PDA

View Full Version : [BitPR2] Extra Episode 1: Secrets of the Generals

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-04, 02:50 PM
[Soul Society]
On the way to Headquarters

After visiting Sabitsura Sho and guiding the visitors from the Royal Guard to Black Dragon Gate, Zheng Li Lin limps through the darkening streets towards Li's new office. The old Commander is hardly on a happy mood, but it can't be allowed to distract from Li's various new duties.

One, in particular, stands clear in Li's mind: that of getting acquianted with Li's new Vice-Commander. Izanagi-no-Mikoto, the corner-stone of Gotei and Shinoreijutsuin alike, left too suddenly and took too many secrets with him; now, the former Medicine-and-Logistics head is determined to not repeat his mistakes.

As street lamps spark outside to shed light to the coming night, Zheng Li Lin arrives in Headquarters and seeks out the current Duty Officer. "Good, ah, night. I'm here for my Vice-Commander. Sadly, his name eludes me, but you ought to find him on the roster." The Commander probably did read it on a report earlier that day, as Li heard this person was involved in the fight with Sho. Still, Li has not interacted much with the man. The previous Vice-Commander, one Amaterasu Naomi who was tragically executed, is sill in better memory.

"Tell him to come and meet me in the lobby. He has 30 minutes."

Kuroimaken
2013-07-04, 02:59 PM
"I would only need thirty seconds, sir." Koutarou replied from nearby.

"My apologies for not being present to the meeting earlier. I had been busy reviewing the active rosters of each division and helping with the defensive sortie following the Arrancar arrivals. And then there was the emergency with the Ryoka. You can expect my full report on that to arrive shortly."

He took a light bow.

"Congratulations on your promotion, Commander-General. I look forward to working with you."

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-04, 03:04 PM
Li is surprised by Koutarou's presence, scanning him from head to toe as the man approaches. "Technically, she is not a Ryoka. I did officially let her into Gotei. She is, however, rankless, and going to stay that way for a long while. But enough of that. I'm sick and tired of talking of her."

Li beckons towards the door. "We'll be going to the central warehouses. It will be a long night. I hope you have not been drinking."

Kuroimaken
2013-07-04, 03:14 PM
"Never on duty, rarely off, sir. I don't find drinking entertaining in and of itself." Koutarou noted as he accompanied the elder.

"With all due respect, we didn't know it at the time. In any case, moving on.

What would you like to discuss, Commander?"

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-04, 03:19 PM
"A lot of things", Li replies curtly. "If you've not been drinking, then have you perhaps hit your head badly earlier today? There's some uncertainty to your steps and your gaze is off."

As they talk, Li leads them outside and sets on a path through the city. It should quickly become apparent to Koutarou that they're not walking even remotely to the same direction as where the warehouses lie. Instead, it appears the Commander is leading him towards the Central Hospital... though there should be a more direct route there too.

Kuroimaken
2013-07-04, 03:24 PM
"Direct result of the subject we're trying to avoid, sir. I've received proper care, though - it should be fine in a day or so." By which he means the Commander's assumption is on the money. "Luckily, I was wearing appropriate headgear at the time."

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-04, 03:36 PM
"Good. The last thing I need is having my replacement rendered comatose by a 'sparring accident'. " There is absolutely no humor to be found in the last two words. Then, Li stops dead on Li's tracks.

"We're here."

Here, in this case appears to be a lot of empty land somewhere around halfway between Black Dragon Gate, warehouse district and the Central Hospital. Hey, wait a second. Since when has there been an unbuilt lot in the middle off...?

" 被揭示 "

As the Commander's words echo from the buildings, the air ripples strangely and space seems to expand in the middle of the lot. One by one, three greenhouses made from dark blue glass shimmer into visibility, though they remain just dark shadows against a greater darkness of the sky.

Li leads Koutarou to the greenhouse with number 2 emblazoned on the door. Inside, it is pitch-black until the Commander hits an unseen switch with the bamboo cane, after which dim blue lights (possibly ultra-violet?) alight the room. It is filled with various plants, mostly ferns. There are two work benches, one filled with vials, pliers and other chemistry equipment, the second bearing a pile of books and papers. The air is humid and opressingly warm.

There is only one chair present. "Come in and close the door, please", Li tells Koutarou as the elder walks to and sits on the chair.

Li is speaking chinese. That phrase is spelled "Bèi jiēshì" and means "Be revealed".

Kuroimaken
2013-07-04, 04:15 PM
"Fascinating. I had no idea such an installation lay inside the confines of Seireitei." Koutarou nods idly to himself.

He looks around, and while he finds the plantlife unremarkable in and of itself, the effort given towards concealing it is anything but. The officer finds himself looking the structure over in marvel and wonderment.

He turns to the elder, apparently not mindful of the greenhouse's conditions. Koutarou waits for his commanding officer's words.

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-04, 04:38 PM
The Commander raises an eyebrow. "You didn't? It's not their existence that's secret, you know. Though I guess it's understandable if you'd never have to come looking for them." Li reaches to grab one of the books.

"These gardens are a little retreat of mine. During the last years, I've relocated my most important works here in preparation of my retirement from Gotei. I intended to take them with me once my tenure as the Academy Chief Instructor would've been over. Alas, that did not go as planned."

Li flips the pages with familiarity, apparently not bothered by lack of light despite Li's age. Or it may be Li's not actually reading the book. "That's why I've not maintained an office in the Central Hospital, and also why I haven't used the one over at the Academy after copying the most important works there. I'm rather amazed so few people have noticed." Finally, Li finds what Li was looking for, and pulls a slip of parchment from between the pages.

"That's why I brought you here. In the case I will be forcibly reincarnated in the coming weeks, you will inherit this place. I don't expect you to do much with herbs, fungi and a couple of rats, but I hope you will enjoy a private sanctuary where you can be fairly sure to remain unbothered should you feel the need for that."

"Despite the long history of Gotei, I'm only the third Commander-General. My two predecessors did not, unfortunately, see fit or have the chance to name their successors. As such, much of the knowledge they held is now missing. Even if it will turn out to be a futile gesture, I will try to learn from their mistakes and during the next four nights tell you everything I can about the history of our organization. History that is not known to many people other than me anymore, sad as it is."

Li lifts gaze from the parchment to look Koutarou in the eyes. "I hope it will give you some perspective for the day when you must assume my role. Let me ask you a question: why do we of Gotei fight Hollows?"

Kuroimaken
2013-07-04, 04:45 PM
That is rather a lot to absorb. Koutarou wasn't aware that Li held him in such regard, especially considering the Commander had not apparently been acquainted with him as of less than five minutes ago.

But as he is asked a question, Koutarou's mindset snaps back to that of a soldier.

"To protect ourselves. At least, in theory. Some might argue we fight Hollows so we will not fight amongst ourselves, given what little I know of the founding reasons for Seireitei.

Ultimately, each soldier has his or her own reason to fight the Hollows, but ideally, we should fight only because we have to."

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-04, 05:01 PM
Li smirks at Koutarou's reply. "That is a good answer. You may have much more insight to the matter than most. The answer I expected would've been 'because Hollows are our enemies!'. For your curiosity, here is what we thought thousand years ago, when I was just a lowly intern building the Central Hospital:"

"The Court Guard was founded to prevent a war between Noble Families. Yet, in fifty decades, no military threat, internal or external, has appeared. As such, we of the Central 36, chosen amongst the wisest men of Rukon and Seireitei alike, demand that to make up for the costs of its upkeep, as a peace-time duty every member of Gotei 13 resume the most holiest of duties of Shinigami: that of purifying Hollows and guiding lost souls to their deserved resting place."

Li extends a hand and offers the parchment for Koutarou to read. It most likely is not the original, but it is still written in archaic form of Kanji.

"Peace-time duty. That is what we considered it back then. The thought of an army of Hollows would've been nonsensical to most of us at the time. 'Do you call a pack of wolves an army now?' would have been the question most would've asked when faced with such a concept."

Li starts flipping through pages of the book again. "There were much fewer people back then, and correspondingly much fewer Hollows. All the supremely powerful Hollows of myth had already been dealt with at that point. But for contrast, do you want to know what kind of relation we had to Hollows when the Academy was found? Or before the Academy was found?"

Kuroimaken
2013-07-04, 05:10 PM
"The closest answer to that which I can find is 'hunting game'. The sentience of Hollows has never come up as an issue before, mostly because they've never made much use of that sentience. But something changed, hasn't it?" Koutarou replies as he peruses the parchment. "I don't doubt that someone, somewhere, has asked himself something that's essentially closer to what the Espada proposed - if Hollows are a product of spiritual nature going about its business, why do we fight them?

Although that's a moot point now, I suppose. Whether we started hunting Hollows out of sport or duty, the fact remains that the hatred between Shinigami and Hollow runs deep."

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-04, 05:22 PM
"Hatred?" Li stops flipping throught the book. The word lingers heavy in moist air before the Commander resumes.

"I don't hate Hollows. I have never hated them. In fact, hating Hollows is the most childish thing a Shinigami could do."

"I am a pacifist at heart. I've never tried to hide this fact. The arts of war are extremely distasteful to me. Raising a blade against a human or fellow Shinigami makes my very being ache. A thousand years ago, if someone had told me I would one day be the Commander-General of Gotei, I would have taken it as an insult." Li closes the book.

"Yet, for a century now, I have taught new soldiers how to fight Hollows in the Academy. And I've done it with pure consequence. Ask yourself, what makes a Hollow soul so qualitatively different that I would do that?"

Kuroimaken
2013-07-04, 05:36 PM
"While I understand and respect your position on the matter, Commander, it is difficult, at best, to raise an efficient soldier with the mindset of a pacifist. I myself dislike fighting on principle, and believe me - I would relish nothing more than the opportunity to settle this diplomatically.

Unfortunately, I doubt any peace treaty with the Hollows would hold."

There is a tinge of sadness in Koutarou's voice. He understands - or at least believes he understands - the contradiction that the matter imposes. Si vis pacem para bellum - if you seek peace, get ready for war.

"As long as the state of affairs is what it is, achieving peace would be... difficult. We have no deterrents and no compromise. 'Conventional' peace, such as the human world knows it, isn't something the Gotei will ever be able to achieve as it is. "

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-04, 06:20 PM
Li's sets the book aside and as Koutarou speaks, Li's fingers start to drum the table. "I appreciate the sentiment. But you should not say you understand or respect my position, when it's apparent from your words that you really don't."

Li leans forward, placing both hands on the cane. "There is a widespread misconception among young Shinigami that we 'uphold the circle of life'. That is, shall we say, a naive way of looking at it. Or rather, it is the outlook of someone who thinks being a Shinigami is like a job. Something you do when put on a black kimono and wield a sword."

"But that is not true. Being a Shinigami does not depend on an uniform. It does not depend on learning kido. It does not, even, depend on wielding or using a Zanpakuto. All of these are simply inventions of times, tools that someone had to make, and tools that will once be forgotten. I've personally witnessed many of them coming to being."

"Being a Shinigami is something you are. What you grow to be. It is ingrained in your very flesh and bones. Our lot existed before any of the paraphernalia you now associate with us." Li straightens up.

"We do not 'uphold' the circle of life. We are part of it. And not in the same sense as mortals who are just carried around by the wheel. We are that wheel's beams. We are a manifestation of one of its fundamental aspects." Li sets the cane aside.

"There is no magical force that guides souls to their proper resting place. There is just us. Just in case the implication doesn't occur to you, let me spell it out: if there are no Shinigami, the wheel breaks. The existence of Hollows is not a natural state of things. Behind each and every Hollow, is the failure of us Shinigami."

"That is why hating them makes no sense. Imagine a child dropping a glass from a table, and then hating the glass for breaking. You would hardly call that adult behaviour."

The Commander reaches for pen and paper. "Before the Academy was founded, many Shinigami did consider Hollows just a force of nature. 'There's nothing we can do', they said, 'they're too powerful for us. We better avoid them'. But that was just laziness. Then came those who considered Hollows evil. 'We must protect mankind from these demonic creatures', they said. And there was no extreme to which they would not go in pursuit of that goal. They destroyed Hollows without care - not purified, destroyed so they would never be born again. Then they herded mortals around like cattle. It was 'for their own good', they said."

"That was hatred and condescence speaking. But then Izanagi-No-Mikoto came. He had a different view: 'It is not the purpose of Shinigami to judge. Ours is the task of messengers and ferrymen, not of rulers. The decisions of mortals are them and them to make alone - they deserve freedom from our tyranny. And the crimes of Hollows, are born out of insanity - they deserve freedom from our hatred, and restoration to their natural state'."

Li hands Koutarou a drawing. It is a fairly simple diagram, with Humans on the right and Hollows on the left. "In this drawing, where would you place us Shinigami?"

Kuroimaken
2013-07-04, 06:30 PM
The officer looks as if he has been scolded, as if a child.

But something seems to weigh on his mind. Whence came the first Shinigami? Who was the first one to say that Hollows needed to be hunted, that developed tools for it?

"Personally, I don't like for people to be hurt. It is in that sense that I respect your opinion. Though I realize it may have been presumptuous of me to say I understand it."

Koutarou took the drawing and thought. 'A Shinigami is something you are'. But then again... all Shinigami are Pluses, but not all Pluses are Shinigami. While there are those who arise with natural fighting talent, Shinigami as they exist - as Koutarou knows them - are Pluses with a very specific training. Yet they are no ordinary Pluses, either.

"In the middle, I suppose." He carefully replied. "A purified Hollow becomes a Plus. A Shinigami would be the link between these two states."

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-04, 06:47 PM
"That is a logical thought. But if you had asked me, I would have placed us above both." Li takes the paper back and draws a Shinigami wielding a Zanpakuto above the two other drawings, slightly to the right so it's more above the Human than the Hollow.

"Humans have freedom of thought, but are limited by karma. Hollows have freedom from karma, but they are limited by instinct. We Shinigami, who have already died and passed judgement of Heavens, are free from both. But, that freedom is balanced on our duty to help others who die to move on. Both Human and Hollow."

Li puts the pen down and hangs the paper before Koutarou so he can take a good look of it. "Only a limited set of souls ever display spiritual power. This trait is not unique to a certain incarnation, either. Someone who has once been a Shinigami, often will become one in further incarnations as well. It is not easy to spot, however, because Shinigami live such long time as spirits compared to ordinary souls. It is likely we only live that long so that we can successfully commit to our tasks. A wheel needs to be sturdy to last for the whole journey, to use an analogue. In that sense, we are less fortunate than either humans or Hollows. In the time they will go through multiple lives, happy or sad, we remain burdened by a single duty."

"But I'm getting sidetracked. Let's continue with pictures. An Arrancar is, supposedly, a Hollow that has overcome its instincts. Where would you place them on this paper?"

Kuroimaken
2013-07-04, 06:53 PM
That was a much trickier question.

"Over here." Koutarou noted, pointing to a spot closer to a Hollow, but still beneath where Li had drawn the Shinigami. "Following your line of thought, a Hollow is free from the shackles of instinct. However, it lacks a very precious thing, which is purpose." To the Vice-Captain, that was a very important thing. "We may be burdened with the task we have, but if we didn't have it at all, we would be no better than Hollows by merely indulging our whims. An Arrancar has the freedom of a Hollow but none of the sense of duty of a Shinigami, to anything or anyone, in addition to holding more power than Hollow or Plus. That is a dangerous combination."

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-04, 07:07 PM
"Hmmm." The Commander looks ponderous for a moment. "That is a wise thought. You are catching on to this. Maybe, if we were talking of Arrancars of the past, I would agree with you." Li takes the paper and draws a small, misshapen Arrancar exactly where Koutarou pointed.

"But after listening to the Arrancars speak, can you still say they lack a purpose? Let's engage in speculation for a moment and assume their leader was being truthful. They are building a city. They want to play their part in this world. They want to be like us."

Li draws another Arrancar, this time dressed in an uniform similar to the Shinigami - only the colors are inverted, with the Arrancar being white where the Shinigami is black.

"It took a long time for us, too, to realize our purpose. What you said about Arrancars being dangerous is true - but the exact same thing can be said of a Shinigami without purpose. You know what Sabitsura Sho is like. The Academy was founded to reel in people like her. Kiba, Sawada and many, many others - were just like her. Just like a human grown among wolves never learns to speak, a Shinigami lost in Rukon never grows to be more than thug with superpowers."

Once again, Li presents the picture to Koutarou. It's now complete with a caricature of Sho below the Shinigami. "After hearing what I just said, would it surprise you if I told you Arrancars have more in common with Shinigami than either have with Pluses or Hollows? Not in some abstract manner, but physically. In the way their bodies are shaped, in the way their bodies work?"

Kuroimaken
2013-07-04, 07:18 PM
"Not very much, no. They too, seem to have swords. As fate would have it, they seem remarkably similar to Zanpakutou. I would not be particularly surprised if they exhibited much of the same properties.

So. Suppose their intention in this is genuine. That, for all intents and purposes, they seek nothing more than to find their place. What happens then? Realistically speaking, they propose that we both fill the same niche in the wheel.

Do you see Shinigami and Arrancar sharing that space, willingly, and without conflict?"

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-05, 02:48 AM
There is a very solemn look on the Commander's face as Li replies. "Have we Shinigami ever been a big happy family? The first act of our organization was that of exiling the House of Suou from Seireitei. Just yesterday, Yasunobu Sawada presented us evidence that the start of this conflict, the Scarlet garden, was in part engineered by his father Shenryuu to assassinate the last members of that branch. Grudges run deep when their holders live this long."

"I've not, at any point, denied we are at war. I fully expect there will be armed conflict before this is over. But unless we want this conflict to end in disaster, understanding its exact nature is vital."

"How old are you? Do you remember how, just four hundred years ago, we used to execute our criminals by feeding them to Hollows? Do you remember why we stopped? Do you know why we use the Sokyoku, a mean that destroys the soul, to execute them now?"

Kuroimaken
2013-07-05, 09:08 AM
"I'm about old enough to recall what you describe, sir. I'd like to say the reason we stopped is related to our advancement as a civilization, but that would be kidding ourselves. As for the Soukyoku, I'd wager it ensures that none of those people will return to create whatever trouble they did."

For all the apparent cynicism in Li's opinions, Koutarou couldn't help but appreciate the insight from the elder. The Vice-Captain was willing to concede he lacked much of the experience that his superior had been trying to impart on him throughout this conversation. Experience breeds perspective, after all.

"Given that we are not a 'big, happy family', what do you think would happen if we added Arrancar to the mix? At the very, very least, some of the more... 'class-conscious' members of the noble houses would be miffed. That'd breed grudges of its own.

Generally speaking, we'd have to convince many folks that it is in our best interest to give coexistence with the Arrancar a shot... if that is what you are suggesting at all, sir."

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-06, 05:11 AM
A sad smile appears on Li's face. "Don't rush ahead, my apprentice! We can talk of my suggestions once I've explained the rationale behind them. But as far as executions go, you were spot on."

"Like I said, we Shinigami are free of karma. No matter how virtuous and good, or corrupted and evil, our fate upon our second death is the same: our bodies rot back to Reishi, our selves are destroyed, and our souls travel back to Earth where they are reincarnated."

"But like I alluded to before, this process is not perfect. Someone who has once been a Shinigami, is very likely to be one in later lives as well. Sometimes memories, even abilities, pass on."

"We don't want to take that risk. The powers of spirits are not meant for Earth. Just one soul with great power and loose morals could throw human world into chaos. This is the same reason why giving our powers to humans is illegal and severely penalized. Shinigami are free of karma, but humans are not. Not only is giving them powers likely to cause disaster, it is almost certain to doom many of them to Hell."

Li's smile fades. "That's why we had our criminals devoured by Hollows. A soul absorbed by a Hollow does not reincarnate untill that Hollow is purified. But the practice was discontinued because it was considered 'inhumane'."

"Inhumane to the Hollows."

Li puts the paper away and pulls another parchment from between the book's pages. "This is from 400 hundred years ago: 'By degree of us Central 42, all execution by Hollows, as well as pitting Hollows against each other in gladiator fights, is henceforth deemed illegal. It is unethical and, frankly, against everything we Shinigami stand for to let lost souls keep suffering because it is convenient or amusing to us. Such enslavement of the deceased shall no longer be tolerated. All captured Hollows shall be purified at once and all executions put on hold untill alternate means can be found. Anyone who is found to keep Hollows as slaves after the end of this year shall be stripped of their rank and put on trial.' "

Li hands the parchment to Koutarou. "We don't fight Hollows because they're our enemies. We don't fight them to protect Earth - frankly, Earth is not our business, and the less we interfere with living humans or the Rukon, the better. We don't fight them, even, because they're a threat to the balance of souls. As long as even single Shinigami exists, all souls devoured by Hollows can be returned to the wheel of life." Li returns to Li's drawing.

"We fight Hollows to save them. That is our purpose. We exists for the benefit of all deceased souls, human and Hollow alike. That is what it means to be a Shinigami."

"So the question becomes: are the people we are fighting still Hollows? Or are they Shinigami?"

Li presents the drawing back to Koutarou. This time, a line has been drawn from Human, to Sho, to Shinigami, as well as from Hollow, to mock-Arrancar, to the uniformed Arrancar - and above the Shinigami and uniformed Arrancar, the lines converge in a question mark.

"Have you ever had a Hollow beg you to kill it? That occasionally happens. It happens because a Hollow with its Mask broken, even if temporarily, resumes its former identity and reason. For obvious reasons, they are usually horrified by what they have done. Of course, usually the Mask grows back, and the Hollow returns to being controlled by base instincts."

"But Arrancars are different. Their Masks never grow back. For them to stand before our walls and challenge us instead of begging means they have come to terms with themselves. They know something that we don't."

"According to Hishikawa Setsurou, Hollows have found to replicate this... let's call it Arrancarification. So far, this was only known to me and him. I've not told anyone else yet, and for a very good reason. I fear that if I had, I would have been pressured to attack this Hollows now."

There is a rather agonized look in the Commander's eyes. It's apparent the elder does not like being in this position in the slightest. "It is starkly evident that evolution of Hollows if convergent with that of Shinigami. If we are Shinigami born from Humans, Arrancar are Shinigami born out of Hollows!." With the pen, Li beckons to the pile of books. "I spent better part of last night collecting all reports on Arrancars we have. It wasn't much. Prior to Scarlet Garden, Gotei had encountered only 147 of them. That's one every ten years of our existence, roughly. 77 of them were 'sighting only'. Of the rest, only 19 specimens were slain and recovered for examination. That amounts to 13 partial and 6 full autopsies. Only three were conducted with full benefit from modern methodology - the rest were pretty much garbage. But those three were more than clear: morphology and biology of Arrancars more closely resembles that of Shinigami, than it does that of Hollows. Two of them even had functional Hakusui and Chain of Fate! That means they generate Reiatsu in the same way as we do. I do not know how that is possible, but it's the way things stand."

Li sighs, the elder's head drooping and eyes staring at the floor. "I can not, in face of all this evidence, consider these foes Hollows anymore. There are some of us, like Kiba-san, who think it changes nothing that these creatures no longer have their Masks. But it changes everything! We are not men fighting beasts anymore. We are men fighting men! This is a clash of two different cultures!"

Li lifts Li's head, giving Koutarou a haunted look. "This is not a clash between Shinigami and Hollow, it is a clash between two different kinds of Shinigami. If you've been following what I've said, you should realize how it changes moral weight of this situation, moral weight of every decision we have to make. That's why you can't let hatred guide your blade. Our blades. 'A Captain should raise his blade only out of duty - never out of anger.' That adage is what's been taught to every aspiring officer, but I feat it did not stick."

"Likewise is the motto of our Academy: 'Do not seek beauty in battle. Do not seek virtue in death. Do not make the mistake of considering only your own life. If you wish to protect that which you must protect... ...slice the enemy you must defeat from behind.' Few remember what this advice was meant for. It was not for fighting Hollows. It was given to Shinigami in case of civil war, so they would not give leeway for old friends. That it was also applicable against Hollows was just a bonus."

"But it was also given so you would know when to yield. Always sticking to your beliefs and never compromising... is utter lunacy if it leads to destruction of what you originally fought for!"

"That's why I do not wish for open warfare between us and these Arrancars at this juncture. Even in the best case scenario, it will be a pyrrhic victory, destroying this fledgling culture of new Shinigami and also sending us back to a new dark age where every Hollow is just a monster to be slain. Our best hope, is to turn this war from a hot to a cold one. I trust you are familiar with human history of last century? We must make both our troopers and these Arrancars to realize that open fight will lead to mutually assured destruction. The cost of failure is too great."

Kuroimaken
2013-07-06, 10:10 AM
Koutarou considered Li's passionate discourse. He couldn't deny the elder's logic, nor could he deny its implications. He very much agreed with Li's assessment, dire as the consequences were.

"Commander, I believe I've said it before, and I will say it again. I do not hate Hollows. I hate to see people getting hurt. For that reason, and that reason alone, I stand up to fight. I would not have become a Shinigami otherwise - it is this very instinct and belief that led me to discover my spiritual power. Standing up for those too weak to defend themselves, even when I wasn't strong enough."

Koutarou's mind flashes briefly back to the instant when he rose up to defend that old man. He was hurt himself, but he couldn't stop. When the old man lost consciousness, his grief and powerlessness triggered the release of his latent talent.

"I fight Hollows because they hurt people. I have found one or two who begged me to end their lives, such as it was, yes - I never took any joy in it, for those were the saddest existences I could fathom. It was still my duty, however.

If there was a way for me to restore their consciousness without having to use a blade, I would be more than happy to do so.

In war, people get hurt and die. Each time I fought, I've always done so trying to minimize damage to my subordinates - admittedly, by putting myself at greater risk. Each time, however, I was confident that I would survive. Other people draw their strength from their loved ones; I draw mine from my beliefs and conviction. What you are saying now, to be honest, does shake that conviction a touch. Not enough to weaken it, but to get me wondering.

But I digress."

Koutarou held out the drawing and pondered aloud.

"Even if we do not hate Hollows, the opposite is not necessarily true. Controlled by instinct as they are, they still possess enough sentience to resent being hunted. I would truly relish the opportunity to take Arrancar as our allies in this duty to save Hollows from their existence.

Realistically, however, the truth is that since they have arisen from Hollows, they may not be so quick to forgive. And the Shinigami that have fought Hollows for centuries - lost family and friends on the line of duty - are just as unlikely to embrace us.

I don't have an answer, and I know it pains you to be in the position you are, Commander. But I need to ask.

How do you propose we support these fledgling Hollow-Shinigami? How do we make peace and ammends with them?"

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-06, 11:04 AM
"Well, like I said, we won't." Li leans back and crosses fingers before Li's face. "Frankly, it amazes me these creatures came and insisted on peace themselves. If I could convince my Captains to go along, we would agree on that offer, regardless of whether the Hollows are being serious. But at least at this juncture, that has proved to be impossible. Yasunobu Sawada is gone. Deserted. I don't know what he is doing or where, but I fear the worst. Kiba-san likewise openly stated he will not stand behind me in pursuit of peace, and has been missing since this morning. Sadly, for all his talk about civil war, I feel he does not realize he is sowing its seeds himself. If he deserts, the rest of the Combat Division, his 'Pack', will soon follow. They are more loyal to him, than they are to me."

"We must make these creatures fear us. Fear us more than they hate us. Hollows are born out of fear, and it is a feeling they certainly understand. Sadly, we have no credibility right now. We can't bluff now, it would be too easy to call. If we were to bluff, our only hope would be that these creatures are bluffing as well. I hope Hishikawa Setsurou and Junrin Arianna can verify whether they are once they return from their mission to this supposed Hollow city."

"But, for now, we must take their claim of strenght at face value. If we refuse, this conflict will turn into an extermination war, and there can be only losers in such scenario. We need... leverage. A new weapon, perhaps. Something to buy us time and a chance to build our strenght."

"The best option, hypothetically, would be to divert their attention to another enemy. Perhaps some third party that is detested by Shinigami and Hollows both. But such party does not exist, as far as I'm aware."

Kuroimaken
2013-07-06, 11:17 AM
"Typically, in such a scenario, the typical response would be 'we create one'. It is, however, both immoral and impossible for us to do so at the moment." This was more of a reflexive remembrance on his study on military and political strategies back at the Academy, spoken out of a need to supply some kind of response than anything else.

"Things may not be as bitter as they seem. There is this one officer in the Combat Division by the name of Masaru that has some interesting ideas about bridge-building between Divisions. Joint exercises, primarily, but they could build from there.

I suspect Kiba-san may be a little less rash than he appears, as well. As hot-headed as he can be, he is not stupid. He wouldn't throw his life away on a fool's errand, knowing those he leaves behind would be in dire straits.

Even assuming the Arrancar are bluffing, their bluff gave them a lot more information than it gave us. We fell for their trap hook, line and sinker."

Koutarou paused and thought.

"No matter how we look at things, we need time. IT's no use to expect a full-scale attack if we do nothing in the meantime. Worse, it'd give away our current state of affairs.

Speaking of that Setsurou fellow, is it true he actually suggested a combat tournament to give us leverage? You think the Arrancar would go for such an insane idea?"

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-06, 11:39 AM
Li lets hands down and snorts. "Yes, he did. It was a ludicrous idea and I really don't see these creatures agreeing to it. But as far as diplomacy goes, it also a harmless idea. At worst, positing it to them will make them consider us a joke, something they are likely doing already. At best, they will take it as a show of moral backbone. The end result is pretty much nill in both cases."

"Sadly, it was still one of the more fleshed-out ideas thrown around in yesterday's meeting, as far as responding to these creatures' offer goes. The rest, like withdrawing of our troops that I announced in my speech, were things that we were going to do anyway."

Kuroimaken
2013-07-06, 12:59 PM
"I'm not so sure. Bloodless competition is a great way to build respect, I believe." Koutarou noted. There was just a tinge of a smile on his face that suggested he might actually enjoy the idea.

"They do have us backed into a corner, such as it is. This offer is a great maneuver when it comes to disorienting us and splitting us down the middle. It takes into consideration a lot of our way of thinking.

If I didn't know better, I'd say Jehoel was once a Shinigami."

Well, he doesn't, really. But there was no evidence to suggest the Primera Espada had been a Shinigami at any point in his life.

"This tournament idea at least pulls us from a point where we believe we only have two choices at a no-win scenario, even if the best case scenario only marginally improves our chances. The peace offering is a binary effect, after all.

Suppose we could change something in that proposal as-is, Commander. What would it be?"

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-06, 01:19 PM
"Nothing!"

Li lets out a bitter chuckle.

"That is the joke here. These creatures could not have made a better a better offer. Violence stops. Hunting of Hollows, the most taxing task of Gotei and one we can't spare resources for anyway, is relegated to them."

"A great deal of thought was put into this offer. It shows they know what situation we are in and crafted it to fit. It is a great piece of propaganda if I've ever seen. There's pretty much nothing objectionable in this offer - only in who is offering it."

Li's ironic smile fades. "The only way to make that deal better would be to demand... I don't know, something from them. Like restricting their actions to some specific country at first. China, maybe. It might be worth a shot for Setsurou to bring that up."

"You're right in that they have us cornered. But this is not a trap. Trap is something you walk into, knowingly or not. But it's they who came walking to us. 'Ambush' would be better, but even that ascribes a level of deviousness to this ploy that is remarkedly absent. No, this offer is an open challenge. Though I guess it is just splitting of hairs."

Li sighs, and then breaks into a fit of coughing. "My apologies. I've done *cough* way too much talking than I should have for one day. I'm still recovering from an illness afterall." Li wipes Li's mouth in Li's covered hand. Some dried blood is left on the silk glove, though it's from Li's burned lips, not the Commander's lungs.

"I suppose we better wrap it for tonight. Let's return to Headquarters." The elder stands up and beckons towards the door.

Kuroimaken
2013-07-06, 02:12 PM
"I doubt they'd stand for it. Worth a shot, I suppose. But...

We need to leave some kind of subordinate clause. Something that allows us to defend ourselves without creating an incident.

If nothing else, our duty remains the same. But so does the average Hollow. I doubt Jehoel can keep them all in line by himself.

He lacks organization, which, while not as an unified front, we do not..."

Koutarou does reach for the Commander when he notices his cough, however.

"My apologies, sir, I should have been more mindful. Do you require anything?"

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-06, 02:54 PM
"No. Let's us go." Li leads Koutarou out of the greenhouse. Once they get a hundred meters away from them, the houses fade from view, like they had never existed.

"That is something I'm glad you understand. It is something Kiba-san, in his indignation, glossed over. Hollows are not some happy family either. In fact, they are their own worst enemy. They are cannibals. There's nothing to eat in Hueco Mundo except for other Hollows."

"I have not verified if these Arrancars require food, like we do. But if they do... their leaders may be pressured to this war whether they want it to or not. Because, well... if they can't eat us, we know who they must eat."

Li remains quiet after those words, coughing a couple of times as they walk through the dark streets. The street lamps have dimmed down, and there's pretty much no-one else around.

Then, they reach HQ barracks. The lobby is still lit, with light welcomingly shining from the door and windows.

"There's one more question I need to answer this night. Inside, you are wondering 'Why me?' I can see it in your eyes." The Commander sighs, turning to face Koutarou.

"The sad truth is, I have no-one else left. Neither Nanoha-san nor Lucita are ready for this kind of responsibility. The other Captains... well, there aren't many left. Tsukino-san? Just as ill-prepared as you. Hishikawa-san? He literally appeared out of the woodwork just now. I maybe trusting him too much as it is. Takeshi-san? He would rather follow Sparrow-sama, than me. Despite our friendship, we don't really see eye-to-eye on a lot of things. Sawada and Kiba are missing, as I told you."

"So, it doesn't really matter who I tell. As long as I tell someone. Might as well be you. Izanagi-sama and Sparrow-sama trusted you, after all." Li gives an apologizing smile and offers hand to shake for Koutarou. "What is your name, by the way?"

((OOC: Kuroi, do you want to move on to the second night right away, or do you want to interact with other characters with Koutarou in the main thread for a break?))

Kuroimaken
2013-07-06, 05:57 PM
Koutarou smiled as Li explained his reasons. He seemed to... enjoy them, such as it was.

The truth is, he didn't have many friends, and many did not trust him so much as tolerate him. He was, after all, a competent officer, tough but fair. But he didn't open himself to people much.

He took the hand and shook it. Firmly, but not too hard.

"I believe in respect for authority, Commander. I'm a soldier - when it comes down to it, the difference between me and any other Shinigami, regardless of Division, is a title. We each have our duties to see to, and if mine ends up being to apply your experience to whatever comes in the following years, that is something I can live with.

I want only what's best for us all. I only hope I am able to see the path that leads that way."

((OOC: I'm fine either way. With the exception of maybe speaking with Sho, Koutarou shouldn't have that many duties outside anyway.))

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-07, 11:56 AM
After bidding good night to Koutarou, Li returns to Li's own quarters - but not before sending one last message for the day.

In the dead of night, a light blue butterfly flutters across Seireitei and sneaks our of the northern gate, disappearing into Rukon in search of its recipient...

---

[Soul Society]
Headquarters, the following night

It is time for the second discourse between Zheng Li Li and Koutarou, but the Commander-General is conspicuously absent. The elder has, however, left a message to Koutarou at the Duty Officer's desk:

"To my Vice-Commander:

I'll meet you at my alchemical gardens at 2100 today. Be at least half an hour early. You can find the greenhouses in the same place as before. Say 被揭示 and they will show themselves to you. You will find further instructions in greenhouse #3."

Kuroimaken
2013-07-07, 12:53 PM
Ooooo, scavenger hunt!

No, Li isn't enough of a playful man for such things. It takes Koutarou a couple of tries to get it right - he never did learn Chinese, after all - but he eventually manages to enter the greenhouse.

He did briefly wonder why plants seemed to make people calmer, however. It looked as if lots of places for reflection sported greenery. Nature itself as a relaxant, perhaps?

In any case, Koutarou followed his Commander's instructions pointedly.

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-07, 01:36 PM
Alchemical gardens

Greenhouse 3 is even darker than 2, and if Koutarou takes some time to admire them, he'll note the specimens in this greenhouse are mostly various sorts of fungi and lichen, rather than actual plants. There are still lots of ferns and other primitive leaved plants growing from amongst them, as well as some brightly coloured exotic sorts that could be carnivorous. They all seem very... lively. Lively in the sense that one of them just seemed to grow eyes and is now staring at Koutarou. One purple-and-blue thing snatches a fly from mid-air.

There's a letter on the workbench. Next to it is some kind of grey cloth, neatly folded into a square. The letter reads: "This is a spirit-sealing cloak. Please wear it and hide in the corner. I will be arriving shortly."

---

Meanwhile at the Northern Gate

Li, meanwhile, is waiting for a visitor at the northern gate, also dressed in a spirit-sealing cloak. It does not prevent anyone from seeing the Commander, but it should prevent nosy people who think it's fun to track people by Reiatsu from getting too curious. It looks the cloak will soon turn out to be handy in a more mundane way as well, as clouds look like it's going to rain soon.

As Li waits, Li's mind drifts back two nights, to the evening prior to the Captain's meeting...

---

Headquarters - the night before Jehoel arrived to make his offer

Li arrived in the Commander-General's office. "Hello, Sparrow-soutaichou. How are you this evening?"

"Feh," the woman responded, her desk covered in papers. She leaned back in her chair, breathing deeply before replying. "Tell me... Li. Do you... do you really think that I deserve this?"

The elder smiled sadly. "That can be taken two ways, Soutaichou. The position of a General is very demanding and esteemed one. It requires a great deal of skill, power, and strenght of personality. In those regards, yes, you do deserve it. You are perhaps the only one deserving it."

"But the burden of responsibility it places on you? No, I don't think you deserve that."

Sally Sparrow - Death - chuckled, throwing her black hair over her shoulders. "I have all those things, yeah, but I'm not responsible enough. If strength is really all that determines who is the leader, then doesn't that mean the leader is a brute? I'd rather be far away, relaxing, dancing in the sun or flying by the moon then here." She idly twirled her writing utensil, a pen, circa 1864. "I have none of the drive to be the leader. And that's really the most important part, isn't it?"

"No. Many times, those who most want power are the least fit to wield it. But you are half-right. Without strict sense of responsibility and duty, it's impossible to lead an organization of this magnitude. Not succesfully, at least."

"And that's unfortunately why I have to ask you to step down."

Death stood slowly, her eyes dragging up from her desk at a snail's pace, as cold as ice when they finally lock onto Li. "So, it's finally time, is it? I suppose that I don't really regret losing the position, it's all work, no fun. I miss fighting. I miss the panting, the threats, the cold steel." She laughed, shaking her head. "I suppose that's just another reason why I was a terrible Commander, isn't it?"

As she moved away from her desk, she looked at Li again. "Tell me then, who is the new Commander? Before I leave, I'd like to know that. Just that."

Li looked sorrowful. "I wouldn't say that, my Lady. You have a warrior's heart. At times like these, I hope I had one too. But you were gone for too long. We have changed. You will do more good alone than when hindered by us. As for your successor, I can't tell. Traditionally, a General chooses her own successor."

"Very well, then. I suppose that I shall take my leave."

As Death opened the door, she sighed. "I will not name a successor. I have reasons of mine own for this, and I have never truly felt that I was, in fact, the Commander in the first place." Shrugging off her haori, it fell, and she smiled, free for the first time in far too long.

"Goodbye, my friend. Let's meet again, in the next life."

Li smiled. "Oh please. I'm not that old yet. I'm sure we will meet again. Hopefully, this disaster has passed by then, but I'm not holding my breath. Remember to write if anything unusual is coming our way." Then something hit Li, and the elder coughed a little. "... oh, before you go, I'm going to need a formally signed resignation. As proof, for the others. Could you do that?"

Death nodded, almost absentmindedly, and pulled out a letter, handing it to Li. "I've kept that on my person ever since the start. Just as a reminder, that I could quit whenever I wanted."

As she finally leaves, she murmurs, "Even if it wasn't my own choice."

Li watched Death leave the office, waving after her. "... if only you knew all I know", Li muttered alone as the light of the setting sun trickled in from the office window...

---

Northern Gate, now

Life, it seems, has a sense of irony. As the visitor finally arrives and the titanic gate guard lets her through on command, Li hands her a spare cloak just as the first drops of rain hit the elder's face.

"Good evening, my Lady. Sorry for bothering you again this soon, but things have cropped up I couldn't foresee. I need your counsel. There are questions to which I believe only you can give answers."

Terry576
2013-07-07, 02:49 PM
Northern Gate, now

Life, it seems, has a sense of irony. As the visitor finally arrives and the titanic gate guard lets her through on command, Li hands her a spare cloak just as the first drops of rain hit the elder's face.

"Good evening, my Lady. Sorry for bothering you again this soon, but things have cropped up I couldn't foresee. I need your counsel. There are questions to which I believe only you can give answers."

The Northern Gate

"Feh."

The woman grabs the cloak from Li's hand, draping it across her form. She looks... different, without the haori. Bizarre, out of place, and unreal. The woman who had been the Commander didn't look as if she was her, she was instead an imposter, a bastardization of the woman who had raised hell and killed those who stood against her in a barrage and onslaught of blackened despair.

She was no longer that woman. She had become the Girl who had Played at Being Queen, and it had gone wrong.

"I don't have any answers for you, Li. I'm Death to my enemies, and Sparrow to my friends. And you know what they say about sparrows, don't you, Li? They're... fickle. They never listen, and they always leave. I've returned to my old life, Li. A life of solitude."

She looks at Li, and her eyes are black, black and deep and dark and all-consuming. They are the eyes of a God, not a man, not a person, but a God and a concept.

Kuroimaken
2013-07-07, 03:06 PM
Alchemical gardens

There's a letter on the workbench. Next to it is some kind of grey cloth, neatly folded into a square. The letter reads: "This is a spirit-sealing cloak. Please wear it and hide in the corner. I will be arriving shortly."

Koutarou didn't particularly understand the need for secrecy, but it wasn't as if he could just... ask. So he did as told, and hid as best he could, in a position that was simultaneously easy for him to spring into action and relaxed enough to be sustained.

Which meant he shifted around a lot. Hiding was not his forte.

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-07, 03:24 PM
From the Northern gate to the Alchemical Gardens

"We shall see about that, my lady. Could you please follow me?"

At 2101, the door of greenhouse 3 creaks open again. Various organisms kept inside tilt as if to see who will step in - or it could be they're just swaying in the draft, who knows. Hopefully Koutarou has made himself comfortable.

Li takes off hood of the cloak when stepping in, so Koutarou can see the Commander's face. Whether the Vice-Commander recognizes the person stepping in in Li's wake is up to him. Rainwater drips down Li's cloak as the elder walks to the workbench and sits on the sole chair around.

"... the reason I called you is because while I'm old, I'm not eternal. In absence of Izanagi-sama, there are still details of our past that make no sense to me. Such as a certain alarm brought to my attention by diligent Reconnassaince officer." Li gives Death a solemn look.

"I brought you here in the hopes you knew your former spouse better than me, Sally. Or Izanami-no-Mikoto, as they used to call you."

Terry576
2013-07-07, 08:50 PM
The Alchemical Gardens

"Hahahaha..." The laugh was quiet and cold, and the hood fell off of notDeathnotSparrownotSally, but Izanami-no-Mikoto, the greatest and grandest of the Shinigami, the first of her name, the wife of the Commander General, and the woman who singlehandedly created the very idea of Shinigami.

"How long has it been, Li? Not since we met, but since you first discovered my secret."

Her hand trailed along the leaves of one branch, and she smiled sadly as it turned to ash before her very eyes.

"Although I suppose I was not hiding very well. "Death"... honestly, such a simple, obvious name. Most do not look hard enough to find the answer, they are far too distracted by my... outer persona. Sally Sparrow. Kind, presumptuous, and too trusting by half. Quick to anger, afraid of her sword."

She looked at Li again, those black pools she called eyes swirling around, so calm and yet so filled with power.

"So Li, I must ask, how long? How long did it take you for you to discover who I truly am - not Sally Sparrow, not Death, but Izanami-no-Mikoto, the girl who played with darkness?"

Kuroimaken
2013-07-07, 10:57 PM
Koutarou did his best to breathe in calmly and just listen.

What the hell was this all about?!

The thing is, there are a half-dozen different ways to discover someone in hiding that do not rely on hearing alone. Completely erasing one's presence is an extremely difficult thing to do, especially when one is trying to focus on it - and the truth is, the Vice-Captain never really had the training for this.

He half-expected to be called out of his hiding place by either party of the conversation. He hoped it wouldn't be in anger, especially if Izanami --

--wait. Izanami?

Koutarou's mind briefly raced back to what little human history he knew. The name rung a bell. The myth of creation, according to the Japanese...

But... in the myth, Izanami died because she gave birth to Kagutsuchi. Izanagi was infuriated so he decapitated Kagutsuchi...

...but then, who is Kagutsuchi in this story?

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-08, 06:04 AM
"It was a fairly trivial problem to solve after I became Academy Chief Instructor a century ago", Li replies, smiling. "The Academy holds records on every student and every Asauchi given to them. Listed with their real names. Your name wasn't hard to find. You arrived shortly after Gotei was founded fifteen centuries ago, and left almost as quickly. Given that Izanagi-sama wrote it down himself, it was safe to presume there was no mistake."

"Recognizing you when you came to our gates was simply a matter of reading your Academy profile. You have weathered time much better than I have - you have not aged a day since then. I wasn't the only one who knew either. Shenryu and Osuma knew too. We also knew you were supposed to be the first Commander-General. It must have occurred to you by now. We would not have thought to give you back your uniform if we hadn't known. We would not have known you had an uniform in the first place if we had known who you were."

"As for how I knew to look for you in the first place? Well, let's say your existence was always bit of an elephant in the room. Izanagi tried to keep it hidden, but as his family and friends died and were reincarnated, their mortal selves only remember bits and pieces of the story, not that it was supposed to be a secret."

"By the time I came to Seireitei, the myth of Izanagi and Izanami-no-Mikoto was already well known. In fact, one of the first questions asked by all Academy students was: 'If the one teaching us is Nagi-sama, where is Nami-chan?"

Li lets out a brief chuckle at the memory. "For a long time, we wondered what had happened to you. At first, I thought the myths were mistaken - it was not islands of Japan you two created, but Soul Society - and when you died your first death, it was Earth you were cast down to, not Yomi."

"Later, I considered it was more plausible Izanagi-sama had just died as well at some point, and joined you as a Shinigami. Did not explain why he was present, and you were not, however. I thought maybe the bit about a Soul King was false, and instead we had a Queen hidden away. But Izanagi-sama shot that theory down himself." Li's smile fades.

"Lately, I've developed a third theory, however. You see, the thing that always puzzled me is this: in the myths, your behaviour following your first death was always described as fitting a Hollow better, than a Shinigami. So why are you the latter, and not the former? First, I thought maybe you had been purified by your spouse. But now I know Hollows can become like Shinigami on their own. Maybe you are just the logical end point of that evolution."

Grasping Hei Lin with both hands, Li leans back. "So please enlighten me, my Lady. When you first died, did you become the first Shinigami? Or the first Hollow? Or was there even a difference back then?"

Terry576
2013-07-14, 03:32 PM
Izanami no Mikoto, the Goddess, laughs, and her laugh is bright and it sounds like bells and roses, all mixed with ash and flame and death, endless death and pain as she stares at the General.

"Both, Li. I was both. I died here, and I fell to Earth in pain and hatred. What did you think happened?"

She waves her hand, and a chair appears out of thin air, the wood creaking with age that doesn't exist as she sits in it with a sigh and a look of peace.

"The Chain shattered. There was no simplicity for it, there was no easing into death. I was executed for my crimes, and awoke on Earth as the first Hollow. And it hurt, Li, it hurt so much, so very, very, very much, and I was... incapable of resisting."

Her eyes glint fiercely, as she speaks and they burn and burn with all the fires of all the heavens and hells while she tells a story of loss and desecration.

"And so I awoke, in nothing but pain and hunger. And so I ate, and ate, and ate and ate and ate, until I awoke once more."

She laughs and stands, and her laugh is evil and vicious and all the things that Sally Sparrow never was and Izanami never should have been.

"And then I kept eating, Li. For months and months, I ate until I could eat no more, and then I awoke for the second time, standing upright and feeling nothing at what I had done to this world I lived on. So I ate more, I destroyed continents with my hunger, and when nothing but desert and dust was left, I ate the beings that thrived on top of it."

Her grin widens, and nothing nice is left in it nothing good. She is not mortal, no, that much is clear. Izanami-no-Mikoto has not a trace of human compassion for others, she only returned for one, and he is not here.

"And when I awoke for the final time, and stood upright, I did not tear off the mask I wore. I was not going to lower myself to the standards of you and yours. And so I was the First Vasto Lorde, the first Adjuchas, the first Gillian, and the first Hollow. And I ate. I ate so, so, so, much. I jumped through dimensions and devoured worlds. I created Hell with my hunger, with the fires in my stomach, and the burning and nothing but fire and death for those who lived there. And then I ATE."

She turns to Li, tossing her hair as she moves closer, and grins widely.

"I can stop now if you'd like Li, I do not care for the story myself, but you asked. And as the Goddess of Death, of Destruction, of all that you should hate, you must understand - there is a reason I am both Hollow and Death God, and it all stems from my titles. Destruction. Death. Desecration. Lover. Mother. All of them, are mine and mine alone. And why do you think that is?"

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-14, 03:49 PM
Li's fingers tap Hei Lin's sheath ponderously as Izanami all but frothes at the mouth. Despite the Goddess's unstable mannerisms, her distressing words and near-psychotic grin, the only thing reflected in the elderly Commander's eyes is interest. "I couldn't even begin to guess, my Lady", Li says with a smile, "Please, enlighten me."

Terry576
2013-07-14, 04:24 PM
"Hmph. Very well, Li. Then I will tell you how I became the first Death God."

She paces around, touching one of the plants, watching it as it slowly dies in her hands.

"After I had eaten so much, Izanagi came. He asked me to stop. I laughed - I was a Vasto Lorde, the pinnacle of evolution! He came down from the heavens, and asked me to stop."

Grins and death dances in her eyes and face.

"I refused. And so we fought. And so continents were destroyed, turned into ash and dust and sand, endless, endless sand."

She looks at Li, her eyes glinting with unfathomable emotion.

"You might know what we made, Li. You've seen it. You've hated it. You've damned it. Hueco Mundo, the home of Hollows. We created it. A Vasto Lorde and a man who would not give up. That is the story of Hueco Mundo. That is the tale of Izanami and Izanagi. He shattered continents to return me to him, in the end. And so when he cut my throat..."

She turns away, staring at the plants.

"I woke up. I awoke with a robe and a sword and a will that could not be denied. And I swore vengeance on all that had wronged me, even against those that I had created in my hunger. And Izanagi stood by my side, as he always did. We created Seireitei, we forged Zanpakuto together in the firelight. We planted ideas in the minds of those like Eibon, deep within his subconscious, for we were GODS among MEN. We made decision after decision that affected all in Soul Society on our own whims and fancies, and then... he left. And I had no reason to remain."

She turns, and smiles at Li again, and its so right this time, hesitation and worry and happiness, everything that Sally Sparrow was and could have been, all wrapped up into a single moment.

"That is my story Li. That is the story of Izanami and Izanagi. That is how I died and rose again and died again and FORGED everything you hold dear. Izanagi and I played the whole world to the tunes of our whims and choosing, and when he left, our song ended. And so the world ends, because there is naught left for Izanagi or I to play. So the Hollows rebel against the Shinigami, and Soul Society stirs up dissent and unrest. And if Izanagi returns, oh, woe betide those who opened the Gates to our song's destruction, for they will BURN in fires that can never be put out, and he will CROW with nothing but HATE for those who destroyed our songs."

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-14, 04:32 PM
A quizzical smile governs Li's face as the Goddess ends her story. "Thank you for sharing this story with me, my Lady. It will make it easier for me to choose which path to lead our organization on." The elder stands up and leans to the cane.

"You've told me all I wanted to know of your history. I wish I could let you go with just that, but there's still two favors I need from you." Li opens one of the work bench's drawers, and pulls out a syringe. "First, could I take a sample of your blood?"

Terry576
2013-07-18, 01:09 AM
Izanami looks puzzled and confused and sad all at once, her story told and her part played, she has nothing left and nothing to say or do, forever and ever.

So she nods amicably, and extends her arm, the pale skin and paler veins jutting out and looking so so at odds with the woman from before, so proud and strong and lively.

"Hnf. Very well, then Li. I have no use for it, take it. Do with it what you will, but remember, and be warned: there are those even stronger then I, and they will strike with the fires of all the stars in the sky if you try to surpass them, if you try to touch them, if you dare, dare, dare, to dream of a station higher then yourself. Do not Li. Do not become like me. Do not be a shade of yourself."

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-18, 04:59 AM
"Thank you, my Lady." Li quickly fills the syringe with Izanami's blood and then sets it aside on the workbench.

"Now for the second favor. Like I said, an alarm was brought to my attention." Li returns to sit on the chair and leans back with a worried look on the wrinked face. "An alarm tied to prison facilities only Izanagi-sama knew of. One facility had already been compromised decades ago, but it was not brought to anyone's attention. Now, three more facilities have been breached, one in Hueco Mundo and two on Earth. The pattern is clear: someone is trying to free the inmates in these facilities."

Li reaches to folds of the Commander's haori and retrieves a Reiphone. "That these inmates are still alive is a wonder in itself, but more pressingly, they are all Menos of the most dangerous sort. The prisoners released so far have all been Adjuchas class. I can't be certain, but I fear they will seek to join forces with our new enemy."

Li hands the Reiphone towards Izanami. "There's one prison, here in Soul Society. I believe they will come looking for it next. It was built far from Seireitei, in a place that used to be in the middle of uninhabited wilderness. However, no-one has visited it in 450 years and Pluses from the Rukon have taken over the area. Ascertaining its exact location will be difficult, but I can tell you it is somewhere in northern quadrant of Ring 49."

"The facility was sealed due to a biological threat. There is a Hollow of great strenght, possibly of Vasto Lorde level, kept in hibernation there. I can't let it fall into the hands of our enemies. Unfortunately, I can't send a search party there without raising suspicion. If the ones searching for this creature are allied with the new threat, it is safe to presume they are keeping tabs on Shinigami activity in the Rukon. I don't have strong enough troops to spare anyhow."

"However, I have already announced you would be in the Rukon. You are also the sole Shinigami entity still feared and respected by these new Hollows, and powerful enough to eliminate the prisoner if it comes down to it. As one not bound to our organization anymore, you have perfect freedom to act."

"Could you retrieve that prisoner and bring it to me?"

Kuroimaken
2013-07-18, 10:16 AM
Koutarou's mind was still burning with activity, though admittedly, said activity had been to ask himself why Li had told him to do what he did.

The Vice-Captain had the distinct feeling that Death already knew he was there, and that she did not call the fact to attention because it did not matter on some level. But not knowing was driving him nuts. He was anxious, yet trying to remain patient - there's no telling what would happen if he were wrong.

Terry576
2013-07-21, 09:21 PM
"Alarms and ancient beings and you and me - Li, are you saying you don't know what's going on? Heh. Of course not."

With a twisted turn and a flash of black, Izanami-on-Mikoto, the Queen of the Dead, the First, hid her smile as she set forth.

"Very well, Li. I'll go. I'll take care of you and yours, but beware of my Blood, Li. Do not let it trick you, do not let it consume you, and above all, above all else, do NOT let it out. It knows, and It seeks and It wants."

And in the back of Li's head a small voice whispers, as entincing and whimsical as Sally Sparrow, offering him all the little things that Li wants, offering any and everything, if only he lets it out.

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-21, 10:55 PM
"Call me when you find it. Good hunting, my Lady", Li says as a farewell as Izanami-no-Mikoto steps out of the door and back into the rain. Then the elderly Commander sighs, the aged shoulders stooping.

The whispering goes unheeded. Or rather, it has gone unheeded ever since the Commander lost a leg to it. But more to the point, Li has already decided on a course of action, and neither warnings of her predecessor or whisperings in Li's mind can alter it. The whispering fades into mocking creak of trunks and rustle of leaves.

Li looks over Li's shoulder, looking for Koutarou's hiding spot. "You can come out now, Ishinomori-san."

Kuroimaken
2013-07-23, 09:03 PM
"Knock ten years off my lifespan, that sure did." Koutarou noted, more to himself than not, as he came out of hiding.

"Honestly, sir, you have me confused. What... was the purpose of this? I think I can say with nigh-absolute certainty that..." He briefly paused as he considered which words to use, "...well, that there's no way she didn't know I was here."

But perhaps more to the point. "Commander. What are you trying to tell me through this?"

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-24, 12:47 AM
Li turns to face the Vice-Commander. "I don't think she noticed you. Neither her eyes or body language suggested she did. If she had senses you, in whatever way, she would've made a show about it. Probably called you by first name. She was likely too fired-up about her story to notice."

Li stands and offers the seat to Koutarou. "Here. You look rattled. Why don't you sit down and collect you nerves for a bit." Taking a step back, Li leans on the bamboo cane.

"There are many reasons why I brought you here. One was to test the cloak. It appears to have worked as intended. But more importantly, I wanted to answer the question that has likely been pressing your mind since yesterday: 'who was the first Shinigami?' If you look at our official records, they would say it was Izanagi. But even at a cursory glance, a dissonance can be found, between myth and history."

"So, what do you think, Ishinomori-san? Do you believe the girl who just stepped out the door was telling the truth?"

Kuroimaken
2013-07-24, 08:09 AM
Of course his nerves had been rattled. Playing hide-and-seek at a professional level with impossibly old entities that had the power to erase you from existance practically by accident wasn't good for anybody's health.

"I don't think she had any reason to lie. At the very least, she believes what she told you is the truth, Commander."

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-24, 08:31 AM
"I know she believes it. If I had expected her to lie, I would not have asked in the first place", Li responds. "That doesn't mean what she told is the whole truth. Or solely true, for that matter."

"How do you think memory works, Ishinomori-san? Do you think it merely records events, so they can be recalled at later point? Do you think that after all these years, her testimony can still be held accurate?"

Kuroimaken
2013-07-24, 08:47 AM
"That's a significantly more complex question, I'm afraid." Koutarou crossed his arms to think. "Memory is contingent on priority. We forget what we ate two dinners past, unless it has been especially delicious and we will want to eat it again, because we consider it not as important. Whether her testimony can be considered accurate would depend on how important these memories were to her - and how much her priorities have shifted over the years. This is not to say there aren't important pieces missing.

For example, if she really is Izanami... then who was Kagutsuchi?"

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-24, 09:29 AM
Li chuckles. "I have no idea. I do know the mythical Kagutsuchi very well, of course. But I have not been able to link him to any real historical person. Nor do I know what became of his soul. I don't doubt Izanami and Izanagi had kids, but they were sadly long gone by the time I was born. Some claim he became the Sokyoku, but that's just another myth."

"As for memory, your thought of priority is correct. But how do we decide on such priorities? Is it a conscious process? Or does it have more to do with subconscious processes of our minds?" Li starts pacing back and forth a bit. "The answer is not clear cut. A lot of research has been done on it however, and one thing is certain: our minds are very poor at remembering facts. They are much better at remembering stories. Know the feeling how everything always seems to make much more sense in retrospect? That is the phenomenom at work in its plainest. Your mind constantly works to link disparate events into a single, causal chain - even if there is none."

"What's more, when you review a memory, it's not like reading a text that was once written down. Rather, every time you revisit a memory, your mind erases the original and the writes it anew, adding context and information that did not exist at the time of the original event. In its extreme, this leads to creation of false memories. It is rather depressing how easily such fakes are formed. This is why I have taken to cataloguing evidence of important events of my life. So I wouldn't delude myself into thinking they were something they were not."

"Repeat this process across centuries, even millenia, and you should see a person's entire conception of personal history warp, to the point where it more resembles a myth than actual events. For example, the soul who was here moments ago was that of Izanami-no-Mikoto's beyond reasonable doubt. However, it is extremely unlikely this is her first incarnation. I find it very much possible there once was Sally Sparrow - but that girl has now become lost as older, twisted memories push to the surface."

"In the same vein, it is very likely she was the first Hollow. Creation of Hueco Mundo... well, it is within realm of possibility, but there's no real evidence one way or another. But destroying continents? Devouring worlds? What would those worlds even be? Planting ideas in the minds of Eibon and other great men? Purposefully forging Soul Society to be what it is?"

Li stops. "They make for way too good of a story. They tie seemingly random happenstance into a single causal chain. And because of that, they are likely false, fabrications of a deluded mind."

"You should realize it by now. You saw how hard she tried to impress me. Sally Sparrow, or Izanami-no-Mikoto, or what ever we want to call her, is a sad example of an actual god developing a god complex. Memories, old or new, true or false, from this life or others, all mingle in her head to create a story of an unconquered, supreme being. And it is very, very hard to convince someone of her power otherwise. That's why I saw it fit to convince her to leave, before that part of her persona takes over completely. The girl who referred to herself as Sally Sparrow did not want to lead, but the woman who refers to herself as Izanami-no-Mikoto does. Worse, she desires to be worshipped. Does the idea of near-immortal God Queen safe in her own omnipotence sound like a good longterm ruler for our organization?"

Kuroimaken
2013-07-24, 01:07 PM
"It does not. 'Diapers and politicians must be changed often, for much the same reasons'. Don't see why this wouldn't apply to military leaders of standing supernatural armies." Koutarou mused. "That is still rather poor explanation for what the purpose of this meeting was, and what we'll do from now on. Drawing from the same parallel, what we do today is likely to be distorted so far beyound our recognition decades from now that it will be as if we'd done something else entirely."

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-25, 12:20 AM
"Maybe." Li takes the syringe, wraps it in a cloth and hides it in Li's haori. Then the commander moves towards the door. "Come. Our next stop is reception room 4 in the monastery. I'll explain the rest there." Of course, there is no reception room with that number in the hospital.

Kuroimaken
2013-07-25, 08:24 AM
Naturally.

Li had always seemed to Koutarou like a secretive man. He hadn't realized just how unnerving the secretiveness was until just now, however. Luckily, given his new position, Li could afford to mantain such a stance.

Whatever the case, Koutarou's job was to listen. So he followed his commander with a nod.

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-26, 02:56 AM
Li leads them through the rain, to small metallic shed some hundred meters away from the main building of the monastery. Its modern looks are very much out-of-place next to the venerable stone building. It's probably been built within the last 25 years.

Inside is an elevator. As Li presses the call button, a voice echoes from the control panel's speaker: "<Voice authorization required>". Li clears throat and speaks: "Captain Zheng Li Lin, Medicine and Logistics." There is a short pause, and then a happy chime accompanied by voice: "<Voice authorization complete. Access granted.>" Li steps in and beckons Koutarou to follow.

The elevator stops some 15 meters below ground. The door opens into a bleak white hallway, with blue electric lights lighting automatically as the pair walks into it. Electric wires, ventilation ducts and plumbing run along the upper right corner. The hallway is some hundred metres long and Koutarou should be able to guess it leads under the monastery.

"This is one of the maintenance tunnels for the hospital. It is also maintenance entrance to our biohazard containment bunker", the commander explains. "Usually we'd use the elevator in the monastery, but I don't want any unwanted attention at this hour. If you didn't guess, this bunker isn't for treating patients. It has a more specialized purpose: it holds a collection of samples from every biological threat encountered by Gotei. There are other similar bunkers, in SSI in particular, but this one's collection is the most flawless."

The corridor ends in a steel door. There is a strange depression next to it. Li draws Hei Lin from the bamboo cane, and places it in the depression. "<Reiatsu analysis complete. Zanpakuto belonging to: Zheng Li Lin, Captain of Medicine and Logistics. Access granted.>" The door opens into an airlock, and as the two step in it, the door closes behind them. Then, a second door opens, letting them into the bunker proper.

Inside, there are three people, dressed in white lab coats. One appears to be a young (17 years approx.) asian girl (?), another a boy (?) of not much higher age, and the last a greying chinese man (?). They all have similarly green eyes, black hair, pale skin with an eerie green tinge, and are all of similar height, 151 centimeters. They all turn to look at the arriving persons in the same second, their timing eeriely perfect.

"Hello, Zheng-taichou", they all greet in unison, then swiftly turn their heads back to their work. If Koutarou takes a moment to observe them, he'll notice their movements are a bit too perfect and systematic, almost mechanical in feel. The three laboratory workers go around doing their work, not seeming to pay more attention to the Shinigami.

"These are Orchid, Leaf and Nettle. They are artificial souls. Due to their artificial nature and special bodies I commissioned to them myself, they are immune to 99% of the pathogens and parasites stored in here. Their cognitive capabilities are sharply limited, but they are perfect for holding repetitive experiments and cataloguing the results. We keep them here almost always. They don't work all the time, of course. They're only doing so now because I activated them last night."

The insides of the bunker are boring, to put it mildly. Save for a second door presumably leading to the monastery, there's just a few lab tables, microscopes and rudimentary lab equipment. One gets the feeling this are is not the one meants for serious research. On the wall opposite to Li and Koutarou, some 7 meters across, there is a third door, and a plexiglass window next to it. Li leads Koutarou to the window, issuing a command to the the old-looking artificial soul as they walk. "Nettle. Enter biohazard examination unit. Retrieve samples #1 and #213. Protocol 1."

Nettle freezes, processes the command, and replies. "Hai." The artificial soul quickly goes through the third door, leading to another airlock, dons a hazmat suit and then enters the examination room. Koutarou can see this through the window. Inside the examination unit, the walls are full of what look like steel archive boxes - not far from the truth, as they are freezer units containing the samples. There's an operation table and much more lab equipment there, as well as something that looks like a giant oven.

Nettle walks to one of the boxes, dials a code to its control panel, and once the box opens, brings out a vial of some white goo as well as big glass jar containing - seriously, what is that thing? It looks like some horrible creature right out of H.R. Griger's nightmares. It would be right at home in a scifistic horror movie made by mortals.

"Remember those alarms I mentioned to Izanami? They were linked to several old prison facilities. Most data on those facilities was fairly straight-forward, but two of the highest priority were encrypted. I couldn't find the password, but I could gather that those facilities were sealed due to biological risk. So I came here and referenced our database for samples added by Izanagi-sama himself. These are what I found."

"The thing in the vial is called a white plague. I'm not sure if you've heard of it, but we had a small outbreak just today. First confirmed outbreak since invention of the germ theory, in fact. The disease was not properly analyzed until lately, but its symptoms have been known for ages. It facilitates forceful metamorphosis into a Hollow."

"But that's not all. Remember what I told you of Shinigami powers last night? How they seem to stick with a person for multiple reincarnations? This disease adds that transcendend quality to Hollow traits. In practice, it works like a load of bad karma - a curse, if you will. At the end of their mortal life, a person suffering from it is instantly overcome by negative emotions and undergoes the change. But it can afflict Pluses and Shinigami too, as in the tragic case earlier."

"The thing in the jar is at least as interesting. It is, for the lack of better description, a soul fragment. From a Menos, potentially a Vasto Lorde. It seeks dead bodies, Pluses, Shinigami - anything it can get its claws on." Claws may not be an apt descriptor. The things the elder is referring to look more like elongated, bony fingers, and a tail-slash-spine. "It then overrides nervous system of their bodies, forcing them to move in accordance of its instincts. In case of a dead body, it will eventually just die due to lack of sustenance. But in case of a spiritual entity, it will eventually fuse with its victim. At first, the fused entity has both Hollow-like traits, and traits it used to have before, but in time the soul will be completely hollowed. Depending on how you look at it, this could be viewed as a flaw in the process, or just result of natural entropy. A functional hybrid would, at least in some cases, be much more useful."

Li turns to look at Koutarou. "I suspect the Hollow I sent Izanami to retrieve is origin of one, or both, of these samples. I also suspects these things were why these Hollows were contained, rather than purified, in the first place. Izanagi, and whoever helped him at the time, wanted to research these entities. However, 1500 years ago they did not have proper equipment or methodology. So they had to wait. For a long, long time. The last of these facilities was left to guard of artificial souls just two or three centuries ago. Why they were not destroyed after that, I do not know. Maybe Izanagi still wasn't done with his research, or maybe he just forgot. These facilities were not in exactly easy-to-reach places. Why he chose to keep them in secret, I also don't know. I suspect he would have told either Izanami or me, if not for his sudden departure to Royal Guard. I don't think he anticipated the events that have unfolded."

Kuroimaken
2013-07-26, 09:04 AM
Koutarou looked attentively at the samples. He was oddly quiet, his gaze distant. At first one might figure he didn't quite understand what was being explained to him - he was, rather, trying to figure out answers to the questions Li posed out of habit.

"Assuming these were meant for research, has said research borne fruit? I mean, 1500 years is a very long time, equipment or not equipment."

Frozen_Feet
2013-07-27, 06:02 AM
"Yes. These." Li reaches to Li´s pocket and retrieves something, then puts a clenched first before Koutarou. When Li opens it, Koutarou can see two dark spheres on the commander´s palm.

Artificial and modified souls.

"In principle, creatures like the one in the jar function exactly like an artificial soul. They just consist of Hollow, or negative, energy. If you flip that around by, say, purifying them, you get a positive, or Plus, soul fragment. That´s how artificial souls were originally made, I reckon, before we learned to synthesize them without using these Hollow fragments as a starting point."

"A modified soul is - well, if you put together enough fragments, you should eventually get a whole soul, correct? That´s how modified artificials are made. When they were invented, there was a huge commotion. Some people wanted to discontinue the project and exterminate all modified artificials."

"At first, I though it was because abusing dead human bodies was considered distasteful, or perhaps because it would have lead to needless involvement of earthly to ghostly affairs. There was another reason, however: a modified soul is not a Shinigami. It does not purify Hollows. Rather, just as various soul fragments were fused together to make it, it will continue to absorb further soul fragments to grow - namely the Hollows it slays."

"In other words: modified Plus souls function near-identically to Menos. They just end up with a positive collective entity, rather than a negative one. I don´t know if this ´bug´ was fixed later down the line, but that was the prime reason they were considered abominations before attitudes mellowed out."

Kuroimaken
2013-07-27, 07:21 AM
Wait. That doesn't make sense.

"How could you - we - not know? I mean, Modified Souls are still in use nowadays, aren't they?" Koutarou noted as he gazed at Li's three... 'assistants'. "And that sounds like a very stupid reason to throw them away. Given enough time and nurturing, a modified soul could conceivably become a Shinigami down the line. Our skills could conceivably rise out of anyone with sufficient spiritual power if given proper training, and a Modified Soul is no different."

While he tried not to get ahead of himself, the thought bubbling inside Koutarou's brain wouldn't give it a rest. There WAS a possibility Li had already considered and tested this.

"...Commander... are you suggesting we shore up the current lack of manpower in Soul Society's ranks by filling it with modified souls?"

Frozen_Feet
2013-08-03, 07:07 AM
"Of course someone knew", Li states flatly. "How else could I have found out this much? There is not much information mainly because modified artificials form a tiny fraction of our forces. There are... I think, less than hundred such artificials in active duty at the moment. Ordinary non-combat artificials outnumber them 20 to 1. I'm not an expert in making them, so of course there is a lot I can't tell you as of now. I've yet to cross-reference contemporary SSI research on the subject, mainly because their indexing is a mess."

Li sighs and pockets the orbs again. "I'm seriously considering that idea, yes. If we were to field every extant Gigai, we could conceivably double our forces. The problem is, we don't have enough modified artificials ready. Normal artificial souls are useless as warriors. If we were to scrape the bottom of our resources, we could field maybe one Division's worth of modsouls. They would still require training to function as a group, as well. Overall, serious implementation of this scheme would take 1 to 2 years of time. It's a great idea, but not a solution to our current dilemma."

Li points at the vial behing the glass. "There are no easy get-outs for our organization. As such, I'm preparing for the worst case scenario. Remember what I said, of us Shinigami? That as long as even one of us exists, Hollows can be returned to the cycle of life?"

The commander lets the hand drop. "I'm going to alter that disease. Make it so that it turns its victim not into a Hollow, but a Shinigami. To that end, I have already began analyzing my own blood. Now that I have Izanami's, our progenitor's, as well, I'm fairly sure I can find the common factors that give us our power. Yes, it sounds far-fetched in this land of ghosts, but if there were no such factors, that disease could not work either. Whatever transcendend qualities they imprint on our very souls, those qualities must have physical manifestations in our incarnations, whether those be made of Reishi or earthly matter."

Li retrieves the syringe filled with Izanami's blood, then looks behind and calls out to the girly artificial. "Orchid. Enter biohazard examination unit. Add new sample. Protocol 2." A meek "Hai" comes from behind Koutarou, and then the assistant comes to take the vial from the commander.

"If Seireitei falls, I'm going to release the modified disease into the Rukon. Gotei may be doomed, but Shinigami will continue to exist regardless."

Kuroimaken
2013-08-03, 09:15 AM
Koutarou seemed at a loss. He couldn't begin to fathom the chain of events leading to such a measure.

The reasoning was solid. It was sound, even.

It still meant unleashing biological warfare on the very people the Shinigami were sworn to protect. Admittedly, if no Shinigami lived, then the citizens of Rukongai were still doomed. The effectiveness of such a measure was still in the air, however - Seireitei's greatest strength lie in organization rather than sheer numbers, and it wasn't until the Shinigami stopped fighting each other that they even managed to form such an organization. Left to their own devices, how would the citizens of Rukongai react?

"Commander. I'm aware that you do not make such a suggestion lightly. I'm also aware that the situation is dire and this would be the last of the last resorts we would employ.

But if I am to allow this to happen knowingly, then there is something I need you to promise me."

Koutarou put his fist forward.

"Promise me you will do everything in your power and beyond, sacrifice anything, so that this does not become a necessity. That Seireitei will do anything and everything to survive before it must turn on the very people it is meant to protect, even if it means turning tail and hiding.

If you do not promise me this, then I will not be able to allow this to continue.

Even if it means fighting you."

Frozen_Feet
2013-08-03, 10:32 AM
Orchid, uncomprehending of the tense situation, steps into the airlock with the syringe in her (?) hands. Meanwhile, the Commander looks sadly at Koutarou and his extended fist. "Cities do not, can not turn tail and run, Ishinomori-san. They either stand their ground or are destroyed. Once this city is destroyed, it will mean the downfall of Shinigami culture as we know it. Gotei will fall with it. Even if every single one of us were to escape this very moment, it would mean a permanent change in our way of operating." In the airlock, Orchid places the syringe on a mechanical arm and begins dressing in a hazmat suit.

"Now, there are many more avenues than this that I am looking at. Accepting the Arrancars' offer. Sealing our city to a different dimension. Sending modified souls to war. Founding new divisions and splitting apart old ones. But I can't guarantee effectiveness of any of those. More to the point, I can't promise I will do anything more just for the sake of our survival. I am already compromising a lot by even considering this option, but there are still worse options, lines I am not willing to cross."

" 'Anything and everything' is too broad of a qualifier, Ishinomori-san. Besides, there are still factors you do not know. For one, there is the Royal Guard. For two, there is Eibon and his lot." Li beckons towards chairs next to the laboratory tables. "Why don't you take a seat while I tell you of those?"

Kuroimaken
2013-08-03, 10:44 AM
Koutarou reluctantly nodded and sat himself down. He was willing to listen to Li's reasons, even if he found this option he had been just presented unconscionable.

Which made him shudder to think of the lines Li wouldn't cross.

Perhaps he was still a little too naive. Too willing to seek the avenue of least harm.

Frozen_Feet
2013-08-03, 11:18 AM
"First, the Royal Guard. Or 'Division 0', as I often hear it called. We have two visitors from them at the moment, and hopefully I can arrange you to meet both of them tomorrow night. So you don't have to just take my word of them." Li sits down as well, opposite of Koutarou.

"First, what they are called is a bit misleading. Yes, they do protect the King. But they were not chosen for just their combat capability or loyalty. They were chosen from amongst the greatest inventors of Seireitei. Each one of them was a pioneer in some field and changed how we Shinigami conduct our job."

"Second, their task is to protect the King, and the King alone. They are not part of Gotei. They do not exists for Gotei's, or even Seireitei's, benefit. Their standard protocol is to only involve themselves if Gotei has already fallen. Not to defend Seireitei, but to rebuild it from scratch."

"Third, the King's key, the device supposedly left in the hands of the Commander-General of Gotei, is not an external device. It is the very flesh and bones of those who belong to the Guard. This means no-one can enter the King's realm, without help of someone who already resides there."

Li gives the implications a second or two to sink in. "As you should realize from this, Izanagi-soutaichou did not, could not voluntarily go to ask for help. He was taken. At this point, I seriously doubt he will come back before our current situation has resolved itself. He was the founder of Gotei. As such, he is immensely valuable to the King. I feel it is safe to assume he is now officially part of the Royal Guard, and will only act if the King directly orders him to."

Kuroimaken
2013-08-03, 07:25 PM
"Pardon my French, sir, but that sounds a lot like they're a factor that influences in exactly 'jack ****'." Koutarou noted in his first display of real... annoyance might as well be as close a word as any.

Not at Li, but rather the stance of the Soul King and Squad 0.

What is a King without its people, after all?

"By this, you seem to mean that we cannot actually request aid or reinforcement from the Court, but we knew this already. We would have already called in otherwise before the likes of Jehoel even made his statement.

Although it does seem rather interesting that we are being visited by members of the Royal Guard."

Koutarou considered the implications of Izanagi having been taken, but he apparently failed to see the relevance of this insofar as it was something beyond their ability to control - because of what Li said earlier about not being able open a door to the Court without the aid of someone living there.

"And even assuming we COULD bring Izanagi-soutaichou back, we have no guarantees he'd want to return. Or would have a significant enough impact to change the tides of war. He may possess unfathomable power, but he is still only one man."

Frozen_Feet
2013-08-03, 08:19 PM
Li sighs. "I would be glad if I could say with certainty that the Royal Guard will simply sit out this battle. But the issue is not that simple. Like I said, the serve the King, and only the King. If the interestests of Gotei or Seireitei run counter to interests of the King... they have the incentive, the authority, and the power to eliminate us from the picture."

"And that brings us to Eibon."

The Commander's face is stern when saying out loud that name. Koutarou might notice Li's grip of the bamboo cane tightening.

"I said before we Shinigami are not one big, happy family. This particular divide goes a way back, to time before his hospital's founding. It is, indeed, one of the prime reasons this place exists."

"I trust you know of the Order of Eibon, as it included the founding fathers of our Science Institute. But what is less known is why they were called such. It was not just because they were an order of people, under Eibon's rule. It has to do with that famed sorcerer's last words."

"Eibon was an inventive man. A genius, one could say. Based on his achievements, it was almost certain he was going to be offered a place in the Royal Guard. But he chose... differently. Now, I can't say for sure what happened. I wasn't there to witness it. All I know for certain is that Eibon died. Some claim he committed suicide. Others say he was murdered. The truth, is probably somewhere in between. Yasunobu Shenryu and his other followers tried to keep their lips sealed on the matter as well as they could."

"But my teacher, one of the founders of this hospital, caught one of them drunk. And in that moment of carelessness, that person let slip what the great sorcerer had ordered his successors to do. Let me see if I can do this from memory..."

Li bites lip and stays silent in concentration for a while. It starts to seem the venerable Commander has forgotten what was meant to be said, but then the elder resumes speaking:

" 'In my final moments I have gathered you to direct you in the days after I pass. Uplift the small host for in them is the hope we all must strive to uphold. Be cruel if you must. Let them be preyed on by monsters in the darkness. Their suffering will bring them to a level we spirits can never achieve. It may take more than a single lifetime of we spirits but do not despair for our work is just and will continue even when you who stand around me are no longer capable of living on. I leave this in your hand, my final order. Tear down the foundations of heaven and break this cruel cycle.' "

Once again, Li gives Koutarou a moment to process the words. "This, I fear, is the creed that was followed by Yasunobu Sawada, and his adoptive father Shenryu before him. This may be the creed followed in secret by untold SSI members. I trust you can see the problem."

Kuroimaken
2013-08-03, 09:16 PM
Koutarou frowned. He seemed to struggle a little to understand the exact meaning of the words. But it didn't take a genius to understand the dangers behind such a creed. Mentally, he repeated the words to himself to make sense of them.

"I cannot say I understand the exact meaning of this, but... well, protection is one of, if not the single most important duty of the Gotei. I don't think it would be an exaggeration to call such an attitude callous and treasonous.

'Uplift the small host'." Again he continued to repeat the words to himself. It felt like a puzzle. Were the words intentionally muddled? Was the idea to leave behind an enigma for each of Eibon's followers to solve on their own?

"I cannot for the life of me figure it out. Who do these words refer to?"

Frozen_Feet
2013-08-03, 09:49 PM
Li lets out another, weary sigh. "Your guess is as good as mine. Those who knew did not tell. But for what it's worth, I know how my teacher chose to interprete that passage: completely literally."

Li straightens up. "Taken that way, it is a pretty open encouragement of rebellion. Eibon might have been a genius, but like many so-called geniuses, he had his problems with authority. For the bright-minded, it is often hard to grasp that progress often comes easiest in small steps - evolution, not revolution. But he who could conceive a different world each day would have been ready to cast away all things of yesterday in preparation of tomorrow. To my teacher, such thoughts were sacrilege. To entertain them would have been to deny value from all once beautiful and sacred."

Li stands up and stretches back. "Of course, one could ask, did she cut ties with Eibon's lot because she disagreed with them, or did she find them disagreeable because there was already bad blood between them? A woman faced a very different world thousand years back. Regardless, that was the straw that broke the camel's back. Because of that knowledge, she and her sisters departed the Phoenix temple. Because of that they joined Gotei and founded this monastery - to support and uphold the cycle, rather than oppose it. And that is the task she passed down to me."

Li looks at Koutarou. "As it stands, it looks strongly possible that it was Shenryu who engineered this war. I would not be surprised to find some of these Arrancars had his express support. For me to decide on my course of action, much depends on what Yasunobu Sawada ended up doing. Did he leave to join them, or antagonize them? I shudder at the thought of dancing to their, to Eibon's, tune. Whatever they did, they did it for benefit of a very small group. A group that might not be found in Gotei, or all of afterlife, even."

Kuroimaken
2013-08-03, 10:15 PM
"Like the cogs of a machine left running long after its user is dead." Koutarou compared. "Or like a virus in the form of a dangerous strain of thought. Give some a grasp at deciphering the last enigma left by a genius and you have enough people in all the wrong positions doing what they must by their egos. Worst kind of fanatism - it seeks affirmation and validation that only history will judge."

"And yet we can't even be sure these were Eibon's last words."

Frozen_Feet
2013-08-03, 10:28 PM
"In that you are right, sad as it is." Li puts the cane asides and opens one of the laboratory table drawers. "I wake up each morning hoping to find the piece of this puzzle that would make it all fall in place. But each new piece of information just reveals the puzzle is even larger that I thought. Those alarms, for example. At this point, I can only assume they have something to do with our new foe - but what? Or how? I have no idea."

"Ironically, it would have been trivial to find out if they had been triggered a month, or a year, ago. Back then, we could have send as many men as we wanted to look after those facilities. Now, a threat at another front forces us to sit back and hope for the best."

Li pulls out a stack of papers and spreads them on the table. "Now, if you would excuse me, I would rather resume my work with the disease. I have little else to tell you this night. I hope I can arrange a meeting with Kisaragi-dono and Sanbo-kun at the Black Dragon Gate. In the interim, there's a task you could do. Go and check Laboratory Seven at the SSI. Ask them for a headcount of current, combat-ready modified artificials. You are going to need someone from the SSI to guide you. I suggest Castus Vern if you can catch him."

Kuroimaken
2013-08-03, 10:49 PM
"Not yet, Commander. I do have one last question to ask."

Koutarou bit his lip before he spoke up.

"This disease - much as I dread the idea of using it at all, I have to ask. Why turn it loose on Rukon, rather than the Hollows? Would it not be a slightly less horrific choice? From a logistic standpoint, we would diminish the numbers of our enemies in the process.

Given the choice, I would much rather we destroy this entire avenue of research at once. I wouldn't think twice on it, either. I am, perhaps, willing to accept that if even Seireitei must have an end - even if we should all perish and leave the Rukon to fend for itself - we should be better than this. If our goal is survival, then we run and hide to fight another day. It's shameful, but nowhere near as shameful as this. If we are to fight to the last man, then we shouldn't ask that last survivor to change and destroy that which so many fought so hard to protect.

I realize I speak out of turn in this, and that I lack the knowledge and foresight that you do - or even that Yasunobu Sawada did, reckless and misguided though it may have been. But I think it would shame every Shinigami that came and died before us if we took this last resort.

Again. I understand you do not suggest this lightly. But my conscience will not allow me to passively accept this."

Frozen_Feet
2013-08-03, 11:15 PM
Li retrieves a red pencil from the folds of the haori. "Rukon, because I do not have realistic means to disseminate this strain directly to Hueco Mundo. On the other hand, wide-spread contamination in Rukon is trivial using extant Medicine & Logistics waterways." The Commander makes some corrections to the papers on the table.

"Additionally, if these Arrancars betray their promise, I expect Hollows to eat hundreds, if not thousands of Rukon citizens. As the most effective mode of transmission of this disease is consumption of contaminated flesh, using Rukon citizens as vectors should lead to expanding epidemic, especially considering cannibalistic tendencies of Hollows. Due to structure of Hueco Mundo food chain, the disease should be enriched in the most powerful levels of Hollows." Li glances at Koutarou.

"It is mere pragmatism, Ishinomori-san."

Kuroimaken
2013-08-03, 11:37 PM
"PRAGMATISM MY ASS!!"

Koutarou was furious. Logic be damned, he couldn't accept this.

"YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT THE LIVES OF DEFENSELESS PEOPLE OUT THERE! You can't reduce the lives of people to statistics - people who depend on us! People who are relying on us! You're not even giving them one last shot at saving themselves - you're actually serving them on a platter as poisoned food to the enemy as one final '**** YOU' in case we fall!

It's not a logistical scenario - you said it yourself, the Court takes the best and brightest to rebuild the Gotei from scratch if it's destroyed. What you're considering as the worst-case alternative is unthinkable, Commander!

I honestly cannot imagine what horrors you might consider a worse alternative than this. I simply can't fathom anything worse than making our own people sick to decimate the enemy!

For all his recklessness, at least Kiba-san has his heart in the right place when it comes to this. We may exist to serve the Soul King, but a King is nothing without its people!"

Koutarou panted as if exhausted. He really hated himself for such an outburst, but he had to make a point. He understood - or at least hoped to understand - the burdens of leadership Li was faced with.

But isn't the ultimate duty of a leader to make sure each of those under him lived another day? Was that not why people trusted him?

Frozen_Feet
2013-08-04, 12:03 AM
Li puts the pen away and turns to face Koutarou. "... if I'd wanted to, I could have fashioned a parasite that controls minds of those who ate it. I could have spread it through standard Shinigami rations so that you, or Kiba, or Sawada, would not have any choice but to obey me. Or I could have fashioned something far more virulent, that spreads through air and kills its victims instead of changes them. But I am not creating a weapon for war. Destroying our enemies is not the point. Preserving the cycle of life is."

Li places hands behind Li's back, looking calmly at Koutarou. "Crux of this plan is creation of new Shinigami is. Contamination of Hollows is a mere side-effect. Think of it. If the Hollows betray their promise and attack Rukon, part of its citizens will be eaten - out of spite if nothing else. It is unavoidable if the situation progresses to that point. The presence of this disease, or any other, will not change that outcome."

The Commander shrugs. "Of course, from the same premises, we could as well assume many of our own troops will get eaten as well. Would it ease your conscience if I only issued contamination with this disease to Gotei volunteers? Well? The end-result will not be remarkably different."

Kuroimaken
2013-08-04, 12:18 AM
"Are you not forgetting one thing, Commander?

Once a Shinigami, always a Shinigami."

He called back to Li's words the day previous. "In the event of our death, we return to the cycle of life as Shinigami after death. So if the Gotei dies, it only means sooner or later it gets reformed, because eventually the Shinigami come back around.

In other words, the measure in and of itself is unnecessary. Without proper guidance and discipline, you will at best give a lot of very angry, very pained people a lot of strength. That doesn't bode well for any of us. You DO remember why Seireitei was initially founded, I trust."

He considered Li's question. "At the least, you would be giving them a choice. It's not a choice many would take. But still a choice.

Is there no way this can be made to only affect Hollows? To be spread through the air? Anything is better than what you suggest right now."

Frozen_Feet
2013-08-04, 01:09 AM
"In truth, I do not know", Li says. "The base strain of this disease is indiscriminate. Changing what it does appears to be easier than changing how it does it. I'm working with limited time. If I could snap my fingers to make this disease do anything I wish, I would jump at the chance. Alas, it's not simple." Then, a faint smile breaks on the Commander's lips.

"Congratulations, Vice-Commander. You have proven I was not entirely mistaken to entrust this all to you. You still worry of the residents in Rukon. That is good. There are depressingly many Shinigami who don't spare a single thought for them."

Li resumes writing on the papers. "For now, I need you to do what I said and visit Laboratory 7. After that, we can start rounding up volunteers, within Gotei or outside it. Then, if we still have time, we can decide whether to use this strain or not. I sincerely wish we don't have to."

Kuroimaken
2013-08-04, 01:25 AM
"Commander, I will keep this from becoming a necessity if it's the last thing I do. Even if it kills me, I will come back and keep this from happening.

Someone has to keep you in check, even if it's just as a little tug on your conscience."

Koutarou turned around and sighed.

"I will do as you request though."

Frozen_Feet
2013-08-04, 01:31 AM
The Commander lifts the paper up and observes it. "A little tug of conscience is exactly what I need, Ishinomori-san. It's what we all need sometimes. Good night."

As Koutarou leaves, the two artificial souls step back into the main room, now decontaminated and out of protective suits. They emotionlessly resume their dull work of cataloguing experiments and data sets.

Kuroimaken
2013-08-04, 09:31 AM
"Good night, Commander."

Koutarou moved to leave the building. His heart was heavy and so was his mind. But not much he could do about that...

Tebryn
2013-08-09, 08:44 PM
[B][Soul Society]
(Alchemical Gardens)

"You are free to think as you will." The Commander takes another sip. "I will not burden you with pleas to help in my research, then. If, in some point of future, it is deemed my actions were excessive, it means you will not be persecuted as my partner-in-crime."

Li puts the plastic cup down. "So enough of that. It's almost 21:00. My pupil should be here at any moment. My wish is for you to tell him everything about our King and His Guard, as honestly as you are allowed. Do not concern yourself with my opinion when you do. If he is to be an useful replacement, he will need perspective other than my own to make his decisions."

((OOC: This means we're going back to the episode soon, but Kuroi, I think it'd be polite for Koutarou to at least exchange greetings with Castus before that since I mentioned him by name. :smallwink::smalltongue:)

"I will answer any question he may have." Saruhiko answers simply, glancing at the flowers. "What I can answer at least. What have you told him up to this point? I would hate to repeat you."

Frozen_Feet
2013-08-09, 08:50 PM
"Don't worry about it either", the Commander says, crumbling up the now-empty plastic cup and throwing it to the trash bin next to the workbench. "If you happen to repeat something, then it merely confirms to him I was not lying like a rug. I'm sure he'll ask or notify you if he is confused, or feels something is needlessly repeated."

Kuroimaken
2013-08-14, 06:45 PM
((Some unexact amount of time later))

Koutarou slowly headed back to the Gardens. He carried a short but detailed report of the state of the Modsouls, as he had been requested. Though the report itself weighted almost nothing, his conscience felt impossibly heavy.

Put simply, he hated the current situation, and what the Commander called "pragmatism". Perhaps because he had risen through the ranks starting from the rank-and-file, and perhaps because he felt inferior to Li's intellect, Koutarou couldn't ignore the nagging sensation that his superior officer had, in fact, lost sight of what was important - jaded by the consequences of responsibility.

If he did, then it was Koutarou's job to make sure he regained those. But that wasn't an easy thing to do.

Frozen_Feet
2013-08-15, 03:44 AM
Around 21:15, the Commander peeks out of greenhouse 1 to see if Koutarou has arrived yet. Li brightens when Li sees the Vice-Commander walking towards the gardens. "Good evening, Ishinomori-san. We've been waiting you. There's hot water if you want tea." Li opens the door so Koutarou can see the other person inside. "This is Kisaragi Saruhiko-dono, from the Royal Guard. I'll leave you two to talk for a while. Do you have a report on modified artificials? I will peruse it in the interim."

Tebryn
2013-08-15, 03:54 AM
Saruhiko rises to bow before taking his seat, motioning in front of himself. "It is a pleasure to meet you. Koutarou-san."

Kuroimaken
2013-08-15, 09:11 AM
"Likewise, Saruhiko-dono." One might notice that Koutarou's bow is significantly deeper than it probably needs to be*.

"Here you are, Commander. Overall it's simple enough. I also requested an update on the status of our defensive projects under SSI auspices - we may well have need of them soon." Handing Li the report, Koutarou headed over to the chairs to seat himself. "And yes, I would appreciate a cup of tea."

*The angle at which one bows to greet determines how much one recognizes that person as his or her superior. Friends and family typically greet by bowing no lower than a 45-degree angle, often with their eyes meeting (the purpose of a deeper bow is to not look up and stare, and to not meet one's eyes when greeting, which is considered rude when addressing a hierarchic superior). When meeting someone of greater hierarchy or deserving of greater respect or gratitude, however, one bows at a 90-degree angle.

Frozen_Feet
2013-08-15, 11:12 AM
The commander snatches the report. "Thank you. If you excuse me, I now have some orders to prepare. I'll knock when I get back." Li moves out of the door and closes it.

Kuroimaken
2013-08-15, 11:29 AM
"Commander, if you don't mind, I'd like to peruse those orders later." Li knew what this was about. "I wouldn't want to run counter to your tactical choices after all."

Frozen_Feet
2013-08-15, 11:49 AM
"Sure." It will be a public order anyway.

Tebryn
2013-08-16, 08:25 AM
Saruhiko waits for Li to leave the room, pouring a cup of tea for the Vice Captain before slowly removing the large scarf from over his face. "A question of mine before I answer all of yours if I may? After this one of course." he adds swiftly. "Do you agree with your Commander Captain...on the issue of these modified souls?"

Kuroimaken
2013-08-16, 09:05 AM
"I'm afraid you will need to be a little more specific, Saruhiko-dono." Koutarou noted respectfully as he accepted the teacup with a quiet 'thank you'. "My understanding is that the Commander seems to think the Modified Souls are inconspicuous enough to put a backup plan into motion. But... how much of this I'm allowed to speak of, I don't rightfully know."

Tebryn
2013-08-16, 09:13 AM
"Speak as deeply as your duty permits Koutarou-san. If you stand by your Commander then I am happy to move on. I am at your disposal in any regards." Saruhiko smiles, finally pouring himself a cup of tea as well.

Kuroimaken
2013-08-16, 10:54 AM
"Well... to be perfectly honest with you, I am at a bit of a crossroads at the moment. No doubt the Commander has already shared some of his less-than-agreeable notions with you, Saruhiko-dono. What worries me is that there may come a time when I'll have to put a stop to things. I have a certain confidence I may be able to do it, physically speaking, if the time comes. But such does not necessarily apply to my heart.

The Commander loathes the position held. I loathe having to serve as a conscience. It's a bit much to bear."

Tebryn
2013-08-16, 06:48 PM
"Duty is always a heavy burden Koutarou-san." Saruhiko murmurs after a long silence, placing his cup down slowly with a sigh. "It is up to you to decide when you draw your blade and draw the line you will not cross. I remember when I was in the order several could not agree with Izanagi-dono. They left to the mortal world in exile after failing to slay him. There are more options open to you than simply stopping it. You understand?"

Kuroimaken
2013-08-16, 07:00 PM
"Had I not been failing to see them at the moment, I'm sure your advice would sound more encouraging, Saruhiko-dono." Koutarou sighed. "I hope, I honestly hope, that it won't come to that. And that if necessary, I can find someone who will aid me in this. But you know what they say about hope..."

Tebryn
2013-08-16, 07:27 PM
"It always finds a way." Saruhiko offers with a warm smile. "The Soul Society of today is steeped in despair and the times are troubled. There is little to be hopeful for but if you give in to it...if you allow that hopelessness to win...you've already lost. Koutarou-san."

Kuroimaken
2013-08-16, 10:02 PM
"You're likely right, Saruhiko-dono. I wish I had the wisdom to guide me at a time like this. I must say I feel... dull, when compared to some other minds in Soul Society. I often wonder why I even rose as high as I did."

Tebryn
2013-08-16, 10:53 PM
"I am not here merely to help your Commander Captain, Koutarou-san. I was never a warrior in my time here in Soul Society despite the climate of Soul Society then." Saruhiko explains, gazing up at the sky with a soft sigh. "The times were worse then. The Rukon was no where near as stable. The Hollows were much stronger...larger in number and size. The mortal world was becoming aware of our actions. We were slowly trying to create order where originally there was none. The founders of this organization understood in their own way that to ride the tides of anarchy and madness...that things had to be done for the greater good of all reality...even if it meant becoming monsters themselves. I lacked conviction then. It is why I was removed from the Order and placed in what you now call the Medical and Logistics Division. I couldn't sell my peace of mind or stain my hands to see a better future. Instead I devised kaido in hopes that some day, connected to one another, our arguments would simply fade away peacefully through discourse. That is not the way of the Shinigami. It is not the way of the Hollow. We are warriors and beasts wearing masks of one form or another to hide the insecurities and worries that plague us. We wear these masks to make ourselves seem civilized and perhaps sometimes it works to hide the bitter pill we must swallow. But I do not say this as a condemnation to Soul Society or my fellow Shinigami, on the contrary. It is by accepting these facts...that we can be petty and cruel, mistaken in our hubris and flawed so deeply that we can work to a state where the mask becomes a raiment. That we can truly live up to the ideal we've created for ourselves to show off to others. But listen to me prattle on. Forgive me Koutarou-san."

Kuroimaken
2013-08-17, 09:04 AM
"By all means, speak your mind." Koutarou replied. "I for one welcome one more set of opinions to draw upon. As a member of Command I've been made to take some very difficult calls. But I've always tried to keep casualties low. That IS what a good leader does, isn't it? He keeps those under his command safe to the best of his ability, while soldiering on for their goals. That is my concept of it, at least. So... as long as I can keep our friends and loved ones safe, I can do anything.

My lack of heart comes from the possibility that the Commander shares an entirely different viewpoint."

Tebryn
2013-08-17, 09:49 AM
"The only right way to live is by how you see it, informed by the experiences you have had. If you feel that the right way to lead is to keep people safe then that is what you must do. However, you must not be so naive as to think you can save everyone. You will experience loss either from time or from tragedy. There will always be those who disagree with you no matter what. They will not be convinced by your arguments or actions. Their determination is equal to or greater than your own. If you are discouraged by this reality then you must give up now and let them move you as they please. If you are afraid a fight will come then you must sheath your weapon and bow to them. It does not matter if they are a child or the Commander Captain, if you lose your determination because people disagree with you? Then you've lost. You must find the middle ground and if there is none you must attempt to find a way to simply agree to disagree. If you cannot do this you must fight. If you feel this is wrong, waiting until it is almost finished is perhaps the wrong time to fight. The time to strike, if you believe a fight is inevitable, is when you are strong and they are weak. This is simple combat basics. It applies to relationships just as easily as warfare."

Kuroimaken
2013-08-17, 11:18 AM
"I would rather there be no need to fight at all. But I'm not so naive as to think that will come to pass within my lifetime."

Tebryn
2013-08-17, 06:47 PM
"You will know what to do when the time comes." Saruhiko nods, slowly picking his tea up. "But I am led to believe this is not the only matter I am to instruct you on? Happy as I am to offer my shoulder."

Kuroimaken
2013-08-17, 09:29 PM
"To be fair, you could fill a couple of encyclopedias with the things I do not know. It would've helped, of course, if the Commander had told me how much of what was shared with me was at liberty to be discussed." Koutarou grumbled.

He tried to consider something first.

"The nature of Arrancar. It seems remarkably similar to Shinigami, but in different ways. The form of release of their power, for example. But I feel there are a lot more things about them that I do not know. Perhaps we could begin with that."

Tebryn
2013-08-18, 05:21 AM
"Consider any question open, Koutarou-san. If I cannot answer I will let you know. Does that seem fair?" Saruhiko asks softly as he moves to look more directly at the Vice Captain. "I am not certain of the Arrancar of this time to be quite honest. Their move, or so I'm told, towards a more structured and peaceful society perhaps indicates that are taking the steps Izanagi-dono, Eibon and the other founders of Soul Society took. Perhaps in time the Royal Palace may even contact them to try and uplift them further. Time will tell."

Kuroimaken
2013-08-18, 08:13 AM
"All told, it is a bit of a terrifying step for them to take. It means they've taken the advantage of organization and turned it on us."

Frozen_Feet
2013-08-19, 05:30 AM
Meanwhile, Zheng Li Lin arrives at the Commander-General's office. Li sits down, arranges them to read them, but stops. Something is bugging the commander. Something Li intended to earlier this day, but got distracted. Li sets Koutarou's report aside and concentrates for a moment. What was it?

Oh yes. Sparrow. She was supposed to call Li immediately after finding the imprisoned creature.

It's been almost a day, and she still hasn't.

Frowning, the commander draws out a Reiphone and dials the number assigned to Sally's phone. Soon, it starts to ring at the other end, where ever that may be. What is she doing?

Frozen_Feet
2013-08-24, 04:23 PM
After several failed calls, the commander puts the phone down. Has something happened to Li's predecessor? It's impossible to tell as of now. Dissatisfied, Li picks up Koutarou's report and begins leafing through it...

... and pales when seeing the numbers. "This is too good to be a coincidence." However, there's only so much Li can do in this situation. A certain saying about a gift horse comes to mind. Quickly, the Commander prepares a simple order, and then returns to the gardens.

Some 30 minutes later, Koutarou and Saruhiko hear a knock on the greenhouse door.

Kuroimaken
2013-08-24, 08:31 PM
Koutarou will see to it, being the youngest of the two. Obviously, he opens up for the Commander.

Frozen_Feet
2013-08-24, 09:16 PM
Li nods at the Vice-Commander. "I'm back. I hope you two had an enlightening conversation." Li hands a slip of paper to Koutarou. "That's the order. I want it to be on every division's table tomorrow. We need to act quickly, there's only two days left." Then, Li turns to look at Saruhiko. "Is there still something you wish to share with my apprentice, Kisaragi-dono, or should we get to talking progresses in medical science?"

The slip of paper reads:
"Order to all Divisions:

All Gigais not yet relegated to service in the Gikon workforce shall be gathered for enumeration at the Central Warehouses. All patrols will be recalled from Earth and all missions outside Seireitei are cancelled untill further notice. Executing these orders will begin immediately. The deadline is two days."

Kuroimaken
2013-08-24, 10:16 PM
"Very well. If I'm understanding this correctly, we're doing a total headcount first and foremost... Are we not already executing these orders on a similar level?"

Frozen_Feet
2013-08-24, 10:47 PM
"I did order a full withdrawal, yes. I'm not sure the message hit home", Li remarks dryly. "Gathering of Gigais is new, though. They are part of personal equipment for patrolling Shinigami. There are hundreds of them lying unused in lockers, and we're going to want them all in one place if worst comes to pass."

Kuroimaken
2013-08-24, 11:36 PM
"Are we planning to stuff modsouls into Gigai? How does that help?" Koutarou asked bluntly. "If it really comes to the point where we must turn tail and run, I don't think a gigai is going to be enough to hide us. Any of us."

Frozen_Feet
2013-08-25, 02:17 AM
Li gives Koutarou an odd look. "Ishinomori-san. I trust you remember what we talked about last night? The numbers you gave me suggest we have several Division's worth of theoretically combat-ready artificials stored up. This significantly alters our scenario. They could be the leverage we need to get out of this mess." The commander waves dismissively.

"What use they'll be, if any, will be seen in three days."

The problem, of course, is that these modsouls were made by SSI, the same organization which is under heavy suspicion for treacherous activity. It is very likely Shenryu and Sawada ordered them to be made. It is questionable if they could be safely fielded in any situation. This whole scenario seems far too convenient, and the commander fears it is a set-up and a trap to further some nefarious scene laid out by Eibon's successors.

But Li doesn't say that, because Li assumes Koutarou has already reached this conclusion.

Kuroimaken
2013-08-25, 08:16 AM
"My apologies, Commander. I fear the stress of this situation may be finally getting to me." Koutarou replied. "We don't know the enemy's numbers, however. The Modsouls might work as a stalling tactic, but even so we have no means to know how effective they will be, given the circunstances.

This especially considers the enemy's newfound ability to produce Arrancar by artificial means. We don't know if that process might be able to affect Modsouls."

Still, Koutarou took a deep bow and proceeded out of the gardens. He was, after all, still duty-bound to field those orders; he merely needed to voice his concerns first.

Tebryn
2013-08-30, 10:17 PM
Saruhiko remained silent for the rest of the meeting, seeming deep in thought, the discussion on the Mod Souls troubling however it wasn't his place to intercede. He did however move to stop Li from leaving, a single hand placed on her arm with a deep frown. "Do they know the price of failure in this?" he asked gently, his eyes searching and perhaps a little mournful.

Frozen_Feet
2013-08-31, 05:09 AM
Li stops, and turns to look at Saruhiko, smiling sadly. "To be honest, I'm not sure even I know them. We're past the event horizon here. Whatever predictions of future I can make are so fragile, a single word could shatter them." Li's smile fades. "But as far as imminent destruction of Gotei and end of Shinigami era as rulers of afterlife go, they are all at least dimly aware of the possibility. I'm afraid the true implications of such event escape majority of them, sadly."

"Now, was there a medical invention you'd like to talk about?"

Tebryn
2013-08-31, 06:15 AM
Li stops, and turns to look at Saruhiko, smiling sadly. "To be honest, I'm not sure even I know them. We're past the event horizon here. Whatever predictions of future I can make are so fragile, a single word could shatter them." Li's smile fades. "But as far as imminent destruction of Gotei and end of Shinigami era as rulers of afterlife go, they are all at least dimly aware of the possibility. I'm afraid the true implications of such event escape majority of them, sadly."

"Now, was there a medical invention you'd like to talk about?"

Saruhiko remains silent, shaking his head a little as he starts to wrap the scarf back over his face, only giving a fleeting glance to the Commander as Li speaks. "I'm afraid my time as the physician of the Royal Palace affords me little time to work on anything in these realms. Izanagi-no-Kami was my first shinigami patient in almost three hundred years. We're further forbidden to dabble in the affairs of the mortal world. The oken makes our presence more destructive to the fabric of it's foundation than even a Hollow. I leave myself in your capable hands."

Frozen_Feet
2013-08-31, 06:33 AM
"I'll give you a tour through he hospital, then." They leave the gardens, and Li leads Saruhiko to the monastery. "Now, I'm a bit ashamed to admit this, but spiritual arts of healing have not advanced much since your breakthrough", Li explains. "Mostly, it's just different variations on Kaido. I've tried to rekindle interest in alchemy by approaching from the perspective of modern, earthly chemical sciences, but I've had limited success."

After talking to the duty officer, Li and Saruhiko are brought to a large, clean white room, with advanced looking devices of all sorts. The foremost is large, metallic cylinder - a magnetic resonance imaging device, for full-body medical analysis. "The biggest leaps are all thanks to people on earth. This was made by spirits of former Earth experts on the matter. Now, you said you aren't allowed to interfere with the living world, so I'm not sure if you've ever seen a machine like this. Forgive me if this old news to you. It's just, I'm still amazed how much they can do. Without any spiritual power to help them. In but a century, they've closed most gaps in our technology, and even gotten ahead of us in some fields! Did you know they even went to the moon? I don't think any Shinigami has ever even tried to do that."

For a moment, the burdens of Li's position are forgotten, and the Commander beams with genuine joy. Sure, the first lunar landing happened 40 years ago, but to someone of Li's age, that's practically yesterday. It's very much possible that if Saruhiko doesn't stop the elder, Li will go on a ramble on interesting events of recent history and keep going at it for the rest of the night.

Tebryn
2013-09-01, 06:01 AM
"I'll give you a tour through he hospital, then." They leave the gardens, and Li leads Saruhiko to the monastery. "Now, I'm a bit ashamed to admit this, but spiritual arts of healing have not advanced much since your breakthrough", Li explains. "Mostly, it's just different variations on Kaido. I've tried to rekindle interest in alchemy by approaching from the perspective of modern, earthly chemical sciences, but I've had limited success."

After talking to the duty officer, Li and Saruhiko are brought to a large, clean white room, with advanced looking devices of all sorts. The foremost is large, metallic cylinder - a magnetic resonance imaging device, for full-body medical analysis. "The biggest leaps are all thanks to people on earth. This was made by spirits of former Earth experts on the matter. Now, you said you aren't allowed to interfere with the living world, so I'm not sure if you've ever seen a machine like this. Forgive me if this old news to you. It's just, I'm still amazed how much they can do. Without any spiritual power to help them. In but a century, they've closed most gaps in our technology, and even gotten ahead of us in some fields! Did you know they even went to the moon? I don't think any Shinigami has ever even tried to do that."

For a moment, the burdens of Li's position are forgotten, and the Commander beams with genuine joy. Sure, the first lunar landing happened 40 years ago, but to someone of Li's age, that's practically yesterday. It's very much possible that if Saruhiko doesn't stop the elder, Li will go on a ramble on interesting events of recent history and keep going at it for the rest of the night.

Saruhiko follows after the Commander Captain the respectable distance apart, only glancing around when not directly addressed. He can't help but boggle however at the large machine before him, seeming in deep thought until the lunar landing is mentioned. "Quite remarkable yes. Their lack of stability and comfort drives them to achieve it. I hope in another eight hundred years I can visit in more certain times and see just how fast they've progressed. We have nothing like this in the Royal Palace. However for those like us there is no need. Kaido can find any ailment, medicinal powders cure almost all ails. The Spiritual Arts in their hands...I shudder to think of what might come from a mortal with the power of a Death Reaper. I was against the First Division's Division to create the department for Substitute Shinigami, did you know?" he asks, taking a seat. "If they can learn to stand on their own two feet...with their nature so inclined towards crushing anything that might oppose them...how long until they came here? The conditions of Soul Society were much worse back then. If they had known. If they knew now what fate awaited them do you think they would try to ease their future suffering even a little?"

Frozen_Feet
2013-09-01, 09:30 AM
Li lets out a bitter chuckle. "I know. I know the feeling. Each day makes me feel more obsolete. But at this rate, I don't think they're even going to need spiritual powers."

Li sighs. "Every year or so, I have at least one student ask: 'Why is the Rukon such an awful place?' And it always catches me off-guard. I mean, Pluses there don't need to eat and sleep. The weather never gets too extreme either. They have all the free time in the world, with every path open to them."

"It wasn't like that when I was alive on Earth. Every day was toil just to not starve. Every morning, a struggle to stay awake. Every winter, a new chance to freeze to death. Compared to that Rukon was and is a paradise."

"To many of the deceased who come here, it still is. But each generation, an increasing number of people think it's not enough. They say there should be... motorways. Skyscrapers. Computers. And they look at us, demand us, blame us. They tell us we're so much better off, and should feel guilty. And all I can think is 'what the Hell are you people on about?'. The reason we Shinigami do all this, build all these things, till all the fields, grow all the food, is not because we want to. It's because we need to. Without the effort, we would die. We couldn't do our jobs."

Li snorts, Li's eyes cast down to the floor and glazed. "I find it all so perverse. The King has largely withdrawn from this world, the nobles keep to themselves, and they see it as a flaw? Do they really want Shinigami to decide for them? Our name alone should hint them we do not exactly exist to correct all the wrongs of the world. We are not rulers, we are soldiers. Warriors. Nothing but a glorified band of thugs. The less we meddle in the affairs of Humans and Pluses, the better. We should be the last, not the first, line of defense."

Li sighs and lifts a hand to rubs Li's forehead. "... I hoped I would see it, Saruhiko. See a day when we wouldn't be need anymore. When the Hollows vanished 50 years ago, I thought that was it. That we could fade into the background and let Pluses fend for themselves. Oh well. The sooner this situation is over and I can hand reigns back to Central 46, the better."

Tebryn
2013-09-01, 09:54 AM
Saruhiko frowns under his scarf, gazing intently at the Commander Captain before him. "The Soul King..." he murmurs, standing and moving to collect some paper and a pen. "I know what you've been told. I know the...fairy tales...all to well. We're required to enforce them from time to time even. But the Soul King is not something that has ever cared for the condition of the world." He starts to draw x's on each piece of paper, folding them into the shape as he continues to speak in an almost mournful tone. "What you are to mortals, we of the Royal Guard are to you. To us...the Soul King. Everything works under the assumption that the world exists in teirs. From the least to the greatest. The ancient Chinese understood this in their own primitive way. But as one ascends the ladder they become less able to interact with those beneath them. We of the Royal Guard are not merely forbidden from interacting with the Mortal World out of fear our bodies and minds will be tainted will or other such paranoid fantasies. The presence of one with the oken is anathema to the lower world. We would warp reality, mortal lives would...grow weird and perverse. If I so willed it I could move through these walls just as you could move through the walls of a mortal building.

I have done my best to keep my mind focused to remember what it was to be a Shinigami. What it was like to interact with mortals as little as I had to. But those with the Oken are just a little more than a Death God. A little more than Spiritual. The Oken is in our bones and our flesh and it is the true reason we are rarely permitted to return here. How many would accept the offer to serve at the side of the King were they to know just how much they must give up? We are called to serve but in that service we will never truly be free. There are others in the Royal Court Guard who have long since lost their memories of a time before their promotion. You wouldn't recognize them even though you know them. They're not who they were before, perhaps blissful in the ignorance they hold for it. I tell you this of course to further draw the point. The Soul King isn't a person or a thing. It's a force whose presence would wash you away back into the cycle of reincarnation. I imagine you'd be at peace but it is not a theory I wish to test."

He slowly starts to place the origami figures together piece by piece, each connecting and making the whole more complex with each addition. "I suspect with this information you'll ask me then...what happened to Izanagi-no-Kami as I have stated he has joined the Soul King in the Royal Palace. And I mean merely this. Izanagi-no-Kami...was a being born with the Oken without need of it implanted into his being. His nobility and his virtue alone crystallized his spiritual power to a point that he and he alone stood among us all like a God from the mythologies of man. Without this he could never have been permitted into the Royal Palaces. It is the fate of all who serve the Soul King for when a brighter mind arises the oldest joins with the Soul King to make room for the new addition. One day it will be my turn. Izanagi-no-Kami cannot return because there is no longer that being. There is only the Soul King left within the Palace." he places the large paper structure down, regarding it for a moment. "And as my peers who regard mortals as ants and Shinigami as children...imagine then what such a thing as the Soul King must think of them? If it thinks of them at all."

Frozen_Feet
2013-09-01, 10:08 AM
Li shakes Li's head. "My friend, if I did not already know that, why would I resent...?" But the commander stops, frowning. "... the oldest joins the King to make room for the youngest. You seem to imply Nagi-sensei was the oldest. Who the Hell is the youngest, Saruhiko?"

Tebryn
2013-09-01, 10:19 AM
"Izanagi-no-Kami was a special exception to the rule. For his creation of the Gotei 13, creating peace until the current day and for his various other talents and honors he was deemed worthy to join the Soul King." Saruhiko explains though frowns slightly even if the Commander Captain can't see it. "That would be the one who created the Senkaimon Gates, The Yellow Ki-Rin Empress. The oldest would currently be The Black Tortoise King."

Frozen_Feet
2013-09-01, 10:28 AM
"... I see." Li sighs. "My apologies. I've been alive long enough to see most of the current Guard uplifted, but the ones I knew well were those who were Captains at the same time as me. Say hello to Rin for me when you next see her. Her grandkids are doing well."

"I just thought, the way you put it... that the youngest might exists outside of the Guard. That it would be someone you have yet to uplift. I know of no person deserving that existing within Soul Society as of now, so I thought... eh, forget it. If it was an expection, it doesn't really matter. It was a silly misunderstanding."

"Come. I want to show you our new surgery robot..."

Tebryn
2013-09-02, 06:49 AM
"There are few candidates at the current time however there were a few we were regarding with interest." Saruhiko answers softly though nods at the request. "Of course. What is a robot?" he asks though his eyes do have a bit of glitter to them at the prospect.

Frozen_Feet
2013-09-02, 07:42 AM
"You don't know the term? Oh, well, originally it came from a word meaning 'worker', referring to mentally neutered humanoid beings used for manual labor in a play made by humans." Li glances at the ceiling and chuckles. "... very much like our artificial souls, now that I think of it. But then, the meaning evolved to refer to mechanical workers, machines programmed to act automatically."

They arrive at an unused operation room. In the middle of it, there is a hospital bed surrounded by hydraulic arms of various sizes, each with revolver heads with multiple different tools attached. "We *ahem* acquired the designs from a Japanese medical firm. Using a computer, a surgeon can perform operation from another room. It helps keeping things hygienic, and eliminates shaking of hands."

"Sadly we're short of people who can actually use it. I'm completely at loss with it. Besides Nanoha Shigure, only Takenaka Chouko really understands how it works and... the former has unfortunate tendency to end up being the one operated, rather than the operator."