PDA

View Full Version : Dragonborn Paladin help

aphoticConniver
2013-07-04, 12:57 PM
Hello! I'm currently running a dragonborn Paladin of 7th level, and I've started looking at paragon classes. I've narrowed it down to two: Scion of Arkhosia and Platinum Templar. Both fit with my character flavorfully, and while I'd rather have the at-will flight from the Scion, my worry is that the class isn't powerful enough and I'll be overshadowed by the other party members. The campaign isn't optimized, but if Scion is the better choice, what can I bring to my DM as suggestions to make the class a bit better?

Alejandro
2013-07-04, 01:05 PM
Do you have access to the Compendium/Character Builder and/or Divine Power?

aphoticConniver
2013-07-04, 01:07 PM
Sadly, I only have access to PH1 and PH2. I'm pushing it by suggesting the Platinum Templar, as it's from PHR and not everyone in the party has access to those documents at the moment.

Ashdate
2013-07-04, 01:36 PM
I don't think either paragon path is that stellar. A "PHB1-only" Paladin is unfortunately weak. You really need Divine Power to bring them up to par.

If you're looking for power in a PP, you're really either looking at the Champion of Order (Str-based) or Hospitaler (Cha-based). It's hard to tell which your Paladin is, given that Scion of Arkhosia requires good physical stats to be good, and Platinum Templar requires good mental stats to be good. Some clarification about your character is/does would be in order.

If your heart is set on either the Scion or Templar, I'd recommend trying to fill the power "gap" outside of the Paragon Path. See if the DM will let you replace one of your at-will attacks with either:

Ardent Strike (Divine Power) or Virtuous Strike (Divine Power). The first allows you to mark an enemy you attack in addition to your regular divine challenge, which will make a str-based defender a bit stronger. The later power is for Charisma-based Paladins, allowing them to effectively make opportunity attacks with Charisma instead of Strength.

Neither will make you stellar, but either is a quick way to give the Paladin a bit more punch.

aphoticConniver
2013-07-04, 02:03 PM
My dragonborn is a CHA-based Paladin, with strong ties to Bahamut. The reason I'm limiting my paragon selection to Scion and Templar because of his extreme connection to his faith. That, and he was tasked with saving the dragonborn of the land and being their protector by Bahamut himself.

Alejandro
2013-07-05, 10:21 AM
If you can get your group to chip in together for a DDI subscription, that would be a cheap way for everyone to get access. You really need Divine Power for the Paladin to become fully effective.

aphoticConniver
2013-07-19, 11:26 AM
Alright, so I've gotten the all-clear on swapping some of my powers, and my list is now as follows:

Ardent Strike
Virtuous Strike
Hold Fast
Divine Reverance
Call of Challenge
Valorous Smite
Radiant Delerium
Wrath of the Gods
Name of Might

I still can't decide between the Platinum Templar and Scion of Arkhosia, although I want to go with Avatar of Io as my Epic Destiny.

Edit: He is a Chaladin with a 19 Cha at the moment.

Angel Bob
2013-07-19, 12:52 PM
Thematically, I think Scion of Arkhosia would really help with your character concept. If he's the messianic saviour of the dragonborn people, it would be very fitting for him to be a paragon of that race, with wings and everything.

As for all the Divine Power fuss, that really depends on how casual your group is. If you're a high-op group, then a PHB1-only paladin will be of less use than a dead fish. However, if you play pretty casually, he'd be pretty capable.

aphoticConniver
2013-07-19, 01:36 PM
I think I will go with the Scion as a PP. My next concern is:

Is there any dragonborn paladin miniatures that don't cost an absurd amount of money? Same goes for dragonborn with wings.

neonchameleon
2013-07-19, 07:33 PM
I think I will go with the Scion as a PP. My next concern is:

Is there any dragonborn paladin miniatures that don't cost an absurd amount of money? Same goes for dragonborn with wings.

See if any of the Reaper Lizardmen (http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/lizardman/latest) work?

aphoticConniver
2013-07-20, 07:52 AM
Fortune smiles on the foolish! I found my Dragonborn Paladin of Bahamut miniature, and am no longer in need of one.