PDA

View Full Version : I'm a bit rusty, need help combining two builds.

zoobob9
2013-07-04, 02:03 PM
I've had two favorite builds over the past however many years I've been playing.

Remos was a fighter/master thrower build. He specialized in TWF and could throw like 8 daggers per round at level 10. With the Gauntlet of Infinite Blades and being able to hit against Touch AC, it was pretty devastating facing him as a boss. Then when I retweaked him, with flaws and new feats and whatnot, it was a matter of "You point at someone and they die."

Hordor has been built and rebuilt several times, but he always had a two common elements. He had an insane amount of strength, up in the 30's or 40's, and he abused Knockback and Bull Rush and whatnot. At level 6 I remember him doing like 50 damage/round, and that was before I discovered dungeoncrasher.

I was looking on the forums yesterday and someone mentioned the feat Rout from Dragon 304. In short, you can bull rush on a thrown weapon. This opens up the possibility for a Hordor Remos Monster Baby, one which I'm currently trying to flesh out.

Unfortunately, I've been on a decent D&D hiatus, so I'm not as good at this as I used to be.

Here's what I have so far.

Dungeoncrasher 6/Master thrower 5/X 9

Feats:

Power Attack
Improved Bull Rush
Knockback
Weapon Focus (Dagger)
Point Blank Shot
Precise Shot
Wind Up
Rout

These are with flaws, fighter feats, and all of that standard stuff.

I Also used two fighter bonus feats for the Dungeoncrasher Abilities.

My problem is where to go from here. I need all of the TWF so I get a decent amount of daggers per round. I would also like Rapid Shot and Far shot, and Brutal Throw would also be a good addition. The thing is, I only get 3 more feats, discluding bonus feats, and I'm not sure entirely where to go.

I've thought of doing a 1 level dip into Warblade and then doing Bloodstorm Blade, but I never really liked ToB, and the only real benefit would be Lightning Ricochet; everything else I would want to do to count it as a "melee attack" I can do with Rout. War Hulk is always an option, if I get my feats down. I may just go fighter, but I'm not sure if that's the best idea.

As for the race, I need to be medium for Spot the Weak Point to work. So that means Human Half Minotaur with a ring of Reduce Person. As for other magic items, STR boosters, Gauntlets of Infinite blades (Slightly tweaked, but the cost will be adjusted), and Armor probably.

Does the Playground have any advice on this build? Has anyone ever built this combination? And what other feats do you think I should take, and how do I get all of said feats?

HalfQuart
2013-07-04, 02:51 PM
I hate to say it, but Rout only works with thrown weapons that weigh at least 2 pounds... and daggers only weigh 1 pound. You could conceivably play something with Powerful Build. Monkey Grip wouldn't really work since you need to TWF with them..

Edit: Oh, does Half-Minotaur give Powerful Build? I'm blanking on the details.

Edit 2: Oh, I see, it actually makes you one size larger. But then your ring of reduce person would make you medium again, and then you can't use large daggers with Rout. You might be better off with just a Powerful Build race, although Half-Minotaur is a pretty good template for only +1 LA.

Randomguy
2013-07-04, 03:18 PM
I don't see anything saying you need to be medium size for spot the weakpoint to work.

I don't think you can improve the build much short of adding Iajitsu Focus or Int to damage via 3 levels of Swashbuckler (and maybe some factotum levels).

You want: TWF, Improved TWF, Greater TWF, Brutal Throw, Rapid Shot, Far Shot.

So you need 3 bonus feats. You can get all that and Int to damage by ending your build Fighter 6/Swashbuckler 3.

You might get better results from Iaijutsu master, though. I'm not sure.

Invader
2013-07-04, 03:29 PM
Just say you use slightly larger 2lb daggers :smallbiggrin:

HalfQuart
2013-07-04, 03:29 PM
I don't see anything saying you need to be medium size for spot the weakpoint to work.
The Weak Spot ability does say that it only works against creatures of your size or larger, so I gather zoobob9 is just saying that he wants to be able to use it against medium sized enemies too.... and thus his character needs to be medium.

HalfQuart
2013-07-05, 11:15 AM
Just say you use slightly larger 2lb daggers :smallbiggrin:
Magic of Faerun actually has rules for using "heavy weapons" -- generally those crafted of gold or platinum. They either require an exotic weapon proficiency or require two hands to wield, and they do extra damage.

Good luck convincing your DM to let the Gauntlet of Infinite Blades spit out Gold Daggers! :-)

HalfQuart
2013-07-05, 09:49 PM
Oh, and Gauntlet of Infinite Blades doesn't actually work like that. It's a swift action to activate, so you can only get one/round.