The most effective way is to simply boost your will saves since every banishment effect i'm aware of is negated by a will save and it helps against a broader categorie of threats.

Jack_Simth
2013-07-04, 12:13 PM
There's also an item - Dimensional Shackles (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#dimensionalShackles) - that Dimensional Anchor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dimensionalAnchor.htm) you, which "completely blocks extradimensional travel"

You just don't get a lock for them, and take them off when you want to teleport.