PDA

View Full Version : Cleric of Wee Jas

matijas
2013-07-04, 09:12 PM
Hello, just a few fluff questions. We are starting a Ravenloft Campaign (again!) and i decided on playing a cleric.

My first though was playing a good, saintly like cleric of Pelor and just turn, blast etc. them :smallamused: (I know the setting, played it 2 times, and DMed it once)

The second though was cleric of Wee Jas. Since she is a LN goddess of death and magic, it would be fun to play a cleric with the motto "Yea, they can be raised, and I can rise them, but if they were not raised for the glory of Wee Jas, then we should put them back underground, along with their heretic master."

So, i need fluff advices, and ideas on domains. Was thinking Glory and Undeath (from spell compendium), but i'm asking for ideas.

And yes, advices on roleplaying, or builds, or anything else are also welcome. :smallsmile:

Xervous
2013-07-04, 09:18 PM
From what I've read in 3.5 books...

Clerics of Wee Jas are out first and foremost to gather information and magic. Necromancy and the undead arts come in to play only as a matter of widening the field they can draw this information from. Speak with dead and the like are commonly used.

Liches of Wee Jas are permitted to exist so long as their existence is scientifically justified as part of a project. Once that project is completed, they are expected to terminate themselves.

~

Humble Master
2013-07-04, 09:40 PM
From Complete Divine it says the Wee Jas is focused mainly on magic but especially magic that breaks the boundaries of life and death. Her Clerics come from boarding school like academies. You could build your character as a scholar, searching Ravenloft for magical secrets and such.

fishyfishyfishy
2013-07-04, 09:42 PM
Well if Tome of Battle is allowed, Ruby Knight Vindicator is obviously perfect for you.

tiercel
2013-07-04, 09:59 PM
Depending on how you all run your Ravenloft game, you might want to check if you are going to be subject to Dark Powers checks every time you channel negative energy, cast a necromantic spell, create/command undead, etc. It does tend to be thematic that doing dark (not necessarily Evil) acts gets the attention of the Dark Powers.

This could make for fun RP but walking along the edge of the Dark Side can be a big deal in Ravenloft (esp if you actually fail too many Dark Powers checks).

Cleric is sufficiently strong that straight cleric will do you just fine, though if you are a scholarly type who's more about mystic prowess and investigation than smiting heretics physically, the cloistered cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) variant might be up your alley.

Flavorful (and potentially really useful if you are constantly worried about disguised undead) is the Undying Fate initiate feat from Races of Destiny: by RAW, actually casting deathwatch is Evil, but having an extraordinary at-will version with the same effect wouldn't carry the same malus, plus you add a few themed spells to your spell list.

matijas
2013-07-05, 06:23 AM
From what I've read in 3.5 books...

Liches of Wee Jas are permitted to exist so long as their existence is scientifically justified as part of a project. Once that project is completed, they are expected to terminate themselves.

~

And my undead are there to help acquiring knowledge.
And if used by someone else to grab power that is a no-no.
I'm not at home this moment, will look it up .

From Complete Divine it says the Wee Jas is focused mainly on magic but especially magic that breaks the boundaries of life and death. Her Clerics come from boarding school like academies. You could build your character as a scholar, searching Ravenloft for magical secrets and such.

good idea. :smallsmile:

Well if Tome of Battle is allowed, Ruby Knight Vindicator is obviously perfect for you.

i like ruby knight very much, but losing a 2 spellcasting levels (one for maneuver class, other at RKV lvl 1).
or just one, if i take maneuvers by feats, it hurts me, because we are probably need restoration asap

Flavorful (and potentially really useful if you are constantly worried about disguised undead) is the Undying Fate initiate feat from Races of Destiny: by RAW, actually casting deathwatch is Evil, but having an extraordinary at-will version with the same effect wouldn't carry the same malus, plus you add a few themed spells to your spell list.

will check for dark powers with the dm.
and i love the Undaying fate, fluff is awesome.

(for cloistered cleric, i must check because we usually used fax celestis cleric, and just having a PHB one is an "upgrade")

ddude987
2013-07-05, 06:52 AM
My first though was playing a good, saintly like cleric of Pelor

I think you mean evil cleric of pelor the burning hate :smallamused:

matijas
2013-07-05, 08:34 AM
I think you mean evil cleric of pelor the burning hate :smallamused:

for this Campaign no. but one of my ideas was to play one in a longer (1-20) campaign, where my cleric start as good cleric of Pelor the burning sun, and as he learns about his god, he slowly shifts to the evil cleric of Pelor the burning hate.

(some issues would have to be solved with the DM, but if he knows his fluff, he would agree)

Andezzar
2013-07-05, 08:57 AM
i like ruby knight very much, but losing a 2 spellcasting levels (one for maneuver class, other at RKV lvl 1).
or just one, if i take maneuvers by feats, it hurts me, because we are probably need restoration asapWhile you can manage to take RKV at level 6, you may think about delaying it till level 10 so that you get higher level maneuvers for your one Level in a ToB class.
Cleric 8/ToB Class 1/RKV X, would give you restoration and all other spells up to level 4 at the earliest level and would let you choose your first maneuvers as an initiator of IL 5 i.e. start with access to level 3 maneuvers.

Humble Master
2013-07-05, 09:02 AM
Also, if you take RKV get Quickened spell and plenty of Turn Undead attempts. Once you get 7th level RKV you get Divine Impetus. This lets you spend Turn Undead attempts to gain swift actions which in turn lets you chaingun your Quickened spells :smallcool:

Saintheart
2013-07-05, 09:20 AM
Also, if you take RKV get Quickened spell and plenty of Turn Undead attempts. Once you get 7th level RKV you get Divine Impetus. This lets you spend Turn Undead attempts to gain swift actions which in turn lets you chaingun your Quickened spells :smallcool:

Two problems with that.

One, SRD itself says you can only cast one Quickened spell per round, so unless you've a Swift-action spell you desperately need to cast on the same turn as a Quickened one it doesn't get you that much more benefit than just having a good old Quicken spell + Standard action spell.

Two, Divine Impetus takes a pretty generous DM to interpret it as meaning more than one extra swift action per round. It's not single-syllable explicit, but that thing was intended only at one extra swift action per round for a total of two, not go nova in one round and fire off fifteen Quickened spells at once.

Humble Master
2013-07-05, 09:26 AM
Two problems with that.

One, SRD itself says you can only cast one Quickened spell per round, so unless you've a Swift-action spell you desperately need to cast on the same turn as a Quickened one it doesn't get you that much more benefit than just having a good old Quicken spell + Standard action spell.

Ahh, forgot about the only one Quickened spell per round clause. Never mind then.