PDA

View Full Version : Need little help with ships (naval campaing)

JohnDaBarr
2013-07-04, 02:05 PM
I'm currently running a naval campaign and ships offered in the core book's, Stormwrack and Arms and Equipment Guide don't satisfy the needs of my campaign. I need something that runs on sails and it's better than a caravel, somewhere in line of the 17. century frigate.

So does anyone know where can I find that?? Or at least rules for build-your-own-ship?

Flickerdart
2013-07-04, 02:17 PM
The three-masted Galley listed in the DMG is twice the size of a caravel, can carry 450 men, and goes about as quickly (4 mph or roughly 3.5 knots).

JohnDaBarr
2013-07-05, 07:27 AM
Thx on the reply

I assume build a ship goes under the craft skill category but for now I can't find any guidelines?!

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-05, 07:51 AM
Thx on the reply

I assume build a ship goes under the craft skill category but for now I can't find any guidelines?!

Craft (boat building) Stormwrack page 84

EDIT: D'Oh! I looked up the page number but forgot to review the actual rules there. DeltaEmil is correct in the post below. This would be Architecture and Engineering for a vessel this large.

DeltaEmil
2013-07-05, 12:25 PM
As per Stormwrack, Craft is only used if you're building a small boat (anything size Huge or smaller). Ships that are Gargantuan or Colossal must be build under the supervision of somebody that has ranks in Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering), called a shipwright.
One person can craft a ship of Huge or smaller size by him- or herself (although that might take months). Gargantuan and Colossal vessels need dozen or hundreds of workers.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-07-05, 03:44 PM
The three-masted Galley listed in the DMG is twice the size of a caravel, can carry 450 men, and goes about as quickly (4 mph or roughly 3.5 knots).

However I don't believe it benefits from stronger winds and it is of course stuck to the coast lines.

JohnDaBarr
2013-07-05, 05:19 PM
As per Stormwrack, Craft is only used if you're building a small boat (anything size Huge or smaller). Ships that are Gargantuan or Colossal must be build under the supervision of somebody that has ranks in Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering), called a shipwright.
One person can craft a ship of Huge or smaller size by him- or herself (although that might take months). Gargantuan and Colossal vessels need dozen or hundreds of workers.

Nice to know, thanks

However I don't believe it benefits from stronger winds and it is of course stuck to the coast lines.

Yeah I noticed that

I think I will go with some homebrew Carrack rules I found on the interwebz